Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

In It For The Tank
Feb 17, 2011

But I've yet to figure out a better way to spend my time.
How do people deal with the dogs in the hedge maze in the castle. I'm playing a New Game Professional run and they are loving ruining my day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eraflure
Oct 12, 2012

Headshot them with the pistol, shotgun if they turn into plagas. There's really not much to them.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mjhJPiBI_5w

:allears:

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
Professional is kinda annoying on the remake, parrying is limited to perfect so good luck getting it out when you're surrounded, the beginning ganados feel even more bullet spongey. At least the gun upgrades are all unlocked from the start but yeeesh, this is a grind

poe meater
Feb 17, 2011
Hello folks, I just beat the game last night and I have a confession.

I'm pretty sure I never did a suplex the whole game.

Hilario Baldness
Feb 10, 2005

:buddy:

Grimey Drawer

poe meater posted:

I found myself running around enemies just so I could suplex because I feel like it does more damage / less chance of of them becoming brain worms

Broose
Oct 28, 2007

poe meater posted:

I think I did two, max. In my experience all the enemies no-sell the leg shots even more than head shots, and when they do react it isn't the melee setup. I blew off multiple legs at the knee before I got a melee prompt.

I am saddened by what feels like a nerf of the starting pistol's special between OG and remake. It still pops heads occasionally, but not as often as before for whatever reason. It was my go-to on the Wii version.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

I never had much of an issue downing an enemy with a leg shot to set up a suplex. At most two shots on standard. And as I mentioned previously, there were many times where they do a 180 while they fall, literally begging me to suplex them.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Yeah, I was gonna say, I was feeling pretty down on having to specifically set up suplexes in the village, but then I got to the castle and a very noticeable fraction of the enemies are just doing that spin to set me up.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum
A few years ago, I started an 'all resident evils' playthrough (having already played and finished 2, 4 and 5) and did 1 remake, 2 OG, 2 remake, 3 OG (before remake came out) and ... petered out when I got to the castle in RE4 OG (yeah. I know. it's the best one. I finished it ages ago on ps2!). I decided to skip 5 because I played it when it came out and it was only ok. 6 made me feel really ill when I played it and I heard it sucks anyway, so finally I got around to 7 and I loving LOVE it. What a fantastic game. What are the consensus opinions about 7 and village these days? I bought village a while ago for $20 so I'm really looking forward to getting 'round to it. Is it worth trying the revelations games? I bought some kind of 'all REs' bundle on steam ages ago so I have both of those. If I didn't love 3, should I bother with the remake?

Here's my ranking from best to worst. I've finished all of them apart from where noted.

2 Remake: gently caress this game is fantastic. The only sad point I have is that it doesn't have the proper '4 possible playthroughs' that the OG had. Looks and plays great. Have tried ghost survivors a few times and failed. Sort of started thinking about speedrunning but my life is too busy.
2 OG: I played this pirated on a friend's pc, with no cutscenes or something. My intro to resident evil. Played a ton of this.
4 OG, PS2: I remember when I got it on ps2 and it was such a good game. I did a professional playthrough after finishing on normal, and some area called 'the knight room' just destroyed me. I had no ammo left and gave up.
7 (so far. I just finished off first mini boss fight in the old house and unlocked shortcut to the trailer). Playing on normal.
1 HD (Steam): I'd heard a lot about this over the years and it was good to play! If I'd played it when it came out I'd probably have a better opinion of it. Bigger than I expected, and stuff in the other games I thought was 'new ideas' was often actually references to this game.
3: Nemesis OG (just too hard, nemesis is mean, story and atmosphere is only ok).
Code Veronica: I found it too hard, didn't get very far. I should have looked up a walkthrough and tried a bit harder maybe.
<massive gap here>
5: felt like a lot of other games of the era and less like resident evil. Also the 'tribal' bad guys: JFC. Gameplay was fine but it doesn't really leave much of an impression.
6: Any game that makes me feel physically ill comes last automatically. gently caress this game. I've played like an hour and a half of it and yuck.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."
I'm surprised people were hating the Salazar fight and maybe its different when you're doing it on hardcore no hits no merchant no saves speed run S+ mode but on normal mode I just shot him a lot and hid behind columns when he spit acid everywhere (I did die to his instant kill thing twice before I learned to run away when he gets that close though)

RIP gay undead evil Peter Lorre who drops expensive makeup afterwards, I don't know if you were problematic or not

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Does tossing a grenade into Salazar's mouth actually like do anything? I did it for the challenge/trophy but it didn't seem to effect him much.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

It makes sense that you have to work to supplex in the village since it wasn't what Leon did in OG, he only did the kick

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Im doing a Professional S+ run right now off a fresh save and sure the Chicago sweeper is nice but you have to somehow get to maxing it before you die so a lot of my routing has changed to accommodate that I have to pick up treasure/do quests quickly on the way to finishing the game as quick as possible. It’s kind of a nightmare. Oh, and the village attack with the starting pistol and beginning of the game health? gently caress you.

