Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

qirex posted:

watching all of “worth it” taught me that truffles and gold leaf are the best way to get people to play comical prices for otherwise normal food

at least truffles are a food and aren't just something that may give you a surprise allergic reaction with no other benefit

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Casual Encountess
Dec 14, 2005

"You can see how they go from being so sweet to tearing your face off,
just like that,
and it's amazing to have that range."

Thunderdome Exclusive

qirex posted:

watching all of “worth it” taught me that truffles and gold leaf are the best way to get people to play comical prices for otherwise normal food

many folks also dont understand the purpose of a wine list for the restaurant

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
I love truffle oil :guinness:

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
theres like 5 kinds of truffles varying 100x in rarity and a fair bit by taste

mystes
May 31, 2006

bob dobbs is dead posted:

theres like 5 kinds of truffles varying 100x in rarity and a fair bit by taste
These loot box games are getting out of hand

Casual Encountess
Dec 14, 2005

just like that,

Thunderdome Exclusive

ill be real though i miss my one private social club job because they fed us like literal kings. i wake up some nights craving pheasant and thats not a joke.

i got to eat most of that tray of lamb lollipops because the rich people only wanted like 3. so i got to eat lobster and lamb and all kinds of sinful poo poo every night.

god i loving want some pheasant now.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

also $37 is probably what a burger costs in any nice hotel restaurant in midtown manhattan

fake edit:
THE PLAZA WAGYU BEEF SLIDER
maple smoked cheddar, brioche bun,
New York Steak pickles
$34

real edit: there is an actual exception

qirex fucked around with this message at 20:57 on Apr 12, 2023

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

the other great thing about truffle-containing products is reading the ingredients label and seeing the truffle content at like 0.05%

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Asymmetric POSTer posted:

the other great thing about truffle-containing products is reading the ingredients label and seeing the truffle content at like 0.05%

to be fair on that a little goes a long way with truffle. the burger in the picture will surely taste way way too much of it.

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

i'm ok with eating a $38 burger at a nice hotel in manhattan, but i'm not going to spend $22 for a burger and fries at 5 guys next to the outlet mall

Casual Encountess
Dec 14, 2005

just like that,

Thunderdome Exclusive

a lot of bougie food is dumb af but part of the reason i bartended in so many 5 star joints is so i could eat some top quality fuckin food and theres a ton of poo poo that is absolutely worth shelling out for if youre into really fuckin good food. and im not saying $800/person tasting menus either. theres a ton of really great food at the $40-60 pricepoint (and a LOT of garbage) but ill stan bougie foods because good caviar on a tiny cracker slaps

Internet Janitor
May 17, 2008

"That isn't the appropriate trash receptacle."
five guys burgers are way too wet and sloppy for my taste

they always come out as a soggy semi-spherical wad of meat and toppings, and the fries are practically mashed potatoes after a few minutes

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
yeah, i used to work at the horse track in my hometown cleaning the bar after 12th race, and there was so much food ordered and then left untouched b/c the betters lost and got mad and stormed out. we ate very well.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Casual Encountess posted:

a lot of bougie food is dumb af but part of the reason i bartended in so many 5 star joints is so i could eat some top quality fuckin food and theres a ton of poo poo that is absolutely worth shelling out for if youre into really fuckin good food. and im not saying $800/person tasting menus either. theres a ton of really great food at the $40-60 pricepoint (and a LOT of garbage) but ill stan bougie foods because good caviar on a tiny cracker slaps
yeah bougie food is fun occasionally but some of the worst meals I've ever eaten were at expensive places

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

not a big trufflehead. not worth the trouble for fresh, oils and such arent very good.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

ill be real though i miss my one private social club job because they fed us like literal kings. i wake up some nights craving pheasant and thats not a joke.

god i loving want some pheasant now.
some of the most delicious food i ever ate were the leftovers from an f500 board meeting that i had been dragooned into doing executive it event support for

that cannoli still haunts my dreams, sometimes

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

speaking of bougie food, i still want to try fresh wasabi. some day.

