Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

That was the big reason we didn't play more. I think we all wanted to play Severed Dreams, but it would have taken many many nights, and then, when the result doesn't turn out right, it starts to interfere with your appreciation of the game. Or at least, having survived playing the FASA Star Trek game and then trying to make sense of future movie and TV battles relative to those rules, that's what I expect would have happened.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tyrel Lohr
Mar 1, 2007

No, sir, I don't care for Frungy.
We made some basic modifications to the rules to speed up play and were able to complete a 3.5k game in about 2.5 hours, which is a lot better than the 4 hours per game that was more typical for other groups.

You're definitely right that B5W had a scale problem in that you couldn't replicate most of the battles from the latter half of the series in the game due to time/space constraints. Especially if you were playing with miniatures and had to make room for all of them on the board. Although the biggest issue with the Severed Dreams battle is all of the fighters on the field (and how you want to handle the amazing disappearing Hyperions on the Clark/loyalist side).

At least with the 2E rules you'd be playing with fighters organized into flights of 6 fighters each, versus the 1E rules where every fighter was deployed and tracked individually. Oof.

That being said, I have seen a few players play 10-20k point battles in Fiery Void. But I think that is only really practical there because you don't have to worry about manually tracking and moving everything.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Tyrel Lohr posted:

That being said, I have seen a few players play 10-20k point battles in Fiery Void. But I think that is only really practical there because you don't have to worry about manually tracking and moving everything.

Yes, computer assistance can enable much larger games and speed them up tremendously as well as make it infinitely easier to pause and step away if you can't complete it in a single session. I wouldn't want to do more than about 3000 points by hand.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

I also kinda saw Delenn becoming more human-like coming. It's great because the actress who played Delenn was a very attractive lady.

I was not ready for Mira to be spoken of in past tense like this :cry:

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

I like your style hombre, but this is no laughing matter. Assault on a police officer. Theft of police property. Illegal possession of a firearm. FIVE counts of attempted murder. That comes to... 29 dollars and 40 cents. Cash, cheque, or credit card?

Torrannor posted:

I was not ready for Mira to be spoken of in past tense like this :cry:

Goddamn. I think I'd forgotten. It took me a moment, reading your post, to understand what was being said.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.
IMDb trivia led me to this outtake I'd never seen.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Narns and Noble LMAO

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

It's been linked in this thread before, but it is funny.

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

New one for me, squeeeee!!!!! :dance:

V-Men
Aug 15, 2001

Don't it make your dick bust concrete to be in the same room with two noble, selfless public servants.
Any new G'Kar / Londo moment that one has never experienced before is treasure.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

Doing a treadmill rewatch and by far the most unrealistic thing I've noticed is this marine still being willing to gently caress Garibaldi after seeing the Daffy Duck poster.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts fucked around with this message at 14:07 on Mar 31, 2023

The Chairman
Jun 30, 2003

But you forget, mon ami, that there is evil everywhere under the sun
at that point it's fine art, it's like loving under a classy Currier & Ives lithograph

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Chef Boyardeez Nuts posted:

Doing a treadmill rewatch and by far the most unrealistic thing I've noticed is this marine still being willing to gently caress Garibaldi after seeing the Daffy Duck poster.

Trust me. Marines will gently caress anything.

Dirty
Apr 8, 2003

Ceci n'est pas un fabricant de pates

Vavrek posted:

Goddamn. I think I'd forgotten. It took me a moment, reading your post, to understand what was being said.

A friend and I randomly decided to start a rewatch last night. We got to Soul Hunter, and Michael O'Hare, Jerry Doyle, Mira Furlann, Richard Biggs and W Morgan Sheppard were all in a scene together. Oof.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

The Chairman posted:

at that point it's fine art, it's like loving under a classy Currier & Ives lithograph

Since Babylon 5 is set around 320 years after the creation of Daffy Duck, it's more like having a poster of a 1710s pamphlet.

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm
It's just an image of his household god, I don't see the issue.

