Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

Ensign, raise the beariscope.

I AM GRANDO posted:

Novel Keys has a sale through Monday for like 30-50% off a lot of keycap sets. Are they any good? I have no idea what separates a $30 set from a $100 set.

Plastic material, thickness, how the legends are printed,and hype. Mostly the latter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

biceps crimes
Apr 12, 2008

Rexxed posted:

The good news is that you have too much choice. You just want a full size keyboard with blue switches.
mechanicalkeyboards.com is a keyboard seller that has a storefront that lets you sort by different categories, so here's their MX Blue swtich keyboards listed by most expensive first. You'll need to page through a bit since they don't seem to offer a way to filter keyboard size and also switch type at the same time, but it might be helpful. Don't get too hung up over price, there's a lot of Ducky keyboards in the $100 range and they're pretty good:
https://mechanicalkeyboards.com/shop/index.php?l=product_list&c=12&sortby=price:desc

I'd also look at this Leopold since they were kind of a classic choice:
https://mechanicalkeyboards.com/shop/index.php?l=product_detail&p=4246

Amazon's good to browse, too:
https://www.amazon.com/s?k=mx+blue+full+size+keyboard

I'd consider a Filco since they're a good old school manufacturer as well (Cooler Master used their OEM for its first few years and my CM Storm quickfire rapid with mx greens has been my daily driver for ~9 years):
https://www.amazon.com/FILCO-Majestouch-Double-Mechanical-Keyboard/dp/B0BBV4RRYC/

I've got a couple of DURGOD keyboards that have been good for a few years:
https://www.amazon.com/DURGOD-Mechanical-Keyboard-Interface-Grey%EF%BC%8CANSI/dp/B07N19Y4HL/

I've never been a huge fan of Das keyboards but they have a model 6 out for $200 which is similar to your old one but with backlighting and media keys and a knob for volume:
https://www.amazon.com/Das-Keyboard-Professional-Backlit-Mechanical/dp/B0BF5TPNXK/

went down a rabbit hole after this post and ended up ordering DURGOD with silent reds instead of blues. Will report back later after I've used it for a bit

EVIL Gibson
Mar 23, 2001

Internet of Things is just someone else's computer that people can't help attaching cameras and door locks to!
:vapes:
Switchblade Switcharoo

biceps crimes posted:

went down a rabbit hole after this post and ended up ordering DURGOD with silent reds instead of blues. Will report back later after I've used it for a bit

I would get a keyswitch sample set. It helps a lot with the feel and when the switch has you feel the throw or not (no throw on the reds for example)

I found that I love browns because it doesn't take much pressure to press but, more importantly, I can feel it when it throws. It was weird for me when I type with reds.

I made my own keyboard with all browns except for WASD and QE which I replaced with reds.

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

biceps crimes posted:

I will say I started with blues, went to browns and now will type only on boba u4t’s (with 62 gram springs). I have tried many linear switches, and can’t stand them. Need the bump.

My recommendation would have been full sized keychron/hot swap ducky from Amazon mechanical keyboards, and at least try out some brown/ boba.

I did have a Durgod with the browns that I typed on for a year and I did really like it though! Good brand choice

biceps crimes
Apr 12, 2008

To provide a little more context, I do have a key sampler of cherry mx switches, though it is from 2014. There's a red, blue, clear? and brown switch on the board. I've also used a keyboard with reds before, but it was a coworker's from years ago and it was only for one session. The blues are satisfying to me for their feedback, but they can be a little finicky when I'm gaming and needing to rapidly mash a key. This is a low stakes purchase, since I'm expensing it and can return it if I hate, so I'll report back. The silent reds piqued my curiosity, as it would be nice to use my PC while my partner is sleeping and not have them awaken from the symphony of clacks echoing down the hall. Browns seemed like a decent compromise between the two, so it's likely I'll land there if I hate the reds for some reason, though I don't think that'll be a problem, it'll just be an adjustment.

