Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

Pollyanna posted:

feeling this tbqh. what do I really have left?

Turns out you can survive that feeling for quite a while.

It's a question I've pondered for a long time, what with the progressive and extremely painful incurable illness.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

goth vegan crossfit mom who vapes

PokeJoe posted:

speaking of, I need to order some more soon. Instead of just leaving it a mystery, it's this stuff:

you can buy the same make and model in the USA but it's missing the key ingredient, the Novamin. Apparently gsk doesn't want to pay the FDA to get it certified in the USA or smth idk.

My dentist said they use Novamin there and its good. It's a "bioglass" that actually coats your teeth with science magic

since I switched to this and started using a waterpik I have had 0 cavaties

going to buy a whole lot of this when im in canada next month

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord
i use that toothpaste, it seems good

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord
i've never had a cavity though, even during the couple months when I was a teen where i was too depressed to use toothpaste

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

i've never had cavities either. various dentists have commented on how strong my enamel is for some reason

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

dioxazine posted:

i've never had cavities either. various dentists have commented on how strong my enamel is for some reason
4 out of 5 dentists stand up and clap

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Where's hbag? Did they finally go to school

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)
i sleep in a big cavity with my wife

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

Sagebrush posted:

they come and go, the inly thing heralding their arrival the sound of butter on toast

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

Kenny Logins posted:

4 out of 5 dentists stand up and clap

not my teeth, i hope!

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

dioxazine posted:

they’re flirting with you

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

fart simpson posted:

they’re flirting with you

sorry, i'm married to my computer

Animal Friend
Sep 7, 2011

being a dentist would be an insane power trip.

you get to riff and talk about whever you want in a one sided coversation... while inflicting physical pain and discomfort on people.

you get to talk out your issues while doing your job and really the only question you ask under duress for all the torment you provide is "how often do you floss" and you know the answer is going to be a lie.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Improbable Lobster posted:

i've never had a cavity though, even during the couple months when I was a teen where i was too depressed to use toothpaste

dioxazine posted:

feeling envious rn; i've had dozens of fillings, multiple crowns, and thankfully only one root canal. my gums're mostly ok at least but my enamel is just fuucked. probably mostly on me, but my dad has bad teeth too so that's my excuse :v:

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Animal Friend posted:

you get to riff and talk about whever you want in a one sided coversation... while inflicting physical pain and discomfort on people.

you get to talk out your issues while doing your job and really the only question you ask under duress for all the torment you provide is "how often do you floss" and you know the answer is going to be a lie.

from personal experience if the dentist actually wants the conversation to be two way your appointment will take forever

(I had a some weird appointments when I worked at a startup making a digital impressions 3D scanner. I left before any trials started but I did put that dentist in touch with the… idk what the title we gave him was but the dentist the startup hired part time because they really wanted in the stage ii clinicals or whatever)

hobbesmaster fucked around with this message at 18:56 on Mar 25, 2023

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

Ciaphas posted:

feeling envious rn; i've had dozens of fillings, multiple crowns, and thankfully only one root canal. my gums're mostly ok at least but my enamel is just fuucked. probably mostly on me, but my dad has bad teeth too so that's my excuse :v:

some people are just generally more prone to cavities, even if they have perfect hygiene

Gnossiennes
Jan 7, 2013

Loving chairs more every day!

Animal Friend posted:

my dentist owns in part because he doesn't talk much during appointments. I dunno if it's because he intuits what diff patients want in that respect, or if he's just a kinda quiet dude, but i greatly appreciate it either way! he does take some time to explain exactly what he's gonna be doing before he does he tho, which is also greatly, greatly appreciated. just a real good dentist all around, imo.

i get really anxious getting my hair cut because of the small talk tbh, but mostly because i still don't really understand how i want my hair cut or how to say it. i've had it explained to me several times, stg, but it just doesn't stick in my brain.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Where I go, for normal appointments the dentist only comes in for like 2 minutes. The hygienists don't really talk to me much either though.

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

nudgenudgetilt posted:

thank you whoever for the title

lol aaag

Sagebrush posted:

idk but if i was in a forum where a couple old dudes were borderline creepily obsessed with me i'd leave too. ah well

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Gnossiennes posted:

i get really anxious getting my hair cut because of the small talk tbh, but mostly because i still don't really understand how i want my hair cut or how to say it. i've had it explained to me several times, stg, but it just doesn't stick in my brain.

just get/take a picture of yourself when your hair is the way you want it and then show that picture to them

mystes
May 31, 2006

Gnossiennes posted:

Personally I've just memorized the exact instructions which luckily aren't too complicated for me since what I have done is extremely basic and I never change them, so as long as they don't ask me any unexpected questions I'm okay

I guess it would be a problem if I ever wanted to do something different but I just don't do that :shrug:

