Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

i've given two scathing exit interviews, both to the same organization about a decade apart

toucher gigs at a research center that i hold in high regard managed to burn me, but like a fool i went back a decade later thinking a different team might be a better experience.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

for the love of all that is good, be upfront and honest about your loving visa status during the interview process

we just had to pull an offer from a candidate because they waited until the end of the interview process to ask us to sponsor their now expired visa

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

I've never left a job without moving to a new state and industry, so being honest in exit interviews has never really come around to bite me. Wouldn't recommend that as a life plan, though.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

nudgenudgetilt posted:

for the love of all that is good, be upfront and honest about your loving visa status during the interview process

we just had to pull an offer from a candidate because they waited until the end of the interview process to ask us to sponsor their now expired visa

would it have helped them to be upfront? because it sounds like a good gamble that you'll feel committed enough

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome

nudgenudgetilt posted:

If i was desperate, I would do the same thing - try to make the hiring manager want me badly enough to break a process and sponsor.

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life

ultrafilter posted:

I've never left a job without moving to a new state and industry, so being honest in exit interviews has never really come around to bite me. Wouldn't recommend that as a life plan, though.

Same

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

would it have helped them to be upfront? because it sounds like a good gamble that you'll feel committed enough

rotor posted:

If i was desperate, I would do the same thing - try to make the hiring manager want me badly enough to break a process and sponsor.

we're down to sponsor, and if they'd been up front about it we could have fast tracked them and tried to get in before their deadline. as i understand it now, they're not even supposed to still be in the country.

edit: i'll also say it turned out they weren't 100% forthcoming about their current employment situation -- they'd implied they were still at their current role, when in reality they'd already separated from that role and the visa clock was running for them.

outhole surfer fucked around with this message at 17:24 on Mar 22, 2023

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

nudgenudgetilt posted:

we're down to sponsor, and if they'd been up front about it we could have fast tracked them and tried to get in before their deadline. as i understand it now, they're not even supposed to still be in the country.

ok, cool, a shame then. i was *very* prepared to paint you as the rear end in a top hat here, but happy to learn im wrong

TerminalRaptor
Nov 6, 2012

Mostly Harmless
An anecdote I forgot is I do know of a director getting poo poo canned as a direct result of something someone said during an exit interview. It was in context of something they said about someone else and it kicked off an HR investigation that led to their termination.

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

To Escape The Shackles Of The Old Forums, We Must Reject The Tribal Negativity He Endorsed
i've seen two hires fall through due to people going "oh btw i need a visa sponsorship" at the last minute. one we would have been perfectly happy to sponsor but they just didn't tell us that they had a deadline until after the deadline passed. the other very explicitly lied about their visa status and thought we wouldn't notice or care or something.

SeXTcube
Jan 1, 2009

Well, there’s a good case to not hire otherwise qualified people who withhold or lie about important legal issues.

Edit: unless you’re hiring executive level that is

SeXTcube fucked around with this message at 22:02 on Mar 22, 2023

4lokos basilisk
Jul 17, 2008

i feel like if someone is in a situation where they are about to lose the right to stay in the country due to not having a job, you should not expect them to act rationally or be forthcoming at all. they are just attempting to not have their life hosed over by some immigration bullshit.

so what, they chose the wrong game theory move in this situation, but if they are a qualified candidate you should focus on that part

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

a medium-format picture of beeftweeter staring silently at the camera, a quizzical expression on his face
i would agree but thats like the one part of labor law the us federal government actually cares about unfortunately

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

it might be a good idea to make your visa sponsoring program more clear when you ask, so that candidates feel more comfortable revealing their status.

4lokos basilisk
Jul 17, 2008

just to back this up, i have been in a situation where i would lose my visa if i did not get a new position in 90 days after leaving the last job, and considering that the average job search in that country was something like 6 months (and they are really strict about papers being in order!), then changing jobs is an insanely stressful situation to be if you don't want to get in immigration trouble. goes without mention that this trouble will somehow be more serious if you happen to have a darker skin color!