Gearman
Dec 6, 2011

biceps crimes posted:

To provide a little more context, I do have a key sampler of cherry mx switches, though it is from 2014. There's a red, blue, clear? and brown switch on the board. I've also used a keyboard with reds before, but it was a coworker's from years ago and it was only for one session. The blues are satisfying to me for their feedback, but they can be a little finicky when I'm gaming and needing to rapidly mash a key. This is a low stakes purchase, since I'm expensing it and can return it if I hate, so I'll report back. The silent reds piqued my curiosity, as it would be nice to use my PC while my partner is sleeping and not have them awaken from the symphony of clacks echoing down the hall. Browns seemed like a decent compromise between the two, so it's likely I'll land there if I hate the reds for some reason, though I don't think that'll be a problem, it'll just be an adjustment.

If you end up not liking it, I'd highly recommend getting a hotswap board and putting Boba U4s (not U4Ts) in it. You'll still have strong tactility, similar but not quite as strong as the blues you're used to, while being very quiet as well. They're an all-around great switch that pretty much gives you everything you're looking for.

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU
Request:
Are there any thread-recommended standalone media control devices?

Detail:
I have a friend that has been agonizing about keyboards for awhile - in theory, all her requests are very easy to source several excellent keyboards for, until we get to the "and it also has media keys like my old one".

While visiting me over the weekend, she saw me adjust the PC volume with the little controller that is wired into the PC speaker system and mistakenly thought it was a standalone media controller device.

This got me thinking, though - surely there have to be some standalone media controller devices out there, similar to the standalone number pads.

Her old keyboard (Corsair K68) seemed to have the following media functions:
• Volume Control
• Mute
• Play/Pause
• Stop
• Next
• Previous
• Compatible with both Mac and Windows (Mac being the more important requirement here if we only get one or the other)

I recall seeing goons posting DIY projects related to media controllers; are there any off-the-shelf options that the thread would recommend?

It seems like "wireless" might be a nice-to-have, but not a strongly desired one so we can include that as a tie-breaker I suppose.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

gmk67, milky yellow switches and a jaycomia capset. I turned the light off and figured out BT after I took this photo.

might lube the switches idk. It sounds great as is.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Zarin posted:

Request:

Detail:
I have a friend that has been agonizing about keyboards for awhile - in theory, all her requests are very easy to source several excellent keyboards for, until we get to the "and it also has media keys like my old one".

While visiting me over the weekend, she saw me adjust the PC volume with the little controller that is wired into the PC speaker system and mistakenly thought it was a standalone media controller device.

This got me thinking, though - surely there have to be some standalone media controller devices out there, similar to the standalone number pads.

• Volume Control
• Mute
• Play/Pause
• Stop
• Next
• Previous
• Compatible with both Mac and Windows (Mac being the more important requirement here if we only get one or the other)

I recall seeing goons posting DIY projects related to media controllers; are there any off-the-shelf options that the thread would recommend?

It seems like "wireless" might be a nice-to-have, but not a strongly desired one so we can include that as a tie-breaker I suppose.

I don't have a specific one to recommend but there's a ton of knob based multimedia controllers like you're describing:
https://www.amazon.com/s?k=media+control+knob+pc

Most of them just send standard USB HID codes for the multimedia functions so they tend to work with almost everything.

Wizard of the Deep
Sep 25, 2005

Another productive workday

Zarin posted:

Request:

Detail:

• Volume Control
• Mute
• Play/Pause
• Stop
• Next
• Previous

I've got a couple of the DOIO Megalodon macropads, and it sounds like that fits the bill. Drop has them in stock too.

They're all reprogrammable with VIA, and I assume they'll work the same way on a Mac, but I've never tried.

Really the biggest "problem" at that point is finding some good keycap that'll do what you want. Maybe some nice relegendable?

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Zarin posted:

Request:

Detail:

• Volume Control
• Mute
• Play/Pause
• Stop
• Next
• Previous

ROYAL KLUDGE RK838 has:

• Volume Control (no mute)
• Play/Pause
• Stop
• Next
• Previous
• Compatible with both Mac and Windows

...buuut according to a review the Volume Control doesn't work on Mac unless you also have bluetooth headphones connected? Weird bug. It's too bad as it otherwise looks like a good base to start from, nice rounded design, just replace the keycaps really:

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

you're a rank coward if you don't get the MORE PINKER version btw

smooth jazz
May 13, 2010

Got my Wind X98. First group buy.
Love it, just oozes quality. Needed no modding, even the stabs were tuned and lubed.

