Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I loving hate giant trapdoor spiders.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

The most virtuous child in the entire world.
I... see.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/2330750/Cataclysm_Dark_Days_Ahead/

:psyduck:

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

apparently its a DF like situation where you have a paid and the original free versions also available?

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

Yeah, it seems like it's gonna cost $20 and the money goes only to KorGgenT, who is the person in charge of maintaining the Steam release, which will be stable only. If you can stomach Discourse, then the announcement post is here.

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

The dialectical struggle of history has always, essentially, been a question of how to apply justice to matter. Take away matter and what remains is justice.
Lol this is dumb and bad

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

I GNU this would happen!!!

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
Huh, is that really okay to do with a product made from open source licensed code? Like, it must be, legally, but morally it seems kinda hosed that all these modders now have their mainlined work being sold.

tracecomplete
Feb 26, 2017

Vib Rib posted:

Huh, is that really okay to do with a product made from open source licensed code? Like, it must be, legally, but morally it seems kinda hosed that all these modders now have their mainlined work being sold.

It's not without precedent, at least. Vulture's has been a for-sale version of NetHack for a while. The source is open, as it has to be, but the developer doesn't release binaries for free anymore. But Vulture's is largely a one-person show; it was forked from a long-abandoned project and fixed up pretty significantly. This does feel different.

nightwisher
Dec 24, 2004
It's probably go down better if it were free on Steam but with a big donate button in the description. I think it's more for trying to get some more exposure than making huge profit, CDDA seems pretty dead in terms of new players.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:
It would be nice if they look the Dwarf Fortress approach and it ended up playing reasonably well on the Deck but lol, lmao

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

This is absolutely thinking "I can do that" off seeing Dwarf Fortress' success, but isn't going to have even a fraction of the care and effort put into it.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

Vib Rib posted:

DDA itself is under a particular creative commons license that doesn't necessarily permit commercial use actually so someone might be in for a ride

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe

Coolguye posted:

DDA itself is under a particular creative commons license that doesn't necessarily permit commercial use actually so someone might be in for a ride

It's actually under this CC license, which does allow for commercial use. Not sure if any of the proprietary libraries it uses would go against that, though.

Pigbuster fucked around with this message at 08:05 on Mar 20, 2023

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

Galaga Galaxian posted:

This is absolutely thinking "I can do that" off seeing Dwarf Fortress' success, but isn't going to have even a fraction of the care and effort put into it.

Sinatrapod
Sep 24, 2007

The "Latin" is too dangerous, my queen!
From what I can see from the post involving several devs on the subreddit, this seems to be on the up-and-up. From the several central movers who were discussing it, it sounds like they tossed the idea around and nobody else could be arsed to manage the steam side of the endeavor and they feel like splitting it evenly would amount in everyone involved getting basically nothing at all, so they'd the money went to one of the folks intimately tied to the community in exchange for bein the Steam Rep of the game than either nobody doing it or possibly deal with some rando putting it on the platform.

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008
Congratulations to the chosen money-person of the catacylsm franchise. I am certain there is no way having a single chosen money-person who has all the money will cause any long term problems with the project.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
Dwarf Fortress had a massive visuals + interface overhaul, plus a ton of user friendly features added that made it much easier to learn and play. If Cataclysm had that kind of re-imagining, that level of effort, it would be pretty impressive. Just imagine what the game would look like with proper mouse support, with an intuitive UI and control scheme!
But nah let's copy the monetization and not the effort.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

The very notion of CDDA on Steam has me sweating so bad I'm dehydrated and my tiredness is rapidly spiking from mundane tasks. Whew!!!

