Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yP-Qduvw9zY

Mario movie lookin' good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Looks like the hierarchy of power in the Disney universe is about to change.

Anyway I never wanted this to happen but honestly I totally expected it. The minute I heard the Rock was cast in a Disney cartoon I thought "he's definitely gonna want to do the part in the remake"

The only real thing I'm curious about is whether Disney wanted to do it this early or if they were gonna save it for later but Johnson was like "listen we have to do this soon before I get any older because I'll be damned if I'm not Maui in live-action." Because after seeing Johnson somehow get Black Adam made against all common sense, I'm convinced he just decides to do a movie and Hollywood just accommodates him

Bleck posted:

This is my biggest complaint about the "live-action" remake; if you told me that they were originally going to cut that song and then added in the lowest-effort version possible at the last minute due to public outcry, I'd believe it.

I thought they literally did this but I guess I'm confusing reality with some youtube video ripping on the movie

TwoPair fucked around with this message at 01:52 on Apr 4, 2023

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream
That never would come to me

:lol: I was wondering a while back what they would do when they ran out of animated films to remake. I guess that answers that question. Somehow, I guess I figured the CGI canon was still too new to do that - or maybe more to the point, they were already 2/3rds "live-action" already by Disney standards.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Did the Rock's ego get so hurt by Black Adam underperforming that he barrelled into Iger's office begging for a Moana remake to make him relevant again?

Like this really came out of nowhere. Other remakes have had writers attached for ages. This one was either kept closely under wraps or is a very recent development as Iger looks for ways to increase profits and tries to locate which of their IP are underutilized and need more attention

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Disney_live-action_adaptations_and_remakes_of_Disney_animated_films

mutantIke
Oct 24, 2022

Born in '04
Certified Zoomer
Watching the Spider-Verse extended cut. I will never forgive Marvel for making them cut Ganke completely, he's a really fun character. Also the original Peter B introduction is comedy gold

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
They said he’d feature in the sequel, and from trailers… I don’t think that’s the case.

Miles needs a solo movie.

Sourdough Sam
May 2, 2010

:dukedog:
Incidentally they just dropped a new trailer.

https://twitter.com/chrizmillr/status/1643146633314701312?t=Ow6-SzwYfT35y74kW7kTDQ&s=19

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

TwoPair posted:

The only real thing I'm curious about is whether Disney wanted to do it this early or if they were gonna save it for later but Johnson was like "listen we have to do this soon before I get any older because I'll be damned if I'm not Maui in live-action."

I genuinely do believe that's how it happened. He's accepting the fact that Maui was his best role and cashing in while he can.

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

Bleck posted:

This is my biggest complaint about the "live-action" remake; if you told me that they were originally going to cut that song and then added in the lowest-effort version possible at the last minute due to public outcry, I'd believe it.

It's very bad, except I love Ejiofor's delivery of is simply why I'll be KING. It's a nice way to sell Scar's delusions of grandeur (and a bit necessary when you don't get the visuals of his lust for power causing the local terrain to go crazy in the climax of the original).

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

I'm annoyed I can't find the good crappy 3d version of Mufasa's death.

mutantIke
Oct 24, 2022

Born in '04
Certified Zoomer

The_Doctor posted:

They said he’d feature in the sequel, and from trailers… I don’t think that’s the case.

Miles needs a solo movie.

Absolutely agree. Even in that extended cut, he completely disappears as soon as Peter B shows up

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

Inspector Gesicht posted:

I'm annoyed I can't find the good crappy 3d version of Mufasa's death.

This is the good version of the death scene imo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zJr5hNVKBXc

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

Here's the one I think you meant
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZrhqtCn5WT8

Someone remade the whole movie, I think it's better than disneys crappy 3d version

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qi-Q73RSF_c

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

mystes posted:

Theoretically live action frozen would probably make more sense than most of the other remakes but they would still ruin it the same way as the other ones by not being able to decide whether to slavishly follow the cartoon or make it its own thing and making something half-assed and terrible in between

Hey maybe they can fix frozen 2.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Another movie where the female character is not the main character despite being the most competent one.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Alhazred posted:

Another movie where the female character is not the main character despite being the most competent one.

The preview make it seem like Peach is in the majority of the movie

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Party Boat posted:

This is the good version of the death scene imo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zJr5hNVKBXc

Well I guess the movie has some worth now.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

On the subject of TLK, how was that cartoon series they did a couple years back (The Lion Guard)?