Clouseau
Aug 3, 2003

My theories appall you, my heresies outrage you, I never answer letters, and you don't like my tie.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts posted:

She's going to die soon and knows it, so she's willing to put aside a few red flags (cop, daffy duck, hair situation).

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Clouseau posted:

She's going to die soon and knows it, so she's willing to put aside a few red flags (cop, daffy duck, hair situation).

Have you seen the shirts he wears?

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

"Nothing a shitload of bleach won't fix"

Iron Crowned posted:

Have you seen the shirts he wears?

It was the 90's, we try not to talk about the fashion then. It's like swing dancing in it's own way, we all just pretend it didn't happen.

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

I like your style hombre, but this is no laughing matter. Assault on a police officer. Theft of police property. Illegal possession of a firearm. FIVE counts of attempted murder. That comes to... 29 dollars and 40 cents. Cash, cheque, or credit card?

Clouseau posted:

I really enjoy her second appearance, when she tries to explain: a horny redhead from the sprit world has come to you for one night of wild, consequence-free passion. This is literally the sort of thing myths are made of, and you're trying to place a telephone call.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

Sounds great, but first let me sit you down under the Daffy and get weepy about my last two relationships.

Gyrotica
Nov 26, 2012

Grafted to machines your builders did not understand.
I dunno. Verifiable proof of the afterlife means you and your wife will be there too, eventually....

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

SlothfulCobra posted:

Since Babylon 5 is set around 320 years after the creation of Daffy Duck, it's more like having a poster of a 1710s pamphlet.

This is already historic art:

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Nice to see that Tom has learned the lesson of Versailles.

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"Negotiations were going well. They were very impressed by my hat." -Issaries the Concilliator"
True. If you listed Imperialist shitheads that needed their teeth kicked in, there's going to be a long list:
America
UK
France (Temporarily got theirs kicked in by nazis, but got back to top again)
Italy
Soviet Union
Turkiya
Israel
Saudi-Arabia
Armenia
Azerbaijan
India
China

There's probably more poo poo head countries, please add your own.
I'm also ignoring South America and Africa here, because I'm not familiar enough with their poo poo heads.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Lemniscate Blue posted:

This is already historic art:

I can't separate this from J5A, the "That is treason Johnny" has a Zybourne Clock cadence

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

I'm worried Tom is so mad he's going to hate what happens with Londo and G'kar from here, which is my favorite part of the whole series.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Grand Fromage posted:

I'm worried Tom is so mad he's going to hate what happens with Londo and G'kar from here, which is my favorite part of the whole series.

He still gets catharsis of a sort with the fall of CP, but maybe he'll be confronted with the repercussions and change his mind about how much he wanted it

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude
I was going to write something about it too, but I realized that a lot of things about the show are due to it's rather limited cast. We never really get a good view into the inner workings of any of the major races outside of our POV characters. Like, for the Centauri, Londo and Vir are already against the Narn war and occupation. So with Refa and Carthagia gone, there is really no one else to show us what the so called comeuppance for the Centauri could look like, or better, the death of Carthagia must serve as symbol for a general changing of the guard on Centauri Prime. We can assume that there was a more severe political struggle behind the scenes, but sadly the show can't really show that. I also really liked what boofhead said. Even without the Shadows, Londo's promise is the only way for Narn's freedom at this moment.

ALso, lol, denazification was never real and it stopped the moment the Cold War became a thing.

e X fucked around with this message at 17:08 on Apr 1, 2023

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Watched Chrysalis tonight. Friend asked whether the "new Delenn" will move her forhead more lmfao

(He completely missed Mira Furlan's human arm during the flashforward from Babylon Squared and thinks the plot was just a complicated excuse for a recast.)