I also just don't make "small talk" while getting my haircut at all so maybe try that, lol.

mystes fucked around with this message at 00:10 on Mar 26, 2023

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

graph posted:

lol aaag

idk but if i was in a forum where a couple old dudes were borderline creepily obsessed with me i'd leave too. ah well

fr

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts
here's a free observation from the peanut gallery: casually posting dozens of times 'haha doesnt [thing i just saw online] just totally remind you of hbag? haha' is super not normal behavior and has squicked out way more people than you think

Armitag3
Mar 15, 2020

Forget it Jake, it's cybertown.

yeah totally anyway what’s fart simpson up to these days

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

Armitag3 posted:

yeah totally anyway what’s fart simpson up to these days

making bad threads !

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

President Beep posted:

i sleep in a big cavity with my wife

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

graph posted:

haha doesnt [thing i just saw online] just totally remind you of hbag? haha

no, sorry. I dont watch anime

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome

graph posted:

making bad threads !

boy howdy!

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

graph posted:

here's a free observation from the peanut gallery: casually posting dozens of times 'haha doesnt [thing i just saw online] just totally remind you of hbag? haha' is super not normal behavior and has squicked out way more people than you think

i dunno, if my paypig disappeared one day i'd wonder where they were

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them
https://twitter.com/0xnullcline/status/1639461311087284224?s=46&t=aXw7W5TiwDaOVtqp-9FOLA

poo poo we been found out

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

graph posted:

SA's not exactly good for people without the life experience to recognize and ignore bad advice. Or the tendency of people to try to prepare for disasters after the fact.

We're collectively recursively obsessed with the "right" way to do things, and all of our ideas of what that is are really loving weird and disconnected from reality, but we probably wouldn't have ended up on SA if we had figured out a way to live that's acceptable to both ourselves and the society around us.

Reminded me of myself. Reminded me I had a few bridges left unburnt, too. Refreshed my drive to be unkind to people for the right reasons. Remembering why made it a fair bit less unpleasant.

I hope the reason they're not posting is because they've got better things to do.

mystes
May 31, 2006

endlessmonotony posted:

SA's not exactly good for people without the life experience to recognize and ignore bad advice. Or the tendency of people to try to prepare for disasters after the fact.

We're collectively recursively obsessed with the "right" way to do things, and all of our ideas of what that is are really loving weird and disconnected from reality, but we probably wouldn't have ended up on SA if we had figured out a way to live that's acceptable to both ourselves and the society around us.

Reminded me of myself. Reminded me I had a few bridges left unburnt, too. Refreshed my drive to be unkind to people for the right reasons. Remembering why made it a fair bit less unpleasant.

I hope the reason they're not posting is because they've got better things to do.
Do you mean "but we probably wouldn't have ended up on SA if we hadn't figured out a way to live that's acceptable to both ourselves and the society around us."? (Guessing since you started that clause with "but" but otherwise I guess you could mean it the opposite way.)

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them
tldr

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

mystes posted:

Do you mean "but we probably wouldn't have ended up on SA if we hadn't figured out a way to live that's acceptable to both ourselves and the society around us."? (Guessing since you started that clause with "but" but I might be misunderstanding your point.)

... the point is that SA posters are by and large maladjusted and bitter. We understand we shouldn't be, so quite a few of us try to pretend we're not, and most of my gimmick is just accepting how broken I am and not trying to fix it if I would just make things worse. Insisting I have any odds of being normal and nice is the it's just a little airborne of mental health and it was driving me crazy.

Our moderating staff are lunatics with constant scandals, nobody here is a good judge of character, and we fit into society's expectations like ice cream fits in a stew. This place is very weird and usually not in a good way.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

You're missing out on nothing worth reading.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

endlessmonotony posted:

... the point is that SA posters are by and large maladjusted and bitter.

I disagree. SA posters are by and large normal people. I've met a number of goons in real life and all of them were just regular folks, maybe a little on the dorky side, like me.

There are certainly specific subforms here that are loaded with maladjusted and bitter people, and those posters tend to be extremely noisy and prolific, so perhaps that's why your view is a little skewed.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

Sagebrush posted:

I disagree. SA posters are by and large normal people. I've met a number of goons in real life and all of them were just regular folks, maybe a little on the dorky side, like me.

There are certainly specific subforms here that are loaded with maladjusted and bitter people, and those posters tend to be extremely noisy and prolific, so perhaps that's why your view is a little skewed.

Truly beautifully put.

That's my genuine opinion of this post too.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

graph posted:

making bad threads !

not today. im busy

mystes
May 31, 2006

To be fair there could be sampling bias in terms of the goons you met in real life

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

i thought i was relatively well adjusted, then everyone freaked out about some relaxing tooth pulling videos