Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Kaddish posted:

Looks nice. I like smoking picanha too if you haven't tried that yet.

Definitely a favorite. Tri-tip, too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty
I just spent 10 hours smoking a pork butt.

I think the smoke ring looks good.

It tastes pretty good too.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Hell yea

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?

Annath posted:

I know it's probably only because it's the tip (side note: "Scherzerl", "Knorz", or "Buuzn" in my localspeak), but that is one pronounced smoke ring, goddamn.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
What's the difference between ham and pork butt

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

HootTheOwl posted:

Ham is the butt, butt is the shoulder

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug

Dango Bango posted:

Ham is the butt, butt is the shoulder

Reporting for thread title.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty

HootTheOwl posted:

Aside from the previously mentioned "what part of the animal do they come from", there are some other differences:

Pork (shoulder, chops, or loin) is sold fresh/untreated, while ham is cured (wet cure or dry cure)

While pork is generally any meat of the pig sold fresh, ham is pretty much only the thigh - the upper portion of the rear legs.

ZombieCrew
Apr 1, 2019
Speakin of ham. Anyone smoke fresh ham hocks before? One of my fav dishes at a local german restraunt is smokes ham hock with kraut. They serve a giant one. Not like the small ones you get at the grocery for soups.

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

Going to smoke some pork shoulder for my daughter’s birthday this weekend. Wanting to try doing it straight-up on my Weber kettle, wondering if it would be a good idea to baseline the temperature of the charcoal ahead of time, irt the Minion method, so I know how long it burns and at what temperature. Never done that before, but I’m understanding that it keeps a relatively steady temperature?

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

life is killing me posted:

Going to smoke some pork shoulder for my daughter’s birthday this weekend. Wanting to try doing it straight-up on my Weber kettle, wondering if it would be a good idea to baseline the temperature of the charcoal ahead of time, irt the Minion method, so I know how long it burns and at what temperature. Never done that before, but I’m understanding that it keeps a relatively steady temperature?

I find that on my Weber if I do a full slow n sear with a corner lit and close all the vents it holds -200 to 250 pretty reliably for 5 hours or so.

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

Murgos posted:

I find that on my Weber if I do a full slow n sear with a corner lit and close all the vents it holds -200 to 250 pretty reliably for 5 hours or so.

I don’t have a slow n sear, unfortunately. I’ve got a Weber Bluetooth thermometer to monitor the temperature, and I’ve got the charcoal briquettes to arrange in a snake or circle with a water pan in the space without the charcoal. Not sure whether to put wood chips on top and snake along over the charcoal so it’s always burning some, or to bury them in the charcoal.

Interesting that closing the vents doesn’t smother it?

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Was just informed that I'll be smoking a couple of briskets for my moms 70th bday party just under a month from now. Party is at 4pm on a Saturday, thinking I'll put them on the smoker around 9-10pm Friday night and let them ride in a cooler for however long until they are needed.

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

I don’t have a slow n sear, unfortunately. I’ve got a Weber Bluetooth thermometer to monitor the temperature, and I’ve got the charcoal briquettes to arrange in a snake or circle with a water pan in the space without the charcoal. Not sure whether to put wood chips on top and snake along over the charcoal so it’s always burning some, or to bury them in the charcoal.

Interesting that closing the vents doesn’t smother it?

If you have the charcoal baskets you can use one of those in lieu of the SnS. Otherwise you're on the right track. If it were me, I'd do a pile of unlit charcoal with a wood chunk in it and dump some lit coals on top.

When I smoked on my kettle I would have to have the bottom vents almost totally closed. Like barely, barely open just a sliver. And top vent half to fully open since it's easier to adjust.

Enos Cabell posted:

Was just informed that I'll be smoking a couple of briskets for my moms 70th bday party just under a month from now. Party is at 4pm on a Saturday, thinking I'll put them on the smoker around 9-10pm Friday night and let them ride in a cooler for however long until they are needed.

This is what I'd do too.