Cream Soda switches and GMK Yuris.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

well why not posted:

gmk67, milky yellow switches and a jaycomia capset. I turned the light off and figured out BT after I took this photo.

might lube the switches idk. It sounds great as is.

What's that knob for? Arkanoid?

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

I use it for dialing.

The KB is amazing, it sounds so good, kinda rainy and deep. A little clacky on the larger keys but I’ll likely lube them up or replace the stabilisers at some point. I’m so pleased that it not only feels great, but sounds and looks perfect. It’s already my favourite ever keyboard after half a day.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

GMK Nords are reportedly shipping now.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

Well, my massdrop CTRL has finally developed the freezing/input repeat issue they apparently all do, and it's way out of warranty, so gently caress drop forever.

What's the new hotness in aluminum case'd TKLs? It can be barebones or with mx red/black (or equivalent) and should feel like I can beat a man to death with it

mewse
May 2, 2006

Deviant posted:

Well, my massdrop CTRL has finally developed the freezing/input repeat issue they apparently all do, and it's way out of warranty, so gently caress drop forever.

What's the new hotness in aluminum case'd TKLs? It can be barebones or with mx red/black (or equivalent) and should feel like I can beat a man to death with it

I think GMMK pro showed up and got big hype and then got less high profile clones. I don't follow TKLs very closely. There's probably a keychron

Wizard of the Deep
Sep 25, 2005

Another productive workday

Deviant posted:

My NovelKeys NK87 is sharp and heavy. The current in-stock selection isn't great, but I can vouch for the device itself. The Cosmic Purple is a subtle and muted in real life, but in a good way.

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

Deviant posted:

Massdrop is a lovely company that has bad PCB's.

Keychron I don't trust from Keychron. I've also never heard a Keychron that sounds... good? GMMK I don't know if they have TKL, but their 75 pro is... fine. It's not as good as some, and it's overpriced these days with zoom 75 out there, but it's fine. Also, the best low end of the high-end but basically end game 75 (Mode Sonnet) is in stock and ships within a week (though parts are out of stock and get re stocked about once a month) and I think is better than any of the options I'm posting, but just thought I'd throw it out there, since I haven't heard a board that sounds better until you get into the $700-$1000 dollar range.

But to answer your actual question.

Your options for good Aluminum TKL right now in stock include these.

https://cannonkeys.com/products/devastatingtkl-keyboard?variant=40873747480687

https://novelkeys.com/products/nk87-olive-edition?_pos=1&_sid=1d25b5570&_ss=r

Edit. Looks like some of the higher end boards and recommended boards (Tiger 80) are out of stock. But those two are, and are Aluminum.

For prebuilt Aluminum, there's also

https://www.amazon.com/DURGOD-Mecha...WNrPXRydWU&th=1

LionArcher fucked around with this message at 20:00 on Apr 4, 2023

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

mewse posted:

I think GMMK pro showed up and got big hype and then got less high profile clones. I don't follow TKLs very closely. There's probably a keychron

I actually have a GMMK pro with a swapped plate and redone stabilizers. I just don't like the form factor and the pgup cluster. It's for sale!

The NK87 looks good though. Barebones is fine as I'm lousy with switches and keycaps, but i'm not doing any soldering.

Maybe I'll give the GMMK another chance.

Alternately, is there a pre-made PCB i can swap into my Drop CTRL? I love the case but the board/software has issues.

Deviant fucked around with this message at 20:04 on Apr 4, 2023

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006
I finally, finally broke down and order a Mode Sonnet but it’s on back order for a month while I wait for black bottoms (that they oversold) to come back in stock :negative:

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

Ben Nerevarine posted:

I finally, finally broke down and order a Mode Sonnet but it’s on back order for a month while I wait for black bottoms (that they oversold) to come back in stock :negative:

Hell, a month is practically just a long shipping time these days. What top color did you go with? And I honestly can say I've typed and listened to a lot of keyboards, and this one is easily my favorite. It's my endgame till they come out with a Sonnet 2, and next month I'll probably be picking up a second one (or at least some extra PCB's and another top color or two).

