Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
I read Goodkind at a time in my life when I was super SUPER into Ayn Rand and even then, at the height of my capitalist/fascist phase, I thought Goodkind was a loving rear end in a top hat.

In retrospect realizing what a complete jerk he was and how lovely his politics were might have been one of the very earliest steps on my road to recovery.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!

Rebel Blob posted:

Terry Goodkind is another one who falls into this camp. How many teenagers read the Sword of Truth series and glossed over Goodkind's abhorrent politics or his full display of his kinks?

This was before the modern internet, so you discovered these series by through friends or wandering around a bookstore. Well-known series like Xanth and Sword of Truth sold well and always had plenty of shelf space.

I read that whole series as a teen but after book 2-3 it became almost more of a hate read to see how much more stupid and vicious the plot could get.

I wonder if Goodkind ever mentally reconciled his protagonist being granted basically everything via prophecy or lineage who nonetheless lectures basically everyone on pulling themselves up by their bootstraps. Probably not, given he wrote his protagonist maiming a child and slaughtering a pacifist society for merely asking him not to be a murderfucker and expected people to think Richard was heroic.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
I made it up to Faith of the Fallen but lost steam a few chapters in. I never really made a conscious decision to stop reading I just completely lost interest.

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!
Didn't miss much. Richard tells a bunch of urban youths to pull up their pants, starts a side hustle that somehow doesn't get noticed immediately in a hellish police state, and then defeats communism by building a statue of him and his wife that instills good judeochristian morals and protestant work ethic in everyone who sees it.

Also kahlan was threatened with rape to start this adventure, but that's practically a given for any book in this series.

Nigmaetcetera
Nov 17, 2004

borkborkborkmorkmorkmork-gabbalooins
I wish someone would threaten me with rape, sparking me to go on a great adventure.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Powerful Katrinka posted:

It's kind of baller that Davis is onboard with people getting weird with Garfield. It's not exactly a surprise he went ahead with the licensing for GarfieldEATS, since that was a possible avenue for more money (lol). Lasagna Cat is just weird for weird's sake and it will never make him a dime, and dude is just like, That's cool, no complaints or take-down requests from me. I respect that

back in the 80s dude published an anthology book and TV miniseries about Garfield's past lives, where he had other artists writing stories about Garfield as The Thing and poo poo. Davis has pretty much always been open that Garfield is schlock that exists to make money and if someone wants to turn it into something more creative, awesome.

A Wizard of Goatse fucked around with this message at 22:57 on Mar 16, 2023

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON
Garfield: His 9 Lives is one of those 'way better than a spin-off thing for loving Garfield has any right being' books

the lab cat test animal life still takes up space in my brain

Nigmaetcetera
Nov 17, 2004

Wasn’t he an advertising exec before he was a cartoonist? Jim Davis I mean.

Renfield
Feb 29, 2008
There's a whole thread about how awful the sword of truth is,

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3668845&pagenumber=1&perpage=40&userid=0#post435631173

It's quite the ride!

Nigmaetcetera
Nov 17, 2004

Yeah I don’t trust anyone who writes fiction for political reasons and not because if they don’t get the story out of their diseased mind they’re going to die of despair.

Anyone have any recommendations like that?

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat
you know maybe i'll finally learn something and not read an awful author just because goons said how awful he was

...right after this terry goodkind fellow

Nigmaetcetera
Nov 17, 2004

Foo Diddley posted:

you know maybe i'll finally learn something and not read an awful author just because goons said how awful he was

Lol

Rebel Blob
Mar 1, 2008

Extinction for our time

Foo Diddley posted:

Have a taste of what you are in for as our adult hero valiantly vanquishes his 8-year old antagonist:

Terry Goodkind posted:

Princess Violet squeezed her eyes shut, stuck her tongue out far as she could.
It was like a red flag.
The strength of the awakened power exploded through him.
He could feel her jaw shattter like a crystal goblet on a stone floor when his boot came up under it. The impact of the blow lifted the Princess into the air. Her own teeth severed her tongue before they, too, shattered. She landed on her back, a good distance away, trying to scream through the gushing blood.

Nigmaetcetera
Nov 17, 2004

Lol that was funny. Not heroic though, like at all, just hilarious.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

at last an author brave enough to tell the legend of the Child Stomper

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe
Terry Goodkind is known for very simple prose that later turns into a weirdly preachy fable where the moral is not clear.

If you have time to read Goodkind, you have time to read something better.

Nigmaetcetera
Nov 17, 2004

ninjoatse.cx posted:

Terry Goodkind is known for very simple prose that later turns into a weirdly preachy fable where the moral is not clear.

If you have time to read Goodkind, you have time to read something better.

Amazon has never recommended me anything by Terry Goodkind. That should tell you how bad he was.

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat

Rebel Blob posted:

Have a taste of what you are in for as our adult hero valiantly vanquishes his 8-year old antagonist:

hmm, i can't decide if that's worse than when piers anthony writes about little girls or not

Jelly
Feb 11, 2004

Ask me about my STD collection!
Terry Goodkind is better than Robert Jordan.

Nigmaetcetera
Nov 17, 2004

Jelly posted:

Yeah and puke is better than diarrhea.

I’m sorry that was rude I’ve only read like 20 pages of Robert Jordan.

