Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

HD DAD posted:

You joke, but Matalas said in an interview a bit ago that he tried really hard to work Naomi Wildman into this season, but couldn’t make it work.

lol oh god i can't i imagine how terrible that was if this is the stuff that he thought does work

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
Speaking of Matalas interviews, a new one just dropped where he has this to say about Vadic’s boss.

Collider Interview posted:

COLLIDER: Yeah, the boss. Yeah, her face boss.

MATALAS: Her face boss as we lovingly refer to. There's certainly a mystery there yet to be told.

COLLIDER: It's very creepy. That's the stuff of nightmares right there.

MATALAS: Your mother will be pleased with who that is.

So clearly it’s someone known.

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

I can see when you are lying.

HD DAD posted:

You joke, but Matalas said in an interview a bit ago that he tried really hard to work Naomi Wildman into this season, but couldn’t make it work.

Does he really think that all the poo poo like Moriarty or Mega-Data does work? I got news for ya, Terry, it wouldn't have made a difference either way.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

Gaz-L posted:

Yeah, Taear seems to be operating under the idea that the Changelings are like Jedi and if one dies, they psychically feel it, and I never got the sense that was the case. Drop and ocean and all that, but when the drop is not in the ocean, it doesn't have like homeopathic resonance or whatever. It's a separate being that could die and the ocean would never know until it was told. Like, it's not like they knew what happened to Odo until he came back.

No. The founders consider themselves gods. They also see every other founder as extremely precious and important. They drill this into us loads and loads. This even applies to Odo and other foundings.
9 founders who are just MISSING in the alpha quadrant would be a massive deal to them. How the hell did section 31 capture 9 founders?

The way Vadic acts though is like she is a foundling and not a founder. So why not tell us this? Why wouldn't she have memories of before if she was a founder?

It doesn't take much to explain it but the way it's left now is another example of them not having watched DS9 or understanding how things worked in it. It's not as ridiculous as how they treat the virus though

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

I can see when you are lying.

HD DAD posted:

quote:

MATALAS: Your mother will be pleased with who that is.

His mother would be pleased? What, is it the sex candle ghost?

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

HD DAD posted:

Speaking of Matalas interviews, a new one just dropped where he has this to say about Vadic’s boss.

i'm me?

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

HD DAD posted:

Holy poo poo it's Gul Dukat

Comedy option: it's the ooze monster that killed Tasha Yarr

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
I’m gonna call it - Face Boss is __Sela__. It just makes sense because they’re one of the few TNG villains that didn’t really get a conclusion. Also it’s a TNG reunion, and having Crosby pop up one last time sounds like something Matalas can’t resist. It would also tie into the Romulan plot from S1, and also didn’t Denise Crosby herself say Tasha gets a reference somehow this season?

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

HD DAD posted:

I’m gonna call it - Face Boss is __Sela__. It just makes sense because they’re one of the few TNG villains that didn’t really get a conclusion. Also it’s a TNG reunion, and having Crosby pop up one last time sounds like something Matalas can’t resist. It would also tie into the Romulan plot from S1, and also didn’t Denise Crosby herself say Tasha gets a reference somehow this season?

At least this would legit tie back to TNG

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN
its praetor tomalak the supernova really hosed him up

The Chairman
Jun 30, 2003

But you forget, mon ami, that there is evil everywhere under the sun
I'm still pretty confident it's DaiMon Bok

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
It's Joe Piscopo

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Taear posted:

No. The founders consider themselves gods. They also see every other founder as extremely precious and important. They drill this into us loads and loads. This even applies to Odo and other foundings.

Now that we know Vadic and her birds are actual Changelings, her killing one of her crew makes less than no sense.

When I thought they were solids who had been turned into Changelings, I could rationalise it away. But knowing they are capital F 'Founders' and how highly they revere themselves, no. It makes no goddamn sense.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
It being Sela would make sense (I don't see the point in spoiler-tagging speculation) in that the voice effect they're using is pitched pretty low in the classic 'lol, your internal bias made you think it was a guy!' trick that movies always do, so guessing it's a woman/femme-presenting person is pretty likely, and she'd be one of like 2 options that would make any sense.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Megillah Gorilla posted:

Now that we know Vadic and her birds are actual Changelings, her killing one of her crew makes less than no sense.

