Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Doom Rooster posted:

Boil it in cold water with a thin drip of cold water under the faucet, for 45 minutes. That should thaw it out enough to bread and fry.

To be clear its because I'm making the Italian calamari salad.

Speaking of, the calamari salad I found in a store was made with vinegar, how much vinegar should I add if making my own from scratch?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.

DekeThornton posted:

I recently bought a can of corned beef at Lidl, something that really isn't normally a thing here in Sweden, out of curiosity. What can I do with it? Just making corned beef hash seems a bit boring. Too much like similar leftover dishes we have here already.

Make corned beef silog. This is the highest use for canned corned beef.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
Results seem good, I did a taste test and tastes pretty good.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

DasNeonLicht posted:

is this technique purely aesthetic? I never remove anything from the pot except bay leaves and have grown fond of the little bits of dried thyme floating around in my dishes

You ever bite down on a chunk of cardamom pod or star anise you didn’t know was there

mystes
May 31, 2006

bird with big dick posted:

You ever bite down on a chunk of cardamom pod or star anise you didn’t know was there
that's part of the fun

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Raenir Salazar posted:

To be clear its because I'm making the Italian calamari salad.

Speaking of, the calamari salad I found in a store was made with vinegar, how much vinegar should I add if making my own from scratch?

Boiling, you're looking at like, 30-60 seconds, tops.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Not sure I've tried but I'd be surprised if you couldn't just ceviche up that calamari in the vinegar for a while then drain and toss with the rest of the salad ?

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:
Yeah, I've done that with shrimp and whitefish, i don't see why it wouldn't work.

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009
Love it when people drive by like "Oh what bleach should I use to soak my cheesemaking setup for maximum results?" and a dozen goons say "Please, don't soak your cheesemaking equipment in bleach! It will only end poorly!" and the dude comes back with a flash Polaroid of an empty bottle of bleach and vague dairy shapes being all "Hey y'all my bleach technique worked perfectly! Tastes just like nonna made"

Wtf don't boil calamari you pervert

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
I didn’t bleach my cheesecloth :mad:

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

This is a normal occurrence in some cuisines

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009

Steve Yun posted:

I didn’t bleach my cheesecloth :mad:

Haha I forgot this actually happened in my search for an example

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Soul Dentist posted:

Love it when people drive by like "Oh what bleach should I use to soak my cheesemaking setup for maximum results?" and a dozen goons say "Please, don't soak your cheesemaking equipment in bleach! It will only end poorly!" and the dude comes back with a flash Polaroid of an empty bottle of bleach and vague dairy shapes being all "Hey y'all my bleach technique worked perfectly! Tastes just like nonna made"

Wtf don't boil calamari you pervert

Hahaha. But it did work though. :haw:

And also look I assumed you could boil because the youtube cooking recipe video I watched involved boiling the fresh squid, and the person doing it was an Italian granny with like 3 million subscribers, so it made sense to boil frozen squid.

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser
An Italian once said for calamari, 30 seconds or 30 minutes, nothing in between.

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009

Torquemada posted:

An Italian once said for calamari, 30 seconds or 30 minutes, nothing in between.

Same for octopus!

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser
Gochujiang keeps almost indefinitely right?

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Torquemada posted:

It goes stale after a while, the color turns darker and the flavors not as strong

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

I use one of these guys when I need to keep some spices from getting into the water (or more usually oil) I'm boiling. I made a triple batch of Serious Eats chili crisp and some cardamom pods that I had cracked open fell apart and made the whole batch into an absolute minefield. Things were literally hard as rocks. Got this the next day.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07X5J6TKL/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
Aw it's like a tiny spice crab pot.

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009
Let me at the spice crabs

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Soul Dentist posted:

Let me at the spice crabs

I think they prefer to be called House Harkonnen.

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe

I use one of these guys when I need to keep some spices from getting into the water (or more usually oil) I'm boiling. I made a triple batch of Serious Eats chili crisp and some cardamom pods that I had cracked open fell apart and made the whole batch into an absolute minefield. Things were literally hard as rocks. Got this the next day.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07X5J6TKL/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

The images are of you dropping this into a deep frying vat, especially with it filled with ground turmeric.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!

And when you're not using it to cook, you can toss some action figures in there, hang it from the ceiling and pretend you're a cartoon villain.

zone
Dec 6, 2016

Torquemada posted:

Gochujang is best used within 6-12 months though if properly stored will last around 2 years. But it'll darken and the flavors will be weaker the longer you store it.

CyprianLatewood
Feb 27, 2023

by Pragmatica
I made pulled pork sandwiches and the recipe told me to simmer it in the sauce until it was ready and it turned out pretty good, but god drat is this sauce pretty oily. Would it cook poorly if i chopped off some of the extra fat from the meat before cooking next time?

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
My process whenever I make pulled pork is

1) cook the meat in 4" hunks and remove them whole for shredding in a bowl

2) with the remaining sauce in the pan, use a spoon to skim off the liquid fat (or refrigerate it and crack the hard layer of fat off later)

3) whenever I want some of the pork, toss some of the shredded meat on a pan with a bit of the sauce from a separate container. If the sauce is gelatinous I nuke it for 20 seconds to make it pourable

4) crisp it up with the oven on the broil setting

DekeThornton
Sep 2, 2011

Be friends!

