Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

I can't wait to entertain you.
Is it Billy Dee or Glover who has six fingered hands?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Teek posted:

Is it Billy Dee or Glover who has six fingered hands?

You're thinking of Christopher Guest?

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck
That was an unfortunate mutation he picked up when he slipped in puddle of slime on the planet Ephebophine.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

i didn't know that the sex haver vs quivering heap conflict stretched back all the way to the lando books

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Taking the opportunity to drop this fan-made trailer for a 1970s Blaxploitation Lando movie.

https://youtu.be/NATeU-r0GDU

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC

Casimir Radon posted:

Seems a bit weird that they’re doing I, Jedi without the academy trilogy first since they’re so tied in together.

Kids will have to learn about the Gun of Command sooner or later. Knowing they’re getting into the weeds with some of the less quality books getting unabridged audiobooks is kind of nice. I’d like to be able to revisit some of the schlock on a long drive or something and not chew up my valuable reading time.

I can see why they would pick I, Jedi without also doing Jedi Academy. Since the former covers the events of the latter while also altering how things play out.

I, Jedi is also the only Star Wars book from a first person perspective right? I've always wondered why Stackpole decided on that.

edit: Thinking on it some more it is odd to jump to I, Jedi without first finishing the X-wing series.

OhFunny fucked around with this message at 09:03 on Mar 31, 2023

Humerus
Jul 7, 2009

Rule of acquisition #111:
Treat people in your debt like family...exploit them.

There's a Disney EU book, Heir to the Jedi, which is first person Luke. It's also not very good. Felt like I was reading a novelization of a video game. According to Wookieepedia it was mostly written before Disney bought LucasFilm so it was going to be part of the old EU.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Yeah, that was from the end of the old EU when they had the idea to do standalone Big Three novels written by big names who had never done Star Wars before. Which was a good idea, but all were really forgettable at best. I don’t think anything from Heir to the Jedi has even been referenced since, despite it being one of the foundational Disney EU books.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Sorry to double post, but the British academic publisher Palgrave Macmillan just put out an edited volume of scholarly essays titled American Science Fiction Television and Space: Productions and (Re)configurations (1987-2021), which as the title indicates is focused on American sci-fi television programs from the debut of Star Trek TNG to the present day. I bring it up because I have a chapter in it titled “To Ensure the Safety of the Republic, We Must Deregulate the Banks”: A Social Democratic Reading of Star Wars: The Clone Wars, which also looks at a number of other Star Wars shows, films, and EU publications from both pre- and post-Disney purchase. The basic premise is that I argue there are very different economic and political positions taken by the prequels and sequels (especially TFA) and that this transition is evident in The Clone Wars (both original and revival run). I also delve into some more real-world economic and political influences, and some in-universe political and economic policies of the Old Republic, Empire, and New Republic.

To give you a sense of how long academic publishing takes, I started working on this in 2018, was given chances to revise it in 2020 and 2021, so I was unable to include anything from Andor, which would have fit in great. Due to space limits I also couldn't discuss some things I wanted to, like Saw Gerrera or the droid economy. But in general, I like how it came out, and glad that people will hopefully get the chance to read it. It's an academic book so the price is crazy, but if anyone would like to read it, I'd be happy to email them the chapter!

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Username at gmail.com, please.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Same, username at gmail!

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Oh absolutely yes, that seems right up my alley. Same, username at gmail, please.

I'm genuinely excited.

Fritzler
Sep 5, 2007

Please send too. I will edit this out after I get but:

Edit: Thanks

Fritzler fucked around with this message at 02:13 on Apr 4, 2023

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret
Include me too please

fartknocker fucked around with this message at 01:20 on Apr 4, 2023

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Chairman Capone posted:

Sorry to double post, but the British academic publisher Palgrave Macmillan just put out an edited volume of scholarly essays titled American Science Fiction Television and Space: Productions and (Re)configurations (1987-2021), which as the title indicates is focused on American sci-fi television programs from the debut of Star Trek TNG to the present day. I bring it up because I have a chapter in it titled “To Ensure the Safety of the Republic, We Must Deregulate the Banks”: A Social Democratic Reading of Star Wars: The Clone Wars, which also looks at a number of other Star Wars shows, films, and EU publications from both pre- and post-Disney purchase. The basic premise is that I argue there are very different economic and political positions taken by the prequels and sequels (especially TFA) and that this transition is evident in The Clone Wars (both original and revival run). I also delve into some more real-world economic and political influences, and some in-universe political and economic policies of the Old Republic, Empire, and New Republic.

