Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

Lincoln posted:

MS Outlook suddenly became totally non-functional. About noon two days ago I received my last e-mail via MS Outlook 365 for Mac. Took about 24 hours for me to discover something was wrong. I just thought it was a slow day.

People were still sending e-mails, they just haven’t hit my inbox. I only discovered something was wrong when I saw a shitload of unsent mail in my Outbox, about 24 hours later. My e-mail host is clueless, Apple is clueless, and Microsoft is clueless. The tech support guy at my e-mail host said it’s a known problem, but he could provide no help. Apple and MS of course only offer the option of, “tell our community about your issue,” which is about as useful as tits on a bull.

Anybody out there have any insight? Anybody having the same problem?

I can access mail via web, but this is a business e-mail account, and that’s a poor workaround at best. It’s like working with boxing gloves on.

Latest-gen MBP. All OS and apps are current versions. Didn’t do anything out of the ordinary on the day the problem appeared. No software updates, nothing. Just came back from lunch and Outlook had died.

Can you do a complete uninstall and reboot and try again?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lincoln
May 12, 2007

Ladies.
That’s probably my next step, when I have the time. Do you think I’d need to uninstall the entire suite, or just Outlook?

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

Lincoln posted:

That’s probably my next step, when I have the time. Do you think I’d need to uninstall the entire suite, or just Outlook?

Not 100% sure but if you get it all at once, it’ll be freshly patched and the like when you’re done.

I almost wonder if it’s just a bad or corrupted profile too. You might see if you can create a new profile that will work (this is me thinking back to the Office 2003/2007 days, may not be applicable today).

Mercurius
May 4, 2004

Amp it up.

Silly Burrito posted:

Not 100% sure but if you get it all at once, it’ll be freshly patched and the like when you’re done.

I almost wonder if it’s just a bad or corrupted profile too. You might see if you can create a new profile that will work (this is me thinking back to the Office 2003/2007 days, may not be applicable today).
It is indeed still applicable and that would be the first thing I'd try since that'll immediately show if it's just profile corruption. Microsoft has an article on how to do this available on this page.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Has anybody got experience with adding their music library / database to a Git repo (or equivalent)? I'm fed up with removing duplicate tracks and correcting metadata only for Apple to decide to gently caress it all up again for me, so I'm wondering if it'd be plausible to stick it all in a local repo and just do a revert anytime it gets changed.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

Git and binaries don’t exactly play nice together. You’d frankly be better off just making a zip and sticking it somewhere. Failing that, snapshots of some kind I guess. Alternatively, Lidarr would probably be real real good at this. Probably do that and then zip things up.

teraflame
Jan 7, 2009
Gosh I wish they would revive Aperture, I don’t wanna give adobe my money.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

There’s always dxo, but I can’t lie - I’m not really vibing with it and miss Lightroom classic.

armpit_enjoyer
Jan 25, 2023

my god. it's full of posts

teraflame posted:

Gosh I wish they would revive Aperture, I don’t wanna give adobe my money.

Have you tried Retroactive?

Lincoln
May 12, 2007

Ladies.

Mercurius posted:

It is indeed still applicable and that would be the first thing I'd try since that'll immediately show if it's just profile corruption. Microsoft has an article on how to do this available on this page.

I deleted the old profile, and created a new one. One of two email addresses I manage work - the one that doesn’t is the important one. I’m not sure if the unimportant one was working under the original profile - I almost never use it, so I didn’t check before deleting, d’oh. I guess a clean 365 reinstall is the next step?

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

Lincoln posted:

I deleted the old profile, and created a new one. One of two email addresses I manage work - the one that doesn’t is the important one. I’m not sure if the unimportant one was working under the original profile - I almost never use it, so I didn’t check before deleting, d’oh. I guess a clean 365 reinstall is the next step?

Yes, but check a few small things. If the same password is working in the web version, you know you’re not locked out. Definitely recheck that to make sure. I assume you had to retype all of the login information when recreating the profile. Just trying to think of any other little gotchas before you do. Not over quota on your email account? Does the account work in the default Mail app?

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Meanwhile.. (Colbert stole that from me, I've been saying meanwhile for the past seven years)

Big Sur 11.7.5, Monterey 12.6.4, and Ventura 13.3 are all in Release Candidate state, which means official rollout could be as soon as next Tuesday.

