Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
went to the Museum of Failure today and it was like a trip down tech bubble memory lane

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mystes
May 31, 2006

obligatory "turn on your monitor"

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
is the website only loading as a scrolling blank page an intentional meta joke?

withoutclass
Nov 6, 2007

Resist the siren call of rhinocerosness

College Slice

haveblue posted:

went to the Museum of Failure today and it was like a trip down tech bubble memory lane

Heresy, the Zune may have lost the marketing war but it was loads better than the iPod.

kdrudy
Sep 19, 2009

withoutclass posted:

Heresy, the Zune may have lost the marketing war but it was loads better than the iPod.

And Zune Pass was better then any other music subscription.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
it was definitely a failure though. a lot of the stuff was products that didn't have anything fundamentally wrong with them, just ended up DOA from badly misunderstanding the market or even were successful for a time and then died off after someone came along and ate their lunch. betamax. minitel. the arch deluxe

of course there was also a lot of hilariously stupid poo poo like bottled water for dogs or an electric face toner

haveblue fucked around with this message at 01:05 on Mar 20, 2023

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

WEL-
COME
TO THE
SOCIAL

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

The Snap Spectacles is a little surprising considering Snap still sells them

https://www.spectacles.com

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

haveblue posted:

call before you come by my house next time.

Khorne
May 1, 2002

haveblue posted:

of course there was also a lot of hilariously stupid poo poo like bottled water for dogs or an electric face toner
buy some juice in a bag and have a $400 in 2017, $500+ in today's dollars, machine squeeze the bag into a cup

brilliant, here's $120m of funding and inevitable popularity with wealthy "health conscious" individuals

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

nudgenudgetilt posted:

sup lyra buddy. the lack of a hard drive was just the start of things to hate about it.

needed a proprietary parallel port cf card terminal

didn't support mp3 from day one -- instead you had to use real jukebox to convert your mp3s to some real format

i never ended up with an ipad but i did get a sony walkman player which actually owned. battery ran forever, played 320x240 video

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

by electric face toner I assume you mean the horrifying rejuvinique

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Shame Boy posted:

bingo

mystes
May 31, 2006

Shame Boy posted:

maybe it's what you use in your face printer, like in mission impossible

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

FCKGW posted:

The Snap Spectacles is a little surprising considering Snap still sells them

https://www.spectacles.com

snap had to eventually write down like 9 figures of inventory on the first model

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

nudgenudgetilt posted:

sup lyra buddy. the lack of a hard drive was just the start of things to hate about it.

needed a proprietary parallel port cf card terminal

didn't support mp3 from day one -- instead you had to use real jukebox to convert your mp3s to some real format

hey lyra buds, i had a hdd lyra with mp3 and mp3 pro support and the worst physical interface i've ever used for a music player

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

withoutclass posted:

ehhh. it wasn’t necessarily any better than an iPod with rockbox on it tho

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Agile Vector posted:

hey lyra buds, i had a hdd lyra with mp3 and mp3 pro support and the worst physical interface i've ever used for a music player

my brother had one of those, and it definitely needed that goofy cf card adapter thing with a parallel port + ps2 port adapter. you couldn't just throw generic mp3 files on there either, you needed the files to be in a very specific format that only the realplayer garbage software it came with spat out

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

lol real media. that’s how I downloaded anime fansubs as a child because it was faster than torrenting something with proper quality

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
remember that shortly after that the music player all the foobar grognards swore by was made by loving archos

mystes
May 31, 2006

OldAlias posted:

lol real media. that’s how I downloaded anime fansubs as a child because it was faster than torrenting something with proper quality
I'm amazed anyone would put up with realmedia quality by the time bittorrent existed

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

OldAlias posted:

#spcentral on efnet

grab those "massive" 30mb southpark episodes overnight, on the nights when you weren't downloading n64 roms for the v64/z64

lovely realmedia files were also how I saw subbed Eva episodes as a sadbrained teenager, which didn't do my equally lovely sadbrained life back then any favors

The_Franz fucked around with this message at 01:46 on Mar 20, 2023

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

BitTorrent came into existence in 2001 when I was 10. with my lovely internet at the time it would often take a whole night to torrent something, but I could download a grip of rm files. I think I only tolerated this in middle school thru early high school

OldAlias fucked around with this message at 03:25 on Mar 20, 2023

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

The_Franz posted:

#spcentral on efnet

grab those "massive" 30mb southpark episodes overnight, on the nights when you weren't downloading n64 roms for the v64/z64

lovely realmedia files were also how I saw subbed Eva episodes as a sadbrained teenager, which didn't do my equally lovely sadbrained life back then any favors

:cheers: and lol I absolutely watched South Park episodes that way too

now I have like, nostalgia for potato encoding, early cd consoles are great for this

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

i had a full collection of simpsons episodes in real format circa 1999

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

rip credit suisse

dc3k
Feb 18, 2003

what.

kdrudy posted:

And Zune Pass was better then any other music subscription.

zune software was also significantly better than itunes in every way. not that that is a difficult task or anything though.

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

dc3k posted:

zune software was also significantly better than itunes in every way. not that that is a difficult task or anything though.

the zune software wouldn't recognize disc number tags for some reason and would always sort multi disc albums like

disc 1 track 1
disc 2 track 1
disc 1 track 2
disc 2 track 2
etc

it drove me bonkers.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

*no longer playable

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

unfortunately they didn't update the logo to past tense

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
anyone who bought anything using that poo poo certainly got played

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Jabor posted:

anyone who bought anything using that poo poo certainly got played

lmbo

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

a medium-format picture of beeftweeter staring silently at the camera, a quizzical expression on his face

lmao someone beat the poo poo out of the juicero

even the plug is hosed up

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Beeftweeter posted:

lmao someone beat the poo poo out of the juicero

even the plug is hosed up

they may have literally pulled it from a dumpster

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

a medium-format picture of beeftweeter staring silently at the camera, a quizzical expression on his face

Midjack posted:

they may have literally pulled it from a dumpster

lol "no... no! it belongs in a museum!"

...they didn't mention which museum

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
they should’ve had one with the casing off, the innards of that thing are impressive

dumb, but impressive

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

haveblue posted:

i love this. indeed some very different kinds of failure, the zune deserving to be associated with the largely empty theranos display only by the word "failure" still being applicable to both.

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

Luigi Thirty posted:

my first mp3 player was an rca lyra with 32mb of storage. that was enough to get me to high school and back on my bike.

i was incredibly jealous of my friend who had one of those creative players with a hard drive inside

Ditto, that little blue pod got me through 7 years of grade school

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

https://twitter.com/ddiamond/status/1637168886721150987?s=46&t=SGjc-kX_f4F_yldTowt91w