Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mystes
May 31, 2006

OldAlias posted:

Apple Watch is useful here as it buzzes your wrist for turns and the like
I have a dumb android watch and I don't think you can turn off the wrist vibrating for turns (maybe there's a way idk) and I hate that so much I have to take the watch off when I drive

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome
i find navigation with apple maps to be way more annoying than the goog navigator in this way

like with goog i get "turn right in 3 miles ... turn right in 300 feet ... turn right"

with apple i get "turn right in 3 miles ... turn right in two miles ... turn right in one mile ... turn right in a quarter mile ... turn right in 100 feet ... turn right"

but with goog i get "turn right at the starbucks" and i Will Not Have It so i suffer with apple

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

mystes posted:

I have a dumb android watch and I don't think you can turn off the wrist vibrating for turns (maybe there's a way idk) and I hate that so much I have to take the watch off when I drive

wear two watches so it can vibrate one or the other to tell you which way to turn

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

apple maps is 100% garbage here. which in some ways completes the bing comparison, because that too is at least somewhat usable for things in the anglosphere.

annoying, because i have absolutely no love for google maps, it was basically magic in 2009, but has mostly deteriorated since.

e: in happy times openstreetmap is awesome in my local area, so i actually dip into that a fair bit when the details matter.

mystes
May 31, 2006

rotor posted:

wear two watches so it can vibrate one or the other to tell you which way to turn
Why don't you add a rumble pack to the steering wheel too while you're at it you monster

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
I've heard (and felt) that the watch vibrates differently depending on which way the turn is supposed to go... I'm too much of a dummy to know which is which though.

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

mystes posted:

Why don't you add a rumble pack to the steering wheel too while you're at it you monster

gladys, get me ferdinand porsche on the line asap

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Hed posted:

I've heard (and felt) that the watch vibrates differently depending on which way the turn is supposed to go... I'm too much of a dummy to know which is which though.

quote:

Listen for directions: After you head off on your first leg, your Apple Watch uses sounds and taps to let you know when to turn. A low tone followed by a high tone (tock tick, tock tick) means turn right at the intersection you’re approaching; a high tone followed by a low tone (tick tock, tick tock) means turn left. Not sure what your destination looks like? You’ll feel a vibration when you’re on the last leg, and again when you arrive.

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

Wanna run with my crew huh? Rule cyberspace and crunch numbers like I do?

rotor posted:

with apple i get "turn right in 3 miles ... turn right in two miles ... turn right in one mile ... turn right in a quarter mile ... turn right in 100 feet ... turn right"

If they worded this a bit differently it could really elevate the driving experience. On my mark turn right…. Two miles… one mile… steady….100 feet… mark! Turn complete, well done

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

there needs to be a "directions from your dad" mode

"go for about two miles then turn left by the big tree"
"you know, the one next to the bench"
"on the corner where the key cutting place is"
"that key cutter used to be a motorbike shop"
"i nearly bought a bike from them in 1968 but didn't"
"ok it's half a mile, then turn left"
"guess the key cutter shut down"
"left now"
"...i meant right"

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
timb add the pace notes mode

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

my favorite thing about apple maps is when youre driving like 200 miles on the same freeway and halfway through it will be like 'continue on interstate route 5' thanks i was totally about to veer off the freeway in kettleman city for no apparent reason. idiot app shut up!!!

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

post hole digger posted:

my favorite thing about apple maps is when youre driving like 200 miles on the same freeway and halfway through it will be like 'continue on interstate route 5' thanks i was totally about to veer off the freeway in kettleman city for no apparent reason. idiot app shut up!!!

i spent 2 days in kettleman city waiting for a loving water pump for my old busted-rear end car.

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

if you spend more than 30 minutes in kettleman city, you have stayed there too long

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

was gonna joke about a mode for rally pace notes but someone already made that app

and appropriately named it "sideways"

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

post hole digger posted:

the central valley is a soul-destroying wasteland, so having an app periodically remind you to stay on the freeway and not drive yourself into a overpass stanchion or drainage ditch at 75mph is just apple maps looking out for you

also lol kettleman city

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

rotor posted:

i spent 2 days in kettleman city waiting for a loving water pump for my old busted-rear end car.