Nobody's crowing about anything in the older OSes, but Ventura 13.3 is supposed to fix a bug with SMB / File Sharing / Finder that was infuriating people as of 13.2.

Another meanwhile..

Ever wanted to blow away all of your photos on all your iCloud devices, everywhere? Just do what the President of Koingo Software did as mentioned in this blog entry:

BTW, don't do this.

https://www.koingosw.com/blog/?action=view&id=595

Koingo Guy posted:

So, how does one accidentally wipe their entire iCloud full of photos without pressing any Delete or Erase button? (Presuming Apple hasn't already fixed this as of my writing)

1. Hold down the option key when launching Photos.app

2. Create a new library.

3. Go into Photos.app Preferences, and click Cloud and press "Use as System Photo Library"

Only the system library can download photos from your iCloud account, so of course, after creating a new local library, I clicked "Use as System Photo Library" and expected it to redownload the contents from the cloud.

Instead, it deleted the entire library of photos from the cloud, and replaced it with this new blank library. Then, it synchronized the empty library across to all my other devices. This is why the photos never hit the "Recently Deleted" folder and the data simply vanished.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe
I've symlinked my icloud downloads folder to my ~/Downloads because I'm tired of having two Downloads folders ffs. However, I want the pretty little download icon that the local folder has in Finder. I tried to replace the linked folder's icon using Get Info but it just doesn't respond. Is it impossible to change a linked folder's icon?

This is the icon of the folder in my home directory

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Binary Badger posted:

Meanwhile.. (Colbert stole that from me, I've been saying meanwhile for the past seven years)

Big Sur 11.7.5, Monterey 12.6.4, and Ventura 13.3 are all in Release Candidate state, which means official rollout could be as soon as next Tuesday.

Nobody's crowing about anything in the older OSes, but Ventura 13.3 is supposed to fix a bug with SMB / File Sharing / Finder that was infuriating people as of 13.2.

Another meanwhile..

Ever wanted to blow away all of your photos on all your iCloud devices, everywhere? Just do what the President of Koingo Software did as mentioned in this blog entry:

BTW, don't do this.

If you make a new Photos library on the Mac I dont think it deletes the old one? Why didn’t they just switch back to the old library by holding alt when opening Photos again?

Violator
May 15, 2003

I think the original blog post (which was deleted) said he was on vacation and trying to download all of the photos/videos he took. Maybe the laptop he was using was out of his normal routine and he thought he could just create a new library to download the media onto that machine and it instead wiped every device, including his normal library on his home desktop?

Just guessing.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

Violator posted:

I think the original blog post (which was deleted) said he was on vacation and trying to download all of the photos/videos he took. Maybe the laptop he was using was out of his normal routine and he thought he could just create a new library to download the media onto that machine and it instead wiped every device, including his normal library on his home desktop?

Just guessing.

either way this is obviously the guy I want designing my software to exfiltrate iphone files

god mac/ios software devs can be such full of themselves asshats.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"
my first gently caress up: clicking buttons labeled 'system' without considering holistic system
my second gently caress up: not writing my own remote ios file browser to try to solve the problem
my solution: complain harder to the phone lady

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Grassy Knowles posted:

either way this is obviously the guy I want designing my software to exfiltrate iphone files

god mac/ios software devs can be such full of themselves asshats.
Have you met linux developers

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

Have you met linux developers

Oh god a solid half of the people I've worked with holding that title and six figure paychecks have needed me to teach them what git and regular expressions are.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE
Am I completely imagining things or is there a baseline volume difference between safari and Firefox?

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice

Binary Badger posted:

BTW, don't do this.

I would easily pay an extra $10 per month if they would add snapshots/versioning to iCloud to make it more like a true backup.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Cold on a Cob posted:

I would easily pay an extra $10 per month if they would add snapshots/versioning to iCloud to make it more like a true backup.

I'm still paying office 365 not because i need it but because onedrive is a far better solution than icloud as photo or general purpose storage.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

SlowBloke posted:

I'm still paying office 365 not because i need it but because onedrive is a far better solution than icloud as photo or general purpose storage.

