Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cloacamazing!
Apr 18, 2018

Too cute to be evil
If you actually think my goal with that post was to build a giant ignore list of people who have not apologized in the correct way and to discourage the reporting of abuse, kindly go gently caress yourselves.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Cloacamazing! posted:

"Don't be a dick" is a ground rule for mafia games for a reason. We are playing games that require us to lie to and manipulate people due to their nature. I'm sure everybody here can attest to the fact that this can take a toll out of people, has led to friction in the past and will continue to do so in the future. It works out for the most part because of two things. One, that we all understand it's just a game. Two, because there are lines that we do not cross. Personal attacks. Antagonism. Actually being rude and hurting people's feelings.

Cloacamazing! posted:

go gently caress yourselves.

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

At least nobody’s posting angrily and aggressively today, so that’s progress.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer

Sandwolf posted:

Can you earnestly tell me what I am supposed to do when people from this community come to tell me they are uncomfortable by something occurring here? Like I was just suggested as a point of contact for that, I came here publicly to talk about it, and it’s met with you folks hitting out at me for doing so.

Sandwolf literally posted that people went to him about feeling uncomfortable how the older players were treating them, and people went at them for posting that. It sucked and was really lovely, and while folks backed off it doesn't change the fact that people are coming in after several years removed because some drama that is also several years removed from the mafia community (Riven was 5+ years ago, and IMG was not in any way tied to the mafia community as it has long since spun off into a separate community with several different game runners) cropped up to just immediately be lovely to the people who have actually been in the mafia community.

I dunno, this recent turn on the thread has been pretty bad as someone who came back a few months ago.

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

my shit posts don't die, they multiply

Cloacamazing! posted:

If you actually think my goal with that post was to build a giant ignore list of people who have not apologized in the correct way and to discourage the reporting of abuse, kindly go gently caress yourselves.

I definitely don't think this was your goal or intent. I do think that we are coming off of an event where accusations of abuse were weaponized to shut down valid complaints of abuse. People talked about feeling like they were the wrong one because they brought up topics and everybody else got mad at them and accused them of being disruptive/rude, etc.

Especially with large groups, it is easy to feel like an outsider when you don't like how something is going, and an in group can attack with claims of someone being a troublemaker, etc. It can be extremely convincing, even in cases of overtly abusive behaviors.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I've seen threads get far more angry at one another - like, this week - but the contentiousness here seems to me to be more a matter of a few people using textual styles of communication that allow for either a jokey or a hostile reading depending on where the reader is coming from; and, what some posters may have seen as a steamroller towards setting up an IK from among a group of posters they don't recognize and objecting to that. So both substantive disagreement that has been working out as people discuss in earnest, and, some hostility, a little genuine and a little based on mutual misunderstanding.

This is normal. Moderation can help by reminding people to be kind, be forgiving, listen to what people are saying despite the tone they're saying it in.

chaoslord posted:

I took it as a joke about what happens in mafia games when you don’t set a deadline. In mafia games the stated question is always “who should be dunked?” and you have X days to do it, the deadline helps move things along somewhat. When the deadline for that is way too long or if one doesn’t get set things tend to go off the rails more often because a bunch of people want to seriously work toward an answer and others are thinking “we have a week to figure this out I can :justpost: for five days” and it can lead to butting of heads and such

Here the question was “who should be IK/do we need an IK?” And with no deadline set the thread turned on itself for a bit lol

Ah, OK, I get it!

My take right now is that there is something close to a consensus that Mafia specifically does not need an IK with buttons, but that TGR could probably use a more general game IK. It would be fruitful to talk to folks who use TGR for non-Mafia purposes when finding such a volunteer. If this is a "consensus" that actually you don't agree with but feel pressured to agree with, let me know privately and I can communicate that anonymized back to this thread.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer

Leperflesh posted:

My take right now is that there is something close to a consensus that Mafia specifically does not need an IK with buttons, but that TGR could probably use a more general game IK. It would be fruitful to talk to folks who use TGR for non-Mafia purposes when finding such a volunteer. If this is a "consensus" that actually you don't agree with but feel pressured to agree with, let me know privately and I can communicate that anonymized back to this thread.