:pwn:

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

rotor posted:

been rewatching better call saul and the saga of the kettlemen is so good.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

post hole digger posted:

there are some odd signs at forks when there are multiple interstates and US highways following the same road so I at least understand what they’re trying to do.

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

apple maps seems obsessed with having you take slip roads rather than staying on the highway

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Archduke Frantz Fanon posted:

apple maps seems obsessed with having you take slip roads rather than staying on the highway

I once called out Apple Maps on this in this forum using examples from my commute and in the next update all those specifically were fixed but others in my area were not

so thanks to whoever filled out that radar!

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

one of the remaining issues with every map software near me is southbound i-35E and I-94: nobody gets the lanes correct for this or that you really should take that exit so you can stay on I-94 without weaving.

https://maps.app.goo.gl/ZcVBTyxQYrcKH9bu9?g_st=ic

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Archduke Frantz Fanon posted:

i haven't had either try and direct me down some random gravel service road in a long time, but i have noticed that apple will direct you to a route that's 15 minutes longer to avoid a $1 toll, even with 'avoid tolls' turned off, while google will stick to the fastest route

Skinnymansbeerbelly
Apr 1, 2010

rotor posted:

if you spend more than 30 minutes in kettleman city, you have stayed there too long

The KC In-n-Out is a bizarre nexus that binds north to south amidst choking toxic dust

The line is always murder

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Sweevo posted:

there needs to be a "directions from your dad" mode

"go for about two miles then turn left by the big tree"
"you know, the one next to the bench"
"on the corner where the key cutting place is"
"that key cutter used to be a motorbike shop"
"i nearly bought a bike from them in 1968 but didn't"
"ok it's half a mile, then turn left"
"guess the key cutter shut down"
"left now"
"...i meant right"

lol

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

Wanna run with my crew huh? Rule cyberspace and crunch numbers like I do?

haveblue posted:

timb add the pace notes mode

AlbertFlasher
Feb 14, 2006

Hulk Hogan and the Wrestling Boot Band
Kettleman is a brand of bagels. They are pretty good: https://www.kettlemansbagels.ca/

AlbertFlasher
Feb 14, 2006

Hulk Hogan and the Wrestling Boot Band
Their Montreal bagels are excellent

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

Hed posted:

assuming you have the left hand/right hand set correctly, the direction of the tones or vibrations is telling you what it wants your hand to do. so for example if you're wearing it on your left wrist, an ascending tone or vibration means lift your hand up, ie: turn right. descending means pull your hand down, turn left. it's one of those things where the less you think about it the easier it is

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Stupid drivers always breaking car, Gronk fix car...
fun tech fact: kettlemen city used to be next to a gigantic inland lake but as soon as pumped irrigation happened in the san joaquin it disappeared in a year

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

DJ Commie posted:

fun tech fact: kettlemen city used to be next to a gigantic inland lake but as soon as pumped irrigation happened in the san joaquin it disappeared in a year

tulare lake is back and its full of turds baby!

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

pretty cool that tulare lake was basically single-handedly destroyed by one guy so he could grow cotton there

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

post hole digger posted:

pretty cool that tulare lake was basically single-handedly destroyed by one guy so he could grow cotton there
excuse me forums poster post hole digger, but FOOD GROWS WHERE WATER FLOWS

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
END THE PELOSI-CREATED DUST BOWL

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
IS GROWING FOOD "WASTING WATER"?

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

a great way to go insane if you live in california is to read the dreamt land by mark arax.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
california is yet another testament to american hubris

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

california is probably americas greatest testament to its own hubris. i really want to read palo alto by malcolm harris too but i gotta wait til a little later this year.

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

'On November 5, 1880 Marx wrote to Sorge for material on economic developments in California because, as he put it, "no where else has the upheavel most shamelessly caused by capitalist centralization taken place with such speed,"'

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
states like nevada and new mexico are clearly jokes, but no one actually lives in them, but then you have california, which is at least 2/3rds mountains or some form of desert, and yet contains more than 10% of the population and accounts for 1/8th of the national GDP