True. The family version gives you up to 6TB of storage for 99/year (and usually much less on sale). Can’t beat that anywhere.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Someone in our office managed to delete about a hundred gig of data from OneDrive by mistake. I spent days trying to recover it from any of the machines that were synced, and it was absolute toast. That plus the constant little irritations it provides (won’t let me run macros on documents that I created from scratch due to security and none of the online guides to fix it work, and many more) have me soured against it and every Microsoft product. Windows is, and always has been, absolute loving garbage.

Not that Apple have a particularly good foothold in the type of software we use so I’m sure that’s no better tbh, but I use Office suite on Windows machines so that’s what I’ll gripe about.

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice

SlowBloke posted:

I have that same plan and I disagree - the way OneDrive handles photos is absolutely idiotic, unless something has changed over the last few years and it stopped treating all image files as something that should appear in the Photos section of OneDrive. I've also found uploading to OneDrive (at least from a Mac) is slow as hell and the client was unstable as hell when I tried it ~1 year ago. Works great on my Windows laptop at work though.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

EL BROMANCE posted:

Someone in our office managed to delete about a hundred gig of data from OneDrive by mistake. I spent days trying to recover it from any of the machines that were synced, and it was absolute toast. That plus the constant little irritations it provides (won’t let me run macros on documents that I created from scratch due to security and none of the online guides to fix it work, and many more) have me soured against it and every Microsoft product. Windows is, and always has been, absolute loving garbage.

Not that Apple have a particularly good foothold in the type of software we use so I’m sure that’s no better tbh, but I use Office suite on Windows machines so that’s what I’ll gripe about.

Not that this is a defense of OneDrive, but OneDrive has a means of recovering both Cloud-side and Client-side data that is sync’d, even at the user level. So if someone deleted even that, it means they really wanted those files deleted…

Cold on a Cob posted:

I have that same plan and I disagree - the way OneDrive handles photos is absolutely idiotic, unless something has changed over the last few years and it stopped treating all image files as something that should appear in the Photos section of OneDrive. I've also found uploading to OneDrive (at least from a Mac) is slow as hell and the client was unstable as hell when I tried it ~1 year ago. Works great on my Windows laptop at work though.

I can’t speak for the photos side, but the macOS client has been fine for me across a few different systems and even multiple accounts signed in at once, so I’m guessing they improved it.

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice

SourKraut posted:

Not that this is a defense of OneDrive, but OneDrive has a means of recovering both Cloud-side and Client-side data that is sync’s, even at the user level. So if someone deleted even that, it means they really wanted those files deleted…

Yeah they have a recycling bin on server side so they must have deleted both. Yet another reminder that sync != backup I guess.

SourKraut posted:

I can’t speak for the photos side, but the macOS client has been fine for me across a few different systems and even multiple accounts signed in at once, so I’m guessing they improved it.

2018 Mac Mini and a first gen m1 MacBook Air - both gave me issues. The slowdowns happened more when I was uploading several hundred gigs of large at a time, for context. I could have lived with it and/or chalked it up to doing a large initial upload and/or assumed it was temporary if the photos side of things wasn't so janky but photos is 95% of the reason I use cloud storage of any kind.

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

SlowBloke posted:

It's straight up cheaper to do Office 365 + OneDrive than it was to do DropBox and you get more storage with OneDrive too. Plus you can still do symlinks.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

SourKraut posted:

Not that this is a defense of OneDrive, but OneDrive has a means of recovering both Cloud-side and Client-side data that is sync’d, even at the user level. So if someone deleted even that, it means they really wanted those files deleted…

Nah this was definitely incompetence not malice, it was an absolute shitshow and not the first time OneDrive has been a massive headache for me. I’ve never once in years had a sync issue with iCloud, but I wouldn’t trust it as my one and only backup either mind.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT
If you have a Synology, backing up to OneDrive is a cinch. I just copy my pictures to the pictures folder and videos to the video folder and it uploads them automatically in the background, using the correct Microsoft account (I have one for my photos and another for my videos for 2TB). With Amazon Photos I had to do a dance and shuffle to get it all synced up since they removed API access a year or so ago.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

It's nice that cloud sync services like OneDrive do have a way to recover data, but cloud storage sync options like OneDrive, Dropbox, iCloud Drive are not backups.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe
The latest OneDrive update fixed all my problems with it so it might be time to check it out again if you’re looking for cloud poo poo

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

It's straight up cheaper to do Office 365 + OneDrive than it was to do DropBox and you get more storage with OneDrive too. Plus you can still do symlinks.