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008

LionArcher posted:

Your options for good Aluminum TKL right now in stock include these.

https://cannonkeys.com/products/devastatingtkl-keyboard?variant=40873747480687

https://novelkeys.com/products/nk87-olive-edition?_pos=1&_sid=1d25b5570&_ss=r

Edit. Looks like some of the higher end boards and recommended boards (Tiger 80) are out of stock. But those two are, and are Aluminum.

For prebuilt Aluminum, there's also

https://www.amazon.com/DURGOD-Mecha...WNrPXRydWU&th=1

The Devastating TKL is a solder board. Not sure if that's an issue.

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006

LionArcher posted:

Hell, a month is practically just a long shipping time these days. What top color did you go with? And I honestly can say I've typed and listened to a lot of keyboards, and this one is easily my favorite. It's my endgame till they come out with a Sonnet 2, and next month I'll probably be picking up a second one (or at least some extra PCB's and another top color or two).

I actually doubled up on tops, white and black, to give myself that flexibility, and the option of springing for an extra PCB+bottom if I end up liking it. I have high hopes for this one. I’m probably going to order a couple extra accents too now that they just did a restock on them. Good to hear it’s everything it’s cracked up to be!

A month isn’t all that long in the grand scheme, but I’m also not someone who’s gotten in on a GB and had to go through that ordeal

Llamadeus
Dec 20, 2005

Deviant posted:

Here's one more hotswap alu TKL option: https://keebsforall.com/products/freebird-tkl

sterster
Jun 19, 2006
nothing
Fun Shoe

mewse posted:

There is currently a sale on KeyChron right now for the Anniversary.
Currently you can get an Aluminum Frame non backlit, hot swappable board for $60. Sale only last till 7th

death cob for cutie
Dec 30, 2006

dwarves won't delve no more
too much splatting down on Zot:4

Llamadeus posted:

Here's one more hotswap alu TKL option: https://keebsforall.com/products/freebird-tkl

So I poked around on that site and, https://keebsforall.com/collections/new-retro-66/products/new-retro-66-by-deadline-studio

Oh I want it bad

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

MY CONTEMPT FOR MY OWN EMPLOYEES IS ONLY MATCHED BY MY LOVE FOR TOM BRADY'S SWEATY MAGA BALLS

Ben Nerevarine posted:

Mode makes such incredibly good stuff. I have a 65 and I’m genuinely thinking about ordering an Envoy even though they’re basically the same board.

biceps crimes
Apr 12, 2008

I've spent the past few days with my new keyboard and I really like it. Wasn't sure how I'd feel about the cherry mx silent reds, but I can now use my keyboard now at night without waking everyone in the house up. The keys bottoming out has this rubbery springy feeling that I find satisfying. Form factor wise, I'm impressed with how much less space this DURGOD takes up, despite having the same number of keys in the same positions. And the keycaps feel nice. I've probably spent 30 hours on it total so far between programming and gaming, so we'll see how I feel after a longer duration spent with it, but I'm happy so far.

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

The dialectical struggle of history has always, essentially, been a question of how to apply justice to matter. Take away matter and what remains is justice.
Hello goons, would it be gauche to ask for some recommendations?

A few months ago, I bought a Logitech G613 and while it's nice, I found out today that there really aren't any replacement keycaps if I want it to look a bit more colorful.

I'm going to be using this keyboard for both gaming and for work, so I think I want a Cherry MX Brown switches, although I'm a dumbo when it comes to this stuff, so I'd be open to other suggestions.

I'd like a full keyboard with volume controls. Wireless would be nice, but I'm not wedded to the idea. I'd also like easy options for replacement keycaps, and maybe LED illumination of some kind for typing in the dark like a goon. I'm willing to drop up to $250, if I can be pretty sure it's a keeper.

Any advice would be appreciated. Keep in mind I am an enormous idiot.

e: if it matters I'd like something that has the trans pride flag colors, light blue, pink, and white

tokin opposition fucked around with this message at 00:58 on Apr 14, 2023

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

a keychron K4 can be wireless and come with gateron browns, for pretty cheap! K10 or a Q6 are full size, but unfortunately there's not a lot of colour choices. Keycaps could make it work.