To give you a sense of how long academic publishing takes, I started working on this in 2018, was given chances to revise it in 2020 and 2021, so I was unable to include anything from Andor, which would have fit in great. Due to space limits I also couldn't discuss some things I wanted to, like Saw Gerrera or the droid economy. But in general, I like how it came out, and glad that people will hopefully get the chance to read it. It's an academic book so the price is crazy, but if anyone would like to read it, I'd be happy to email them the chapter!

love this from the preview

quote:

After all, the novels and comics set after 1983’s Episode VI: Return of the Jedi (ROTJ) had introduced such elements as the Rebel Alliance’s transformation into a New Republic, only for its capitol to be destroyed by an extragalactic invasion; Princess Leia and Han Solo’s son, who was trained as a Jedi by Luke Skywalker before turning to the dark side and becoming galactic dictator; and Emperor Palpatine’s return from the dead and secret Jedi grandchild. Obviously, these would be nearly impossible for casual fans to follow and would prohibit the new movies from developing their own original stories in new directions.

savage

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

I'd love to read it too!

cptn_dr fucked around with this message at 00:59 on Apr 4, 2023

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
Also interested

E: Thanks!

Doctor Spaceman fucked around with this message at 01:01 on Apr 4, 2023

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!
Me too! [Redacted]

Zoran fucked around with this message at 04:15 on Apr 4, 2023

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Just sent the article off to everyone who posted here - if anyone else wants a copy, please just ask!

Jazerus posted:

love this from the preview

savage

Hahah yeah, I couldn't help myself. I'm not entirely sure the editor got it, although he did seem to be a fan of Clone Wars, Mandalorian, and Bad Batch at least from some of his comments.

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

Awesome, thank you! Looking forward to reading it.

NinjaPete
Nov 14, 2004

Hail to the speaker,
Hail to the knower,
Joy to him who has understood,
Delight to those who have listened.

- Hávamál

Chairman Capone posted:

Just sent the article off to everyone who posted here - if anyone else wants a copy, please just ask!

I'd love a copy please. E: removed. Thanks!!

NinjaPete fucked around with this message at 14:18 on Apr 5, 2023

RC01214
Apr 14, 2013
I would also like a copy! Unfortunately, I do not have an email that can be safely put here.

RC01214 fucked around with this message at 05:28 on Apr 4, 2023

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
A copy to username @mail.com would be amazing (just mail. Not gmail)

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Thanks kindly. Was a great read.

Vinylshadow fucked around with this message at 01:50 on Apr 6, 2023

soulfulspinster
Aug 2, 2012

Chairman Capone posted:

Hahah yeah, I couldn't help myself. I'm not entirely sure the editor got it, although he did seem to be a fan of Clone Wars, Mandalorian, and Bad Batch at least from some of his comments.

I would also dig a copy, thank you!

Anshu
Jan 9, 2019

Chairman Capone posted:

This sounds super interesting! Send a copy to [email removed] please

Anshu fucked around with this message at 23:57 on Apr 4, 2023

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Yeah that sounds great, and congrats on getting published. E: removed

StashAugustine fucked around with this message at 21:11 on Apr 4, 2023

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Just sent it off to everyone who posted their emails since the last post. Enjoy!

Anshu
Jan 9, 2019

Thanks very much!

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Some news out of Celebration London: James Mangold is going to be doing a film about the first Jedi, Dave Filoni is going to do a film about the Imperial Remnant vs. the New Republic, and Sharmeen Obaid-Chinoy is going to be directing a film set 15 years after the sequels featuring Daisy Ridley as Jedi Master Rey (this is the film that Damon Lindelof had been working on).

Notably, the Mangold film is being officially referred to as being set in the "Dawn of the Jedi Era" and the Rey film is being referred to as being in "The New Jedi Order Era," even though the symbol they're using for it is that of the old EU Legacy era. (The Dawn of the Jedi Era symbol seems to show the Prime Jedi that was depicted in Luke's cave in TLJ.) Really curious if the NJO movie will draw in any other cameos from the NJO. (Assuming any of these films actually get made, of course).

Also the Ahsoka trailer shows a live action Grand Admiral Thrawn and New Republic Mon Mothma, and Ahsoka even referring to him as the "Heir to the Empire" (the former probably the most obvious spoiler in the world but covering just in case) in it. The slow EU-ification of the Disney era continues.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

Chairman Capone posted:

Sharmeen Obaid-Chinoy is going to be directing a film set 15 years after the sequels featuring Daisy Ridley as Jedi Master Rey (this is the film that Damon Lindelof had been working on).

"Somehow, Palpatine returned again."

Christ, imagine still being able to get work after writing TRoS. That whole era is so radioactive I have no idea where you'd even start to put together a plot. Blow up the New New Republic? Put in a big superweapon with a trench you can fly down?

Despite being on a Clone Wars kick at the moment, I don't have much of an interest in the Ahsoka show. My love of that character is primarily due to Ashley Eckstein's performance; Rosario Dawson in that one episode of Mandalorian didn't do much for me.

To talk about books just a little since that is this thread, I'm reading the Darth Plaeguis book for the first time and it's rather neat. I'm not really invested in the misadventures of Teen Palpatine (who in a fantastic bit of pre-continuity only goes by his last name because he hates his first name so much!), but Sith lords who are also titans of industry is really appealing in a conspiracy sort of way, and Luceno's characterization of the Sith as pulling on strings not so much with a goal in mind, but just to see what happens is a really neat contrast to the Jedi, protectors of the status quo.

