Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Eejit
Mar 6, 2007

Swiss Army Cockatoo
Cacatua multitoolii

Steve French posted:

Two incidents in Tahoe yesterday, fortunately neither resulting in even injuries, but both involving people out there solo. Got a haircut today, apparently my barber was half of the other party of 2 referenced in the first one; they were under the first slide the snowboarder set off, then talked to him, before he went right back up and set off the second

https://www.sierraavalanchecenter.org/observation/2023/mar/20/1230/north-bowl-castle-peak
https://www.sierraavalanchecenter.org/observation/2023/mar/20/1345/round-top-peak

I swear some people have a deathwish

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Steve French
Sep 8, 2003

Eejit posted:

I swear some people have a deathwish

for a second I assumed this was a response to my last post, and the photo with my skis in it, and I was gonna be like nah I've got Commanders and Wildcats, no Deathwish

Moot .1415926535
Mar 24, 2006

Yep, that's pretty much it.
Got the chipotle blades mounted today and probably gonna sneak out for a lunch lap tomorrow but we have a bit too much fresh snow for those. Maybe this weekend.

Steve French
Sep 8, 2003

Moot .1415926535 posted:

Got the chipotle blades mounted today and probably gonna sneak out for a lunch lap tomorrow but we have a bit too much fresh snow for those. Maybe this weekend.

sunday is international snowblade day, in case you weren't aware

EvilTwig
Jan 31, 2001
Sun Valley trip was just as enjoyable as pointed out previously in this thread, we got lucky with plenty of freshness with staggered openings over the week. The expansion area was still under avy control, so it looks like I'll need to go back at some point.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
Got hit and run pulling in to the lot at copper earlier. Cool cool.

Thankfully cop was able to catch the rear end in a top hat.

Moot .1415926535
Mar 24, 2006

Steve French posted:

sunday is international snowblade day, in case you weren't aware

Aaaathank you

Some thoughts on the blades:

1. Not great in chop
2. Quads
3. Great for dancing while skiing
4. Yeehaw

Overall extremely satisfied with the purchase.

Moot .1415926535 fucked around with this message at 22:55 on Mar 23, 2023

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

Pretty solid day. Everything above tree line was 4” of punchy wind slab on top of softer snow. I’m a turny skier, so dealing with constantly diving tails was…suboptimal. Charging worked okay for float, but with how grabby the snow was, as soon as I’d get up to speed my ACLs were like, “Jesus, take the wheel!”

Just felt like a highly transitional snowpack.

Overall it was still manageable and there was plenty of soft snow to be found. I was just reminded of how much I suck in those conditions.

Residency Evil posted:

Got hit and run pulling in to the lot at copper earlier. Cool cool.

Thankfully cop was able to catch the rear end in a top hat.

Weeeelp this is 2023 so you can look forward to him being back on the road with no actual punishment. Sorry about your car. People suck.

Steve French
Sep 8, 2003

Palisades just announced they're open through July 4.

April: 100% open
May: Alpine closed Mon/Tues, Palisades closed Wed/Thurs, otherwise open (or maybe I got those reversed? either way each resort open 5 days a week with at least one of them every day
June through July 4: Alpine open Fri through Sun, Palisades closed... apparently they have to replace the haul rope on the funitel and can't wait any longer to do it. Oops! lovely timing season-wise.

Oldsrocket_27
Apr 28, 2009
Looking at secondhand skis, is there any functional difference between women's skis and mens or is it just different color schemes?

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Good skis will be structurally different, this may or may not include differences in flex pattern, mount point, sidecut profile, etc

Oldsrocket_27
Apr 28, 2009

bawfuls posted:

Good skis will be structurally different, this may or may not include differences in flex pattern, mount point, sidecut profile, etc

Is there any good reason for it or is it one of those things like "women's specific geometry" in cycling where it's different in ways that are actively worse for users because of marketing bullshit?