Agreed yeah.

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

Leperflesh posted:

I've seen threads get far more angry at one another - like, this week - but the contentiousness here seems to me to be more a matter of a few people using textual styles of communication that allow for either a jokey or a hostile reading depending on where the reader is coming from; and, what some posters may have seen as a steamroller towards setting up an IK from among a group of posters they don't recognize and objecting to that. So both substantive disagreement that has been working out as people discuss in earnest, and, some hostility, a little genuine and a little based on mutual misunderstanding.

This is normal. Moderation can help by reminding people to be kind, be forgiving, listen to what people are saying despite the tone they're saying it in.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

The main spot of contention seems to be this:

Some folks felt it made sense to suggest a long-time wise veteran of many a Mafia as an IK, because experience, and it'd be someone they knew well.
Some folks felt a person who didn't play Mafia much any more or perhaps represented a group of friends they were not integrated with would not be a person they'd implicitly trust with sensitive issues.

These are both valid viewpoints. They both come from a place of wanting to help and be good. They are well-intentioned and heartfelt and we can recognize people saying each of these things have good in their hearts.

And there is no deadline. We can agree today not to make a new IK and change our minds next month or in six months or whenever, after more consideration.

Idle Amalgam
Mar 7, 2008

said I'm never lackin'
always pistol packin'
with them automatics
we gon' send 'em to Heaven

Leperflesh posted:

This is a good take.

chaoslord
Jan 28, 2009

Nature Abhors A Vacuum

Cloacamazing! posted:

I apologize if my post came off that way, that wasn't my intention. My read of your post, inclusive of the "dont be a dick" part, was that a big reason you didn't believe that the matter had worked itself out was because people hadn't apologized. I took that to mean that you still thought there were some other posters that needed to apologize since some already had, which I don't necessarily disagree with! I was just trying to say my personal view was that since there had been some apologies and the conversation had moved forward that I didn't think more apologies were needed to resolve that situation. I clearly have misread something so I'm sorry about that.

I definitely agreed with the overall point that "dont be a dick" could and should be more emphasized in the community - I came back and played a game recently and because of some attitudes in it probably won't be trying again for a bit. I definitely am not trying to be the cause of any animosity in the community here, so I really am sorry.

Cloacamazing!
Apr 18, 2018

Too cute to be evil
It's loving great. After several days of seeing people get ganged up in this thread I finally build up my courage to say something and the next thing that happens it several people accuse me of loving enabling abusers. Wonderful. Sweet. Great. I'm out.

Squiggly
Jan 25, 2006

I'm Your Huckleberry

Sub Rosa posted:

I think "Don't be a dick" does sum it up well, and it certainly has seemed like "be a dick" is what many of the legacy Mafia players thought Mafia was, and to that extent Mafia has been better since they have left, and I'm sad they are back.

This is exactly the same thing, but in reverse. It's just as cliquey and the sentiment that led to a bunch of people popping in to troll. Your reason for doing so is different, but the outcome is just as insular

The "old" crew used to be more of a bag of dicks to each other because no one really internalized it. Why do you think that they still stick around or are part of the community? At least for me, it's because there were plenty of relationships forged here that still exist. That would not be the case if we just hated each other

Has the way we interact with one another changed since then? Sure. And I think you'll find many good faith efforts in that direction from the people posting here regardless of when they started playing mafia. See: how people stopped picking up the rope once intention and phrasing was cleared up

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

Cloacamazing! posted:

It's loving great. After several days of seeing people get ganged up in this thread I finally build up my courage to say something and the next thing that happens it several people accuse me of loving enabling abusers. Wonderful. Sweet. Great. I'm out.

Nobody here is saying you’re doing that at all, rather that people in the past co-opted similar language to their own harmful benefit. There’s no reason to think that anyone here intends to do that but given the potential for problems down the road that we’ve seen firsthand, we just want a bit more nuance to the discussion.

