Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.

Nuclear Spoon posted:

god i just remembered christopher lloyd saying "COUNT DOOKU WAS A VISIONARY" and started cackling again

This bit cracked me up, just the most random shout out ever.

An endearingly goofy episode which I enjoyed a lot. Bo and Din should just become space P.I.'s though, never mind all that retaking a dead world bobbins.

Djarin & Kryze: Consulting Detectives

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

Alan Smithee posted:

what part of fully automated luxury gay space communism do you not understand

the whole "we want to serve!" thing is a gross trope that dogwhistles at so-called "model minorities" from real life. it's not fully automated if your labour class is sentient enough to enjoy going round the pub. count me among those who hyperjump away from omelas

bangin cameos, though, i loved lizzo's holographic dress

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.

Kesper North posted:

i loved lizzo's holographic dress

Yeah, that poo poo was next level.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Mandrel posted:

overall liked the episode, though not a huge fan of how I guess we're just doing Bo ascends to the throne which she totally definitely deserves straightforwardly for like the 3rd time, and Din feels like he's just gonna be back seated for the whole season at this point with only 2 eps to go.

also, re the Droid manager guy Christopher Lloyd, did his motive not make sense to anyone else? like the big a-ha is "he's a Separatist," but that doesn't explain anything. if anything, being a Separatist holdout makes his actions make less sense. the planet's independent already, a direct democracy like he wants. the only people he's hurting are droids, what was his motive? it just sort of glosses past that and everybody nods like yep, makes total sense, Separatists are Bad Guys. did I miss something there?

Kinda surprised no one mentioned this about Bo Katan. Surely someone in that mercenary squad knows how much of a gently caress up she is. "Hey yo Din, she sucks!"

Nope, it didn't make any sense.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Things this show does not think sucks:

Bo Katan
Cults
Slavery

Things this show does think sucks:
Liberals

Turpitude
Oct 13, 2004

Love love love

be an organ donor
Soiled Meat
They exiled Christopher Lloyd to the Moon of Paraquat!?!?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kjis3cs1HI8

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

I dunno, the luke stuff in booka (I'm just gonna count it as the same show) made it sound like they're pretty skeptical of the jedi cult. Maybe it's just the mandalorian cult specifically that is good because Family.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
I don't recall the pro-slavery episode.

koolkal
Oct 21, 2008

this thread maybe doesnt have room for 2 green xbox one avs

Alchenar posted:

Things this show does not think sucks:

Bo Katan
Cults
Slavery

Things this show does think sucks:
Liberals

I was actually mildly surprised by Lloyd being the villain considering the entire season has basically been "reject modernity, embrace tradition" while he rants about the lazy people not having to work and instead doing ART and not being able to survive on their own anymore.

Nuclear Spoon
Aug 18, 2010

I want to cry out
but I don’t scream and I don’t shout
And I feel so proud
to be alive

koolkal posted:

I was actually mildly surprised by Lloyd being the villain considering the entire season has basically been "reject modernity, embrace tradition" while he rants about the lazy people not having to work and instead doing ART and not being able to survive on their own anymore.

i don't think that's quite true given the Armourer tasking BKK with going out with the end goal of uniting Mandalorians of both tendencies

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Halloween Jack posted:

I don't recall the pro-slavery episode.

It was the whole "we love being service droids" comment in this episode I think. Basically this thread is now railroad hq

Ralph Crammed In
May 11, 2007

Let's get clean and smart

Droid bar?!?!

A bar for droids?

No, that's silly, why would a droid go to a bar, it must be a place for like, droid enthusiasts to hang out and trade parts.

lol nope it's a bar for droids!

I love this episode. Hologram dress Lizzo hand-feeding Grogu pickled space herring while playing pillbug croquet is my new favorite Star Wars character.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

No Mods No Masters posted:

I dunno if people were really chafing under the weight of the old republic bureaucracy, in phantom menace the bureaucracy seems to have no enforcement ability whatsoever so in practice everyone just does whatever they want. I guess charitably that's not worth paying space taxes over, enough to go to war over it?
Well, whenever the central administration can't actually govern, those roles are just taken over by regional elites--and you have the same perverse incentives we have now, where everything becomes privatized, repressive laws are passed, they institute a system of taxes and fees that you only need to pay because the bureaucracy hasn't officially collapsed yet. Like, life under the Old Republic also includes the people living under the Hutts.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Halloween Jack posted:

Well, whenever the central administration can't actually govern, those roles are just taken over by regional elites--and you have the same perverse incentives we have now, where everything becomes privatized, repressive laws are passed, they institute a system of taxes and fees that you only need to pay because the bureaucracy hasn't officially collapsed yet. Like, life under the Old Republic also includes the people living under the Hutts.

