Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

Khorne posted:

america tries to avoid GDPR-like data protection/privacy legislation and grants the executive broad, unchecked overreach to bully corporations and individuals instead

yea eff in particular has been pretty adamant that the better alternative to this would be sweeping privacy legislation and it seems like some of that might be going on elsewhere

https://www.informationweek.com/government/congressional-subcommittee-holds-hearing-on-data-privacy-policy
https://www.federalregister.gov/documents/2022/08/22/2022-17752/trade-regulation-rule-on-commercial-surveillance-and-data-security

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
ccpa is just gdpr but with birkenstocks and weed

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
cpra is this one billionaires personal crusade against zucj

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

bob dobbs is dead posted:

ccpa is just gdpr but with birkenstocks and weed

Every word in that sentence is better than the last so I’m not sure how effective this is as a burn

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

"oh another article about Tesla loving u.....wait"

doesn't sound that bad really though? except this bit which, lol

VW, apparently posted:

We want to stay on the certification level. So that means as minimally invasive for developers to say, 'Hey, I actually would like to be in the VW store because you know, 14 million connected vehicles already right now. 40 million by 2030...' There's some business to make, you know, and it's not much work to curate that in there," Hilgenberg told me.

love to download apps to my car

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome
it will absolutely end up as a fine mesh money filter where you pay a fee to enable every tiny feature.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

I read that more as "we will not allow unmonitored additions to what can and can't be made available in a car" which seems entirely reasonable. I could see a lawsuit if VW allowed anyone to make in car apps available that were incredibly distracting. I'm not sure if it's still the case, but I know at one point you needed approval to make apps that support android auto, and approval hinged on usability requirements like # of taps to perform an action and tap target sizes.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

rotor posted:

it will absolutely end up as a fine mesh money filter where you pay a fee to enable every tiny feature.

itym "enhancing the in-car user experience to better serve our customers"

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

the previous paragraph is important context there

quote:

As we've reported previously, CARIAD is moving to Android for its next infotainment system, offering the different brands in VW Group a system with maps from Here, Google point of interest data, and localized business information from Yelp natively, as well as Google automotive service integration. The move to Android, as with many other OEMs, is because that's where the app developers all are, with a VW App Store alongside the Google Play Store.

"We want to stay on the certification level. So that means as minimally invasive for developers to say, 'Hey, I actually would like to be in the VW store because you know, 14 million connected vehicles already right now. 40 million by 2030...' There's some business to make, you know, and it's not much work to curate that in there," Hilgenberg told me

the first paragraph still doesn’t quite make complete sense though because you’d think they’d enable google automotive services and have the play store or not. maybe they simply mean VW specific apps (first party) alongside android automotive apps.

the second paragraph makes more sense looking at the AAOS architecture:
https://source.android.com/docs/devices/automotive

they’re saying they want to focus on the HALs which is very reasonable.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

the only point of this kind of software in cars is to gatekeep features behind paywalls [the features reset when the car changes title]

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

sounds like this isnt going to deter GM at all tho

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
the thing that will hopefully deter both of them is the vast number of buyers asking “does this car work with my phone”

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

poo poo elon can get away with when they’re the only major ev mfr vs everyone having an ev

someone recently pointed out its easily possible to pay gm over $100/mo for services now (onstar, supercruise, data plan, etc) and they want to grow that to like tens of billions a year

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

haveblue posted:

the thing that will hopefully deter both of them is the vast number of buyers asking “does this car work with my phone”

They'll be asking the dealers that, not the manufacturers.

And the dealer will just say "yes, of course, it does all the things you want it to, but only if you sign here."