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

The dialectical struggle of history has always, essentially, been a question of how to apply justice to matter. Take away matter and what remains is justice.
Mood: :(

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Pigbuster posted:

It's actually under this CC license, which does allow for commercial use. Not sure if any of the proprietary libraries it uses would go against that, though.

yea i checked that before i went down to the bottom and what you really want to see is something that explicitly allows for commercial use like the MIT license or whatever have you. that one explicitly says "you have to check out moral rights" and moral rights is a big word for copyright. copyright is explicitly set up to protect commercial exploitation, which the license does not guarantee.

if i were to publish a game on steam (i am actively publishing a game on steam) that would've been enough to scare me off of taking the name wholesale because there's probably dozens of people who could claim some kind of moral right that is being fractured. steam makes it very clear when you sign up that it's your responsibility to make sure you fully own everything and if you don't they will FIND a way to take it out of your hide.

i'm sure there's some crap you can do, like basically make a custom build with visible but easy to maintain changes, and recast it under a similar but less ambiguous license. call it "darker days ahead" or some crap. basically follow the bright nights blueprint only be a lot more scummy about it. but nah apparently someone's gonna roll the bones on just publishing a popular open-source game and hoping to make a quick buck on it.

Sinatrapod posted:

From what I can see from the post involving several devs on the subreddit, this seems to be on the up-and-up. From the several central movers who were discussing it, it sounds like they tossed the idea around and nobody else could be arsed to manage the steam side of the endeavor and they feel like splitting it evenly would amount in everyone involved getting basically nothing at all, so they'd the money went to one of the folks intimately tied to the community in exchange for bein the Steam Rep of the game than either nobody doing it or possibly deal with some rando putting it on the platform.
boy i sure hope they got all this in writing

Arven
Sep 23, 2007
Workers & Resources was just DMCA'd off steam for a month because they implemented a game mode that resembled one that a community member (who also happened to be a litigious law student) helped popularize.

Wouldn't anyone who contributes to the open source version of the game have a similar (better, even) standing here?

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Arven posted:

Workers & Resources was just DMCA'd off steam for a month because they implemented a game mode that resembled one that a community member (who also happened to be a litigious law student) helped popularize.

Wouldn't anyone who contributes to the open source version of the game have a similar (better, even) standing here?

not necessarily but the fact that the question exists at all should be very disturbing to anyone looking at doing things

Truth Quark
Mar 21, 2010

:ffg:
EAT THE DONUTS
Started playing this game, having a good time so far. I'm wondering if there are any guides or tips on "keep an eye for these items" or something along those lines. I rolled a martial artist whose apparent goal in life is to get their black belt, but I'm at the point where I need to find ways to take down tougher enemies than zombies, such as those you would find in a lab. Are there any items I can keep my eyes open for or potentially craft, like solid armor pieces for an unarmed muay thai build, etc? Just general tips are appreciated at this point.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Are you willing to become a cyborg?

Truth Quark
Mar 21, 2010

EAT THE DONUTS
Sure but I think thats a bit out of reach for the moment, I killed one zomborg and got a couple CBMs but I'm not sure I have enough stuff to pay some hack to install them and steal my kidneys.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

One of the biggest pieces of advice I can give a new player is: keep on the look out for an e-ink tablet. If you find one, you can scan books and manuals into it. One tiny little tablet can fit every book in the game inside with room to spare. Then you no longer have to worry about keeping a gigantic library stocked full of recipe manuals, nor worry about keeping a flashlight, reading light, or lamp around. The e-ink tablet has its own light source and is powered by the common batteries you find everywhere.

As for items you can craft, keep an eye out for books that teach you how to craft survivor's gear. The armor requires a lot of investment to make, but it's incredibly durable, it fits you like a glove, and it has enough pockets to let you carry everything and then some. It's fantastic mid game armor that's only outclassed by the really top-end poo poo from Hub01. Naturally the downside to survivor armor is that you need to really invest in your crafting skills to make it. If you're really, really, really lucky, you can find individual pieces on some zombies or ferals, but it's far from a sure thing.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Wtf had no idea e-ink tablets did that. that rules

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Truth Quark posted:

Sure but I think thats a bit out of reach for the moment, I killed one zomborg and got a couple CBMs but I'm not sure I have enough stuff to pay some hack to install them and steal my kidneys.

the punch line to dandy's post is that any tool you see that has a quality you do not currently have is worth keeping. screw turning, fine metal cutting, hammering, nail prying, wtfever. even if you cannot carry it with you, you should move those tools to some place that you know you can find them later.

otherwise you'll get into some kind of craft or project that requires soft hammering and plain hammering won't be sufficient and you'll be like "oh crap did i overlook something at that one nondescript store somewhere on the south side of the city" and you'll spend a thousand years rechecking everything before finally concluding that no, you never had a soft hammering tool in the first place.

if you instead say "huh, rock drilling, not sure i'll need that but i haven't seen it before so into the safehouse it goes" you have exactly one place to check to see if you have rock drilling later.

the way that cyborg comes into the picture is that there's a fistful of CBMs that will put tools into your body and severely limit this annoyance.

by mid game this place will be "the trunk of that one car i managed to find/fix" and this'll be an easier practice to keep up than you think.

Coolguye fucked around with this message at 20:33 on Mar 20, 2023

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

Oh right I should add: e-ink tablets are not waterproof. So you should probably find a waterproof case for one. Or don't take it with you if you decide to go swimming.

I have lost so many gigantic libraries because I got yeeted into a nearby river :negative:

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Related to previous post: a multi tool. Fits easily in your pocket and has low quality versions of almost every basic tool except hammering.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Multi tools are super handy yeah.

Honestly there's loads of stuff that's good to have. I would say personally that I think a combat knife is one of the best weapons in the game. It's not the most powerful but it's quick and hits pretty hard, is virtually indestructable and easy to carry, and usually comes with a sheath so you can quick draw it almost instantly if you get jumped by something.

Later on you can make some high end melee weapons but in terms of practicality, nothing really beats the combat knife (unless the RM fighting knife is still in the game? I recall that used to be better) and the game really skews towards fast weapons which allow you to get the first hit in and then get away before the enemy can retaliate.

As noted a tablet PC or a smartphone is handy too. Smartphones are hard to recharge unless you have a UPS (or possibly a batter charger box, I dunno if those can do it) but they can do basically everything a tablet PC can do, and also function as a music player and a small light source.

You generally want a full set of tools, so if you see a small tool you don't have (or tool set, things like screwdriver sets have fine screw turning capability in addition to just normal screw driving) pick it up and hoard it. Having a full tool set will allow you to do crafting at your base and you will eventually figure out what you want to carry with you for salvaging in the field. A crowbar is something I think it's handy to carry so you can spring open doors without having to bash them down, faster and quieter that way.

Cooking supplies and food are handy. I think a pile of spices is good as it can open up a few recipes and they don't go off so don't neglect those. Something to cook in and a hotplate to cook on will make cooking easier and dried food is always handy to have, vegetables are hard to come by later on. A food processor is very helpful I think because you can use it to do a bunch of time intensive tasks quickly, including making your own flour which is a great stockpilable foodstuff, you can make it from cattail rhizomes via starch, but it's extremely labour intensive without a processor or a wind mill to actually grind the flour.

An arc welder and welding rods are key for metalwork and vehicle modification so those are great to try and find.

Any red book is a manual which can teach you stuff and has recipes in it, building a library is super good either on paper or by scanning them all into a computer.

Honestly a shitload of stuff is very handy. Clothing is probably the other big thing, military/tactical gear is very useful because a lot of it comes with molle webbing which you can stick a variety of different pockets and stuff onto. And a big backpack is handy too just for hauling giant amounts of crap around, just make sure to take it off and stash it somewhere before you try to fight anything.

Guns and ammo are super handy, a firearm of any type can make dealing with very dangerous melee creatures much easier.