I’m really not looking forward to the cabin attack.

Bumhead
Sep 26, 2022

poe meater posted:

I have done the grand total of 1 so far, and that was in the cabin siege while I was running around like a headless chicken essentially just button mashing.

No idea how I did it and can’t replicate it. I’d have been sure they were removed from the game other than that.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

redreader posted:

What What are the consensus opinions about 7 and village these days?

I love em both. I personally liked Village more (it's my second after the original 4, haven't ranked the remake yet). It draws a lot from 4 and goes more for action than 7, it just really went for what I like best in these games.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

Is it only with the rifle that you can ring the bell? Or is it just so difficult to do with a pistol that you're better off just trying to survive the regular way

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Aces High posted:

Is it only with the rifle that you can ring the bell? Or is it just so difficult to do with a pistol that you're better off just trying to survive the regular way

I don't know for sure but I wouldn't be surprised if the pistol's projectile doesn't even travel that far

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late

redreader posted:

Is it worth trying the revelations games? I bought some kind of 'all REs' bundle on steam ages ago so I have both of those. If I didn't love 3, should I bother with the remake?

Both Revelations are worthwhile, though the first one has some limitations because it was originally a 3DS game. Most people in the thread like 2 even if they didn't like 1.

The 3 Remake is more like a a short expansion pack for RE2 Remake, so you might like it way more than RE3 classic. It is only a few hours long either way.

i vomit kittens
Apr 25, 2019

NieR Occomata posted:

Im doing a Professional S+ run right now off a fresh save and sure the Chicago sweeper is nice but you have to somehow get to maxing it before you die so a lot of my routing has changed to accommodate that I have to pick up treasure/do quests quickly on the way to finishing the game as quick as possible. It’s kind of a nightmare. Oh, and the village attack with the starting pistol and beginning of the game health? gently caress you.

I’m really not looking forward to the cabin attack.

If you do all of the merchant requests in the village you end up with exactly enough spinels to purchase an exclusive upgrade ticket, and it's much earlier than you would actually have the money to max out the upgrades the normal way. I haven't unlocked the Sweeper yet but that's my plan when I do.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

I was considering that but one the blue medallion shooting is too time consuming and two I don’t remember when the max ticket even becomes available. It’s not from the beginning I can guarantee that.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

I'm not at a shooting gallery for a direct comparison, but it looks like my graphics issue was the Fidelity FX SuperResolution setting that was turned on by default (bottom image). Turned that off and everything looks a lot better. I'll check directly against my previous shot when I get to the castle shooting gallery, whenever that is.

If I hadn't been trying to zoom in on distant targets I never would have noticed. Whatever FSR does it looks fine (for me, my eyes are almost as low-quality as my PC) up close but wasn't readjusting when scoped.

Bruceski fucked around with this message at 23:43 on Mar 29, 2023

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

NieR Occomata posted:

I was considering that but one the blue medallion shooting is too time consuming and two I don’t remember when the max ticket even becomes available. It’s not from the beginning I can guarantee that.

How long are you taking to shoot the medallions? It’s a few minutes at most. Are you trying to get sub 3 hours or something?

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

Yeah you can get all the medallions while you're doing other things in the area, may have to shoot like one out of your way if you don't know where they are exactly. The outside the castle ones are probably the toughest, you can at least get one of them with the cannon though.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

I'm going inside the facilities early on the island section now, and I like how the environments are just ...grody in a different way than I was expecting. I got a laugh when I saw where the merchant had set up shop in there.

I've fallen on hard times, strange-ah!

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

In It For The Tank posted:

How do people deal with the dogs in the hedge maze in the castle. I'm playing a New Game Professional run and they are loving ruining my day.
Standard difficulty, but I took the scope off my semi-auto rifle because it has a pleasant ring sight that let me shoot them in a hurry when I was low on shotgun ammo. I took off the scope because a dog in a well lit spot would turn into "Who is loving with my visuals?" aimed at them for whatever drat reason.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 00:34 on Mar 30, 2023

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!

Captain Hygiene posted:

I love em both. I personally liked Village more (it's my second after the original 4, haven't ranked the remake yet). It draws a lot from 4 and goes more for action than 7, it just really went for what I like best in these games.

I like 8 a lot, but I think there's several games I'd rank above it (Remake 2, OG2, REmake, 7, OGRE4, Revelations 2 and probably Remake 4). I'd put it about par with Remake 3, but that's no slight against it, Remake 3's only sin is its length.