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

Dango Bango posted:

If you have the charcoal baskets you can use one of those in lieu of the SnS. Otherwise you're on the right track. If it were me, I'd do a pile of unlit charcoal with a wood chunk in it and dump some lit coals on top.

When I smoked on my kettle I would have to have the bottom vents almost totally closed. Like barely, barely open just a sliver. And top vent half to fully open since it's easier to adjust.

I don't have one of those, either. Maybe I'll have to pick one up. And as to the wood, it would make sense that one chunk would do the job since the butt wouldn't need much more smoke than that. I tend to forget sometimes that wood chips will burn a little too quickly and char over when adjacent to actively-burning coals. Luckily, even though I have mostly wood chips given that my MES uses them, I do have a bag of hickory chunks deep in my pantry that my sister got me a few years ago.

I'm used to controlling the temperature more with the bottom vent and not messing with the top, and I typically use the top vent to run a thermometer into the grill. I'll give your method a shot re: bottom and top vents.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty

Annath posted:

We ate this past Saturday, and it was fairly popular. I pulled it at 195F, but it didn't really shred. Ended up more as chopped BBQ than pulled.

Also, the smoke flavor wasn't as pronounced as I expected. Apparently that's something the Traeger smokers are notorious for. Next time I'll probably put it on the lowest temp setting for an hour or so before turning it up to 225F-250F and see if that helps.

The same session, I made smoked Mac and cheese, smoked baked beans, and I took a spiral cut ham, slathered it in Dijon mustard, and smoked that.

All of which turned out wonderful.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug
Glad it tastes good, excited to see your next attempt! You’re on the right track. BBQ is not done at a certain temp, it’s done when it’s done, which is sometimes somewhat close to a semi-consistent temp range.

Poke it with something sharp. If you feel very little resistance, you’re probably good.

Pellet smokers in general produce less smoke flavor than other methods, and Traegers specifically are the lowest of the bunch. Lower temp for longer will definitely help. You can also double up and run a smoke tube/maze inside at the same time for more smoke flavor.

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine

I'm used to controlling the temperature more with the bottom vent and not messing with the top, and I typically use the top vent to run a thermometer into the grill. I'll give your method a shot re: bottom and top vents.

Before I got my SnS I just piled unlit charcoal on one side and flattened the pile out a bit, kind of like a fat snake. The put a half dozen or so lit coals at one end. Worked well enough.

Regarding the vents, my experience is similar. Anything more than a crack on the lower vents will put the grill over 250. I typically start by putting the handle in line with the first vent hole on the ash catcher. The fourth hole roughly corresponds to the vents being fully open, and thanks to the geometry of the vent mechanism, 1/4 of the way open probably lets in less than 1/4 of the air.

E: I mainly use the bottom vent for all but fine tuning, but we are talking tiny movements for a 20-30 degree tweak.

Discussion Quorum fucked around with this message at 20:05 on Apr 12, 2023

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty

Doom Rooster posted:

Glad it tastes good, excited to see your next attempt! You’re on the right track. BBQ is not done at a certain temp, it’s done when it’s done, which is sometimes somewhat close to a semi-consistent temp range.

Poke it with something sharp. If you feel very little resistance, you’re probably good.

Pellet smokers in general produce less smoke flavor than other methods, and Traegers specifically are the lowest of the bunch. Lower temp for longer will definitely help. You can also double up and run a smoke tube/maze inside at the same time for more smoke flavor.

Yeah, in hindsight I got impatient lol. I'd worked that morning, and it was 10:30pm when I pulled it. It could have gone another 1-1.5 hours probably and been perfect, but I was super tired :v:

I should look into getting a smoke tube for sure. My brother has another pork butt in his freezer, so maybe I can convince him to donate it to the cause.

I have to smoke at my mom's house, since I live on a 3rd floor apartment :saddowns:

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

I was, too, but it's really hard to see how open the bottom vents are without taking the lid off. And if you're lookin', it ain't cookin'.