Squiggly
Jan 25, 2006

I'm Your Huckleberry

Cloacamazing! posted:

This seems to be how you are taking it rather than the actual intent. People are addressing potential concerns in a somewhat reasonable way

Taking a break is probably a good choice

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

CCKeane posted:

Right, so a major issue that happened recently is people felt that they couldn't talk openly about what happened because people called them dicks/abusers for raising the issue, and responded aggressively that they were crossing a line for discussing it with other players/raising the issue. This isn't a hypothetical situation, it's something that happened directly, right?

I mean, honestly, I feel like throughout this I've been concerned about addressing/preventing the issues that arose elsewhere from happening again, and this feels really dismissive, right? Like, I'm using specific examples and concerns, and it's called loving outrageous, and I don't think that's fair.

Yes, this directly happened and my return to mafia was prompted by knowing that these people wouldn't be around.

I'd always flirted with coming back in my head but I always found an excuse not to and it seems really obvious to me now that I kept finding those excuses because I was just uncomfortable posting here.

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

Is it I that is insane... or the rest of the world?

These kinda posts aren't helping anybody.

Sub Rosa
Jun 9, 2010

Squiggly posted:

It's just as cliquey

Squiggly posted:

The "old" crew used to be more of a bag of dicks to each other because no one really internalized it.
And the new crew doesn't try to exclude people who might internalize it to try to maintain some valueless desire to be a bag of dicks to each other.

Calling wanting to exclude dickish behavior that will hurt people and drive people away cliquey is basically "you are the real bigot because you are bigoted towards bigots"

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

Cloacamazing! posted:

Clo, respectfully, I don’t think that’s what just happened. I think folks are saying there’s kind of a fine line between calling people out for being a dick and having a culture wherein the very idea of being a dick is so oppressive bad things can occur. I don’t think you are suggesting the latter but a lot of people who lived through the nastiness are a little sensitive to that. I truly don’t feel anyone said you were enabling abusers.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Yami Fenrir posted:

These kinda posts aren't helping anybody.

Yeah that's why I pointed it out. Telling people to "gently caress off" for talking about concerns is not on.

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

New school, c’mon. Yes the old crew came back and shook up our community and I’m sure many of you are frustrated about how it’s been so far. But no one gets to exclude anyone out of this community just because there is friction. Just like they don’t get to come back and lord over y’all because they played mafio in 2012 or whatever.

We need to try to come together as a community, please. It can be done.

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

Is it I that is insane... or the rest of the world?

Pinterest Mom posted:

Yeah that's why I pointed it out.

I'm talking about yours.

You know cloaca's already frustrated, no need to be pedantic to them. Not the first time I've seen people fuel the flames with that kind of behavior.

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

Yami Fenrir posted:

I'm talking about yours.

You know cloaca's already frustrated, no need to be pedantic to them.

You two are very level headed, please don’t contribute to this atm.

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

This whole new crew vs old crew thing is so dumb, it's not real! We're all just posters!

One person said something that was kinda dickish, a bunch of other people responded in a dickish way and some took it too far and then apologized. It doesn't have to turn into a holy war based on how long you've played Mafia

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

Jose Valasquez posted:

This whole new crew vs old crew thing is so dumb, it's not real! We're all just posters!

One person said something that was kinda dickish, a bunch of other people responded in a dickish way and some took it too far and then apologized. It doesn't have to turn into a holy war based on how long you've played Mafia

Fully fuckin’ agreed here.

Idle Amalgam
Mar 7, 2008

said I'm never lackin'
always pistol packin'
with them automatics
we gon' send 'em to Heaven

Jose Valasquez posted:

death cob for cutie
Dec 30, 2006

dwarves won't delve no more
too much splatting down on Zot:4
if this all started because Leperflesh asked us if we need an IK because of some shithead running weird games I'm going to pout

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

death cob for cutie posted:

if this all started because Leperflesh asked us if we need an IK because of some shithead running weird games I'm going to pout

it's all of us, we are the Idiot Kings

death cob for cutie
Dec 30, 2006

dwarves won't delve no more
too much splatting down on Zot:4
some of us are Idiot Queens

I'm an Idiot Quing myself

Squiggly
Jan 25, 2006

I'm Your Huckleberry

Sub Rosa posted:

And the new crew doesn't try to exclude people who might internalize it to try to maintain some valueless desire to be a bag of dicks to each other.

