Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Less Fat Luke
May 23, 2003

Exciting Lemon

Ice Fist posted:

Hey maybe having one of the key sectors of the expansion be a hazard trap with pretty narrow safety lanes wasn't the best idea. It's not the end of the world, but it's definitely annoying. Autopilot is pretty good at getting you through it, but it's not perfect and if you're passing through Sanctuary of Darkness you have to be paying attention.
Yeah it's dumb. I just use any M class ship and travel drive straight from gate to get, let those service crew earn their keep.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

pretense is my co-pilot

well its not like boron have anything else to do with their shields

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Ice Fist posted:

Hey maybe having one of the key sectors of the expansion be a hazard trap with pretty narrow safety lanes wasn't the best idea. It's not the end of the world, but it's definitely annoying. Autopilot is pretty good at getting you through it, but it's not perfect and if you're passing through Sanctuary of Darkness you have to be paying attention.

So, there's two hazards in sanctuary of darkness, there's the constant damage fields which the autopilot will get you past, and there's the random lightning which appears to strike anywhere in the sector at rare intervals. The lightning isn't a threat as long as your ship has enough shield capacity, but do not get out of your ship under any circumstance, not even to collect the container hidden at the northeast, because you'll explode at random.

Ragnar Gunvald
May 13, 2015

Cool and good.
It feels like they turn off the environment effects for the mission where you build the highway in that system too. Not once did I have any problems with AOE damage clouds or lightning while doing that mission.

It's still kinda annoying even after the highway is built because it still takes ages to autopilot around that system. I don't like the way it's designed at all.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

nnnooo I think they absolutely still have them on, I ate poo poo a couple of times trying to do that.

Dude Sweet
Jul 26, 2010
Generally it seems like the trick is to stay on the red cells on the map, as on my first start I followed the southwest-most trail towards the gate and was totally fine the whole way along.
But on my second start, the final red stretch :goatse: towards the gate wasn't protected at all and I needed to use the north-most trail on that start, which only had a very small damage zone right before the gate.

I wonder if exact hazard zone placement varies with the starting seed for the game?

Some of the time you can tell when you veer into the AOE damage zones as there's a large sphere of blue-white clouds that appears around you, through the nebula.
Which reminds me of the gas clouds in Freelancer sometimes having an gas-free sphere inside, with maybe a station or large asteroid in the middle. Discovering those was so cool.
That and the mine-filled areas with a clear cut passage through them.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

Dude Sweet posted:

Some of the time you can tell when you veer into the AOE damage zones as there's a large sphere of blue-white clouds that appears around you, through the nebula.
Which reminds me of the gas clouds in Freelancer sometimes having an gas-free sphere inside, with maybe a station or large asteroid in the middle. Discovering those was so cool.
That and the mine-filled areas with a clear cut passage through them.

Oh man, yeah you're right about that - those were cool moments! I'd forgotten about that game. I wish they'd remaster Freelancer, since that was a great game

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

I love as a player feeling my empire grow from nothing. I'm still early and making peanuts, but when you first get something like a couple of miners going and the passive income begins to roll in it feels awesome.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

It's cool to see the fleets moving together in close formation and close to stations, don't think they did that so well before the patch. Squad of four destroyers patrolling the teladi HQ.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Ragnar Gunvald posted:

It feels like they turn off the environment effects for the mission where you build the highway in that system too. Not once did I have any problems with AOE damage clouds or lightning while doing that mission.

I lost my med ship because I assumed that "attack with your friends" meant "attack", not "wait 5 minutes for the XL capship to get into position before attacking". Moderately irritated, I got into my Syn and finished that part off, but the next part of the quest had a "dock on the XL" quest objective.

"If your ship is too large to dock, you can get out in your space suit and fly over!", the game helpfully reminded me.

Anyways yeah you can absolutely still get lighting zapped during that mission.

William Bear
Oct 26, 2012

"That's what they all say!"
Just had my first major bug of 6.00. For some reason, a squad of Terran destroyers (not pirates) started attacking my stations, even though I'm +20 with them.

I downloaded the "apologize for attacking" mod and used it, so now everything is good, but I wonder what it was about my factory that pissed off a Syn and 4 Osakas.

Ragnar Gunvald
May 13, 2015

Cool and good.
I've just downloaded the friendly fire tweaks because the Boron kept getting pissed at me for shooting ka'aak and my turrets missing and hitting a carrier.

The same carrier that now parked in the AOE clouds and a bug stops me getting into the cockpit of my ship.

So I've sent it away, only for it to almost blow up..hopefully when I fix it and bring it back I can get onboard.

Edit: one of the Boron persons of Interest was guarding the carrier in a fighter too and just blew up. Hopefully they're not important to a later quest!

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

William Bear posted:

Just had my first major bug of 6.00. For some reason, a squad of Terran destroyers (not pirates) started attacking my stations, even though I'm +20 with them.