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'
I don't think Tom understands that there's no one who could hold the Centauri to account. They're the next oldest power after the Minbari and their technology is beyond Earth with gravity drives and such. There's no real galactic community until the formation of the ISA. The Minbari don't care, the Narn aren't strong enough, the EA is both, and the League is nothing to the Centauri. Heck, the 'galactic community' barely seems to believe in the Babylon Project itself.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Yea, I don't think the show is really trying to communicate some kind of moral stance with g'kar trying to be peacemaker. If it is, it's "When you use force to resist don't make it a pointless gesture that does nothing, wait until you can actually hit hard enough for it to matter".

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
This is my favorite song about denazification:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QEJ9HrZq7Ro

Clouseau
Aug 3, 2003

My theories appall you, my heresies outrage you, I never answer letters, and you don't like my tie.
I've been wondering here based off the excited posts in this thread and chatter I see on Twitter (and I myself run a "newbies watch B5 for the first time" podcast, Last Best Babylon 5) why Babylon 5 fans, even moreso than with a lot of other scifi show are super excited about the impressions of new viewers, and the general conclusion I reached is that unlike a lot of other franchises its just obscure enough that the large majority of people don't really know many of the big plot turns. I knew before I watched it for the first time years ago that the leads changed at the top of the second season, and that there was a generalized war plot that was similar in ways to DS9, and that people love the finale but not the final season, but not much else. If it was GOT or something, everyone knows most of the big spoilery things via cultural osmosis, and more obscure stuff generally never got to finish their story.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

That's part of it, you're getting completely unspoiled people watching it. But for me, my favorite thing is sharing a treat. Watching someone enjoy a new thing that I've loved for years is a real pleasure.

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Clouseau posted:

I've been wondering here based off the excited posts in this thread and chatter I see on Twitter (and I myself run a "newbies watch B5 for the first time" podcast, Last Best Babylon 5) why Babylon 5 fans, even moreso than with a lot of other scifi show are super excited about the impressions of new viewers, and the general conclusion I reached is that unlike a lot of other franchises its just obscure enough that the large majority of people don't really know many of the big plot turns. I knew before I watched it for the first time years ago that the leads changed at the top of the second season, and that there was a generalized war plot that was similar in ways to DS9, and that people love the finale but not the final season, but not much else. If it was GOT or something, everyone knows most of the big spoilery things via cultural osmosis, and more obscure stuff generally never got to finish their story.

Oh dear god.... i'm going to have to listen to all of this podcast now; clicks on The Gathering. :dance:

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Also B5 being so tightly plotted and having a few real solid twists/reveals, like all the Vorlon stuff, makes it entertaining to see new people encounter it.

Gee this Londo guy sure seems like a weird little buffoon, wonder if he'll do anything important.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

I'm getting a mite frustrated that I can't point out to Tom the small fundamental error that is misshaping his thinking, even though it's all been laid out for him right from the opening of the pilot, because it would give away too much. He's coming at the show in the mindset that it's the story of the Shadow War, but it isn't. It's the history of the dawn of the Third Age of Mankind. The Shadow War was pivotal in that, but it's only the backdrop.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Jedit posted:

I'm getting a mite frustrated that I can't point out to Tom the small fundamental error that is misshaping his thinking, even though it's all been laid out for him right from the opening of the pilot, because it would give away too much. He's coming at the show in the mindset that it's the story of the Shadow War, but it isn't. It's the history of the dawn of the Third Age of Mankind. The Shadow War was pivotal in that, but it's only the backdrop.

To be fair, a LOT of people made/make that same assumption. It's the conventional way to structure a show -- Deep Space Nine ended when the Dominion War did, to pick an example totally at random.

As I recall, my own reaction to Into The Fire was full of things like "You're SURE this isn't the series finale? Because it sure feels like it."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Powered Descent posted:

To be fair, a LOT of people made/make that same assumption. It's the conventional way to structure a show -- Deep Space Nine ended when the Dominion War did, to pick an example totally at random.

As I recall, my own reaction to Into The Fire was full of things like "You're SURE this isn't the series finale? Because it sure feels like it."

Yep, it would make a lot of sense to saw it off once the Shadow War ends. I'll be interested to see how he feels about what happens to Londo and the Centauri in season 5.