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat
he did wheel of time, right? that was just boring, unless it gets really bad after the part where i quit reading

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe

Jelly posted:

Objectively false :nerd:

Nigmaetcetera
Nov 17, 2004

Foo Diddley posted:

he did wheel of time, right? that was just boring, unless it gets really bad after the part where i quit reading

Yeah I quit reading after 20 pages for a reason, I just didn’t want to seem overly rude

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

Redlining my shit posting machine

I got handed the sword of truth and I couldn't get through the first book. It was like page 200 of that guy getting sexually dominated and I just couldn't keep reading that poo poo anymore.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Rust Martialis posted:

From "Dilbert minus Dilbert"

lol

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

Dr. Fraiser Chain posted:

I got handed the sword of truth and I couldn't get through the first book. It was like page 200 of that guy getting sexually dominated and I just couldn't keep reading that poo poo anymore.

But at the end he learns to forgive the dominatrix and she tells him she loves him as he kills her with his magic sword's new power that never comes up again

How could you not be riveted

Vakal
May 11, 2008

rotinaj posted:

But at the end he learns to forgive the dominatrix and she tells him she loves him as he kills her with his magic sword's new power that never comes up again

How could you not be riveted

The actual sword in the The Sword of Truth is probably the most unimportant part of the whole series.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.

StrangersInTheNight posted:

Garfield: His 9 Lives is one of those 'way better than a spin-off thing for loving Garfield has any right being' books

the lab cat test animal life still takes up space in my brain

I seem to recall that in one of the lives he goes feral and mauls his elderly caretaker. I felt bad for her.

Edit: :(

Chef Boyardeez Nuts fucked around with this message at 03:38 on Mar 17, 2023

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!

oh poo poo, I thought that thread died.

I have some catching up to do.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

9 Lives is some real gonzo poo poo, I love that book

BigBadSteve
Apr 29, 2009

Applewhite posted:

I read Goodkind at a time in my life when I was super SUPER into Ayn Rand and even then, at the height of my capitalist/fascist phase, I thought Goodkind was a loving rear end in a top hat.

In retrospect realizing what a complete jerk he was and how lovely his politics were might have been one of the very earliest steps on my road to recovery.

New thread title: Terry Goodkind is a loving rear end in a top hat.

More like Terry Badkind, amiright?

Full disclosure: I don't read fantasy books so haven't read any of his works.

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

glad i got a garf tat and not some dil ink

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe

numberoneposter posted:

Hangin' in there with you, baby~

.random
May 7, 2007

numberoneposter posted:

A real dil ink went

Harveygod
Jan 4, 2014

YEEAAH HEH HEH HEEEHH

YOU KNOW WHAT I'M SAYIN

THIS TRASH WAR AIN'T GONNA SOLVE ITSELF YA KNOW

BigBadSteve
Apr 29, 2009

Prof. Crocodile posted:

It's unclear to me how Harsh Noise Wally differs from normal Wally...

If you view the HNW comics webpage with your browser's ad blocking turned off, you're not lining the pockets of a racist rear end in a top hat with ad revenue.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

BigBadSteve posted:

Full disclosure: I don't read fantasy books so haven't read any of his works.

I don't either, but I do make an exception for Terry Pratchett's Discworld series. You likely already know, but they're pretty much super witty and goofy fantasy parody that, in a good way, still manage to take themselves seriously.

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"
I've read the Lord of the rings, the hobbit and all the discworld books and I think that's literally the only fantasy I've ever read and enjoyed. Maybe also "good omens" if that counts

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

Captain Yossarian posted:

I've read the Lord of the rings, the hobbit and all the discworld books and I think that's literally the only fantasy I've ever read and enjoyed. Maybe also "good omens" if that counts

Go read some Ursula K. LeGuin.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

LeGuin is pretty much better than all her male contemporaries bar like Harlan Ellison or random occasionals like Spider Robinson because she was actually competent at navigating human relationships, sociology, and anthropology. Reading stuff like Foundation really falls flat because Asimov seems like a total moron when it comes to people and like so many male sci-fi authors at the time, has virtually zero imagination whatsoever about the human condition itself. Heinlein was middling to alright about this during his early career, and then he just went famously stupid. LeGuin could not only postulate on the more technical and dry aspects of sci-fi, but was an incredibly lucid writer when she forced you to contend with how human nature would evolve as well. She questioned the gender binary long before it was popular (even though questioning the binary is a pretty old itself) and was fairly critical of the concept of the nuclear family along with harboring an understanding that hierarchal behavior is practically inherently at odds with intelligence - a fairly fatal flaw of our species, since we're intelligent to enough to be highly proficient at creating means of killing ourselves and making our own lives significantly worse, a lot of bad sci-fi authors basically do nothing but endorse hierarchal behavior, usually through some hyper-individualistic lens.
I think she understood that humanity would go through just as much a singularity of consciousness as a scientific one if it would hope to survive and evolve past just being the generic apes we are at the moment.

Octavia Butler was also fairly good at this, but she had really weird homophobic undertones occasionally.

I thought about this a lot recently when I read the Remembrance of Earth's Past books when a friend hyped up The Three-Body Problem and I was struck with pure-strain frustration regarding how one single man can have such a capacity for making concepts that are almost indescribable comprehensible on the page, but then is such a stupid, uncreative, unimaginative dumbfuck that his gender politics and social commentary are the most staid, unbelievably dull poo poo that feels like it was ripped straight out of some dookie rear end late Heinlein novel, but several decades too new to have a reasonable excuse for it.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby fucked around with this message at 17:18 on Mar 18, 2023