Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

I thought it was because newbie game dev kits like RPG Maker default to that style

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

there are definitely both kinds of games, stuff that uses pixel art because it's cheap and easy to throw stuff together (rpg maker stuff, a lot of itch.io stuff, etc) and stuff that uses pixel art as an explicit element of nostalgia (shovel knight, etc)

imo I'm not generally gonna criticize super experimental hobbyist projects for using whatever art style is easiest for the dev to rely on, but i definitely get annoyed at a lot of professional projects using pixel art as pure nostalgia bait (and often not even doing it particularly well)

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

quiggy posted:

there are definitely both kinds of games, stuff that uses pixel art because it's cheap and easy to throw stuff together (rpg maker stuff, a lot of itch.io stuff, etc) and stuff that uses pixel art as an explicit element of nostalgia (shovel knight, etc)

imo I'm not generally gonna criticize super experimental hobbyist projects for using whatever art style is easiest for the dev to rely on, but i definitely get annoyed at a lot of professional projects using pixel art as pure nostalgia bait (and often not even doing it particularly well)

i don't play the indie games at all because they're always bad games anyway

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

that sure is a take

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

3D Megadoodoo posted:

i don't play the indie games at all because they're always bad games anyway

my maxim is "90% of everything is poo poo" but that still leaves room for your occasional shovel knight or whatever

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

fabled lands seems kind of interesting. sort of in the vein of roadwarden if i'm reading the description right

Armitag3
Mar 15, 2020

Forget it Jake, it's cybertown.

3D Megadoodoo posted:

I don't believe you. e: But that has no bearing on what I said anyway.

Sure whatever, but pixel art isn’t the retro trend today, it was 10 years ago. Current retro is PSX graphics because you can slice some models in blender and grab an off the shelf unity shader that makes the edges wiggle to simulate float point rounding

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Armitag3 posted:

Sure whatever, but pixel art isn’t the retro trend today, it was 10 years ago. Current retro is PSX graphics because you can slice some models in blender and grab an off the shelf unity shader that makes the edges wiggle to simulate float point rounding

10 years ago is current. LIterally the most popular computer game today is Grand Theft Auto 5, which was released three hundred years ago.

Armitag3
Mar 15, 2020

i don’t follow what you’re saying

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

i dont really care about the art style if the game is fun

although the new square enix style (octopath, triangle strategy, etc) is getting to be a little grating now

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

AnimeIsTrash posted:

i dont really care about the art style if the game is fun

although the new square enix style (octopath, triangle strategy, etc) is getting to be a little grating now

surprised we haven't really yet seen an indie game use this style yet tbh

Armitag3
Mar 15, 2020

quiggy posted:

surprised we haven't really yet seen an indie game use this style yet tbh

Eastward comes to mind, 2D sprites on top a pixel 3D world. It looked really cool shame the game is kinda boring otherwise

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
indie games obey sturgeon's law, same as everything else

the big advantage of pixel art is that almost anyone can make something at least passable in that style. if you aren't a trained/experienced 3D modeler you aren't going to come up with a good 3D model. if you aren't a trained/experienced photoshop person you aren't going to make good textures. but anyone can pick a color and tap in one pixel at a time in a 32x32 grid. it won't be world class sprite work and there's definitely still a range of quality but your programmer art will at least be recognizable as what you intended it to be

this has gotten less important recently since the major game creation toolkits now include asset stores so you don't need to deal with the nitty gritty of finding and hiring artists

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

eastward did look pretty neat. for pixel games, i was messing around with Anno: Mutationem for the most part

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Also something I've noticed with new games for old computers (say, Commodore 64 and the also-rans): people not designing for CRTs and thus the games looking like poo poo on period hardware, and lacklustre in any case.