I could go on forever really, the game is very wide ranging and a shitload of stuff is useful in some way. Each area of crafting usually has its own set of tools it requires, so there's an entire blacksmithing set you will need to do different projects, a woodworking set, electronics has a set, and some of them overlap.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 21:18 on Mar 20, 2023

megane
Jun 20, 2008

One useful but non-obvious thing to learn is that you can break down almost anything in the game for parts. Most inventory items can be disassembled or cut up or both - if you can’t disassemble something, try dropping it on the ground, standing over it, and pressing B to see if you can cut it up with a knife. This includes everything from boots to corpses. Objects in the world like vehicles and furniture can be smashed, preferably with some big heavy weapon like a sledgehammer but even with something like a rock. Furniture can also be deconstructed from the * menu, and vehicle parts can be removed with Mechanics skill and various tools.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

I actually found a PS5 a few runs ago which I kept around obviously, but never got any games to drop. Where do they spawn normally?

Griz
May 21, 2001

OwlFancier posted:

As noted a tablet PC or a smartphone is handy too. Smartphones are hard to recharge unless you have a UPS (or possibly a batter charger box, I dunno if those can do it) but they can do basically everything a tablet PC can do, and also function as a music player and a small light source.

charger box only works if you take the phone out of the case. you can get music on a tablet via SD cards but smartphone has a better flashlight, can play games, and has a clock and nutrition tracker.

DoubleNegative posted:

Oh right I should add: e-ink tablets are not waterproof. So you should probably find a waterproof case for one. Or don't take it with you if you decide to go swimming.

I have lost so many gigantic libraries because I got yeeted into a nearby river :negative:

I haven't seen any actual cases for anything besides phones but I've been carrying around an electrohack in a condom for waterproofing and accidentally discovered that the e-ink tablet can fit in there too.

also be aware of electric zombies frying your electronics when you get zapped, not sure if there's any counter for that but at least you can back up all your books onto a USB drive via the "external storage" menu option so you don't have to scan them all again.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Oh yeah a smartphone is super good for the calorie app and if you find a fitness band that will tell you how many calories you're burning each day too, which is very helpful.

E: Oh and a pair of binoculars, those will I think double your map discovery radius, and this stacks with bonuses for elevation so if you see any radio towers, tall buildings, grain silos etc, climb them and take a skeg around, fills out a huge radius of the map which you can then use to find PoIs.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 18:44 on Mar 21, 2023

nightwisher
Dec 24, 2004
Zombie grabs have gotten obscenely dangerous in the latest experimentals, goddamn. Get grabbed by 2-3+ zombies and you ain't loving moving til they're all dead. Just running by zombies can cause you to be grabbed, and you're rooted to the spot because breaking grabs seems to be very difficult with more than one holding you. Not to mention the harsh negative effects being grabbed can give now.

nightwisher fucked around with this message at 23:06 on Mar 21, 2023

FrancisFukyomama
Feb 4, 2019

decided to try this game again and is there a mod that restores all the fun mad max scrap guns and pneumatic weapons? I’m assuming they got removed bc it isn’t realistic that a homemade gun would be better than a real gun or whatever but it was nice as a reward for all that crafting grinding to get some cool guns that don’t need gunpowder and can use ammo made out of rocks

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

You can still make a load of pipe guns, I dunno if pneumatic guns are still in but coilguns are because you can make magazines for them, but they will be very hard to craft because they're like, top tier weapons, effectively infinite ammo.

They will be low damage but simply being able to deal with enemies at range without spending meaningful resources is super effective.

There's also a bunch of bow weapons which can become pretty effective with training, strength, and proper ammo.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 10:55 on Mar 22, 2023

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Pneumatic guns are completely gone now. Not just recipes removed, so are the items themselves.
You can still make coilguns and crude rocket launchers, and the Aftershock mod has homemade railguns and a motorised crossbow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!

Dandywalken posted:

I actually found a PS5 a few runs ago which I kept around obviously, but never got any games to drop. Where do they spawn normally?

The PS5 has no games.