Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Platystemon)

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

forgot how incredible 2003 was & shaking atm :hellyeah:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Mr. Sharps posted:

the internet has become so intolerable to use that I spend my time on it on maybe a half dozen (non-work related) websites at most. and every time I get directed away and into a cookies thing or a wall of mobile ads or an interesting looking article that gets chopped off by some request to subscribe I just close the window and forget about it

i honestly have a hard time believing that people are so tolerant of their time being wasted like this that it remains a viable business strategy to put up as many roadblocks as possible between the content of your site and the people using it

i use SA, twitch, and an RSS feed of blogs i like because you can in fact live like its 2005 through sheer force of will

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

mawarannahr posted:

forgot how incredible 2003 was & shaking atm :hellyeah:

From "shock and awe" to mock-and-guffaw

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Tulip posted:

i use SA, twitch, and an RSS feed of blogs i like because you can in fact live like its 2005 through sheer force of will
:hmmyes:

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

https://lite.cnn.com
the last static page. always good as a reminder that consumer internet really has been getting better. still blows my mind to click a link and get the full article in milliseconds

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Ruffian Price posted:

the last static page. always good as a reminder that consumer internet really has been getting better. still blows my mind to click a link and get the full article in milliseconds

Yeah it's amazing it's still up. I assume it might be so their reporters in the middle of nowhere or in natural disasters can access things. Riding a bus in rural Turkey it was one of a handful of sites that would load on 2G.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
RSS feed reader, SA, and Tumblr are the primary ways I interact with the internet.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

Okay, how does the scam work? Are there people out there renting sight unseen?

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

ikanreed posted:

You list an apartment in a hot market with limited availability and people send you an application or hold fee without looking at the place first, bingo bongo

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

ikanreed posted:

the way the scam works is that they take advantsge of desparate people, usually ESL speakers, and have them put down a deposit to "reserve" the listing then disappear

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
why even use AI to create the pictures at that point? why not just steal some from another listing?

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

It just occurred to me that if you consider what type of work is most amenable to having lots of outputs with absolutely zero quality control, fire-and-forget scam artistry is right at the top of that list. The poo poo I get saying my Netflix account is frozen and I need to put my ssn, mother's maiden name, and blood type into a shady form to unlock it is already less believable than an AI.

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

ekuNNN posted:

why even use AI to create the pictures at that point? why not just steal some from another listing?

The listing sites would stop you if you just copied an existing listing :thunk:

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

The Oldest Man posted:

The listing sites would stop you if you just copied an existing listing :thunk:

No they don't, or they'd stop the corporate shops putting out a billion identical listings

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

The Oldest Man posted:

It just occurred to me that if you consider what type of work is most amenable to having lots of outputs with absolutely zero quality control, fire-and-forget scam artistry is right at the top of that list. The poo poo I get saying my Netflix account is frozen and I need to put my ssn, mother's maiden name, and blood type into a shady form to unlock it is already less believable than an AI.

this is actually part of the scam, they want to hook the kind of person who wont stop and think "hey this all looks pretty unofficial, somethings fishy"

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Ruffian Price posted:

"Go to the full CNN experience"
No

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

ikanreed posted:

No they don't, or they'd stop the corporate shops putting out a billion identical listings

You can put up as much garbage as you want as long as your images aren't copied from a different landlord's account.

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

The dialectical struggle of history has always, essentially, been a question of how to apply justice to matter. Take away matter and what remains is justice.