Should have mentioned that in my initial reply.

ada shatan
Oct 20, 2004

that'll do pig, that'll do

Dango Bango posted:

And if you're lookin', it ain't cookin'.

I know it's fun to say and all, but that's really not the case. The heat loss you experience is very brief and since you typically aren't leaving your lid open for prolonged periods of time it doesn't hurt to open the lid if you need to check grates/mop/add wood/whatever.

You may know this but some folks do not, so it doesn't hurt to repeat it.

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

Annath posted:

Yeah, in hindsight I got impatient lol. I'd worked that morning, and it was 10:30pm when I pulled it. It could have gone another 1-1.5 hours probably and been perfect, but I was super tired :v:

I should look into getting a smoke tube for sure. My brother has another pork butt in his freezer, so maybe I can convince him to donate it to the cause.

I have to smoke at my mom's house, since I live on a 3rd floor apartment :saddowns:

When it's taking to long and I'm over it I'll just wrap it and toss it in the oven for that last bit.

T-Square
May 14, 2009

Question for brisket resting in the oven: what temp and how long have you gone in there? I know I’ve heard of some people resting as long as 48 hours (which I’m not planning on)

I couldn’t pass up a 20lb Prime brisket for $70 and had no plans to smoke it so I just impulse bought it and threw it in the freezer, but I’d like to get that going for a dinner or something soon. Problem is I’m on a second floor balcony and don’t really want to let the pellet smoker run overnight un-supervised in case the worst happens, so I’m probably looking at like a 6AM to midnight smoke on this bad boy. Assuming I’d want to serve for dinner the next day, my oven’s Keep Warm setting only stays on for an hour, and I’m not waking up every hour to re-set it. Otherwise the lowest bake temp I can set it to is 170F. Can I toss that thing in there at 170 for like 10-12 hours?

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010
For the bottom vents I find that the Weber lets in enough air that if the coals are well lit initially they’re fine but of course you need to monitor it and if the temp is dipping then tap it open a sliver. Minor changes to the bottom vents have big impacts but I find that I can get moderate adjustments from manipulating the top vents while the bottom is closed. Like I said, it stays in range for me and my Webber. YMMV.

Going to try smoking some cream cheese this weekend, anyone have a good topping idea?

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Murgos posted:

Going to try smoking some cream cheese this weekend, anyone have a good topping idea?

When I did mine I put some olive oil over it and just used the same beef rub I had put on my brisket and it was 10/10.

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

F-F-FRIDAY NIGHT MOTHERFUCKERS

Anyone have a go-to chicken drumstick recipe? 14ish people over tommorow night, most from out of town, and I want to nail it

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005
Dear diary, I got another erection today at work. SO embarrassing, but kinda hot. The CO asked me to fix up his dress uniform. I had stayed late at work to move his badges 1/8" to the left and pointed it out this morning. 1SG spanked me while the CO watched, once they caught it. Tomorrow I get to start all over again...
I go as high as I can with indirect heat, maybe 350-400 F. I prefer dark meat to be slightly over 165 to avoid any pink meat in and around the bones and joints— this helps too if you have drumsticks. I like to wet brine them for like 6-8 hours prior to throwing them on and then hit them in some mix if garlic, paprika, pepper, and brown sugar.

Tbh as long as you don’t go under, you’re gonna be good. Drumsticks are super forgiving!

sinburger
Sep 10, 2006

*hurk*

T-Square posted:

Question for brisket resting in the oven: what temp and how long have you gone in there? I know I’ve heard of some people resting as long as 48 hours (which I’m not planning on)

I couldn’t pass up a 20lb Prime brisket for $70 and had no plans to smoke it so I just impulse bought it and threw it in the freezer, but I’d like to get that going for a dinner or something soon. Problem is I’m on a second floor balcony and don’t really want to let the pellet smoker run overnight un-supervised in case the worst happens, so I’m probably looking at like a 6AM to midnight smoke on this bad boy. Assuming I’d want to serve for dinner the next day, my oven’s Keep Warm setting only stays on for an hour, and I’m not waking up every hour to re-set it. Otherwise the lowest bake temp I can set it to is 170F. Can I toss that thing in there at 170 for like 10-12 hours?