Armitag3
Mar 15, 2020

haveblue posted:

indie games obey sturgeon's law, same as everything else

the big advantage of pixel art is that almost anyone can make something at least passable in that style. if you aren't a trained/experienced 3D modeler you aren't going to come up with a good 3D model. if you aren't a trained/experienced photoshop person you aren't going to make good textures. but anyone can pick a color and tap in one pixel at a time in a 32x32 grid. it won't be world class sprite work and there's definitely still a range of quality but your programmer art will at least be recognizable as what you intended it to be

this has gotten less important recently since the major game creation toolkits now include asset stores so you don't need to deal with the nitty gritty of finding and hiring artists

Yeah this is what i’m saying. As the tooling gets more and more accessible and better, 2 person teams can do what took a whole department to do back in the day. Indie games are always lagged behind 20 or so years to what professional outfits can do in terms of hard assets so they look mostly retro

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

https://twitter.com/manfightdragon/status/1639448636106080256?s=20

Armitag3
Mar 15, 2020

that’s a pretty good changelog

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life

AnimeIsTrash posted:

Actually its still really good

If we're talking about indie game art style and you dont like pixel art (u weirdo) its hard to do better than solar ash

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=msCeiD4t-Ms

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

personally i blame feminists

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

I get irritable when I see pixel art where the pixels aren't all aligned to the same grid, or worse, are scaled to different sizes

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

I was playing Fallout 4 on my PS5 when I didn't have Internet for a while, and one of the old biddies living in the upper whatevers in Diamond City had her summer frock glitch in a way I've never seen before and gave me a lovely :barf: view while she was sitting down at the bar terrace. (I'm glad the developer's weren't pervy enough to actually show anything that mattered down there.)

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

I wonder if this guy knows that he can find pictures of women in panties on the internet

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Sagebrush posted:

I wonder if this guy knows that he can find pictures of women in panties on the internet

Mother won't let him on the Internet.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
hey it was funny when Ashley called you a pervert because a zombie whacked you so hard your head hit the ground next to her

totally understandable why they took all that out though

and they took out the line about “ballistics” for again perfectly good and understandable reasons. but they also took out leon getting shot down by hannigan which didn’t seem that problematic to me

haveblue fucked around with this message at 19:30 on Mar 25, 2023

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

Sagebrush posted:

I get irritable when I see pixel art where the pixels aren't all aligned to the same grid, or worse, are scaled to different sizes

this is fair but also aligning pixel art properly in modern game engines is a huge loving pain in the rear end so ill allow it if the game is interesting and not some big commercial thing

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Sagebrush posted:

How about when lighting effects clearly show nothing is made out of pixels.

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

general rule of thumb do not use lighting effects at all with your pixel art unless you know what you are doing

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.
i think dead cells, for all its faults, handles pickle graphics pretty well

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

yeah, those are some pretty good pickles

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

quiggy posted:

general rule of thumb do not use lighting effects at all with your pixel art unless you know what you are doing

even more so: don't use particle effect with particles smaller than you're "pixels"

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

Kenny Logins posted:

i think dead cells, for all its faults, handles pickle graphics pretty well

dead cells faults are that it kicks my rear end and i've lost 40minutes of my life

Armitag3
Mar 15, 2020

KidDynamite posted:

dead cells faults are that it kicks my rear end and i've lost 40minutes of my life

we’ve all had to do performance evaluations don’t worry about it

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

KidDynamite posted:

assist mode, assist mode is the greatest

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

i've got a broken brain and also i want those boss cells. only have 2 so far.

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

KidDynamite posted:

i've got a broken brain and also i want those boss cells. only have 2 so far.
i have 4. even with the assist mode option to resurrect from the last save it's still quite challenging.

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

i didn't know you could still get boss cells that way. will check it out.

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

quiggy posted:

it seems so weird to me to remake this game that is still very easily playable on modern consoles and has not aged poorly in the slightest

apparently they dumped the qtes in the remake, which is fine, because they weren't fun back then either

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them
https://twitter.com/vg_history/status/1639818187519967240?s=46&t=aXw7W5TiwDaOVtqp-9FOLA

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

KidDynamite posted:

i didn't know you could still get boss cells that way. will check it out.
you might say assist mode is a game-changer