I think what stops 8 from being absolute top-tier is it feels a bit piecemeal and none of the sections left me fully satisfied, like I was playing Resident Evil themed mini-games. It's still a very good game and a steal at $20.

I got a great bug in Re4R earlier - got hit by a torch in the cabin and remained on fire for the entirety of the siege (without taking further damage). It was like Leon became a Ghost Rider.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
I really like RE8. It's a silly good times rollercoaster with a few scares. It's also legitimately hilarious and the fact that you end up in a Sam Raimi feeling weaponised tractor battle against a monster made out of chainsaws just killed me.

JBP fucked around with this message at 00:56 on Mar 30, 2023

Hilario Baldness
Feb 10, 2005

:buddy:

Grimey Drawer
I would put the puzzle house in village as among my favorite RE levels period

CV 64 Fan
Oct 13, 2012

It's pretty dope.

Randallteal
May 7, 2006

The tears of time

RatHat posted:

Does this apply to the gunpowder one too? Though that one isn't too bad in comparison

I've been using the gunpowder case all game but haven't ever had enough powder to craft all my materials. Maybe I'm crafting too many shells and rifle bullets, but I do the handgun and SMG recipes too whenever I'm low on those.

If you fully upgrade the striker, does the game actually drop enough shells to fill it up? I'm trying to imagine having 48 shotgun shells at once.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Having just finished the platinum for re8, which involved beating it 6 times in total, I feel fairly qualified to say that 8 is overall the most complete of the resident evils outside of maybe re4r, which it takes direct inspiration from. Every section is pretty much perfectly lengthed - although I do wish you could skip Beneviento in speedruns because it’s just 15 minutes of tedium. Castle Dimitrescu will take you around 4-6 hours to complete the first time, Beneviento about an hour, the Quarry about an hour to two hours, and the Factory around three to four hours. The village and all of its parts take roughly, I dunno, four-ish hours to beat? Nothing overstays its welcome outside of arguably the factory and only because four levels is kind of a lot for what its intentions are,
and the game is really effective at building out the village as almost a metroidvania-esque hub world that you keep returning to with new key items that consistently let you access new areas. There’s a lot of hidden bosses and secret areas, both of which are rarities in RE’s history. It also has probably the most fun toughest difficulty of all the REs where you actually want to play it over and over instead of doing it the set number of times until you get the unlocks you get from clearing it then never play it again, and the toughest difficulty does more things than just makes the enemies faster and more aggressive and better at dodging, they change and add spawns depending on difficulty. It’s imo the way to build an re that future games in the series should copy - have defined sections that don’t last too long that drastically change the experience of playing it, because it creates this constant forward action as nothing makes you want to stop playing (except Beneviento after you’ve done it once but that’s not the section’s fault, it’s a direct result of the entire design of it being thrilling and amazing exactly once and every subsequent time being like “gently caress not this poo poo again”.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

Randallteal posted:

I've been using the gunpowder case all game but haven't ever had enough powder to craft all my materials. Maybe I'm crafting too many shells and rifle bullets, but I do the handgun and SMG recipes too whenever I'm low on those.

If you fully upgrade the striker, does the game actually drop enough shells to fill it up? I'm trying to imagine having 48 shotgun shells at once.

You'll have enough on the island and probably NG+ to fully load the striker but I'd rather have a shotgun that hits like a train than one that shits out shells for middling damage.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Luis fate thinking about how one of the last things he ever saw was a FBI agent shooting popup pirates for like 3 hours trying to win keychains (one of which is himself)

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Lol, with the other surprise instadeaths I've run into, I can't believe you basically just shrug off getting conked in the face with a five ton wrecking ball

Captain Hygiene fucked around with this message at 01:39 on Mar 30, 2023

Randallteal
May 7, 2006

The tears of time

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Luis fate thinking about how one of the last things he ever saw was a FBI agent shooting popup pirates for like 3 hours trying to win keychains (one of which is himself)

I thought Leon belonged to a fictional agency. I always assumed it was part of the postal inspection service...

because their logo is a mailed fist! :v:

edit: ah gently caress me, they're a real thing. I just assumed they were fake because they have a page in the RE wiki, lol.

Randallteal fucked around with this message at 01:41 on Mar 30, 2023

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

I actually couldn't remember so just went with FBI :v:

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Chapter 15's end through Chapter 16 is kind of bad to me. Just many things that could have been a cutscene but are instead interactive.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Luis' new character grew on me throughout the game but man his conclusion is kind of half-assed.

Yeah he gets impaled in the original too but at least it was from Saddler and not just Krauser showing up two hours early to have a directionless knife fight with Leon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

i vomit kittens
Apr 25, 2019

NieR Occomata posted:

The first ticket becomes available either during or right after finishing Chapter 7, so there's at most one chapter in between getting the 30 spinels and being able to buy it.