Or if it's just the they're meant to be easier to ski on that sounds great for a bad skier like me.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Women do tend to have a different center of mass than men, is the explanation I’ve always read. But I’ve known plenty of women who love particular “men’s” skis so like anything gear related it’s really down to personal preference/needs.

Oldsrocket_27
Apr 28, 2009
Thanks for the help. I'm trying to shop around since we don't actually get to ski very often, which makes it hard to justify a big purchase that won't be cheaper than rentals for many years. It'll be nicer equipment a fewer lines yes, but I'm not sure if an average of once a year is worth it, and as much as we want to go more often, I'm skeptical we will. Kids and travel times make it tough. Right after our last trip I was on the fence and my wife was for buying. Now I'm on board to buy and she's skeptical. My thought is that if I do want to buy, I'm about to hit the best time of year so I should get it over with now before I'm stuck waiting another year for a deal.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

You're right that, this is the best time of year to be hunting for deals on gear for sure

Ohtori Akio
Jul 15, 2022
I might get a couple more Saturdays in but I'm just about done for the season, night skiing's over and mornings are hard to come by for me. I kinda sorta know how to get down a hill in both disciplines and I didn't permanently damage myself so I'm calling it a success. Next season........I ought to take a lesson or ten.

Eejit
Mar 6, 2007

Swiss Army Cockatoo
Cacatua multitoolii

Many manufacturers don't even sell men's or women's skis now, take that as you will

PolishPandaBear
Apr 10, 2009
Just went snowboarding for the first time in 7 or 8 years and found these in my old stash of gear. I'm pretty sure a goon was making and selling these around 2009 when I first started. Does anyone remember these?

Anyway, my SO and I took a few days to go to Tahoe last weekend with friends and both realized how much we missed snowboarding and want to get back into it and upgrade some of our gear. The soles of her boots literally just disintegrated into tiny pieces, the foam on my goggles is crumbling away, and the date on my helmet is from 2008.

Any thoughts on the Patagonia Powder Town gear? Kinda hard to find good reviews. Looking at at just getting bibs to replace my old pants.

Also just bought a Giro Jackson. Tried it on at REI and it felt great. Any goggle recommendations that will work well the helmet? They've already restocked for the summer season and there's not really many other stores in LA. Was looking at the Smith Squad, or something else in that price range. I'm ot too concerned with magnetic or spherical lenses. Is there a good reason to not go cheaper than $100?

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

PolishPandaBear posted:

Just went snowboarding for the first time in 7 or 8 years and found these in my old stash of gear. I'm pretty sure a goon was making and selling these around 2009 when I first started. Does anyone remember these?

Dude that guy was awesome. I can't recall his handle and name though. He was up in steamboat and then down in Vail running their ski school or something. Really cool guy.

ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS
Hah, I've got one of those, too. Same colour scheme.

Well, no idea where it is, but I used to

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Oldsrocket_27 posted:

Thanks for the help. I'm trying to shop around since we don't actually get to ski very often, which makes it hard to justify a big purchase that won't be cheaper than rentals for many years. It'll be nicer equipment a fewer lines yes, but I'm not sure if an average of once a year is worth it, and as much as we want to go more often, I'm skeptical we will. Kids and travel times make it tough. Right after our last trip I was on the fence and my wife was for buying. Now I'm on board to buy and she's skeptical. My thought is that if I do want to buy, I'm about to hit the best time of year so I should get it over with now before I'm stuck waiting another year for a deal.

There’s also the wide and wonderful world of fall ski/skate sales (at least in New England, I have no idea how regional this is).

Spime Wrangler
Feb 23, 2003

Because we can.

Yo anyone else here interlodged in the snowbird creekside building and wanna grab a beer??

Moot .1415926535
Mar 24, 2006

PolishPandaBear posted:

Any thoughts on the Patagonia Powder Town gear? Kinda hard to find good reviews. Looking at at just getting bibs to replace my old pants.