I set mine at 150F and have kept them in the oven upwards of 20 hours. My oven seems to turn on and off to regulate temperature so it'll swing up to 20 degrees over the set temp.

170 would probably be fine if you render out some tallow to pour over and keep it wrapped in butcher paper. At that temperature you aren't cooking it any more, so your main risk is drying it out.

w00tmonger posted:

Anyone have a go-to chicken drumstick recipe? 14ish people over tommorow night, most from out of town, and I want to nail it

I like to dry brine my chicken 6-24 hours before hand. 50/50 salt and sugar, use about 0.5-1 tablespoon of that mix per pound of chicken. After that throw on whatever seasoning you want before cooking (minus the salt) .

I like to cook at 425 for at least 30 minutes, more if needed. It gets the skin crispy and the sugar helps brown it up. The salt brine makes the chicken taste great and helps keep it really moist.

sinburger fucked around with this message at 02:38 on Apr 14, 2023

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Chicken thigh recipes anyone? I’m using a pellet smoker so I can easily turn it up high enough at the end to crisp the skin.

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

Dark meat chicken - highly recommend using a Vortex and doing the "indirect-direct" method with it and a chunk of pecan wood over the coals.

Perfect for both smoking the chicken but also crisping up the skin.

T-Square
May 14, 2009

sinburger posted:

I set mine at 150F and have kept them in the oven upwards of 20 hours. My oven seems to turn on and off to regulate temperature so it'll swing up to 20 degrees over the set temp.

170 would probably be fine if you render out some tallow to pour over and keep it wrapped in butcher paper. At that temperature you aren't cooking it any more, so your main risk is drying it out.

Yeah that’s kinda my concern. Maybe I’ll just wrap the thing in towels and cooler it for 6 or 7 hours while I sleep, and then pop it in the oven on the Keep Warm setting during the day until serving time and re-set it every hour when it turns off.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?
I've decided it's time for a new thermometer. I've had the Thermopro TP-20C for several years, but I'm looking for multiple meat probes (while still being able to monitor pit temp), and want app-support and really really want to have data on the whole cook, ideally with the option to export it or somesuch.
Scrolled back in the thread a dozen or two pages and it looks like Inkbird may have what I'm looking for.

Initially thought about grabbing the IBT-4XS,

and then looked at the IBBQ-4BW because it has Wifi support

What I'm not entirely sure on is what the Wifi gives me over the 4XS model. Both can connect to apps, so I assume I can visualize the cooking temps over the whole cook, but the 4BW also uploads the "temporary data to the cloud" (?), which I'm not sure I need.

Anyone have experience with the 4BW?

crondaily
Nov 27, 2006

Dango Bango posted:

Dark meat chicken - highly recommend using a Vortex and doing the "indirect-direct" method with it and a chunk of pecan wood over the coals.

Perfect for both smoking the chicken but also crisping up the skin.

This is my go to also, absolutely dominant!

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

Duzzy Funlop posted:

I've decided it's time for a new thermometer. I've had the Thermopro TP-20C for several years, but I'm looking for multiple meat probes (while still being able to monitor pit temp), and want app-support and really really want to have data on the whole cook, ideally with the option to export it or somesuch.
Scrolled back in the thread a dozen or two pages and it looks like Inkbird may have what I'm looking for.

Initially thought about grabbing the IBT-4XS,

and then looked at the IBBQ-4BW because it has Wifi support

What I'm not entirely sure on is what the Wifi gives me over the 4XS model. Both can connect to apps, so I assume I can visualize the cooking temps over the whole cook, but the 4BW also uploads the "temporary data to the cloud" (?), which I'm not sure I need.

Anyone have experience with the 4BW?