When I thought they were solids who had been turned into Changelings, I could rationalise it away. But knowing they are capital F 'Founders' and how highly they revere themselves, no. It makes no goddamn sense.

Maybe that one specific bird guy was a Breen intern

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Somehow, Tashar Yar returned.

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."
Gangster Planet villainy

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Megillah Gorilla posted:

BECAUSE SHE'S CRAAAAAAZY

serious answer: I've watched that scene multiple times and I still don't loving get it. Why does she shoot the other two Changelings?

Maybe they are Starfleet Security? Why would Starfleet security be okay with an Admiral being brutally interrogated in front of them?

TulliusCicero fucked around with this message at 17:47 on Apr 1, 2023

holefoods
Jan 10, 2022

HD DAD posted:

I don’t get why there seems to be so much Voyager reverence in nuTrek. Prodigy is practically Voyager 2 and the first season of Picard relied pretty heavily on Voyager plot threads. I was hoping for some DS9 follow up but uh..actually maybe they should stick with Voyager.

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."
Voyager stuff is easier to work in than DS9 because it's mostly enjoyable and the parts you pull out are sort of fluffy. DS9, I mean, here we are lol.

Also it's just a popular show.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
Plus Voyager was essentially just TNG seasons 8-14, just with a cheaper cast.

Eighties ZomCom
Sep 10, 2008

I'm surprised they just didn't make the bird people another race the Founders or the splinter group uplifted and programmed them to believe that the Founders were gods.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
From that same Collider interview, talking about the scene where Beverly and Picard just decide to be executioners:

quote:

MATALAS:
It's, without question, the scene that makes me the most uncomfortable in the episode and definitely the scene that I debated the most in the writers' room and the editing room. Probably all the way until air because it is the antithesis of everything that was in these characters from Star Trek: The Next Generation, which is what they vocalize in the scene, how we've become the opposite of what we were in the 1990s. And that is really scary because you know right away doing this scene that there's a large portion of fans that are immediately saying this is a character betrayal from the get-go.

However, we're telling a different kind of story here. And so, you have to ask yourself: in that moment, what would these characters really do? Would this be a question they would really ask? So in the writers' room, you have an actual debate, and when you have a unanimous agreement from everyone in the room who would have every perspective on it, that it's probably a good idea at this point to stop this, then maybe Picard and Beverly would feel the same as parents at this moment. But goddamn is it dark. And so, it's really– as a fan of Star Trek: The Next Generation, to me, it's a hard moment to watch your childhood heroes go through, but we're doing it.

So we'll see how fans react. But I'm definitely probably the most nervous about that moment of all.

“I’m still not crazy about the scene and we had a whole debate about how wrong it was for the characters in the writer’s room, but gently caress it we did it anyway.”

This writer’s room also apparently wrote the season under the incorrect assumption that Section 31 is a literal part of Starfleet Intelligence and that there was an actual vote on using the morphogenic virus which Picard may have been a part of.

quote:

MATALAS:
Well, Vadic is aware of a lot of their personal files, and to me, that felt like part of the infiltration within Starfleet probably accessed the files within Section 31. I mean, this is the episode where we really do focus on the fact that Section 31 is a nefarious aspect of Starfleet intelligence. This is not a good organization. We are really shining a light on war crimes, and that Vadic really is as much of a sympathetic villain as one could be in that regard. She has a definitive point of view that history is written by the victors, and we really asked ourselves how much was Picard aware of the fallout, the end of the Dominion War, and specifically, the morphogenic virus, and who voted to give it to the Changelings and who didn't?

Initially, there was an idea in the writers' room; was Picard part of that vote, and which way did he vote? Was he one of the holdouts, or did he vote for it? Because at what point did they need to end the war? Obviously, it felt like Picard would never vote for genocide. But again, it doesn't quite hold up because Section 31 seemed to be working independently. However, it seems like they had some authorization within Starfleet. It's sort of murky as to how much they were able to operate. Are they like Blackwater? How do they operate? So anyway, it was a really interesting discussion in the writers' room for us to explore that.