I guess my point was it's kind of dangerous to conflate "the bureaucracy is chafing are freedoms with red tape" with "the bureaucracy is not functioning due to space decadence". Feels like it's accepting a libertarian sleight of hand basically

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Fair point. That's Dooku's whole game, that the Republic is "corrupt" so let's bring back feudalism but replace the working class with robots and drones.

koolkal
Oct 21, 2008

Nuclear Spoon posted:

i don't think that's quite true given the Armourer tasking BKK with going out with the end goal of uniting Mandalorians of both tendencies

Eh, we'll see where that goes. Right now it seems like there will be some further conflict there, I can't imagine they just decide they're all friends and it's time to take back the old planet and sing Kumbaya. Or maybe they will considering there's only 2 episodes!

Also, even disregarding the conflict between the 2 groups, the entire concept of the Mandalorians is basically a bunch of a old-school warriors who train from childhood and their entire culture revolves around weapons and fighting. They worship metal, a blacksmith is held to the highest regard, their succession involves tests of combat or a magic sword. Pretty much their entire history prior to this show is the crazy nutjobs declaring war all over the place against everyone. Honor and tradition and all that. It'd be like watching Star Trek if the Klingons were actually the ones who were always right and the Federation won't even bother defending a member planet. It's a bit.. weird that this is the direction the show has taken.

The show started off as being about a Mandalorian essentially deciding to give up his old ways of being a warrior-for-hire and being a dad instead except now that's mostly gone away so now the show is essentially about the Mandalorians restoring their insane society which we should be cheering on because they are totally badass!

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

I think the show's position (maybe filoni verse in general as this seems to basically be bad batch too?) is that any given cult, government, or individual is good or bad insofar as they put emphasis on Family. Basically fast and the furious in space

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Axedouche: "That dude is a freaking Cultist!"
Also Axedouche: "You'll never be a real leader cause you don't have the magic sword of leadership!"

Also dude almost hit some of his fellows with a stray rocket that Bo dodged...

I genuinely love that all these Mandalorians are kinda stupid. :allears: Love that the elite mandalorian mercenaries who have a small cruiser are just sitting in a field, eating, drinking, and throwing around a sport ball while the Helmet Covert group are just constantly training and shooting into a river with deadly megafauna in it.

Also, always nice to see an ineffectual B1. Especially one working a day job and dealing with an rear end in a top hat. I love their voice. Imagine that B1 ranting at the bar at the end of it's shift :allears: And then his B1 buddies just go "Roger Roger, Roger!"

Galaga Galaxian fucked around with this message at 21:28 on Apr 5, 2023

DiomedesGodshill
Feb 21, 2009

Why in the world did Lizzo knight Grogu? What? Was it because he helped her cheat at pillbug croquet? Why was this included? What was the purpose? The only thing I can imagine is "and YOU get a prize too!" She known Grogu for what, an afternoon? I know Star Wars writing can be dumb, but that was really dumb.

koolkal
Oct 21, 2008

I think the show's position (maybe filoni verse in general as this seems to basically be bad batch too?) is that any given cult, government, or individual is good or bad insofar as they put emphasis on Family. Basically fast and the furious in space

It was kinda funny that Axe Wolves guy just threw out a bit of "pureblood" discrimination against Din to show that he's a shithead. I didn't even realize that was a thing until now.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

DiomedesGodshill posted:

Why in the world did Lizzo knight Grogu? What? Was it because he helped her cheat at pillbug croquet? Why was this included? What was the purpose? The only thing I can imagine is "and YOU get a prize too!" She known Grogu for what, an afternoon? I know Star Wars writing can be dumb, but that was really dumb.

If you were a royal with a sword you would too, c'mon now.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

I think it's sort of implied at this point that baby yoda has become space famous over however many years they've been adventuring. So people basically want to give him honorary degrees and titles and stuff like an earth celebrity

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

I think it's sort of implied at this point that baby yoda has become space famous over however many years they've been adventuring.

What? When?

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

koolkal posted:

It was kinda funny that Axe Wolves guy just threw out a bit of "pureblood" discrimination against Din to show that he's a shithead. I didn't even realize that was a thing until now.

It was implied to be a thing, then it was implied not to be a thing because Din was from one of Mandalore's moons. Now it's a thing again.

kliras
Mar 27, 2021

DiomedesGodshill posted:

it seemed pretty silly, but in some sense, titles titles work both ways as far as conferring prestige and honour. maybe she thought he had great things ahead of him, and being a knight of the planet would work to their benefit. they're very pragmatic and transactionally oriented after all

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

DiomedesGodshill posted:

I give you this knighthood but I do not grant you the rank of master

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Also it's obvious that these Mandalorians were the ones who jailbreaked Moff Gideon, right?

