Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

a medium-format picture of beeftweeter staring silently at the camera, a quizzical expression on his face
they are clearly trying to drive the cost down by reusing training material across model versions though

i wonder how often it gets updated actually, if at all? does old stuff get pulled, or does new stuff just get added?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
we're not talkin data collection, we are literally talking millions in compute from running gpu. both training and vicious inference costs

they scaled to 32k tokens by jacking up the O(n^2) token attention thing without algorithmic improvements, for example. you can tell this cuz they jacked up the price by O(n^2) lol

bob dobbs is dead fucked around with this message at 21:50 on Mar 30, 2023

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

pseudorandom name posted:

they don’t care, they’re venture capitalist scum and they’re gambling that it’ll work and they’ll get away with it and the profits will be astronomical

The only profitable use case for this tech is separating vcs from their money

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

i highly doubt any of the current models pays for their inference (use) cost, much less any other aspect of their development. but then the current applications are dumb tech demos.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
i would absolutely believe that openais compute bill is above a billion. maybe above a billion per quarter. so costs gotta be defrayed still.

amazon is brutally incompetent at this and theyre still prolly the ones who are gonna make all the money. and azure too ofc

bob dobbs is dead fucked around with this message at 22:15 on Mar 30, 2023

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

isn't it all custom chips now

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
yeah, rented asics

but they still fuckin cost

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
kid: mom i want some adidas
mom: we got adidas at home
adidas at home:

bob dobbs is dead posted:

yeah, rented asics

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
can you run LLMs on the “ML accelerator” that increasing numbers of cpus and socs come with these days

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
it is always straightforward to compress nets by 5 to 8 orders of magnitude as postprocessing step. it wrecks a lotta good stuff for the generative crap tho

same w attention crap. i know of like 4 O(n log n) scaling sparse attention dealios, they just dont use em cuz theyre all a bit crap

bob dobbs is dead fucked around with this message at 22:12 on Mar 30, 2023

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

i don't think asics and details of the raw compute matters that much for inference, in that i'd be kind of surprised if e.g. bing chat didn't do upwards of 1 terabyte worth of touches in very expensive memory per word of output.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

haveblue posted:

can you run LLMs on the “ML accelerator” that increasing numbers of cpus and socs come with these days

when i first got my new laptop that had one of those i was like "oh can i run dall-e on that, it'd be fun to run the bigger/better model locally just to play around with" and the answer at the time was "lol no"

i think they were working on it or something but idk i stopped caring around that point

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
its yak shaving, not fundamental problems

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

a medium-format picture of beeftweeter staring silently at the camera, a quizzical expression on his face

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

i don't think asics and details of the raw compute matters that much for inference, in that i'd be kind of surprised if e.g. bing chat didn't do upwards of 1 terabyte worth of touches in very expensive memory per word of output.

that's what i was thinking too but i don't know enough about how these work to say for sure. if it's essentially a fancy lookup routine it probably uses a ton of memory but i don't see why it would necessitate a lot of gpu compute, especially if we're talking text

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
its a buncha matrix multiplies that dominate

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

having been in professional services for the past decade+ it was probably once a year where i'd be working with a client who was trying to build some ai bullshit. every single one of them was a colossal waste of time and money that would have been saved if the brain genius behind it had just done some basic research on what the state of the art was actually capable of at the time

that being said

we've been internally testing a chat bot running gpt-4 that's just built to take customer questions about our stuff and give answers plus citations and i gotta say, it's pretty drat good. it's gotten a few wobbly responses but when it did it would then call out that our documentation was 'ambiguous' in the next sentence and in every case so far it's been because there was a gap in our documentation. as someone said earlier itt this is the area i could see this thing being really useful. it's not going to save us any money because we're a small company and can't afford to have someone sitting around answering these small questions however it WILL make the customer experience way better in both them being able to find answers more quickly and also helping us find gaps in our documentation

big companies that employ an army of tier 1 support are absolutely scheduling an appointment with their local slaughterhouse though

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
i cannot wait for these idiot things to be the only method of interaction with companies that refuse to staff a support line or email, and simply refer you to their absolutely useless faq for support

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

PIZZA.BAT posted:

having been in professional services for the past decade+ it was probably once a year where i'd be working with a client who was trying to build some ai bullshit. every single one of them was a colossal waste of time and money that would have been saved if the brain genius behind it had just done some basic research on what the state of the art was actually capable of at the time

that being said

we've been internally testing a chat bot running gpt-4 that's just built to take customer questions about our stuff and give answers plus citations and i gotta say, it's pretty drat good. it's gotten a few wobbly responses but when it did it would then call out that our documentation was 'ambiguous' in the next sentence and in every case so far it's been because there was a gap in our documentation. as someone said earlier itt this is the area i could see this thing being really useful. it's not going to save us any money because we're a small company and can't afford to have someone sitting around answering these small questions however it WILL make the customer experience way better in both them being able to find answers more quickly and also helping us find gaps in our documentation

big companies that employ an army of tier 1 support are absolutely scheduling an appointment with their local slaughterhouse though

someone is going to do this poo poo to your support AI and then follow that up by having sex with it:

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

the other real useful case is having something that can spit out a bunch of almost working code from a prompt. a friend and i were playing around with it a month ago and we had it write us a discord bot that could take requests for music to build a playlist and stream it to us from youtube. all we had to do was register and paste in some api keys and it worked fine

was it buggy? absolutely
will idiots use this and get themselves into tons of trouble because the ai makes really dumb mistakes? absolutely

however having something that can get you past all the dumb scaffolding bullshit and straight to the meat of what you want to build is really nice. i'll probably be using it any time i'm starting something from scratch

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

Shame Boy posted:

someone is going to do this poo poo to your support AI and then follow that up by having sex with it:

idgaf as long as they renew their contract next quarter :shrug:

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

hell, i feel like any time i encounter a GPT-driven chat bot a company has put in between me and an actual person i will immediately try to have sex with it, just on principle

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

ok but have you gotten nude tayne from it yet?