This is the problem with Disco and other new shows formalizing Section 31’s bullshit.

We’re told in DS9 that S31 is completely autonomous and rogue and has been for like 200 years. Occasionally members of Starfleet Command will work with them but for the most part they do their own thing. S31 created the virus independently. Bashir discovered the cure independently. The Federation Council did get involved and have a debate over giving the Founders the cure but we’re never told anything about a vote on using the virus itself.

And given how independent Sloane and his team seemed to be, I have a whole lot of trouble imagining them inviting random Captains at the time like Picard to sit at the table and debate genocide before making a decision on whether to use it.

It just seems like an insane writing stretch made purely so you’d have a flimsy excuse for a DS9 villain to be swearing revenge against a TNG character.

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Eighties ZomCom posted:

I'm surprised they just didn't make the bird people another race the Founders or the splinter group uplifted and programmed them to believe that the Founders were gods.

That would require watching DS9 and understanding the Dominion.

I agree though: uplifted modified servitor Chozo would make sense, and is a way better idea.

TulliusCicero fucked around with this message at 18:11 on Apr 1, 2023

My Second Re-Reg
Aug 31, 2021

Come on down.
Let's make a deal.
Somebody else in the thread mentioned it at the time, but I still really want to know what was up with Riker's "how much of that goo did they pour into you" line. When they showed Vadic in the flashbacks, the framing at the time made me feel like she was actually consuming or somehow otherwise absorbing/over-writing the doctor. But then they cleared that concept away with a weird, quick expositional aside from Picard.

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Picard was a loving Captain stationed mostly in Romulan/ Klingon space during the Dominion War, how the hell would he even vote on the Council?

Terry did you even watch the shows you worked on?

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

I don't really buy that Sloane and a handful of pals came up with a virus so potent that the Dominion couldn't cure it, or successfully installed an agent into the Romulan Senate. The top bits of Starfleet Command know they exist and if we assume there is no formal support structure then the only plausible way they can operate is if they have warrants that let them commandeer any bit of Starfleet they want at any time, no questions asked.

Also I think it undermines the thematic point of Section 31 if they are completely independent. The point is that our heroes have to confront the idea that the Federation is willing to turn a blind eye/be complicit in its agents getting their hands incredibly dirty when things get tough.

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

The big bad is obviously Sela, Bok, and Dukat all frankensteined together

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Alchenar posted:

I don't really buy that Sloane and a handful of pals came up with a virus so potent that the Dominion couldn't cure it, or successfully installed an agent into the Romulan Senate. The top bits of Starfleet Command know they exist and if we assume there is no formal support structure then the only plausible way they can operate is if they have warrants that let them commandeer any bit of Starfleet they want at any time, no questions asked.

Also I think it undermines the thematic point of Section 31 if they are completely independent. The point is that our heroes have to confront the idea that the Federation is willing to turn a blind eye/be complicit in its agents getting their hands incredibly dirty when things get tough.

Even with all this in mind, the idea that Picard and other captains would have even been privy to a potential debate about whether to use the virus, and thus partly at fault for Vadic’s past, is both insane and a flat out incorrect reading of what we’re told about Section 31 in DS9.

CaptainSkinny
Apr 22, 2011

You get it?
No.

Big bad is obviously Odo because they hate us.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

The big bad is Lwaxana Troi. This whole thing was just an excuse to kidnap Deanna and spend a little quality time, since she doesn't call her mother enough.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Even with all this in mind, the idea that Picard and other captains would have even been privy to a potential debate about whether to use the virus, and thus partly at fault for Vadic’s past, is both insane and a flat out incorrect reading of what we’re told about Section 31 in DS9.

It's also falling very much into that trap of Picard being as important in the world of Trek as he is to us as viewers. Like, yes, he does very heroic things, but he's not Important in the sense of having a voice on the Fed council or whatever. It feels like the "and then the protagonist hits the baseball into the basket to score the winning touchdown, checkmate!" kind of writing where someone doesn't know how a military structure works and assumes everyone else knows as little as they do.