IBroughttheFunk
Sep 28, 2012
https://mobile.twitter.com/Variety/status/1643244737732771840

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I saw this earlier, and frankly I just can't get excited for it until I know if the movie is going to look like Puss in Boots of if they're going to go back to their standard style. I'll be extremely disappointed if it's the latter

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

Alhazred posted:

:ssh: shut up :ssh:
If this does well we might get a metroid movie

Kermit The Grog
Mar 29, 2010

Wait, why is Illuminations teasing a Dreamworks property? Are they all the same thing now?

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Alhazred posted:

Why would the main character tend to be the most “competent” person?

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

So, Elemental comes out two weeks after Spider-Verse. What are we gonna get?

It's damned by faint praise, but I appreciate that Pixar didn't jam in another bureaucracy in that 9/11 Red Panda movie.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

DeimosRising posted:

Why would the main character tend to be the most “competent” person?

Plus this is clearly an origin story of sorts, some chubby plumber from Brooklyn is not going to be able to do that obstacle course right out the gate, but the literal ruler of the Kingdom in this new world would easily be able to do it. By the end of the movie or that scene he's going to be able to do it, because Peach is gonna be like "sorry it's too dangerous to bring you" or whatever and Mario is gonna be like MY BROTHER and Mulan the obstacle course.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

The hero's journey, famously about being the best at everything from page 1

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Shrek 5 will he an isekai into our world. Shrek will have to defend DreamWorks from an unspecified monopoly corporation run by a mouse posing as a human.

Shrek and co will meet animated versions of their voice actors.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

unused puss in boots death scene

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

I still really, really hope that something about the Mario movie is unexpected. Mario learns to be a hero to stop the evil bowser is maybe the most boring possible way to approach an IP where Bowser kidnaps Peach so often it's basically a punchline and sometimes Mario and Luigi have to shrink down and crawl around inside bowser before meeting him for some Golf on the weekend. At least Sonic made it an Eggman origin movie.

I get "it's the exact thing you were expecting, just the best possible version of it" has been Nintendo's schtick for a long time now, but, like...the few times they do something new with an IP its usually hailed as the second coming. I'm looking at you, BotW.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!

Kermit The Grog posted:

Wait, why is Illuminations teasing a Dreamworks property? Are they all the same thing now?

This is answered by reading the article.

quote:

Beyond running Illumination, Meledandri, who sat down with Variety with Nintendo’s Shigeru Miyamoto for this week’s cover story on the making of “The Super Mario Bros. Movie,” also serves as a creative partner to DreamWorks Animation as it looks to reboot the “Shrek” franchise. In that capacity, he’s keen to see the return of the film’s original voice cast (which includes Mike Myers, Cameron Diaz and Eddie Murphy) for “Shrek 5.”

Both Studios are owned by NBC UNIVERSAL.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Detective No. 27 posted:

Shrek 5 will he an isekai into our world. Shrek will have to defend DreamWorks from an unspecified monopoly corporation run by a mouse posing as a human.

Shrek and co will meet animated versions of their voice actors.

This is disturbingly plausible

FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.
You get a different mario movie depending which character you pick.

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

We have decided to decline your offer of a butt kicking.
I'm pumped about the second Mario movie, which will just be a Minions movie reskinned as a Mario dream sequence.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

If you or someone you know has a gambling problem, crisis counseling and referral services can be accessed by calling
1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp

Wittgen posted:

I'm pumped about the second Mario movie, which will just be a Minions rabbids movie reskinned as a Mario dream sequence.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Alhazred posted:

Are you somehow surprised that a movie titled Super Mario Bros stars Mario?

Like…what? Is this a serious complaint? That they’d decide to have quite literally the most famous video game character of all time as the star of a movie that has his name in the title? Were you literally born yesterday?

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

Alhazred posted:

Art mirrors life.

I'd kind of like to hear the same lines done by the current Peach game voice actor. The movie has the, I guess, 'cool girl' voice? Breathy princess voice deserves it's time in the sun.

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

Mama Mia, these reviews don’t-a look so good!

Kart Barfunkel fucked around with this message at 22:26 on Apr 4, 2023

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

Alhazred posted:

The most competent character is not always the most interesting character.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem
I think that poster is making a crack at the How to Train Your Dragon sequels, where there's a lot of drama over Hiccup becoming reluctant king when there's already a character who could probably run the place (Astrid) and would probably be happier with the job. So it really does feel like a blindspot on the writer's part. Otherwise there is nothing new about the strongest/most competent character being a side character, it's the legacy of Gandalf.

mycot fucked around with this message at 22:27 on Apr 4, 2023