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS
I hope the Dawn of the Jedi movie borrows from the aesthetics of classical antiquity like the Tales of the Jedi comics also did, but my expectation is it's probably going to look indistinguishable from the Old Republic as it looked like just prior to the clone wars. God forbid that Disney makes a Star Wars movie that isn't 90% visually identical to the prior movies.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Yeah, the Ahsoka show feels like it's Dave Filoni deciding "what if I took a cornerstone of the old EU... and rewrote it to star my own characters?" I'm sure I'll watch it but I'm not feeling super invested.

It's funny, in the 1990s I just always assumed that Palpatine's first name was Cos. I don't know where that came from (I think there was a character named Cos in one of the early Star Wars drafts), but that was just a really common fan belief at the time. Cos Palpatine. Edit: actually, I think Luceno even indirectly alludes to this in the Plagueis novel with Cosinga Palpatine being his dad and the implication that Palpatine was named after him.

Dan Wallace has said that back in 1999, Episode I tie-in materials almost established Palpatine's first name as Ethril. Not sure if that's better or worse than Sheev. Kind of sounds like a stereotypical old grandma name to me.

Chairman Capone fucked around with this message at 14:03 on Apr 7, 2023

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

Slashrat posted:

I hope the Dawn of the Jedi movie borrows from the aesthetics of classical antiquity like the Tales of the Jedi comics also did, but my expectation is it's probably going to look indistinguishable from the Old Republic as it looked like just prior to the clone wars. God forbid that Disney makes a Star Wars movie that isn't 90% visually identical to the prior movies.

KOTOR has a lot to answer for.

Chairman Capone posted:

It's funny, in the 1990s I just always assumed that Palpatine's first name was Cos. I don't know where that came from (I think there was a character named Cos in one of the early Star Wars drafts), but that was just a really common fan belief at the time. Cos Palpatine.

Dan Wallace has said that back in 1999, Episode I tie-in materials almost established Palpatine's first name as Ethril. Not sure if that's better or worse than Sheev. Kind of sounds like a stereotypical old grandma name to me.

Cos does get a callout in Plaeguis as Palpatine's father's name.

Sheev is a bad named because it sounds like Steve, and you probably want to avoid calling your main villain Steve Palpatine, and you're on the money about Ethril, too.

I keep a notebook full of interesting place names whenever I travel somewhere because they often make good fantasy names and those are hard to come up with, so here's ten names that would pair better with Palpatine: Ullin. Malden. Haytl. Dyess. Tyronza (sounds a little like Tyrone, but also like tyrant, classic Lucas naming). Bosnaga. Herak. Vidor. Branfel. Solmo.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Chairman Capone posted:

Yeah, the Ahsoka show feels like it's Dave Filoni deciding "what if I took a cornerstone of the old EU... and rewrote it to star my own characters?" I'm sure I'll watch it but I'm not feeling super invested.

It's funny, in the 1990s I just always assumed that Palpatine's first name was Cos. I don't know where that came from (I think there was a character named Cos in one of the early Star Wars drafts), but that was just a really common fan belief at the time. Cos Palpatine. Edit: actually, I think Luceno even indirectly alludes to this in the Plagueis novel with Cosinga Palpatine being his dad and the implication that Palpatine was named after him.

"Cos Dashit" was the name used by Lucas in an earlier draft of Star Wars for the character that became Emperor Palpatine. You can see it used in the comic adaptation of that script, "The Star Wars".

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck
Ah, the in-universe equivalent of the Scunthorpe problem.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Rochallor posted:

Sheev is a bad named because it sounds like Steve, and you probably want to avoid calling your main villain Steve Palpatine, and you're on the money about Ethril, too.

Yeah like who'd imagine a dictator having a bog-standard first name like Steve or Joseph :v:

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

According to Luceno via Wookiepedia ‘Sheev’ was the name Lucas came up with for use with the Star Wars: Underworld show that never happened. I’d wondered because he went to pains to not give him a first name in Darth Plagueis, then casually drops it in Tarkin a couple years later.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

So out of Celebration London day two, apparently there are going to be characters from the High Republic books/comics in The Acolyte show from next year. I haven't read any of that series so I can't really give any opinion or even spoilers beyond that, but it's interesting to finally see new-EU characters make the jump to live action (I don't really consider the animated shows on the same level as the books/comics in terms of adaptation). They also announced the titles and authors of the High Republic Phase 3 books, but again doesn't really mean anything to me.

There also is a full-on spoiler image released of Grand Admiral Thrawn as he looks in Ahsoka floating around so beware if you want to avoid character spoilers related to that show, but I regret to say that he really, really looks like Elon Musk to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
We've already had novel and comic characters show up in The Mandalorian and Book of Boba Fett though.