Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Zore posted:

bio347 posted:

But also, like, the Dragon is the specific soul of a specific person. I don't think Logain or Taim could step into the role of the Dragon.
I think the series leaves that as a pretty open question tbh, especially with Birgette getting torn out of T'A'R. There's also all the interesting indications that the pattern spins out 'backups' in forms of things like all the False Dragons that immediately ate poo poo once Rand declared himself etc.

The books themselves are ambiguous about it, but Jordan has a firmer stance on it.

Robert Jordan posted:

It would be the same soul. That is, that is the belief of the world that I've set up, that it's the same soul. It's a soul of someone bound to the Wheel, which is spun out for the purposes, for the Wheel's purposes really, to attempt to re-balance the Weaving of the Pattern.

I suppose that isn't surprising, since he has to have a pretty specific vision of the world and how it works in mind to write something that lengthy and with such a depth of world building. How much attention you want to give that is up to the individual, since it's only in Jordan's mind and not on the page. Jordan took the view that the soul is basically immutable though. It could be temporarily banished via balefire, but it would always eventually get spun out into the Pattern again, and while the individual details of the life would be different, the soul would always be the same, have the same power (so long as that power was usable in that Age) and the same gender etc.

The Dragon is always the same soul, spun out at different times as the Wheel/Pattern dictates and the Pattern will push back on anyone who attempts to ruin that soul. Including the soul itself. The more the Dragon refused to fall in line with what the Pattern wanted, the harder the Pattern pushed back and made him fall in line. The only thing that could have really upset that plan is if Rand outright died, and even then I get the impression that the Pattern would try and bodge things so that Rand is resurrected ala Mat at Rhuidean or something. It's only if the Dark One's agents managed to make it stick that Rand would stay dead most likely, and at that point, the Wheel is probably broken and the Pattern irrevocably ruined rather than it simply designating another soul as the Dragon.

I always took the increasing appearance of false Dragons less as the Pattern preparing backups and more as the Pattern preparing the world for what's coming. The occasional appearance of a false Dragon keeps the Dragon in people's minds as a thing and with a lot of them appearing in close proximity, people are primed to accept the real one; both because they're more used to the idea of a Dragon being around and because the real one has legitimacy that the others don't. Not just in fulfilling prophecies, but in their actions changing the world in ways people can see on a level a false Dragon like Guaire Amalasan or Logain never did. Additionally, the appearance of a Dragon is almost inherently chaotic, and chaos was basically a foreshadowing of the Last Battle. More chaos = Last Battle is closer, basically.

the JJ posted:

I wonder if, given the focus on mirroring and cycles, there isn't some turning (or a spoke on each turning?!) of the Wheel where the Whitecloaks or Aridhol or some version thereof 'win', and it's up to the iconoclastic Ishamael to mount a one soul resistance to the Dragon, Champion of the Light, who represents oppressive order and stultifying stability and an entrenched status quo. And then at the end the Ishy-soul has their own Veins of Gold/philosophy-debate-with-the-Dark-One and leaves a mote of light in the chaos into which he plunges the world, ready to be rekindled by some Light-side Lanfear.

An issue I'd see with that possibility is that Rand doesn't really represent order on any level, and if anything, is linked to chaos almost as much as the Forsaken, because he foreshadows the disruption of the status quo and needs to destroy the old, entrenched power structures in order to prepare people to face the Dark One and the Last Battle.

the JJ posted:

I think there's also something in Lews Therin's weird wannabe arch-nemesi and they all kind make the point that they were a shade away from being Lew Therin. And we saw how close Rand/Lews were to reaching their level of evil and petty in the wrong circumstances. Hell, Lews arguably failed in his job because he was kinda a dick, but in doing so he helped set the stage for Rand. So maybe there's some turning where Demandred leads the light against Lews. Or the Dragon Egwene cleanses saidar and unites with Taim's Black Tower. Etc. etc. etc.