Have you looked at the Fireboard/FB2? Check out my post history for some screenshots/data.

Edit: Holy poo poo, i have 6 pages of posts in this thread.

Here's a collection of my Fireboard related posts/images to save you the searching :)

toplitzin fucked around with this message at 18:51 on Apr 14, 2023

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

Ok so I've never calibrated my Weber Kettle wrt temperature. Do I really need to do this before smoking a pork shoulder tomorrow? I've never smoked on the thing, but it's a pork shoulder which is really forgiving, and all I've researched seems to indicate that the Minion method, with or without charcoal baskets, will hold steady between 225 and 250 with the vents properly positioned.

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

Ok so I've never calibrated my Weber Kettle wrt temperature. Do I really need to do this before smoking a pork shoulder tomorrow? I've never smoked on the thing, but it's a pork shoulder which is really forgiving, and all I've researched seems to indicate that the Minion method, with or without charcoal baskets, will hold steady between 225 and 250 with the vents properly positioned.

If you're referring to the thermometer on the lid, don't use that unless it's all you've got. It's way off in the first place and even if it was accurate, it's measuring the temp at the lid versus where the meat is.

Kenji has a video where he smokes a pork shoulder on his kettle and IIRC he doesn't monitor temp. He just goes by time and feel. Pork butt is forgiving enough for that.

T-Square
May 14, 2009

WELP stopped in the grocery store on lunch to get some 00 Flour for pizza tonight, and they had BOGO bone-in pork butts so I guess I got some smoking and vacuum sealing to do this weekend!

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

T-Square posted:

WELP stopped in the grocery store on lunch to get some 00 Flour for pizza tonight, and they had BOGO bone-in pork butts so I guess I got some smoking and vacuum sealing to do this weekend!

It is always great to find a deal unexpectedly, just makes the whole day better

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

Dango Bango posted:

If you're referring to the thermometer on the lid, don't use that unless it's all you've got. It's way off in the first place and even if it was accurate, it's measuring the temp at the lid versus where the meat is.

Kenji has a video where he smokes a pork shoulder on his kettle and IIRC he doesn't monitor temp. He just goes by time and feel. Pork butt is forgiving enough for that.

Not necessarily the thermometer on the lid because mine is the most basic kettle grill and doesn't have one. I'm talking more about calibrating it in regards to sticking a temperature probe down toward the grates and seeing what degree of vent opening/closing allows for what temperature. I was thinking a ball of foil with the probe stuck through it, sitting on the grates (I've got a Weber bluetooth temperature probe).

I'll check out the Kenji video, love him. I use his sous-vide-then-finish-on-smoker recipe a lot for pulled pork, just want to do something different this time and try honest-to-god smoking it rather than using my MES or my sous-vide to fully cook it first. I'm not really getting as much smoke flavor from the MES as I'd like, though I still really love using it; I just want to have another method in my repertoire, and a more pure one at that.

Mainly I'm worried about (re: temperature) the temperature being too low or too high when I do the Minion method, and I've got people to feed this weekend. Of course I could just go ahead and do my tried-and-true method to be more reasonably assured it'll turn out, but I'm banking on the forgiveness of the pork shoulder and the amount of smoke flavor I'll get after it's sat in the kettle for hours on end.

e: As for my gas grill, it does have a thermometer on the lid, but I don't trust it at all, and I use an oven thermometer in there instead.
e2: I do intend to also smoke a bunch of kosher salt at the same time, but I'm going to do that in my MES. I've done that before and it turned out well, it's nice to have smoky salt to put on whatever.

life is killing me fucked around with this message at 23:01 on Apr 14, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dog Faced JoJo
Oct 15, 2004

Woof Woof

I bought what is essentially a prize box of pork from my butcher today, and I think one of the items is a ~5 lb bone in pork sirloin roast. I was initially going to treat it like a pork shoulder due to the amount of connective tissue, but I don't think that's correct anymore. Anyone have any experience try to slow cook something like this?