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

haveblue posted:

and the answer is “yes” due to Bluetooth

Fart Sandwiches
Apr 4, 2006

i never asked for this

hobbesmaster posted:

and the answer is “yes” due to Bluetooth

for $50 a month

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

post hole digger posted:

somewhat related to the convos going on above imo -- anyone been keeping an eye on the restrict act? not exactly sure what to make of it, but the EFF and the right have both been highly critical of it, although I haven't seen as much talk about it from more mainstream 'liberal' news sources like the NYT. the tiktok ban itself seems pretty transparently like its stemming from new cold war with china sinophobia type stuff, but a lot of the freakout i've seen about this seems to be about the overreach baked into the bill, particularly as it relates to the use of foreign vpns. lots of comparisons to the patriot act already. not really sure what to make of it yet.

pretty sure the tiktok ban is actually because facebook lobbied for it because they dont want to lose marketshare

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

gotta love "we have to protect the children! unless you sell the service to an american company"

Armitag3
Mar 15, 2020

Forget it Jake, it's cybertown.

fart simpson posted:

gotta love "we have to protect the children! unless you sell the service to an american company"

duh who else is better at protecting children but america

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

fart simpson posted:

pretty sure the tiktok ban is actually because facebook lobbied for it because they dont want to lose marketshare

id believe that as well.

dc3k
Feb 18, 2003

what.
i cant wait for car software where it detects if youve jailbroken it to steal the heated steering wheel feature it locks you inside the car and drives to a police station and starts honking

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
yeah it’s very much a “American data may only be stolen by American companies” thing at this point

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Fart Sandwiches posted:

for $50 a month

don’t be silly, the audio dlc is different stuff

https://car.harman.com/experiences/ready-tune

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

dc3k posted:

i cant wait for car software where it detects if youve jailbroken it to steal the heated steering wheel feature it locks you inside the car and drives to a police station and starts honking

it’s explicitly not a crime to hack your own car but the car company is allowed to blacklist you and your car’s VIN

Enderzero
Jun 19, 2001

The snowflake button makes it
cold cold cold
Set temperature makes it
hold hold hold
it’s obvious why the subscription features are becoming so popular but at the same time it feels like a strategic mistake implemented only for the shortest of short term stock purposes and, given the cost of new cars, it’s unlikely to work. average new car is around what, $36-37k? even the maniacs with insane $600-1200 payments can’t absorb much more. everything else has become too expensive

Enderzero
Jun 19, 2001

The snowflake button makes it
cold cold cold
Set temperature makes it
hold hold hold

fart simpson posted:

I think it’s this plus the need for cold war that dc and defense companies need. it’s giving it critical mass beyond the lobbying

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Enderzero posted:

it’s obvious why the subscription features are becoming so popular but at the same time it feels like a strategic mistake implemented only for the shortest of short term stock purposes and, given the cost of new cars, it’s unlikely to work. average new car is around what, $36-37k? even the maniacs with insane $600-1200 payments can’t absorb much more. everything else has become too expensive

yes but also when you have 100 or more ECUs in a car when you add a feature to a vehicle you’re adding the control logic and switches for it as well. in many cases that’s the only thing you’re adding and the equipment is on all models because it’s easier to do it that way. if it’s something that can be added you don’t see the dealer just pop a panel and put a new button in to a pre wired harness.

the idea behind the software defined vehicle is that there is a minimal number of (or maybe even 1) ECU. everything is handled by the touchscreen too. now instead of paying $500 to the dealer to plug in the cruise control stalk on your base model Yaris you can do it yourself through the touch screen or app.

the problem is that customers may be very annoyed or downright angry if it’s too obvious that there’s something that’s physically in the car that they can’t use. until they’re all like that maybe.

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

Touchscreens are also just fuckin dogshit for controlling a car while driving. poo poo like navigation or whatever that you're not really supposed to mess with while moving anyway is one thing, but the Tesla thing of headlights and wipers and cruise control all being on the touch screen is murderous incompetence

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
not only does nothing important happen on my car's touchscreen, but it doesn't work above 6mph by design. perfect

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

my Honda’s touchscreen is fine

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

only touch screen i have experience with is the prius, and it's loving terrible. lag well over a second at times between touching the screen and the desired action happening

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

post hole digger posted:

Every word in that sentence is better than the last so I’m not sure how effective this is as a burn

its not a burn. i did ccpa and gdpr poo poo all day erryday for 2 years. there was less than 400 sloc of poo poo difference in a 200ksloc rails codebase for ccpa vs gdpr by the time i left (cuz 200ksloc rails codebase poo poo kept happening lol)

Expo70
Nov 15, 2021

Can't talk now, doing
Hot Girl Stuff

hailthefish posted:

Touchscreens are also just fuckin dogshit for controlling a car while driving. poo poo like navigation or whatever that you're not really supposed to mess with while moving anyway is one thing, but the Tesla thing of headlights and wipers and cruise control all being on the touch screen is murderous incompetence

I think the only good touchscreen I've ever seen on a moving vehicle is the Gulfstream G500 flight-deck designs, which were primarily based on reports coming from F-35 pilots who were angry about how hard theirs were to use.

the solution as it turns out was to mount the rig in the back of a truck and bounce around the desert when doing all their ux, and to have what they called a "proximal point" which is like an alcove you slide your fingers into to steady them, so then you make your inputs using your thumb because doing so with an index finger was just that no-bueno.

there's still a lot of lovely things in the G600 specifically, because while it does integrate this rimmed design everywhere, some of the places you have to reach for would involve breaking your shoulders to hit them reliably for the overheads panel which is where all of your bus breakers and pump distribution management switches live and why those are behind menus I simply do not understand.

the idea of throwing hands to dive through a menu to check your CPS frequency and amperage and troubleshoot a transformer by bussing back to the APU and enabling yaw dampening to make up for the slight pressure asymmetry it caused ... with a loving menu... makes me die inside a little.

why is there always this obsession with putting important poo poo behind menus? even in the AH64 first variant apaches doing this cost a lot of lives until they got their indicator warning situation under control and stopped depending on mfds for everything

like are screens that much cheaper than switches now? what gives?

Expo70 fucked around with this message at 09:00 on Apr 7, 2023

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Expo70 posted:

like are screens that much cheaper than switches now? what gives?

yes in some cases, but also it's a lot cheaper to update software than hardware so you don't have to spend as much time and money to get it right the first time (or ever, really)

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

screens are cheaper to to bikeshed

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

i dont care right now what the user interface is like. we can figure that out later

- a product manager who likes screens

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

also air-certified poo poo is particularly out of whack cost-wise, i looked up what it would cost to get a single toggle switch once and it was like $800-$1500

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
it means for block 2 you can put new code on the same hardware instead of having to design and certify a whole new thing just to add one extra switch

Expo70
Nov 15, 2021

Can't talk now, doing
Hot Girl Stuff

Jonny 290 posted:

not only does nothing important happen on my car's touchscreen, but it doesn't work above 6mph by design. perfect

it feels like a shame that there isn't a law about this somewhere. how thee isn't in Europe blows my mind. it should be standardized that when you're moving, buttons only and eyes on the road please.

I think the best use of "keep your eye on the birdy" I've ever seen was doing a dissection of a 2020 Corvette C8 and being genuinely shocked by how many seconds the driver spent with their eyes on the road because of the bank of switches on the driver's right side so the touch-screen wasn't this super abusable accident-maker.

what you gain in usability when you design the cabin around a single person, I guess you lose in road-head but i had no idea that many compromises existed so the passenger experience wasn't loving miserable.

the official car of "your job is there to sit and look pretty to impress all the other guys, please do not share your thoughts with me"

that being said, doing donuts with it when the owner was in the store was funny.

responsible? no. fun? very yes.

fart simpson posted:

i dont care right now what the user interface is like. we can figure that out later

- a product manager who likes screens

i like to imagine futures where product management culture ceases to exist, like bell bottoms or affordable housing.

product team requirements: "have been using the legacy product for x number of years and have a large number of complaints"

man, its like the communism of product design. admirable, but some yudz will come along and gently caress it up.

Expo70 fucked around with this message at 09:05 on Apr 7, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

product managers are fine if they do their job right because they make it so i don't have to talk to customers and that's great