Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

otoh I'm waiting for the contract on a new job that pays 40% more so I can get back on track (j/k I will use it to buy a new amplifier and a GPU with raytracing solely to replay Control)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

armpit_enjoyer
Jan 25, 2023

my god. it's full of posts

Broken Machine posted:

oh goodness, i only have one photo of the dear so far, and she's still pretty shell-shocked, so no reposts please

such a dear :3:

e: meet esperanza tech thread, say hi

That's a good cat right there!

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

Wheany posted:

luckily kilju is pretty affordable

lol

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

lets not sit around telling people how they should have been saving when things are going to poo poo for them. personally i am fine with lolling heavily at tech majors stumbling and failing, while being fundamentally sympathetic and hoping for the best for people on an individual level. i don't *really* feel a deep need to rationalize the combination, and certainly not by finding fault with the individuals.

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

someone post that clip of the podcast dickhead talking about how if he was homeless and ask for books outside canary wharf station (London financial district) and simply get a job by "showing he was willing to learn" and not getting shoved into the river by the private security contractors that maraud the place

I mean it worked for will smith in that film I guess

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

heres fart simpsons 5 step plan for saving a lot money:

step 0 (semi optional): be born into a rich family
step 1: get a high paying job
step 2: dont have kids. even better if you dont even have a partner
step 3: make sure all your hobbies are incredibly cheap and can be done at home. spend your whole life on computer
step 4: dont get sick
step 5: dont have irl friends because they might ask you to go outside where youll spend money

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.

AnoHito posted:

i have a decent one that i bought new, straight cash, as a sort of power move.

did they accept gay cash

4lokos basilisk
Jul 17, 2008

i am sorry, i guess i sounded harsh before. my intention is definitely not to call out someone's savings or lifestyle or god forbid what they spend on their kids

i will reiterate though that i - an eastern euro person who has never lived or worked in the sf bay area or any other figgieland prime - assumed that sf bay area faang compensation are more than enough to support a family and be able to save rainy day money

because i also assume that somehow there must be people raising families with non-faang (or even non computer toucher) compensation in that very same sf bay area

and because if sf bay area faang salaries are not enough, then the situation is truly well hosed up for quite a lot of people. sure we've known this for a while, but you know the idea was that computer toucher salary can insulate against that more or less

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.
as a fellow eastern european i got your back homie. earning six figgies is basically an unimaginable level of wealth to me

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.
to have such an unimaginable mountain of cash not be enough, well, that sounds bad

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!
I think the west coast dev scene has seen almost 2 decades of crazy growth too. So it's kinda understandable you lose sight of the dangers.

Even for me in non figgieland, when I went to switch jobs I had companies tripping over themselves to hire me. It's easy to then glance at your emergency fund earning crap interest and question why you bother keeping this thing, maybe I should buy that GPU I completely don't need!

I'm glad I kept it though, and even though my job seems pretty secure I'm gonna doubling my emergency fund pot atleast for a few years until we can better see what's happening with this industry, especially with how AI is gonna disrupt it.

Mega Comrade fucked around with this message at 11:32 on Mar 22, 2023

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

goblin week posted:

as a fellow eastern european i got your back homie. earning six figgies is basically an unimaginable level of wealth to me
:hai:
Free healthcare and rent control is the real privilege. Could earn more as a sign spinner in the US than I do as a senior here but what good would that bring me

:wtc:

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

fart simpson posted:

step 3: make sure all your hobbies are incredibly cheap and can be done at home. spend your whole life on computer
step 5: dont have irl friends because they might ask you to go outside where youll spend money

it's actually that video posted the other day with the two women taking about the money mindset of slapping your mother but it's like an 18mb MP4 and I can't be bothered to upload it

4lokos basilisk
Jul 17, 2008

i know the main thing about us figgielands is that basically the cost of living in these places is insane too (in no small part due to lack of socialized healthcare and needing to have a car), but i did not think this changes the calculus so drastically.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

what i mean is mostly that if i speak as if to an individual i have no idea of the circumstances, it can be as simple as a person who is actually 100% fine and will do great, but has a new kid and is already a bit irrationally worried about the future, and then talking about what they should have saved is likely unhelpful.

also it is in general much less funny angle, which is why i embrace making fun of the tech majors themselves as well as any hn poster that outs themselves as due some ridicule.

man, this got very posting police'y, also :justpost:

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

it's actually that video posted the other day with the two women taking about the money mindset of slapping your mother but it's like an 18mb MP4 and I can't be bothered to upload it

i have no idea what video ur talking about

armpit_enjoyer
Jan 25, 2023

Do you mean this?

https://twitter.com/alexandrakuri/status/1635443972683202561

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

:patriot:

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

lol

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

pretty much all of our extra income goes into a bucket labeled “future rear end in a top hat’s needs”.

( 529, 401k, and ira)

El Mero Mero fucked around with this message at 15:40 on Mar 22, 2023

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

El Mero Mero posted:

pretty much all of our extra income goes into a bucket labeled “future rear end in a top hat’s needs”.

( 535, 401k, and ira)

bit selfish to allocate it all to yourself imo

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

fart simpson posted:

going to marry into wealth

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

would also add another way to help achieve financial independence - take steps to make money less important in your life, and live in ways that don't involve money directly. think about the context of that money, and how it fits. perhaps you could make 50k feel like 250k. maybe you could live on 5k

tk
Dec 10, 2003

Nap Ghost
Bunch of fuddy duddies all up in here trying to save money.

If you need to step up your spending game look at your local Freedom Boat Club or equivalent. Get into boating for less monthly cost than one of those luxury cars up there.