The basic interpretation you're giving is pretty interesting to think about, but that last one is something that wouldn't happen; at least according to Jordan. Again, how much value you place on his view is up to the individual, but as he envisioned it at least the Dragon as a soul is always male according to Jordan in some of the same interview excerpts linked above. There do appear to be turnings where Saidar is the one that is tainted and there needs to be a female champion of the Light though. It's just that, in those turnings, it's Amaresu that is the champion of the Light and not the Dragon. Amaresu being one of the other heroes bound to the horn that is mentioned a few times in the books. I'd presume she has a moniker of some kind in those turnings, rather than people calling her "Amaresu reborn", but she's not the Dragon regardless.

What I find interesting about Amaresu is that she has the Sword of the Sun, which glows in her hands when she appears and that reads like Callandor to me. Which I presume means it's basically her Callandor, but also makes me wonder if Callandor is just a thing that the Dragon's soul has in turnings where he's not the champion of the Light and instead just another hero with his own tales who probably can't channel or at least, doesn't appear at significant times to mark the end of an Age like the Dragon, and Callandor is just a sword in those instances rather than an amplifier.

tsob fucked around with this message at 16:44 on Mar 2, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

LTT is always LTT. Someday he's the dragon. Somedays not. The dragon reborn, in this instance, locked the dragon into being LTT again.

Colonel Cool
Dec 24, 2006

Is the Dragon something that's always a notable title for him? I sort of assumed it was just something that he'd been called a few times in the most recent cycles of the Wheel and eventually it'll fade into obscurity and he'll be called something else when he rises to prominence again.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Colonel Cool posted:

Is the Dragon something that's always a notable title for him? I sort of assumed it was just something that he'd been called a few times in the most recent cycles of the Wheel and eventually it'll fade into obscurity and he'll be called something else when he rises to prominence again.

Going off some of the interview excerpts from that site the Dragon is basically always his title yeah, but he has different names in every life. The Dragon is just a mythological title for him, and there aren't even any actual dragons at any point within any turning of the Wheel so far as we're told; it's just a constant in the setting. The languages within the setting are pretty constant themselves though, and even after a thousand years in Seanchan the people that live there still speak the same language as those in the Westlands with the only issue being accent. So the title being a constant doesn't really seem all that odd to me, honestly.

Artur Hawking calls Rand "Lews Therin" when he meets him at Falme, but according to Jordan in interview there's somewhat of an understanding for those bound to the horn in Tel'Aran'Rhiod that they address each other by the names they had in their last life. Which was probably just an off the cuff answer when someone pointed out an oddity, but works well enough regardless. We do know Birgitte and Gaidal have had a whole host of names through different lives, but she still refers to him as Gaidal too, so it fits within what we see in the novels too. Plus, from what Birgitte says, her memory of past lives fades over time so she can remember hundreds or thousands of them to varying degrees but at some point they get lost altogether and she almost certainly can't remember a "first" life or name to refer to. Nor would it really hold any special meaning to her even if she could, I suppose.

tsob fucked around with this message at 11:22 on Mar 3, 2023

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Come, all you fair and tender maids
Who flourish in your pri-ime
Beware, take care, keep your garden fair
Let Gnoman steal your thy-y-me
Le-et Gnoman steal your thyme

tsob posted:

We do know Birgitte and Gaidal have had a whole host of names through different lives, but she still refers to him as Gaidal too, so it fits within what we see in the novels too. Plus, from what Birgitte says, her memory of past lives fades over time so she can remember hundreds or thousands of them to varying degrees but at some point they get lost altogether and she almost certainly can't remember a "first" life or name to refer to. Nor would it really hold any special meaning to her even if she could, I suppose.

It is explicit that at least some of Birgitte's lives are remembered under a different name, so it isn't at all certain that people only remember her last incarnation. I'm also nearly certain that the only time she mentions memories fading are when she's incarnate after being unnaturally pulled into the living world and it terrifies the poo poo out of her.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Interview stuff is why I'm not gonna read the new book and like that other goon didn't really ever engage the Fandom until the show and these threads.

