Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

Internetjack posted:

Friends and I got into free climbing back in high school. I have no recollection of why or how we started, but very soon we all had chalk bags and sneakers with a lot of rubber on the toes.

There was a state park that had half a dozen boulders, 20' in diameter and that is where we started. We'd climb all over those things like spiders. If you fell, and no ever did, it would only be about 5' - 10' drop onto soft forest duff. We learned a lot though, what we could do ourselves, and how to navigate a rock, picking out handholds and toeholds. And we learned to be patient and keep calm.

The park also featured a rock face, somewhere in the range of 60' - 80' tall.

After bouldering we'd head over to the face and watch any climbers that might be there. We'd sit and eat our lunches and just study the routes and the face. Most of the climbers were on a belay, but occasionally there'd be a free climber.

At about the third time of watching, one of my friends just stood and said, "I'm going up." Very much a double take of, "What? Right now?"

He started climbing, free style. Once he was about 15' up, being a dumb rear end teenager, I decided I had to go too. I took the second route. Our third friend, not to be out-done, was on the third route seconds later.

I've done a lot of stupid, life endangering stuff in my life. Hanging on the side of rock, 40' up is quite a self-lesson, in deciding that "I can do this". It's not curing cancer or surviving a war, but it does teach the lesson that you are the only one that can finish this. You have to keep climbing, there is no other option.

Needless to say, being a bunch of idiots, we went back quite a number of times.

One last story is the time we all came over the top and there were some guys prepping belay gear up there. We just crawled ourselves over the top edge and were laying on the ground laughing. These two guys were all stunned, "Where is your gear? Did you just free climb up?!?!" We just laughed harder.

lol. yeah when you're a kid you feel invincible. if i'd have started climbing when i was a teen i'd have probably done the same tbh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

Flowers for QAnon posted:

The county fair wouldn’t let me climb the rock wall with a prize at the top because my shoes were too good?? I wore them to prevent donkey & goat piss from reaching my mangled toes

lol wtf. were you wearing climbing shoes or?

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

Piss Creep posted:

We went up to Saint Peters Birch one day, its rated a 9, and we set up in a usual 5-4, long belay. And I remember coming off the first connection, something is wrong. And we made our way down maybe 14 or 15 link ins, and I remembered I had forgotten my lucky hat. And it was at that moment I fell, and I grabbed for Gregs legs, little did I know he hadn't clipped in yet,. We fell, I dunno, 10, 15 meters before it kicked in for me and he just kept going. When I got down, what did I see on his crumpled corpse. I forgot to put it in his grave.

cool approximation of a climbing experience but it's clear that tihs is ai generated or more probably from the mind of a mad man. stop posting itt :thanks:

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag
Nice op OP, I learned a lot about climbing. Sadly I’m too old and broken now to climb anything higher than big tiddies.

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

so many children growing up without a father due to rock climbing incidents, it ought to be outlawed

more widows for the rest of us i guess

WarpedLichen
Aug 14, 2008

Highball bouldering seems crazy dangerous for how common the routes are. I'm a climbing newbie so I stick to the gym but some people just don't seem to fear death or serious injury.

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

BAGS FLY AT NOON posted:

Nice op OP, I learned a lot about climbing. Sadly I’m too old and broken now to climb anything higher than big tiddies.

thanks brother :cheers: hella old guys out at the gym and crag tho, you're never too old imo

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

WarpedLichen posted:

Highball bouldering seems crazy dangerous for how common the routes are. I'm a climbing newbie so I stick to the gym but some people just don't seem to fear death or serious injury.

yeah no kidding. for the uninitiated, a highball boulder is a boulder that is very tall. recall that bouldering is done without a rope or harness. around here, niagara glen is a popular bouldering spot with some boulders that are 20+ feet tall. that's getting into free solo on a short route territory. falling 20 ft onto a crash pad is still gonna hurt and probably break or sprain something

Flowers for QAnon
May 20, 2019

hot cocoa on the couch posted:

lol wtf. were you wearing climbing shoes or?

Waterproof hiking shoes!

TrashMammal
Nov 10, 2022

For excellence in posting and clambering, I’m proud to present OP with this 100% authentic chunk of the Aggro Crag.

Congratulations OP, you earned it :colbert:

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010
What are the faux pas of the climbing gym? Like what kind of poo poo makes the vets grumble about the newbies?

Wee
Dec 16, 2022

by Fluffdaddy

Bad Purchase posted:

so many children growing up without a father due to rock climbing incidents, it ought to be outlawed

more widows for the rest of us i guess

Mothers dont let your babies grow up to be rock climbers.

When the person who wrote that song was killed live on TV they made the Cliff Hanger segment on Price is Right in their honor.