If wireless isn't that important for you, Ducky do a lot of colourful boards out of the box, like this thing:

https://www.duckychannel.com.tw/en/Ducky-One3-GossamerPink
or
https://www.duckychannel.com.tw/en/One3-RGB-White

A few pale or white blue caps would get this looking extremely prideful quickly.

As for volume / media controls, what exactly do you want? A lot of people just use a key combo, like fn+8 or something to play / pause. My (pretty custom) board has a knob but no play/pause, so i swapped on a "pause" cap to pagedn and mapped it to play/pause, for example.

well why not fucked around with this message at 02:16 on Apr 14, 2023

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

The dialectical struggle of history has always, essentially, been a question of how to apply justice to matter. Take away matter and what remains is justice.

well why not posted:

a keychron K4 can be wireless and come with gateron browns, for pretty cheap! K10 or a Q6 are full size, but unfortunately there's not a lot of colour choices. Keycaps could make it work.

If wireless isn't that important for you, Ducky do a lot of colourful boards out of the box, like this thing:

https://www.duckychannel.com.tw/en/Ducky-One3-GossamerPink
or
https://www.duckychannel.com.tw/en/One3-RGB-White

A few pale or white blue caps would get this looking extremely prideful quickly.

As for volume / media controls, what exactly do you want? A lot of people just use a key combo, like fn+8 or something to play / pause. My (pretty custom) board has a knob but no play/pause, so i swapped on a "pause" cap to pagedn and mapped it to play/pause, for example.

Thank you, I'll take a look at these! One question, the K10 says

quote:

OSA Profile Double-shot PBT Keycaps

To further fine-tune your typing experience, the K10 Pro comes with our unique OSA profile (OEM profile with spherical-angle) and double-shot PBT keycaps that aim to provide a more comfortable fingertip feel with excellent oil resistance for long-term use on the full-size layout.

Does this mean it won't work with generic keycaps or am I misunderstanding something?

For media, all I really care about is something quick and easy to change the volume if I'm in a fullscreen game or a work meeting or something.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
Yeah Keychron layouts are weird and you won't be able to use standard keycap sets on them.

As always, if you're going to buy a Keychron do it through Amazon, the company is actively hostile to customers seeking any kind of after-sale service.

Gearman
Dec 6, 2011

Eric the Mauve posted:

Yeah Keychron layouts are weird and you won't be able to use standard keycap sets on them.

As always, if you're going to buy a Keychron do it through Amazon, the company is actively hostile to customers seeking any kind of after-sale service.

I would disagree with the first part. You SHOULD be able to use standard keycap sets on Keychrons. By standard, I mean the usual kits that you find on typical keyboard vendor websites like: Cannonkeys.com, Novelkeys.com, KBDFans, etc. Whereas keyboards from places like Logitech and Razer can have nonstandard bottom rows that pretty much lock you in to using only their keycap sets (though more recently they've started to adopt "standard" layouts).

Definitely agree on the Amazon part.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

the K series do have the caveat of having north facing switches, which can cause problems with cherry profile keycaps

Nestharken
Mar 23, 2006

The bird of Hermes is my name, eating my wings to make me tame.
The K7 also has offset stems for the stabilizers, like this, so you'll need caps with the same offset--Azio makes the only ones I was able to find, and I never actually ordered a set, so I can't confirm that they have the *correct* offset. The K7 Pro doesn't have that offset, IIRC.

Gearman
Dec 6, 2011

I generally recommend replacing the stabilizers with Kailh Choc stabilizers. They are significantly better.

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006

tokin opposition posted:

Does this mean it won't work with generic keycaps or am I misunderstanding something?

That’s pointing out profile which is just the shape (Google for “keycap profile” to see comparison shots) and PBT is the material (usually considered an upgrade over the other common material, ABS)

Not sure what “weird layouts” above is referring to—maybe there are some Keychron models with weird layouts but my full-size Q6 is bog standard. I’ve tried a few different sets of keycaps and never ran into issues. The product page for each model on Keychron’s site should point out any non-standard keys (pay attention especially to spacebar widths).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

it's mainly an issue with compressed layouts like this, you need a non-standard right shift, 1u keys to the right of the spacebar, and if the keycap profile has different shapes for each row you need nav cluster and delete keys for those rows

keycap sets aimed at enthusiasts will nearly always have these non standard keys, but very cheap sets might not do