Dropbox is a bit of an outlier in that they think their poo poo don't stink and their storage prices reflect that.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

EL BROMANCE posted:

Someone in our office managed to delete about a hundred gig of data from OneDrive by mistake. I spent days trying to recover it from any of the machines that were synced, and it was absolute toast.

I don't know how many years ago this happened but, since at least two years, there is a dedicated "I hosed up and destroyed everything/got crypto locked" mode that will revert every single change up to a date of your choosing, even outside of the native limits on conventional versioning or maximum recycle bin retention. We used it on a couple of our accounts and we recovered 200+ gigs without issues.

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice

SlowBloke posted:

I don't know how many years ago this happened but, since at least two years, there is a dedicated "I hosed up and destroyed everything/got crypto locked" mode that will revert every single change up to a date of your choosing, even outside of the native limits on conventional versioning or maximum recycle bin retention. We used it on a couple of our accounts and we recovered 200+ gigs without issues.

This is awesome and every cloud sync service needs this.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

SlowBloke posted:

Yeah, that’s why part of why it was confusing, because deleting all of the files on OneDrive client-side, or even using the webgui interface, would have deleted them all, but then sent it to the deleted items folder accessible via the webgui. So they would have had to have not only deleted it on their machine (or in their folders via the webgui), they would then have had to elected to go into the deleted items/recovery area and deleted all of the files there too.

And then that doesn’t even get into what you mention, where the Office 365 Administrator (whether local to this office, or support provided by MS) could separately recover the files regardless of what the user themselves did for what they have access to.

And I know the Administatror-side has had recovery capabilities above and beyond what is locally available, for at least 3-5 years now.

The above functionality is definitely awesome too now though.

Xabi
Jan 21, 2006

Inventor of the Marmite pasty

FCKGW posted:

Dropbox is a bit of an outlier in that they think their poo poo don't stink and their storage prices reflect that.
What's wrong with Dropbox? I've got OneDrive and Dropbox through my job and both have worked flawlessly for me (Dropbox has been the easiest to use, but that could just be because I know the program better), unlike iCloud which can't be trusted.

Xabi fucked around with this message at 11:18 on Mar 27, 2023

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

:siren: macOS Ventura 13.3, Monterey 12.6.4, and Big Sur 11.7.5 have dropped :siren:

Apple posted:

This update includes new emoji along with other enhancements, bug fixes, and security updates for your Mac.

21 new emoji including animals, hand gestures, and objects are now available in emoji keyboard

Remove background option in Freeform automatically isolates the subject in your image

Photos duplicates album expands support to detect duplicate photos and videos in an iCloud Shared Photo Library

Transliteration support for Gujarati, Punjabi and Urdu keyboards

New keyboard layouts for Choctaw, Chickasaw, Akan, Hausa, and Yoruba

Accessibility setting to automatically dim video when flashes of light or strobe effects are detected

VoiceOver support for maps in the Weather app

Resolves an issue where Trackpad gestures may occasionally stop responding

Fixes an issue where Ask to Buy requests from children may fail to appear on the parent's device

Addresses an issue where VoiceOver may be unresponsive after using Finder

Find them under Software Update in your installed macOS.

You might have to quit/run System Settings in Ventura a few times before you get through its thickheadedness to recognize that yes, there is an update.

Binary Badger fucked around with this message at 18:37 on Mar 27, 2023

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM
Can't seem to google this.

Got the orange dot in the top right indicating something's using the microphone. How do I tell what? Used to be a list at the top of the Control Center thing, but there's nothing there.

edit: this is not the dot that comes in over control center. I see that when I start specific apps. This is waaaaay over in the corner on the upper right, the very end past the clock even.

AlternateAccount fucked around with this message at 20:48 on Mar 27, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

Freeform is kind of disappointing imo. You can’t get stuff back out of it half the time. I had a board or whatever going to gather documents for a Visa and once in half the things can’t be copied out or even printed. It’s the damndest thing.