I’ve heard good things about the powder town shell and will probably go with those when I replace my arcteryx pants because I don’t want to spend $700 and Patagonia is good with fixing poo poo if it goes wrong.

Moot .1415926535
Mar 24, 2006

Crazy how the snow just naturally piles up like that

PolishPandaBear
Apr 10, 2009

spwrozek posted:

Dude that guy was awesome. I can't recall his handle and name though. He was up in steamboat and then down in Vail running their ski school or something. Really cool guy.
That's a cool bit of history. I don't remember any of that.

ante posted:

Hah, I've got one of those, too. Same colour scheme.

Well, no idea where it is, but I used to
I remember loving the silver paisley think I was all hot poo poo back then.

Moot .1415926535 posted:

I’ve heard good things about the powder town shell and will probably go with those when I replace my arcteryx pants because I don’t want to spend $700 and Patagonia is good with fixing poo poo if it goes wrong.
Yeah, I do like that about Patagonia too. The other sustainability stuff is also a plus.

I just realized I might need a new jacket too. Just looked at my old Sessions shell and all the tape is releasing from the seams, but it's also white with some black patches, and the white doesn't stay clean for long. Maybe next season though. I'll just coat it with Nikwax for now and pray for the best.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

Worst part of this time of year: ski season almost over, at least at Purgatory. After next week, just weekends through April and then kaput.

Best part of this time of year: cheap skis. Between Canadian and European sites, there's a smorgasbord of stuff. Finally settled on a pair of Line Sakanas and Attack2 11 bindings (all I really need) for something like $530 USD shipped from Corbett's. Was a tough call between those and some Ripstick 106s for basically the same price from OutdoorXL.

Other worst part: waiting until December to get on the new skis.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Skied Baldy yesterday to get an idea of coverage in the local mountains (San Gorgonio is gonna have to wait till late May probably) and who do I see there but none other than Jeremy loving Jones! An all time season in the Sierras and he’s down in SoCal at Mt Baldy. He was with a couple other people and they went straight up to hike the ridge above the ski area towards San Antonio.

I should have harassed him for a selfie in the parking lot but I chickened out.

Nitramster
Mar 10, 2006
THERE'S NO TIME!!!
Whelp I bought an Ikon pass, gonna get more than a few weekends in here from L.A. this season with it. Ski'd as a kid in the 90's, boarded as a teenager through mid 2005 when bills and debt became a thing, from then till now I hit the slopes a handful of times. Can't wait to be exhausted 2 runs in for the next month.

Figured I'd find this thread and say, "Hi."

I saw they opened a Wave Rave in Carson (Pretty big shop up in Mammoth for those not in California), going to hit them up for a set of new gear this week, saw they were having a pretty decent sale. The last time I used my old stuff my bindings broke, my feet were freezing and smashed, and my pants ripped the crotch. I've also never used a helmet in my life, so since I'll be a squid again I should get with the times, and being late 30's I definitely don't bounce when I hit the floor anymore. If anyone has advice for brands or gear from this season that should be on sale to take a look at I'd appreciate that. Cheers.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Beautiful day in the cascades yesterday and my first time actually having to put on tire chains. It sucks!! worth it though.

Skiïng with my 4 year old is a lot more fun now that we like to brave the taller green runs and not just the bunny slope over and over again. Also 10x more tiring, braking for two down a long run is intense and my quads and calves are absolute toast.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
Haven't been skiing in a few weeks and got up to the local hill after hours yesterday. Sun was out and took a little trip above and past the boundaries to the top of another mountain

It's popular to ski down to the lake there but I was by myself at the end of the day and conditions are questionable due to lots of new windloaded snow on crusts so I just came straight back down the ridge

Can't fall off of or get stranded on the chair if you don't ride them (two things that have happened in the last week or so)

about 7pm here

In conclusion skiing is fun. Getting close to 40 days for the season- more touring than lifts but have more than paid for my season pass.

jamal fucked around with this message at 19:29 on Mar 27, 2023

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream

jamal posted:

Haven't been skiing in a few weeks and got up to the local hill after hours yesterday. Sun was out and took a little trip above and past the boundaries to the top of another mountain

It's popular to ski down to the lake there but I was by myself at the end of the day and conditions are questionable due to lots of new windloaded snow on crusts so I just came straight back down the ridge

Can't fall off of or get stranded on the chair if you don't ride them (two things that have happened in the last week or so)

about 7pm here

In conclusion skiing is fun. Getting close to 40 days for the season- more touring than lifts but have more than paid for my season pass.

sick pics

ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS

jamal posted:

drat, it's not your week, huh?

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
Heh, no, referring to this

https://liftblog.com/2023/03/24/toddler-falls-father-self-lowers-after-chair-damaged-hitting-tower-at-montana-snowbowl/

also they shut off a chair with a guy on it recently. And have had at least one rope evac of the whole broken down chair in the last month.

My policy is never get on the lift at snowbowl if I even slightly have to pee. And always keep snacks in my jacket pockets.

Possibly my best ski day of the year was the day the power went out and they had 2 feet of fresh snow. I went and got my touring gear and took my own laps.

jamal fucked around with this message at 16:36 on Mar 28, 2023

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
Lmao love how they just put red tape on the broken chair and kept running it.

Car Hater
May 7, 2007

wolf. bike.
Wolf. Bike.
Wolf! Bike!
WolfBike!
WolfBike!
ARROOOOOO!
Crossposting from MTB thread because bikes!

I'm considering buying a van and starting a mobile skibike rental service next winter. How many goons live near a ski area that allows them (map here: https://americanskibike.com/ride-1) and would be interested in rentals/lessons/letting me crash on your couch?

Maybe some opportunities still this season but I'll be in Colorado when I get back to the states, figure most people there already have exposure to them and I don't want to step on the local rental folks' toes

ought ten
Feb 6, 2004

Car Hater posted:

Crossposting from MTB thread because bikes!

I'm considering buying a van and starting a mobile skibike rental service next winter. How many goons live near a ski area that allows them (map here: https://americanskibike.com/ride-1) and would be interested in rentals/lessons/letting me crash on your couch?

Maybe some opportunities still this season but I'll be in Colorado when I get back to the states, figure most people there already have exposure to them and I don't want to step on the local rental folks' toes

Are you planning to stay out west or would you come east?

Car Hater
May 7, 2007

wolf. bike.
Wolf. Bike.
Wolf! Bike!
WolfBike!
WolfBike!
ARROOOOOO!

ought ten posted:

Are you planning to stay out west or would you come east?

Given enough forewarning I'd definitely come east, family is all in the Midwest anyway

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

Ski and Snowboard 22/23:

https://twitter.com/thisismeryan13/status/1639410298015604736

(I’m not really following this. From what I hear it’s just someone looking for a payday off a celebrity. But the quote made me chuckle).

waffle enthusiast fucked around with this message at 18:54 on Mar 29, 2023

ought ten
Feb 6, 2004

Car Hater posted:

Given enough forewarning I'd definitely come east, family is all in the Midwest anyway

I’m not near any of the good Maine mountains but yeah let me know if it pans out and you come this way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ubiquitus
Nov 20, 2011

Hey y’all, I’ve been recreationally snowboarding for years, and I go once or twice a year on average.

I think it’s time to buy some of my own stuff, specifically I’m looking at boots/board/bindings (and if someone has goggles/gloves/pants they’d recommend that would be amazing too).

I want to maximize comfort since I’m probably on the low end of intermediate skill, any recommendations?

So far I’m looking at these two boots and I can’t make it past all the buzz words to figure out if I’m really get $100 of difference:

https://ridesnowboards.com/en-us/p/anchor-snowboard-boots-2122

https://www.tradeinn.com/snowinn/en/ride-fuse-snowboard-boots/139181224/p?queryID=1cf2161c5a3e93c15a8cde67714ba6fd&buscador_search