DiomedesGodshill
Feb 21, 2009

Lobok posted:

If you were a royal with a sword you would too, c'mon now.

I mean yeah but maybe have everyone at the space lunch calling each other Sir/Ser like it was a common enough practice that Lizzo had sword man ready to go. It just comes out of nowhere.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Alchenar posted:

Also it's obvious that these Mandalorians were the ones who jailbreaked Moff Gideon, right?

It's obvious that's the direction the story wants you to go in. I don't think that unless this group is completely morally bankrupt they'd have anything to do with the guy they spent YEARS trying to take down. No, I think this is setting up a conflict between the mandalorians and the New Republic down the line while the actual culprit is someone yet to be seen on screen.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

A.o.D. posted:

It's obvious that's the direction the story wants you to go in. I don't think that unless this group is completely morally bankrupt they'd have anything to do with the guy they spent YEARS trying to take down. No, I think this is setting up a conflict between the mandalorians and the New Republic down the line while the actual culprit is someone yet to be seen on screen.

It's important that every new government exterminates Mandalore. A rite of passage.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

I think it's not just family, by community in general. This shows especially in Bad Batch (and also Andor), but building and honoring communities has been integral to all the Star Wars shows recently. There's also been a strong anti-authoritarian, anti-fascist message through Andor, Bad Batch, and Mandalorian. That's surprising from a company of Disney's size, but I still think it's great that millions of people are seeing that message on the regular.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

A.o.D. posted:

They only cared about Gideon because he had the darksabre and Bo wanted it.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

I guess it's just that we've been told they've been adventuring for many years and there have presumably been many more planets visited/people helped offscreen. People would note b. yoda on account of being unique and cute and maybe they even remember original yoda. I dunno, it's the usual lazy star wars stuff where everyone in universe does and doesn't know the events the audience has seen as narratively convenient

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Alchenar posted:

They only cared about Gideon because he had the darksabre and Bo wanted it.

So? Why would they spring him? The empire destroyed their homeworld and genocided their people. They all were personally involved. The empire did this to them and the fact that Gideon had the Darksaber heavily implies he was somehow directly involved. If they busted Gideon out they'd be the biggest traitors we've seen in Star Wars media to date.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

mllaneza posted:

I think it's not just family, by community in general. This shows especially in Bad Batch (and also Andor), but building and honoring communities has been integral to all the Star Wars shows recently. There's also been a strong anti-authoritarian, anti-fascist message through Andor, Bad Batch, and Mandalorian. That's surprising from a company of Disney's size, but I still think it's great that millions of people are seeing that message on the regular.

I dunno, there's a pretty thin line between "found family" and "community" here that gives it a bit of a rorschach test quality. I feel like andor is on the right side of that line and this show isn't, but I will allow reasonable people can differ

DiomedesGodshill
Feb 21, 2009

Also if you're planning to be a space villain don't put your real name on the invoice of the illegal space things you're buying...you know... illegally. Love it.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

DiomedesGodshill posted:

Because she was hanging out with him all day having fun and he was doing a good job being cute. Once his dad helped solve their problem she gave him the royal equivalent of a lolipop at the bank

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

A.o.D. posted:

So? Why would they spring him? The empire destroyed their homeworld and genocided their people. They all were personally involved. The empire did this to them and the fact that Gideon had the Darksaber heavily implies he was somehow directly involved. If they busted Gideon out they'd be the biggest traitors we've seen in Star Wars media to date.

There was literally a speech about how they are heartless mercenaries who take jobs and don't care at the start of the episode.

e: on balance I think the episode was good and fun. Light little investigation/adventure story. I just think the direction they are taking the politics in order to mesh with the sequel trilogy is bad and dumb.

Alchenar fucked around with this message at 22:41 on Apr 5, 2023

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

DiomedesGodshill posted:

Royals hand out knighthoods for "arts and entertainment" every year IRL. In fact, some guy named John Williams received a KBE from Elizabeth II last year for "services to film music". Sport is another recognized category; legendary footballer Pele got a KBE in 1997.

She should have given him a custom mallet engraved with "For Special Services"

As for why it was included, search me. I'm guessing it was B-plot that got cut. Or I guess perhaps it might even have been a C-plot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH
Seeing two mandos playing catch, I want to see Mandalorian football. Do they get to have jetpacks?