Same scene AK calls Mat the gambler, and while supposedly not bound to the horn, implies a soul is a soul, and works in the context of the books and consistency. Unless you believe rand is mad lmaooo

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

Mental illness is always cured by embracing Jesus. Or having a really good mentally blocked Aes Sedai healer.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Invalid Validation posted:

Mental illness is always cured by embracing Jesus. Or having a really good mentally blocked Aes Sedai healer.

No it's cured by becoming Jesus

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

Technically he did a fusion dance with Jesus so he’s Resus now.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

And this is the beginning of Rhesus positive and negative

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

No it's cured by seizing Jesus

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe
Rand gets to be the only channeler who is cured by not being cured. Also, he can see darkfriends which is brought up for exactly one scene and never mentioned again

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

ninjoatse.cx posted:

Rand gets to be the only channeler who is cured by not being cured. Also, he can see darkfriends which is brought up for exactly one scene and never mentioned again

I mean, he exiled all the darkfriends. There's no more of them around for him to see and banish.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Yeah I mean that was the whole point, it was open warfare now and the time for subterfuge was past

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

Yeah I mean that was the whole point, it was open warfare now and the time for subterfuge was past

This is, of course, dumb as hell and Moghedien immediately proves it

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Just watching The Green Mile and —

John Coffey is Yellow Ajah :pisstape:

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

A deleted scene from S1.

https://twitter.com/thewheeloftime/status/1638201304467243008?s=46&t=FuVqINhLr5iT6f4jGf4sZg

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

Casting calls going out for weird season 3 extras 🤔

https://twitter.com/geekyeri/status/1638241996048564225?s=46&t=FuVqINhLr5iT6f4jGf4sZg

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

Seems like normal fantasy roles to me. Gotta have someone paint the Falme air fight. Although I don’t know why you wouldn’t just fake it for a painter or old timey instrumentalist.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

You could fake it, but if you can do it for real, why not?

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

Kadere’s group including Asmodean for the musicians and yeah i guess somebody needs to paint the air fight for Pedron Niall and Elaida 💯

If shooting starts in April at least wotseries ought to get plenty of scoops out of that since Amazon is saying gently caress all about season 2 :ohdear:

Hexel fucked around with this message at 20:56 on Mar 21, 2023

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Lol I've always thought the theme park caricaturist guy in Falme would have to be one of the most iconic and visual parts of any TV adaptation.

e: I scribbled this during my first readthrough

Data Graham fucked around with this message at 20:58 on Mar 21, 2023

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe

Data Graham posted:

Lol I've always thought the theme park caricaturist guy in Falme would have to be one of the most iconic and visual parts of any TV adaptation.

lmao

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Data Graham posted:

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Data Graham posted:

Legit perfection

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Data Graham posted:

no notes

fucked-up birthday
Sep 7, 2006

Data Graham posted:

holy poo poo lol

ManSedan
May 7, 2006
Seats 4

Data Graham posted:

:perfect:

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Ask me where I do my best drinking!

Pillbug

Data Graham posted:

Legit :lol: That is now canon.

CompeAnansi
Feb 1, 2011

I respectfully decline
the invitation to join
your hallucination

Data Graham posted:

Amazing. Can we get this in the OP for posterity?

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

send that to the showrunners

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021
This is honestly almost exactly how I imagined Sheriam looking

https://twitter.com/WotTVSeries/status/1639274665611853826

buffalo all day
Mar 13, 2019

pik_d posted:

lol yeah she got that “have a cup of tea dear” vibe

has verin been cast?

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

buffalo all day posted:

lol yeah she got that “have a cup of tea dear” vibe

has verin been cast?

No, but I think she's gonna be Meera Syal. She's been announced as cast, but not for which character.

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe
Let the spankings begin in earnest

buffalo all day
Mar 13, 2019

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

pik_d posted:

You imagined her far too old I'm afraid. She was an accepted in New Spring with Moiraine and Siuan. She was only 47 at the end of the series. Wonder if this means they will be combining her with Verin?

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

I imagine she'll look younger if they give her book Sheriam's red hair.

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

El Grillo posted:

Let the spankings begin in earnest

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bmac32
Nov 25, 2012

pik_d posted:

But she's not actually a Blue