Photography is also easy to spend money on. Don’t you want to know what that bird would look like through a lens that cost more than your car?

armpit_enjoyer
Jan 25, 2023

El Mero Mero posted:

( 529, 401k, and ira)

o7 to you for allocating funds towards the future bombings of margaret thatcher's grave

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

4lokos basilisk posted:

i know the main thing about us figgielands is that basically the cost of living in these places is insane too (in no small part due to lack of socialized healthcare and needing to have a car), but i did not think this changes the calculus so drastically.

we got pushed out of Vancouver BC which is equivalently insane even with socialized healthcare & a train system

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

4lokos basilisk posted:

i am sorry, i guess i sounded harsh before. my intention is definitely not to call out someone's savings or lifestyle or god forbid what they spend on their kids

i will reiterate though that i - an eastern euro person who has never lived or worked in the sf bay area or any other figgieland prime - assumed that sf bay area faang compensation are more than enough to support a family and be able to save rainy day money

because i also assume that somehow there must be people raising families with non-faang (or even non computer toucher) compensation in that very same sf bay area

and because if sf bay area faang salaries are not enough, then the situation is truly well hosed up for quite a lot of people. sure we've known this for a while, but you know the idea was that computer toucher salary can insulate against that more or less
We should make an Eastern European yosposer support thread or something. Low figgies are possible but pretty difficult, definitely not "that's your starting salary fresh from college, plus $500k stock options". I'm sure the $5k mortgages are pretty bad but if you're getting $20k per month from faang that's less than I spend, proportionally. Then you [general you, to be clear] have $15k to spend on bullshit, which I don't.

I do ok but CoLs has been increasing pretty quickly, rent went up 20% last time while the salary only 5%. I manage to save quite a bit but only by avoiding lifestyle inflation. Driving a 20 year old car, staying in hostels when traveling alone, not eating out except for special occasions, etc. It'd be trivial to spend multiples of what I have if I did that or took any of the hobbies (diving, racing, photography, etc) seriously or had a child.

mobby_6kl fucked around with this message at 16:12 on Mar 22, 2023

madmatt112
Jul 11, 2016

Is that a cat in your pants, or are you just a lonely excuse for an adult?

OldAlias posted:

we got pushed out of Vancouver BC which is equivalently insane even with socialized healthcare & a train system

and here me and wife are trying to imagine a move to the Island from Edmonton and all we see is $$$$$$

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

you can’t just thrift your way out of wealth inequality and rampant wage deprivation

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

not with that attitude

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

someone post that clip of the podcast dickhead talking about how if he was homeless and ask for books outside canary wharf station (London financial district) and simply get a job by "showing he was willing to learn" and not getting shoved into the river by the private security contractors that maraud the place

I mean it worked for will smith in that film I guess

The infinitely-better parody has already been posted, but here's the grindset original for those who haven't wretched yet today...

https://twitter.com/TikTokInvestors/status/1630998838843686913?s=20

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

fart simpson posted:

Being on the computer is honestly so important.

Truman Peyote
Oct 11, 2006

OldAlias posted:

this is where i live and another factor is that tech salaries are way lower here than anywhere on the us west coast

TerminalRaptor
Nov 6, 2012

Mostly Harmless

LanceHunter posted:

The infinitely-better parody has already been posted, but here's the grindset original for those who haven't wretched yet today...

https://twitter.com/TikTokInvestors/status/1630998838843686913?s=20

This. But I'm not looking for a homeless guy reading a book. I'm looking for the one jerking off in public. When I see that, I think, "now here's a guy who knows what he wants and is not going to let social conventions or modesty get in his way. This is a man that has c-level management written all over him," and I'm going to give him a job offer on the spot.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

mobby_6kl posted:

We should make an Eastern European yosposer support thread or something. Low figgies are possible but pretty difficult, definitely not "that's your starting salary fresh from college, plus $500k stock options". I'm sure the $5k mortgages are pretty bad but if you're getting $20k per month from faang that's less than I spend, proportionally. Then you [general you, to be clear] have $15k to spend on bullshit, which I don't.

I do ok but CoLs has been increasing pretty quickly, rent went up 20% last time while the salary only 5%. I manage to save quite a bit but only by avoiding lifestyle inflation. Driving a 20 year old car, staying in hostels when traveling alone, not eating out except for special occasions, etc. It'd be trivial to spend multiples of what I have if I did that or took any of the hobbies (diving, racing, photography, etc) seriously or had a child.

if your english is good enough to yospost its good enough to get a remote job in the us paying like... 120k usd tc

which, contractor in odessa i was working with showed me his mansions there. now he lives in berlin but still

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

shoutout to the peeps in eastern europe for not making the figgies they make in figgylane prime dealios

armpit_enjoyer
Jan 25, 2023

bob dobbs is dead posted:

if your english is good enough to yospost its good enough to get a remote job in the us paying like... 120k usd tc

which, contractor in odessa i was working with showed me his mansions there. now he lives in berlin but still

Hey, I'm in Eastern Europe and my English is good enough to yospost, where do I sign up? I'll take an 80k remote job, even.

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome
i think the trick for non-north-americans is avoiding contracting firms that skim all the money off. It can be hard to find a company willing to directly hire someone overseas because of all the legal hassles.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

bob dobbs is dead posted:

I just need to move my contract to a non-poor country with my current employer and then gently caress off to the Bahamas or something. My manager is in the bay area already.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

rotor posted:

i think the trick for non-north-americans is avoiding contracting firms that skim all the money off. It can be hard to find a company willing to directly hire someone overseas because of all the legal hassles.

yeah, gotta have your own llc-equivalent (or an american llc) and stuff