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

a medium-format picture of beeftweeter staring silently at the camera, a quizzical expression on his face
oh i'm not unsympathetic, it's something my wife has had to deal with. legally both the employer and employee can get hosed hard though so i understand a hard pass on that

SeXTcube
Jan 1, 2009

I'm sympathetic that dealing with the (assumed) US immigration system is a stressful nightmare. It's been a years long headache for my family and we're dealing with it on easy mode. Not hypothetically but in the actual situations shared here the candidate could have had the job and been sponsored before their eligibility ran out but they fumbled for no reason. They are adults and should understand their responsibilities and not expect the employer to cheekily violate immigration law for them. This wasn't a split-second decision anyone had to make under duress and they presumably had ample time to correct it even if they didn't mention it first thing.

It sucks if you have to leave the country if you didn't want to, but outside of being clear on your own willingness to sponsor how can you help people that act like described?

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

afaik it's basically an automatic felony once you leave, and even assuming that doesn't cause you trouble you can't come back for 10 years anyway. i'm not really sure what they expect people to do in that scenario

matti
Mar 31, 2019

thinking of loving off for a year to a private "game dev" school since its a walking distance from my appartement and i need to break from this rut

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

matti posted:

thinking of loving off for a year to a private "game dev" school since its a walking distance from my appartement and i need to break from this rut

uhhhhh ... don't

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

matti posted:

stop thinking about that

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

do indie game dev of you want, but game dev "schools" are universally either garbage or a scam

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

matti posted:

https://github.com/nicklockwood/RetroRampage

do that

matti
Mar 31, 2019

hmm yeah maybe i should study art instead if im going to waste money

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

if you can program you can do game dev. there's really nothing all that special about it that it requires a different "school" or whatever

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

matti posted:

hmm yeah maybe i should study art instead if im going to waste money

if you just want to waste money buy a nice boat

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
same deal for art school

if you wanna learn how to do partial differential equations so you can be that one dude who did the fire physics for far cry 3 or whatever you prolly gotta go to school, otherwise for anything that doesnt end up w you going to one of the big game shops and living a terrible awful miserable life, eh

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

it depends on what you want to do at art school

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

Making connections is the only thing you should be doing at any real school. If you just wanna be a better artist there's YouTube and community college

tk
Dec 10, 2003

Nap Ghost
You should learn how to do glassblowing that looks pretty fun.

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

This applies to nearly any subject there is outside of working directly under some very specific researcher or something. Knowledge is free flowing these days but meeting the right people to know is the same as ever.

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

tk posted:

You should learn how to do glassblowing that looks pretty fun.

One of my biggest regrets of my undergrad career is that I didn't try to wedge myself into the chemistry glassblowing studio. I used some weird rear end glassware and it's all custom made and there was an on site studio to do repairs and fabrications and it's extremely specialized and very cool

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

like if its just a couple of courses at a community college or whatever? sure, you'll probably enjoy it and chances are you'll learn something

undergrad art school is actually difficult. a lot of people think it will be easy and wash out because of this. it's not just drawing, taking pictures, making movies, sculpting, whatever — you have to learn history, styles, artists, critiques, do presentations and galleries, etc. it's a huge pain in the rear end, very expensive and i can't recommend it on a lark

graduate stuff is basically more of the same, just... well, more of it

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

yeah the art students i knew in undergrad spent way more time busting their asses than i ever did for either my CS coursework or my humanities stuff. the art students also did more work than any of the engineering majors i knew

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

the worst major in regards to time of anyone i ever encountered by far was architecture

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

Achmed Jones posted:

yeah the art students i knew in undergrad spent way more time busting their asses than i ever did for either my CS coursework or my humanities stuff. the art students also did more work than any of the engineering majors i knew

it is seriously a literally unbelievable amount of work, STEM majors have no idea lol

matti
Mar 31, 2019

younger matti had a dreams of becoming a traditional painter

thank god i touch computer now instead

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

PokeJoe posted:

the worst major in regards to time of anyone i ever encountered by far was architecture

No loving joke here.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
it is remarkably, viciously uncorrelated w job prospects, which is the depressing bit

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

I spent far too much time doing things as a chemist compared to most of my different major buddies, and I was an enormous slacker who got put on academic probation for bad grades. I still didn't envy the architects, I'd walk by their studio every day for my 8am classes and it was always already packed with people who look like they've been working for hours. No loving thanks I've got noxius fumes to huff