Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned

Mustached Demon posted:

I cannot wait to watch Cubs baseball and post about Cubs baseball with my fellow Cubs baseball fans

Fixed it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
Did you guys know that every single player that Brian Cashman has acquired since the trade deadline last season is going to start this season on the IL. lol

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!

Mustached Demon posted:

I cannot wait to watch baseball and post about watching baseball with my fellow posters.

uggy
Aug 6, 2006

Posting is SERIOUS BUSINESS
and I am completely joyless

Don't make me judge you
little article about yankees hats being popular in brazil

https://www.nytimes.com/2023/03/29/world/americas/yankees-caps-brazil.html

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
You know who's ready for opening day? Pear Baby.

http://mediadownloads.mlb.com/mlbam/mp4/2016/09/01/1120237683/1472693336842/asset_1200K.mp4

She's probably in college by now

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.
https://twitter.com/MikeTrout/status/1640351955984809985

Nobody needs more golf courses, but Trout is building one in Vineland, NJ.

Vineland is weird in that so much of it is unchanged since the 70s and 80s, but there's also a ton of undeveloped land that was probably super cheap.

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

We're in the best posting shape of our lives.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

hmmm wonder what's back there :thunk:

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

zoux posted:

hmmm wonder what's back there :thunk:

Probably a camera.

Bregor
May 31, 2013

People are idiots, Leslie.

Red posted:

Nobody needs more golf courses, but Trout is building one in Vineland, NJ.

Vineland is weird in that so much of it is unchanged since the 70s and 80s, but there's also a ton of undeveloped land that was probably super cheap.

Trout just making sure he has somewhere to play in October

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

mcmagic posted:

Probably a camera.

I can understand why you might not recognize it but that's a championship banner!

Bregor posted:

I've been trying to come up with a joke about this for 24 hours and you nailed it

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

zoux posted:

I can understand why you might not recognize it but that's a championship banner!

I've still seen more of them in my life than you have....... With no cheating scandals too!

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

Oh my god you cannot actually be doing the "count the rings" schtick

Forrest on Fire
Nov 23, 2012

The Yankees are 0-1 lifetime in the World Series against the Arizona Diamondbacks, the clear Ring-Kisser's option :smuggo:

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

more falafel please posted:

Astros poster was doing literally that lol

tylertfb
Mar 3, 2004

Time.Space.Transmat.

elentar posted:

Opening Day rainouts are surprisingly common

It’s probably going to rainout in San Diego (of all places) on Thursday. This has been the 2nd rainiest winter/spring here in my entire (way too long) lifetime. (1977 had 2 more days of rain)

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
You guys I'm so excited to watch more Mariners baseball!!!

(please be 2022 good Mariners)

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

more falafel please posted:

I mean an Astros fan trying to mock a Yankees fan as unfamiliar with championships is a pretty funny stretch. It’s been “awhile” in Yankees terms but like cmon now, zoux walked right into that one.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
Should be 50 and beautiful at Wrigley tomorrow. We'll ignore that it is currently snowing.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

bawfuls posted:

I mean an Astros fan trying to mock a Yankees fan as unfamiliar with championships is a pretty funny stretch. It’s been “awhile” in Yankees terms but like cmon now, zoux walked right into that one.

The Astros were a poverty dogshit franchise until they figured out how to tank pretty well a few years ago and have won based on that and a good deal of cheating. Their fans, especially in this thread, are getting a little too big for their britches.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

zoux posted:

actually this is an extremely funny post.

MrMidnight
Aug 3, 2006

Astros and Yankee fans poo poo talking? Must be opening day!

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!

zoux posted:

:golfclap:

Meanwhile all is good in Twinsland, look at how the roster is finally healthy after last year's injuryinduced implosion:

quote:

Trevor Larnach, Jorge Alcala, Sonny Gray, Bailey Ober and Ryan Jeffers are among the key players who had strong, healthy springs after battling injuries last season. And in general, the Twins are in much, much, much better injury shape than they were in August and September.
Just, uh, pay no attention to the training room behind the curtain

quote:

Jorge Polanco and Alex Kirilloff are starting the season on the injured list with problems dating back to last year. Byron Buxton is going to be limited mostly to designated hitter duties early on as he returns from knee surgery. Kenta Maeda looked wobbly this spring returning from Tommy John surgery. Tyler Mahle’s velocity continues to fluctuate. Josh Winder has been moved to the bullpen, and sent to the minors, as he tries to get his shoulder healthy.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

Bregor posted:

Holy poo poo

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves
It was a good enough dig just like it's a good dig when people post that "cowboys superbowl pics" meme where it's a floppy disc even if their own franchises are far less successful

It also succeeded in getting mcmagic to slip from "the yankees are a dogshit run franchise" to "kiss the rings" which is also funny

e:

Bregor posted:

lol

Intruder fucked around with this message at 16:33 on Mar 29, 2023

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!
The Athletic ran interviews with a bunch of folks aeound the league about the Billion Dollar Shortstop Class:

notcashman posted:

“The league is at a crossroad,” one executive told The Athletic. “Do you want the league to be represented by just these giant markets? And then [small-market teams] sort of become the Washington Generals? And they just beat up on us, and that’s OK? Or do they want true parity in the game?”

goodguy Trea posted:

Turner hoped to fulfill his sense of obligation to the MLB Players Association, securing a deal that would pave the way for others. With the eye-popping numbers of his contract, he did just that.

