Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
It reminds me a bit of how ProMod made Call of Duty 4's textures super washed out and detail-less to facilitate competitive play. It's fine as a niche product but part of the appeal of Civ 2 and 3 for me is how pretty everything looks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Harveygod posted:

He still posts to YouTube a lot. Also, when there is a big tournament and he co-casts with somebody I end up watching the co-caster's Twitch stream.

I wish he was back on but I understand why. He's in his 20s and has essentially bet his whole financial life on broadcasting a 25-year-old game. If that income ever suddenly stops he won't have any marketable skills to do anything else.

Ya I remember when he did the announcement he said he would be set for life and he is apparently also helping out his parents. So I can't blame the guy for the taking the bag, he rode the best years of Twitch ad revenue during the pandemic and got the offer at the his market peak. He could have bet on himself but honestly you never know, Twitch did change their revenue split, maybe the game would have fallen off(although I think at this point it's safe to say it won't).

It sucks because he definitely was the best content creator for AoE2, I still watch his youtube videos and try to watch some FB vods but the quality isn't even as good as Twitch from what I noticed. I've seen him and Dave stream the same match, Dave will have much higher bitrate. It definitely was a wholesome vibe to be in his chat, the aoe2 community in general is super chill so it was one of the few Twitch chats I didn't mind.

Harveygod
Jan 4, 2014

YEEAAH HEH HEH HEEEHH

YOU KNOW WHAT I'M SAYIN

THIS TRASH WAR AIN'T GONNA SOLVE ITSELF YA KNOW
NAC IV finals are now:

https://www.twitch.tv/nili_aoe

e: Holy poo poo the end of that last game lol.

Harveygod fucked around with this message at 22:32 on Mar 19, 2023

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

https://twitter.com/AgeOfEmpires/status/1644389609097265178

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys
Old Kingdom Egypt can access the unique unit "dude with no armour and a small bent piece of bronze for a weapon"

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

Apparently it's a port of AoE1 into AoE2, but we haven't had any more details. Pretty cool offering for the singleplayer crowd

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Farms that don't block movement?????????? In MY AoE1????????????????

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Tree Bucket posted:

Old Kingdom Egypt can access the unique unit "dude with no armour and a small bent piece of bronze for a weapon"

So, the Ethiopian Shotel Warrior?

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

aniviron posted:

Remember when the Rise of Rome expansion added the ability to queue units for creation??? Such power. I remember assigning training buildings to hotkeys and mashing like 1+s, 2+s, 3+s, 1+s, 2+s, ... to build a bunch of soldiers since they didn't have queues in AoE1.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

aniviron posted:

AoE 1 DE already has that, actually. Auto-reseed, too.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

I have been missing out, I guess. I love the idea of AoE1 with its classical setting, but AoE2's mechanics are so much superior that I haven't touched it in forever.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
It's so clearly dated that I can enjoy it again as a nostalgic experience from time to time. The DE gives the worst of both worlds by stripping away a lot of what made it nostalgic but not actually modernizing more than a few of the mechanics. Kinda ridiculous but I bought the DE twice and still find myself going to the HD patch for the disc version anyway when I want to play.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
I wish they wouldn't add new achievements until the expo drops. Is there a particular reason to do this, ie drum up interest?

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Man I loved playing aoe1 back in the day. I was a fiend at horse archer wars and Minoan wars lmao

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
New event out, no update though

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?
Wonder when the Age Of Mythology DE is coming out since that was announced a while ago

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

They can take as long as they want with that cause I want it to be flawless :pray:

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys
The main thing they need to do for AoM,
The one really important essential crucial thing,
is fix that infuriating quirk of animation where the flying creatures move down when their wings go down and up when their wings go up. I demand accurate aerial mechanics in my fantasy magic dragon game.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015
IF they include the Chinese... everything about them and their campaign needs to be completely scrapped and redone from the ground up. No question.

Negostrike
Aug 15, 2015

I won't be surprised if they just pretend that expansion DLC just never existed

Minenfeld!
Aug 21, 2012

Let's add Hindu pantheon.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Minenfeld! posted:

This would kick so much rear end.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

BlazetheInferno posted:

IF they include the Chinese... everything about them and their campaign needs to be completely scrapped and redone from the ground up. No question.

Have these games ever not done the chinese dirty on the campaign front? I haven't played 3 or 4 or even myth for that matter. As far as I remember there's only one chinese mission in all of 2 DE... and it's not a good one in the least

Orv
May 4, 2011
It’s not exactly the campaign but Chu-ko-nu own so hard that it makes up for a lot.

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Minenfeld! posted:

I'm honestly surprised they didn't add either them or Shintoism, considering they're the two polytheistic religions that are still around in a major capacity

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
I feel like them still being core parts of many peoples' beliefs is exactly why we won't get them. I'd love either but I kinda doubt MS will want to touch that can of worms.

Milo and POTUS posted:

Have these games ever not done the chinese dirty on the campaign front? I haven't played 3 or 4 or even myth for that matter. As far as I remember there's only one chinese mission in all of 2 DE... and it's not a good one in the least

Haven't played it in absolutely ages but I remember enjoying the Chinese campaign in 3 the most out of the campaigns in that expansion. It is about the completely discredited 1421 "China went to the Americas before Columbus" thing and kinda sucks it gave that more publicity, but considering AoE3's theme it did work pretty well in context.
Chinese civs in 3 and 4 are some of my favorites come to think of it, too.