Calling wanting to exclude dickish behavior that will hurt people and drive people away cliquey is basically "you are the real bigot because you are bigoted towards bigots"

This is absolutely the most mafia way to respond to my post

:golfclap:

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

death cob for cutie posted:

I think I see the problem here.

##vote Leperfish

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

oh you're a SAD IQ you'd be perfect, you do it, if you can handle the trashfires over there this'd be a piece of cake
I'm kidding

Squiggly
Jan 25, 2006

I'm Your Huckleberry

Jose Valasquez posted:

Wheres my pepsi kendall jenner

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

Squiggly posted:

Wheres my pepsi kendall jenner

Shove it up your rear end you loser!!!!!! (Stated in a very kind and loving way between old friends)

wins32767
Mar 16, 2007

In Defense of Dickishness in an Internet Party Game

My time playing Mafia was a tremendous benefit to my life. As much as we might wish it otherwise, the world has people with malicious motivations in it or those with motivations or values that are structurally different than your own. Sometimes it's to someone's advantage to get you to get angry or emotional. Sometimes someone getting emotional or angry is feigned or used for manipulation. Sometimes someone is trying to hide that their incentives or goals are different than yours. Often you need to convince people to do something where your evidence isn't as weak as you'd prefer.

Having a game environment where one can experience the full gamut of those behaviors in a low risk environment has been an absolute blessing. Dealing with people who are being intentionally dickish has helped me manage my own responses to those types of people in work settings. I've used mafia skills to realize that a partner in a different organization has different goals that I wasn't aware of several times. Learning how to persuade strongly opposed people, even when your facts or data are weak, to make a good decision is something I use almost weekly. I wouldn't have been nearly as successful in my career over the last 10 years without the experience of playing in a somewhat agro mafia environment.

As someone who is naturally conflict adverse by nature and nurture and who is prone to taking things very personally, I can't speak strongly enough of how valuable my time with a bunch of dicks and assholes has been in my life.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Currently no games have really happened so all the discussion about meanness is about meanness in the thread as opposed to games H T H

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

wins32767 posted:

In Defense of Dickishness in an Internet Party Game

My time playing Mafia was a tremendous benefit to my life. As much as we might wish it otherwise, the world has people with malicious motivations in it or those with motivations or values that are structurally different than your own. Sometimes it's to someone's advantage to get you to get angry or emotional. Sometimes someone getting emotional or angry is feigned or used for manipulation. Sometimes someone is trying to hide that their incentives or goals are different than yours. Often you need to convince people to do something where your evidence isn't as weak as you'd prefer.

Having a game environment where one can experience the full gamut of those behaviors in a low risk environment has been an absolute blessing. Dealing with people who are being intentionally dickish has helped me manage my own responses to those types of people in work settings. I've used mafia skills to realize that a partner in a different organization has different goals that I wasn't aware of several times. Learning how to persuade strongly opposed people, even when your facts or data are weak, to make a good decision is something I use almost weekly. I wouldn't have been nearly as successful in my career over the last 10 years without the experience of playing in a somewhat agro mafia environment.

As someone who is naturally conflict adverse by nature and nurture and who is prone to taking things very personally, I can't speak strongly enough of how valuable my time with a bunch of dicks and assholes has been in my life.

I completely agree with all of this

wins32767
Mar 16, 2007

Jump King posted:

Currently no games have really happened so all the discussion about meanness is about meanness in the thread as opposed to games H T H

Sub Rosa posted:

...some valueless desire to be a bag of dicks to each other.

I was responding to this (and other similar comments).

CapitalistPig
Nov 3, 2005

A Winner is you!

Jose Valasquez posted:

Sandwolf posted:

We need to try to come together as a community, please. It can be done.

All of this please.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chaoslord
Jan 28, 2009

Nature Abhors A Vacuum

CapitalistPig posted:

All of this please.

I think the thing to bring this community together is a rousing game of PopCon Goonfights 3. Ready to defend my tag team crown as one half of DUI Checkpoint