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob

Powered Descent posted:

The big bad is Lwaxana Troi. This whole thing was just an excuse to kidnap Deanna and spend a little quality time, since she doesn't call her mother enough.

Side note: I am reading Q in Law as someone in the thread suggested and some aliens turn up and make fun of Wesley for being a virgin. Then a slave girl shows up naked in his quarters and an ensign makes fun of Wesley for not sleeping with her. It’s presumed Chief O’Brien gave her access to his quarters, as a joke. Not sure how the Q/Lwaxana relationship goes, it’s not exactly a pageturner.

Does Wesley finally have sex? I will find out.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

angerbeet posted:

Side note: I am reading Q in Law as someone in the thread suggested and some aliens turn up and make fun of Wesley for being a virgin. Then a slave girl shows up naked in his quarters and an ensign makes fun of Wesley for not sleeping with her. It’s presumed Chief O’Brien gave her access to his quarters, as a joke. Not sure how the Q/Lwaxana relationship goes, it’s not exactly a pageturner.

Does Wesley finally have sex? I will find out.

Ah, the inspiration for the engineer from Lower Decks.

Eighties ZomCom
Sep 10, 2008

Gaz-L posted:

It's also falling very much into that trap of Picard being as important in the world of Trek as he is to us as viewers. Like, yes, he does very heroic things, but he's not Important in the sense of having a voice on the Fed council or whatever. It feels like the "and then the protagonist hits the baseball into the basket to score the winning touchdown, checkmate!" kind of writing where someone doesn't know how a military structure works and assumes everyone else knows as little as they do.

It also contradicts what we saw in season one of Picard, where he give the council an ultimatum where they either help the Romulan refugees or he quits Starfleet and they're like, :byewhore:

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Eighties ZomCom posted:

It also contradicts what we saw in season one of Picard, where he give the council an ultimatum where they either help the Romulan refugees or he quits Starfleet and they're like, :byewhore:

And he was an admiral then! So you can at least argue he had more political clout!

gently caress that interview makes Matalas seem stupid. Like, fine, you wanna do the Bev/Picard scene where they debate killing Vadic and decide to do so as parents. It's very against both their characters, but I can at least see what you're trying to get at. But that falls apart if Picard was complicit in trying to genocide the Founders because it's not betraying his principles then! (And yes, while the implication was that it hadn't killed any yet, it was definitely intended to be fatal)

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

Big Mean Jerk posted:

From that same Collider interview, talking about the scene where Beverly and Picard just decide to be executioners:

“I’m still not crazy about the scene and we had a whole debate about how wrong it was for the characters in the writer’s room, but gently caress it we did it anyway.”

This writer’s room also apparently wrote the season under the incorrect assumption that Section 31 is a literal part of Starfleet Intelligence and that there was an actual vote on using the morphogenic virus which Picard may have been a part of.

This is the problem with Disco and other new shows formalizing Section 31’s bullshit.

We’re told in DS9 that S31 is completely autonomous and rogue and has been for like 200 years. Occasionally members of Starfleet Command will work with them but for the most part they do their own thing. S31 created the virus independently. Bashir discovered the cure independently. The Federation Council did get involved and have a debate over giving the Founders the cure but we’re never told anything about a vote on using the virus itself.

And given how independent Sloane and his team seemed to be, I have a whole lot of trouble imagining them inviting random Captains at the time like Picard to sit at the table and debate genocide before making a decision on whether to use it.

It just seems like an insane writing stretch made purely so you’d have a flimsy excuse for a DS9 villain to be swearing revenge against a TNG character.

i hate that he keeps falling back on the conceit that "it's a different kind of story"

even if that were true the nostalgic bullshit is cranked to 11. it's not trying to be different until suddenly it is, but only when it matters

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

sounds like "Picard and Beverly are very smart people, almost as smart as me, so it'd make sense that they'd agree with me after putting their heads together and talking it over amongst themselves"

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN
"a bunch of high ranking officers all got together in a room and voted for genocide" is really something lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Gaz-L posted:

gently caress that interview makes Matalas seem stupid.

Every interview Matalas as done for this show makes him seem profoundly stupid though...