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

Devils Affricate posted:

What are the faux pas of the climbing gym? Like what kind of poo poo makes the vets grumble about the newbies?

climbing upside down for starters

also wearing huge stilts or inspector gadget arms

B-Rock452
Jan 6, 2005
:justflu:

Flowers for QAnon posted:

The county fair wouldn’t let me climb the rock wall with a prize at the top because my shoes were too good?? I wore them to prevent donkey & goat piss from reaching my mangled toes

I was with a bunch of climbers and we did one of those and all of us could get up in sneakers but after 3 guys in a row all won a hundred dollars the carney started screaming at us and then a dozen more Carney's surrounded us while my one friend screamed incoherently back that he wanted his 100 dollars and I legit don't know how I wasnt stabbed and then disappeared by them

Devils Affricate posted:

Advanced climbers usually just don't give a crap or will be cool and help you out if you are obviously new. It's the guys climbing for a whole year so they suddenly think they are hot poo poo and get to gatekeep the sport that are the assholes. Just avoid them

B-Rock452 fucked around with this message at 19:44 on Mar 31, 2023

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

Devils Affricate posted:

not being attentive to those around you, especially while bouldering. walking under someone climbing, climbing too close to someone else whose boulder overlaps yours, etc. it's annoying and also unsafe because you could collide. little kids do this all the time which is forgivable but adults should know better. typa people who lane change without a shoulder check

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

Bad Purchase posted:

climbing upside down for starters

this is called a bat hang. also going "feet first" on boulders is challenge mode or training

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

B-Rock452 posted:

I was with a bunch of climbers and we did one of those and all of us could get up in sneakers but after 3 guys in a row all won a hundred dollars the carney started screaming at us and then a dozen more Carney's surrounded us while my one friend screamed incoherently back that he wanted his 100 dollars and I legit don't know how I wasnt stabbed and then disappeared by them

lmao. reminds me of that nijna warrior ripoff show that was basically designed for rock climbers. the final challenege was literally a like 5.12 auto belay route. stalloens stupid rear end game show

B-Rock452 posted:

Advanced climbers usually just don't give a crap or will be cool and help you out if you are obviously new. It's the guys climbing for a whole year so they suddenly think they are hot poo poo and get to gatekeep the sport that are the assholes. Just avoid them

this is ultimately true though. again, climbers are very friendly and helpful and want everyone to feel good and have a good time. ime, anyway

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

Queuing a sticky to help this thread get more traction, I'm really excited to see how high it climbs (heh :hehe:)!

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

I'm bout to climb my rear end out of bed and make some breakfast sandwiches on my Hamilton Beach Double Breakfast Sandwich Maker

Anybody else climb anything lately

B-Rock452
Jan 6, 2005
:justflu:
I am too far to climb now so just living vicariously through others. I am taking my 5 year old daughter to the gym this month. She's crazy good at climbing around the house and she really wants to try it.

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

oh i forgot i made this thread

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

yeah so me and the team got out last week and scouted the local crags, rattlesnake point and mount nemo. kids had a blast exploring the bottom, we even got to see this awesome little spring where some snakes were hanging out. found a whole bunch of good looking routes i nthe guidebook and noted them. going back next friday when it's going to be a beautiful 23 degrees and we all took the day off work, gonna pull the kids out of school for that too. should be a good time, first outdoor expeirence!

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

i may have some pics of our outing but they're probably boring. when we climb we're gonna take hella pics obv and i'll share them here

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

put down the phone and live in the moment

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

Bad Purchase posted:

put down the phone and live in the moment

this.

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

I need to climb up on my roof this summer and install some heating wires, the ice dams were really bad this winter

Anybody got any recs on safety gear? It's a pretty steep climb

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Smugworth posted:

I need to climb up on my roof this summer and install some heating wires, the ice dams were really bad this winter

Anybody got any recs on safety gear? It's a pretty steep climb
I recommend doing a trip to your local Home Depot. The reps there always share the sickest of safety tips and gear.

If you're lucky, a trip to the REI might reveal a local Dads Union guy (khakis, Under Armor shirt) you can trade stories with.

If you're just starting out you can use fingerless posting gloves and a 15" Little Giant ladder to get your climbbing legs and improve your safegrip strength.

Remember to always have a wife or child around so you can tell them how dirty/steep the surface is. And to hold a beer.

Mr. Merdle
Oct 17, 2007

THE GREAT MANBABY SUCCESSOR

Smugworth posted:

I'm bout to climb my rear end out of bed and make some breakfast sandwiches on my Hamilton Beach Double Breakfast Sandwich Maker

Anybody else climb anything lately

I just climbed off of your mom

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

Mr. Merdle posted:

what kind of gear were you packin for that one?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

Mr. Merdle posted:

moderate crack climb, lots of exposure and run out. bring lots of options for protection