Really hoping China will get the same treatment as India in 2 though, and not just for the non-ethnically Chinese states. Beyond just the non-Han Jurchens, Khitans, Tibetans, Uyghurs -- the Tang / Song / Ming all had pretty different roots too, and their cores were in pretty different spaces (and what the core area of "China" even was changed a lot between 500 and 1500). Maybe they couldn't be as fractured as Europe, but you could easily represent a dozen more civs in the region and I think deserves to see at least a few of those.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

Technowolf posted:

I'm honestly surprised they didn't add either them or Shintoism, considering they're the two polytheistic religions that are still around in a major capacity

Unfortunately I think that's why they didn't add them.

Personally my preferences would be for Mesopotamian and Mesoamerican pantheons, and they both must be called that just to be extra annoying when people try to talk about them.

Koramei posted:

Really hoping China will get the same treatment as India in 2 though, and not just for the non-ethnically Chinese states. Beyond just the non-Han Jurchens, Khitans, Tibetans, Uyghurs -- the Tang / Song / Ming all had pretty different roots too, and their cores were in pretty different spaces (and what the core area of "China" even was changed a lot between 500 and 1500). Maybe they couldn't be as fractured as Europe, but you could easily represent a dozen more civs in the region and I think deserves to see at least a few of those.

The issue is that AOE tends not to go too hard for civs that broken up by time rather than things like ethnicity and location, like the Franks are meant to represent everything from the initial Frankish warbands under the likes of Clovis all the way to the Early Renaissance Kingdom of France about to enter the Italian wars. I think that AOE4 made a good stab at trying to represent the medieval Chinese dynasties a bit, but for any future East Asia DLC for AOE2 I'd much rather Jurchens, Tibetans and possibly Tanguts or something to represent the medieval Yunnan kingdoms of Nanzhao or Dali.

khwarezm fucked around with this message at 01:44 on Apr 14, 2023

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

BlazetheInferno posted:

I never tried that expansion. Was it really that bad?

Orv
May 4, 2011

Tree Bucket posted:

China doesn’t have any of the very intentional weaknesses the original civs have built into them. Even Atlanteans have an inbuilt weakness of falling off hard in late running games. Couple that with the expansion adding a unit to each civ that basically ignores or cancels out their weaknesses against other civs and it’s a pretty laughable addition from any kind of balance perspective.

The campaign is also just not interesting, whereas I still think about the vanilla AoM campaign on the regular and the entire expansion was buggy beyond belief.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

Koramei posted:

I feel like them still being core parts of many peoples' beliefs is exactly why we won't get them. I'd love either but I kinda doubt MS will want to touch that can of worms.

Haven't played it in absolutely ages but I remember enjoying the Chinese campaign in 3 the most out of the campaigns in that expansion. It is about the completely discredited 1421 "China went to the Americas before Columbus" thing and kinda sucks it gave that more publicity, but considering AoE3's theme it did work pretty well in context.
Chinese civs in 3 and 4 are some of my favorites come to think of it, too.

Well, you might be in luck. I remember that they said something like 'We heard how much you liked what we did with Dynasties of India so stay tuned for more on that front' during one of the Coming Up sections in patch notes from late last year, and China is by far the best and most likely candidate for that sort of treatment.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015

Tree Bucket posted:

It's poorly balanced, the update from the studio that made it actively made the game's optimization worse, the campaign's plot makes no loving sense, is poorly designed, and broken and buggy as poo poo and no attempt has ever been made to fix any of it.

There is a mod out there that outright replaces the Chinese with an Aztec civilization and mythology, I presume almost entirely out of spite. I have not looked at the mod myself to see.

Minenfeld!
Aug 21, 2012

Azran posted:

Well, you might be in luck. I remember that they said something like 'We heard how much you liked what we did with Dynasties of India so stay tuned for more on that front' during one of the Coming Up sections in patch notes from late last year, and China is by far the best and most likely candidate for that sort of treatment.

Comedy option: They split up the Franks and the Teutons.

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Minenfeld! posted:

Split up the Vikings into Norwegians, Danes, and Swedes

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Minenfeld! posted:

You mean we'll finally get the Burgundians?

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

aniviron posted:

You mean we'll finally get the Burgundians?

And the Bohemians!

Minenfeld!
Aug 21, 2012

First dev diary: The Palatinate.

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

the septarchy is back baby awooooooooo

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys
The slice of Byzantium owned by Venice following the fouth crusade will finally be recognised with its unique unit (treacherous envoy) and unique building (treachery mill.)
In the castle age they can research their unique tech, Treachery, which grants +33% to Treachery

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

How does the last "challenge" work for the purposes of obtaining it? Not sure how 3 unique units with different fabric icons even works, is it just, train 50 units of each unique unit in a game?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

biscuits and crazy
Oct 10, 2012
No, its pick a civ with a UU that has fabrics of 3 different colours on its icon, then training 50 of that unit. Ethiopian Shotel Warriors work, they're how I got it.