HootTheOwl posted:

No

Without all the padding it's so much more evident just how little information there actually is in a modern day article lol

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

tokin opposition posted:

Without all the padding it's so much more evident just how little information there actually is in a modern day article lol

many disinformation ascktually

Question Time
Sep 12, 2010

Ruffian Price posted:

thanks for this, i may actually start reading news from somewhere other than cspam/gbs.

all i want is a text-only internet. SA works somewhat, but sometimes people post images, or even the cursed Twitter links

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

HootTheOwl posted:

No

vs

:hmmno:

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

What in tarnation

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

The dialectical struggle of history has always, essentially, been a question of how to apply justice to matter. Take away matter and what remains is justice.

mycomancy posted:

What in tarnation

This is a picture from something called a "computer". Now go back to bed Grandpa

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

mycomancy posted:

What in tarnation

i've automated screaming at clouds, op

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
Old api calls at cloud

silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

Donald John Trump (born June 14, 1946) is the 45th and current President of the United States. Before entering politics, he was a businessman and television personality.

ikanreed posted:

after someone reports a bogus listing, it's a lot faster to prove a duplicate is a duplicate (of someone else's posting) than it is to prove a fake is a fake

ol qwerty bastard
Dec 13, 2005

If you want something done, do it yourself!
Early-mid 2000s internet really was a golden age and we didn't even realize it at the time. Remember when you could go on del.icio.us or stumbleupon or before-it-got-lovely digg or even (god forbid) fark.com and find links to genuinely interesting websites that people made just because they wanted to share something cool with the world, and you weren't blasted in the face with a million ads and trackers and scams and email newsletter signup requests? Maybe I'm just a grumpy old man, idk.

A Bakers Cousin
Dec 18, 2003

by vyelkin
no, poo poo sucks now man

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

ekuNNN posted:

thats whats weird
this is what the building looks like on street view

the listing looks like this

its like they ran it thru a filter to make it look like a lovely ai generated image to get past the dupe detection

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

duz posted:

thats whats weird
this is what the building looks like on street view

the listing looks like this

its like they ran it thru a filter to make it look like a lovely ai generated image to get past the dupe detection
Yeah, the AI probably scraped the image and then remade it

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

AdBlock, y'all heard of it

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

the internet of 2023 is reminiscent of 90s warez sites, except it's every single corner of the internet (except for the dead gay corner)

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

ol qwerty bastard posted:

Early-mid 2000s internet really was a golden age and we didn't even realize it at the time. Remember when you could go on del.icio.us or stumbleupon or before-it-got-lovely digg or even (god forbid) fark.com and find links to genuinely interesting websites that people made just because they wanted to share something cool with the world, and you weren't blasted in the face with a million ads and trackers and scams and email newsletter signup requests? Maybe I'm just a grumpy old man, idk.

yeah even late 90s internet that was all webrings, blogs, vb forums, and whatever fark was was better

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

nobody would bother making a website for fun anymore, because really who's going to ever see it

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

dont forget to sign my guest book if you liked my final fantasy rumors

A Bakers Cousin
Dec 18, 2003

by vyelkin
webrings were a cute idea

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

tokin opposition posted:

AdBlock, y'all heard of it

won't stop delaying content to do ad negotiation in the background, even if ads themselves don't load on your machine

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Romochop

Enver Zogha
Nov 12, 2008

The modern revisionists and reactionaries call us Stalinists, thinking that they insult us and, in fact, that is what they have in mind. But, on the contrary, they glorify us with this epithet; it is an honor for us to be Stalinists.

ol qwerty bastard posted:

I do think "remember the good ol' days when there weren't a million ads" requires rose-tinted glasses, at least in my experience circa 2002. Plenty of sites had pop-ups, and it was seen as something you just had to learn to live with since adblockers didn't really exist.

There's definitely been a greater "centralization" of places people interact with though. For example, when Perfect Dark was coming out there were multiple fan sites created for it (the founder of one wrote about what it was like.) Nowadays there would be a single subreddit, one Discord, and/or a handful of individuals on Twitter and Twitch/YouTube dispensing the latest info.

Centralization doesn't have to be bad, but obviously when it takes the form of Twitter or Facebook or whatever it has obvious downsides.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

Gleichheit soll gedeihen

A Bakers Cousin posted:

webrings were a cute idea

they should come back because search engines loving suck