“Nobody wants to sign a bad deal and hurt the guy coming after him,” Turner said.

:qq: posted:

“It’s over 25 percent of the league that is spending what (small markets) think is Monopoly money,” said a partner in one club’s ownership who spoke on the condition of anonymity. “I think they’re saying, ‘It was bad enough when it was like a couple of people, but now it’s like there’s a whole gang of them out there.’

“If it’s only the Yankees you kind of have to worry about — and Boston — that’s one thing. But now if it’s five or six other teams on top of those guys, it’s really hard, so I think that’s the big change.”
[...]
“And the question is: How upset are they?” the club ownership partner said. “It’s pretty clear what they would like to have happen. But are they prepared to go through the pain for that? That’s really what it boils down to. If they think they can take a long (work stoppage) to get a hard salary-cap system in place, I think they’re going to push for it.”
Note that minority ownership partner is code for statusobsessed dipshit with more money than sense, so there's definitely puffery here

The smartest man posted:

It is Seidler, of course, who underwrites the frenetic pace of Preller’s deal-making. After years of supporting one of the sport’s smallest payrolls, the Padres have grown to the point that this year they will pay into the revenue-sharing system. Seidler downplayed his role in San Diego’s transformation.

“We just believe in the future of Major League Baseball,” Seidler said ["and the increase to my franchise valuation," he probably added under his breath]

Get, and I cannot stress this enough, hosed posted:

“​​From an industry standpoint, it became more of a prevalent thought in my mind that small-market teams are going to have a hard time ever having a Hall of Famer again,” Royals general manager J.J. Picollo said. “Because when I say a Hall of Famer, I mean somebody who goes into Cooperstown with your logo on their hat. You start to realize those (chances) are few and far between. It’s going to be harder and harder for a small-market team to have that type of player.”

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

Poque posted:

Should be 50 and beautiful at Wrigley tomorrow. We'll ignore that it is currently snowing.

Foiled by the good weather again! :argh:

Global warming is ruining my ability to wear cool jackets.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

Bregor posted:

lol

bees x1000
Jun 11, 2020

Angels win the Cactus League while missing Trout and Ohtani for most of it. Surely we will break .500 this year.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer

bees x1000 posted:

Angels win the Cactus League while missing Trout and Ohtani for most of it. Surely we will break .500 this year.

So the reason the Angels haven't made the playoffs is because of Ohtani and Trout? Well I guess the Cubs would be willing to take them.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves
How can they be Cubs if they never slumped and are incapable of being back?

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

Bregor posted:

:vince:

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Intruder posted:

How can they be Cubs if they never slumped and are incapable of being back?

Mike Trout struck out to end the USAs run in the WBC, I think we can bring him BACK

Ohtani uh ok well... I'll have to get back to you on that

Edit: In 2016 Ohtani's Nippon-Ham Fighters lost the Japan Series to the Hiroshima Carp, the Cubs will right this injustice and he will be BACK

Popete fucked around with this message at 17:19 on Mar 29, 2023

Exodor
Oct 1, 2004

ozymandius1024 posted:

Fingers crossed that everything doesn't go completely wrong this year and that the Tigers are merely just *bad* with a functional offense :)

Excited to watch the Royals and Tigers fight for the title of "Worst Team in the Worst Division in Baseball"

Exodor
Oct 1, 2004

quote:

“​​From an industry standpoint, it became more of a prevalent thought in my mind that small-market teams are going to have a hard time ever having a Hall of Famer again,” Royals general manager J.J. Picollo said. “Because when I say a Hall of Famer, I mean somebody who goes into Cooperstown with your logo on their hat. You start to realize those (chances) are few and far between. It’s going to be harder and harder for a small-market team to have that type of player.”

The Royals have a HOFer on their roster right now who will probably go into the hall with a KC on his hat.

And the Royals have little room to bitch about how unfair the league's salary structure is when they've poo poo the bed in every draft for the past decade. Draft better and spend some money you cheap fucks. And not on utter garbage players like Jordan Lyles and Ryan Yarbrough. :argh:

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Greinke is 100% a blank-hat guy

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

First guy in the Hall in a fishing hat

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..
Anybody have big opening day plans?

Exodor
Oct 1, 2004

bawfuls posted:

Greinke is 100% a blank-hat guy

If he had won a World Series elsewhere I'd agree but Greinke likes KC enough to spend the last few years of his career there knowing it means he'll never win a ring. I think he gets KC their second member of the HOF.

He's my favorite player but I'll never stop being amused by him demanding a trade because the team sucks and the Royals using that trade to build a World Series winner while he tries and fails to win a ring elsewhere.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Hand Knit posted:

Anybody have big opening day plans?

Watching baseball on my second monitor well I WFH all day