Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

The X-man cometh posted:

South Carolina and Louisiana is rice exports, right?

There is also soybeans and in Louisianas case oil and natural gas

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

The X-man cometh posted:

South Carolina and Louisiana is rice exports, right?
I could be wrong but I dont think SC does too much rice farming any more. It was huge in the 1800s but has tapered off if I remember correctly.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

I could be wrong but I dont think SC does too much rice farming any more. It was huge in the 1800s but has tapered off if I remember correctly.

The biggest rice grower in america is Arkansas.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

If you're an [water equivalent of the USA] fish. Completely erasing those filthy fresh-water fish.

Fell Fire
Jan 30, 2012

3D Megadoodoo posted:

If you're an [water equivalent of the USA] fish. Completely erasing those filthy fresh-water fish.

Those saltwater fish sure do swim up the Nile pretty well.

All that island experience and they still can't get the right size of Greenland.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

Had no idea fish were Afrocentric

Napoleon Nelson
Nov 8, 2012

These fish know a suspicious amount about the Sahara

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Napoleon Nelson posted:

These fish know a suspicious amount about the Sahara

Like aboriginal tribes with tales of antediluvian lands, fish pass mythic stories of the once-flooded Saharas down the many generations

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
https://www.opportunitylouisiana.gov/docs/default-source/International-Commerce-Docs/china-louisiana_links.pdf?sfvrsn=2

Louisiana exports “agricultural products” (soybeans are the biggest then rice, sugarcane, maybe cotton?)to China an order of magnitude more than the next runner up, copper. Louisiana and China have a bizarrely large amount of trade even by US-China and vice-versa standards.

Edgar Allen Ho fucked around with this message at 05:36 on Apr 8, 2023

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

Had no idea fish were Afrocentric

Humans came out of Africa.

Humans evolved from fish.

Ipso facto benedicto cucumbo, fish rose from the sea in Africa. Must've done a fair bit of walking around to find a good spot to lay human eggs.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

3D Megadoodoo posted:

Humans came out of Africa.

Humans evolved from fish.

Ipso facto benedicto cucumbo, fish rose from the sea in Africa. Must've done a fair bit of walking around to find a good spot to lay human eggs.
The science checks out.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Crossposting somebody's cool map.

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

There's also an interesting thing related to what the different tribes adopted as a word for these strange new horse things. The earliest adopters, who got their horses from the Spanish, used a variant of the Spanish word for horse and presumably passed that word on northwards. After that, however, it gets interesting.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

Lmao at the peoples who were like 'Look at these weird deer things fuckin FEET.'

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009
Ojibwe making it clear that horses are not Kosher to eat.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

SlothfulCobra posted:

Crossposting somebody's cool map.
This is interesting, but makes me want to put in some time to find out whether any of them had a concept of beast of burden.
It's not exactly a new thing - pretty much by definition they've been with us since we started domesticating animals.

EDIT: Well, this answers a few things.

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Buzzard, Who Steals From Dead Bodies
contrast:

europeans when encountering a new animal: "it must be from The Mysterious East"

americans when encountering a new animal: "weird dog. possibly a weird elk"

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Mister Olympus posted:

contrast:

europeans when encountering a new animal: "it must be from The Mysterious East"

americans when encountering a new animal: "weird dog. possibly a weird elk"

Portugal is Balkan confirmed.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

You can't handle the truthuhn!

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I like this one that points all the names to the places they describe.

Redeye Flight
Mar 26, 2010

God, I'm so tired. What the hell did I post last night?

BlankSystemDaemon posted:

This is interesting, but makes me want to put in some time to find out whether any of them had a concept of beast of burden.
It's not exactly a new thing - pretty much by definition they've been with us since we started domesticating animals.

EDIT: Well, this answers a few things.

Yep! Calling a horse a "dog" is less due to any physical resemblance and more due to the way horses were treated and the role they filled in society, which had pretty much been filled by dogs (at least as beasts of burden, hunting partners, companionship) before the spread of the horse. You can really see that in the Comanche and Cherokee words for horse. Those roles didn't completely go away for the dog, whose importance to basically every human society is huge, but once you have access to the horse, well, a horse is much better at handling burdens than a dog is.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

SlothfulCobra posted:

The East Asian ones are good and I can see how a lot of them come about. I had to look up the Japanese/Korean one though because it's obviously so different from the others. (It has to do with how colorful their heads/necks can get)

jeebus bob
Nov 4, 2004

Festina lente

SlothfulCobra posted:

Scots: Bubbly-jock

Fuckin lmao

King Hong Kong
Nov 6, 2009

For we'll fight with a vim
that is dead sure to win.

SlothfulCobra posted:

I wonder whether some of the “from India” etymologies are necessarily a direct reference to India as opposed to a reference to “the Indies” or borrowing from another language on the basis that one of the first Spanish words for the turkey was “from the Indies” (gallo/gallina de Indias). The Catalan word that is given is almost surely this.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

I squinted through the fine print at the bottom and yeah that's where it's from

King Hong Kong
Nov 6, 2009

For we'll fight with a vim
that is dead sure to win.

i say swears online posted:

I squinted through the fine print at the bottom and yeah that's where it's from

Ah, yeah, I see that in the other map. Still, it’s like that one map saying some city’s name means “whale’s vagina” or something when the direct reference is to someone’s name. Obviously “Indies” is itself ultimately a reference to India but putting the actual explanation in barely legible text considerably obscures the “reference.”

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"

jeebus bob posted:

Scots: Bubbly-jock

Fuckin lmao

I'm going to guess that is one of those "a my little pony fan created 90% of Scots Wikipedia" things

Offler
Mar 27, 2010

King Hong Kong posted:

I wonder whether some of the “from India” etymologies are necessarily a direct reference to India as opposed to a reference to “the Indies” or borrowing from another language on the basis that one of the first Spanish words for the turkey was “from the Indies” (gallo/gallina de Indias). The Catalan word that is given is almost surely this.

I like that all the Nordic countries went with a name that specifies which city in India the bird supposedly came from. It's like zooming in the map before guessing in Geoguesser to try to not lose a single point, and then getting 0 and seeing the map zoom all the way out to even be able to show you the correct spot in relation to your guess.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

Carbon dioxide posted:

Bilbo and Frodo & Sams journeys if it took place in the USA (to scale).

This makes perfect sense.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Offler posted:

I like that all the Nordic countries went with a name that specifies which city in India the bird supposedly came from. It's like zooming in the map before guessing in Geoguesser to try to not lose a single point, and then getting 0 and seeing the map zoom all the way out to even be able to show you the correct spot in relation to your guess.
The name is actually a misspelling of kàan kun (later Cancún) on the Yucatán Peninsula, where roams a species of turkey.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Rick posted:

This makes perfect sense.

Florida is definitely Mordor.

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Florida is definitely Mordor.

And the desolation of Smaug can definitely be found around Youngstown, Ohio

Owling Howl
Jul 17, 2019

Judgy Fucker posted:

And the desolation of Smaug can definitely be found around Youngstown, Ohio

Kansas City is the Shire?

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Owling Howl posted:

Lawrence is a little closer and it's basically full of Proudfeet

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

Owling Howl posted:

People on the East and West coasts think people in Kansas live in holes in the ground, soo

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Judgy Fucker posted:

People on the East and West coasts think people in Kansas live in holes in the ground, soo

that's mostly south dakota

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Judgy Fucker posted:

They do during tornado season.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

Judgy Fucker posted:

They literally did until like the depression