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice
one time, already drunk, i ordered a truffle martini. it was disgusting but i was so drunk that after finishing it i proceeded to immediately order and drink a second one.

i can't drink martinis anymore.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
truffle oil, basically without exception, is one isolated flavor component synthesized from corn. usually 2, 4-diapenthane

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

a medium-format picture of beeftweeter staring silently at the camera, a quizzical expression on his face
chocolate truffles are real good

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

Beeftrumper posted:

chocolate truffles are real good

truth

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
lol poor beef

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

qirex posted:

yeah bougie food is fun occasionally but some of the worst meals I've ever eaten were at expensive places

theres like a certain 'upper middle class' price point type of boring new american food restaurant and like 70% of these restaurants were always garbage, and 100% of them got markedly worse after the pandemic.

mystes
May 31, 2006

I think the truffle oil I tried wasn't synthetic and it was still the worst thing I've ever tasted in my life

I just added a tiny, tiny bit to mushroom risotto or something and it was so gross I nearly vomited and I had to throw it out

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

if you sit down at a restaurant with a menu that has the word 'elevated' on it and a $32 burger on a brioche bun its fuckin over for you.

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

remember when a $6 burger was considered high end

mystes
May 31, 2006

post hole digger posted:

if you sit down at a restaurant with a menu that has the word 'elevated' on it and a $32 burger on a brioche bun its fuckin over for you.
The burger on the last page was $37. That makes $32 seem almost reasonable

mystes
May 31, 2006

nudgenudgetilt posted:

remember when a $6 burger was considered high end
That was before a basic burger was $15 at even the cheapest sit-down restaurant

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

im here in yospos to barge into threads where i only vaguely know what people are talking about, if that, and start making annoying, unoriginal observations, not to read threads.

mystes
May 31, 2006

post hole digger posted:

im here in yospos to barge into threads where i only vaguely know what people are talking about, if that, and start making annoying, unoriginal observations, not to read threads.
I honestly thought you might just need new glasses

Casual Encountess
Dec 14, 2005

just like that,

Thunderdome Exclusive

qirex posted:

thats the thing. it stings more than when $8 chinese food sucks so i get people being averse but theres still gold out there

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

mystes posted:

I honestly thought you might just need new glasses

i do need new glasses too

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

i don't give a gently caress about truffles but i think it's cute that they get lil' pig buddies to sniff them out :3:

mystes
May 31, 2006

theres still gold out there
Yes but it's on top of the food

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Wikipedia posted:

Today, dogs—known as truffle hounds—are commonly used for gathering truffles in place of truffle hogs, as pigs have been known to eat too many truffles in the field.

aww pig buddy just wanted a taste to see what all the fuss was about :kimchi:

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

mystes posted:

That seems like a fairly convenient/affordable way to get a taste so maybe I'll try that, thanks

I fear that after tasting truffle oil that chemical has become something I just can't stand like the fake popcorn butter chemical so if it's at all detectable in real truffles I might still be grossed out though

i mean, truffles taste super earthy, the common characterization of "dirty sock flavor" is not entirely unfair. i kind of like them, but they are super easy to hate without it needing to be the circumstances of how you tried them.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

Internet Janitor posted:

five guys burgers are way too wet and sloppy for my taste

they always come out as a soggy semi-spherical wad of meat and toppings, and the fries are practically mashed potatoes after a few minutes
they're deffo doing it wrong then, the one I've been to here semi-regularly has been decent

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

it's amazing scientists haven't figured out how to grow some poo poo that comes out of one specific field in france literally anywhere else.

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

you can't get five guys to go, you have to eat it there otherwise it's been steamed to death by the time you get home

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Just let yourself become a worthless person!
I’ve had a tough time finding a really good burger in nyc, honestly, though I haven’t tried very hard either. I live right near Emily but afaik their burger, while well-regarded, uses a mayo-based sauce which is not something I’m really interested in