Mr. Wiggles posted:

Make corned beef silog. This is the highest use for canned corned beef.

That looks interesting. I'll give that a shot. Thanks!

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

zone posted:

Gochujang is best used within 6-12 months though if properly stored will last around 2 years. But it'll darken and the flavors will be weaker the longer you store it.

Thanks, I hadda throw it away. Turns out I don't quite use it often enough to own even a small tub.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

I had a jar of the pepper powder in a vacuumed mason jar, and although it extended the life significantly it eventually turned dark after… 2 years I think?

The sweet rice flour also oxidizes and turns rancid after a couple years IIRC

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
Pulled pork is an excellent source of really rich pork broth, and also pork fat. Both are useful, and you should not feel obligated to eat them only alongside the pork itself.

zone
Dec 6, 2016

Torquemada posted:

Thanks, I hadda throw it away. Turns out I don't quite use it often enough to own even a small tub.

I don't keep around more than a small tub myself. But more often than not I manage to use it up in about a year's time. Today I cooked up some pajeon for lunch and had some with it.

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

I been wantin to see a honkey dance.
Keeping plastic wrap pressed tightly directly on the surface keeps it from drying out and getting rock hard at least.

DasNeonLicht
Dec 25, 2005

"...and the light is on and burning brightly for the masses."
Fallen Rib
then help me out here, because I just opened a package of gochujang — what are some of the thread's favorite uses for it?

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

50/50 with neutral oil, use as a glaze on roasted vegetables

zone
Dec 6, 2016

DasNeonLicht posted:

then help me out here, because I just opened a package of gochujang — what are some of the thread's favorite uses for it?

You can use it to make marinades for meat or poultry with, Korean fried chicken is always a crowd favorite, add it to soups or stews for the flavor, or make dipping sauces out of it. An easy way to make a general purpose dip or hot sauce with it is chogochujang; here's a recipe you can use for it

5 tablespoons gochujang (Korean chili pepper paste)
1 tablespoon sugar
2 tablespoons honey
3 tablespoons rice wine vinegar
2 teaspoons minced garlic
1 teaspoon sesame oil

If you haven't got sesame oil to hand it's not an issue and won't make much difference to the final product. Just mix everything together and depending on how thin you like it add some water. Adjust the proportions to your taste.

If you happen to have Korean bean paste (doenjang) to hand as well you can make ssamjang with it, use 1/4 a cup of bean paste, 2 spoons of gochujang, and the other ingredients, omit the vinegar. ssamjang is good to barbecue stuff with or to use to make barbecue wraps.

It's great with fried fish or seafood and as a dip for shrimp or prawns.

Nigmaetcetera
Nov 17, 2004

borkborkborkmorkmorkmork-gabbalooins
I ordered some Long Pepper, or pippali, or whatever you want to call it, to liven up my mostly . Just how strong is it? Do I need to actually be careful, or will I quickly determine the right amount to use? I just ordered it so I could use less pepper on scrambled eggs and pork tenderloin that I normally use black pepper on. There’s nothing weird about it I don’t know yet, right? Also I intend to grind it with a mortar and pestle, is that fine?

zone
Dec 6, 2016

Nigmaetcetera posted:

I ordered some Long Pepper, or pippali, or whatever you want to call it, to liven up my mostly . Just how strong is it? Do I need to actually be careful, or will I quickly determine the right amount to use? I just ordered it so I could use less pepper on scrambled eggs and pork tenderloin that I normally use black pepper on. There’s nothing weird about it I don’t know yet, right? Also I intend to grind it with a mortar and pestle, is that fine?

Long pepper is a bit more nuanced than regular pepper. You can get hints of other flavors like cinnamon and ginger. You can use it in a more or less similar amount as regular pepper, though you may want to experiment a little with how much will actually suit your taste because of the other nuances. It's not chilli hot, if that's what you think, if you're used to regular pepper it's about the same, giving more of a background heat.

As for grinding, knock yourself out, but it's best to grind what you need at any given time for the best results. You can also add it whole to dishes like curries or stews that don't need it to be ground, though I prefer adding it in ground anyway when I use it. For eggs and tenderloin it'd be perfect as well.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Use long pepper in tepache!

Qubee
May 31, 2013

I finally bought MSG for the first time in my life. It's actually quite amazing how it can give food a whole new depth of flavour. I've been going a bit overboard with it, and I wanted to ask if it's alright to use it with literally everything (that works)? For example, I put some in my eggs, on top of my sliced tomatoes, with fried mushrooms. Is it basically like salt or should I not use it every day? I use tiny amounts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.

Qubee posted:

I finally bought MSG for the first time in my life. It's actually quite amazing how it can give food a whole new depth of flavour. I've been going a bit overboard with it, and I wanted to ask if it's alright to use it with literally everything (that works)? For example, I put some in my eggs, on top of my sliced tomatoes, with fried mushrooms. Is it basically like salt or should I not use it every day? I use tiny amounts.

It is like salt. It is also like salt in that there are a lot of ingredients that already contain enough of it so adding extra is over-flavouring. Otherwise you are fine.