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

PIZZA.BAT posted:

the other real useful case is having something that can spit out a bunch of almost working code from a prompt. a friend and i were playing around with it a month ago and we had it write us a discord bot that could take requests for music to build a playlist and stream it to us from youtube. all we had to do was register and paste in some api keys and it worked fine

was it buggy? absolutely
will idiots use this and get themselves into tons of trouble because the ai makes really dumb mistakes? absolutely

however having something that can get you past all the dumb scaffolding bullshit and straight to the meat of what you want to build is really nice. i'll probably be using it any time i'm starting something from scratch

this is an amazing way to build trivial exploitable systems with slightly less effort than just bodging the top five results from stack overflow into your IDE and hitting compile

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

i dont understand the benefit of using chatgpt to write scaffolding over just forking the trivial example project or using existing generators, or copy-paste from the getting started docs, or wahtever. there's always something that basically does what you want that doesn't involve playing mother-may-i with knockoff eliza

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

Shame Boy posted:

hell, i feel like any time i encounter a GPT-driven chat bot a company has put in between me and an actual person i will immediately try to have sex with it, just on principle

:stare:

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

originally had :chloe: there but that implication is even worse

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

furries trying to gently caress tony the tiger got kelogg to seriously re-think their social media presence, i'm just applying that logic to everything :colbert:

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

Shame Boy posted:

furries trying to gently caress tony the tiger got kelogg to seriously re-think their social media presence, i'm just applying that logic to everything :colbert:

i mean, not sure "i'm gonna rape this thing to assert my dominance" is something you wanna be applying universally

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

Beeftweeter posted:

i mean, not sure "i'm gonna rape this thing to assert my dominance" is something you wanna be applying universally

whoa whoa whoa buddy, shame boy was talkin about _consensually_ fuckin' the cereal mascot and/or probability matrix

i hope

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

outright explicit sex is like the one thing Brands are still afraid of being associated with and you will not take this away from me dammit :argh:

Internet Janitor
May 17, 2008

"That isn't the appropriate trash receptacle."
i wonder what's going to happen to the lag time between "this cutting-edge llm runs on insanely expensive servers and must take place offsite" and "this llm has been crunched down to run on a current-gen apple silicon mac" over the next few years

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Achmed Jones posted:

whoa whoa whoa buddy, shame boy was talkin about _consensually_ fuckin' the cereal mascot and/or probability matrix

i hope

i personally would not gently caress the tony the tiger twitter account and you can quote me on that

the math robot, on the other hand,

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

Internet Janitor posted:

i wonder what's going to happen to the lag time between "this cutting-edge llm runs on insanely expensive servers and must take place offsite" and "this llm has been crunched down to run on a current-gen apple silicon mac" over the next few years

these things get a ton of press (whether its good or bad doesn't really matter), so i wouldn't be surprised if a lot of companies drop everything to start working on LLMs, apple included. meta and google already announced a bunch of poo poo of course but they're probably pouring resources into them now

mystes
May 31, 2006

Beeftweeter posted:

these things get a ton of press (whether its good or bad doesn't really matter), so i wouldn't be surprised if a lot of companies drop everything to start working on LLMs, apple included. meta and google already announced a bunch of poo poo of course but they're probably pouring resources into them now
good this will be an entertaining way for meta and google to waste a lot of money

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

Jonny 290 posted:

kid: mom i want some adidas
mom: we got adidas at home
adidas at home:
heh

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki

pseudorandom name posted:

massive intellectual property theft on an unprecedented scale

the ultimate goal is to be able to feed any copyrighted work into their LLM without permission the moment it is released and then be able to say “write me a novel in the style of Steven King” and own the copyright on the LLM and anything it produces

it really is balls that we live in a world where the courts determined that <10s samples were not fair use, kneecapping creativity in hip hop (unless you could afford an army of people just to determine rightsholders before you even drew up the contracts to pay them) but the AI mystery meat variety is okay because it'll be a good few decades before lawyers can even understand it, and even then it'll be nigh-impossible to prove infringement anyway

on the other hand, maybe at least it's a small "gently caress you" to the relentless extension of copyright by the american entertainment industry

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
the lawsuits are literally in court right now

who knows if they will hand down something not foolish but you cant pretend theyre not in court right now

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

don't tell me what i can and can't pretend bob

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

bob dobbs is dead posted:

the lawsuits are literally in court right now

who knows if they will hand down something not foolish but you cant pretend theyre not in court right now

It'll be interesting to see what the outcome is but I wouldn't be surprised if a set of neutral network weights qualifies as fair use, given that Google image search was fair use when its product actually contains the images in question.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

4lokos basilisk posted:

wait its possible to have a day job thats optimizing and getting rid of unnecessary cloud crap **and** it has management buy in?

i work at aws and even we advocate people do this