I downloaded the "apologize for attacking" mod and used it, so now everything is good, but I wonder what it was about my factory that pissed off a Syn and 4 Osakas.

Did you build in terran claimed space and not pay the plot tax?

William Bear
Oct 26, 2012

"That's what they all say!"

OwlFancier posted:

Did you build in terran claimed space and not pay the plot tax?

No. I thought it might be that, so I checked every plot and they all say "fee paid".

The stations are unarmed, so it couldn't have been friendly fire, either. And my ships are all set to comply with police.

:iiam:

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Are there good streamers of X4? This game looks like my kind of crazy (thanks to BSD for pointing me at it) but I’d like to absorb some context in the background a bit while I’m waiting for a chance to sit down and seriously play. I watched one starter video by a guy who was celebrating 100 subscribers, but maybe there’s someone more polished out there.

Less Fat Luke
May 23, 2003

Exciting Lemon
Captain Collins is pretty good:
https://www.twitch.tv/captaincollins

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Thanks!

Ragnar Gunvald
May 13, 2015

Cool and good.

Subjunctive posted:

Are there good streamers of X4? This game looks like my kind of crazy (thanks to BSD for pointing me at it) but I’d like to absorb some context in the background a bit while I’m waiting for a chance to sit down and seriously play. I watched one starter video by a guy who was celebrating 100 subscribers, but maybe there’s someone more polished out there.

So, one of the reasons I've restarted a bunch so far in the last few days, is that I'm looking to do my first ever let's play as it's something I've always wanted to try my hand at.

I've got an idea on how to make things a bit different and stand out, on top of me being pretty new to game/franchise if I'm honest.

I've just condensed 4 hours of footage down to about 1.5 and tomorrow I'm planning to try and get it down to under an hour as I still have a bunch of useless stuff in there.

Once I've got this first one done, I want to do it in a long format with minimal editing so people can point poo poo out to me and also learn from my cocking it up too. I'll post a link once it's done with some more details explaining my plan as I'm a little fried right now as it's 4am.

However if you want something more polished etc, again CPT Collins seems quite decent and that's who's I've mainly watched for up to date stuff.

Cohhcarnage has his old streamVODs up for him last playthrough too but that's a little old at this point.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
Apparently as part of their Steam Deck work Egosoft implemented on the fly switching between keyboard and gamepad button prompts in the UI. So far, so good.

Except for me, who was going crazy because of rapidly flickering button prompts everywhere. Because I left my HOTAS plugged in and one of its sliders was rapidly oscillating between values, causing X4 to immediately go into gamepad mode, then I would move the mouse a little bit and it would change all prompts again, and so on…

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

The game can be very pretty sometimes.

Ragnar Gunvald
May 13, 2015

Cool and good.

OwlFancier posted:

The game can be very pretty sometimes.

Yes it can. I'm genuinely impressed with the new look in 6.0. I wish one day egosoft manage to do a similar pass on their character models and animations though.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

You should see what they looked like in X3 :v:

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Subjunctive posted:

I'll echo the recommendation for CohhCarnage - he's got a lot of time in X3 back in the day, and has at least a few playthroughs of X4 scenarios.

Also, :tipshat:

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

Ragnar Gunvald posted:

I wish one day egosoft manage to do a similar pass on their character models and animations though.

Honestly I think the boron are pretty well done. But yeah the rest of the characters are pretty :stare:

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

OwlFancier posted:

You should see what they looked like in X3 :v:

Honestly, I really wish the cockpit 'thumbnails' when pilots comm'd you were in X4. I loved those - I still use the perfect Teladi pirate one as my Steam pic, even! :D

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Well now that the Boron are here I guess it’s finally time to get back into this.

Apparently they heavily nerfed asteroid crystal mining , so what’s a good method of early cash generation for someone doing a classic 5k+Discoverer start?

Something that isn’t going around scooping up set-spawn abandoned ships, I’ve never liked doing that.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
Crystals to buy a miner, let it mine nvidium that you hawk to trade stations, then more miners to mine silicon. Then I usually build a trade station for mining, because it lets miners sell much further out with a seminar or two for the manager.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I found nividium yields to be woeful on my current start so I got more money out of just mining ore and silicon in grand exchange, plenty of places that will buy it and all three subsectors count as the same sector for range limit purposes.

Solar power plants also pretty much print money there too, plenty of things that need ecells and you start with everything needed to build one, absent the cash, but they aren't much more expensive than miners and you can transition it into an actual production station later too.

The scrapping system from tides of avarice can be relatively lucrative too, a good towable wreck can net you between 100/150k at the scrapper, although you're hindered by places that will take the wrecks. You can fish piles of them out of the northernmost sector of silent witness which is full of debris, and ocean of fantasy also has a wreck field in it on the east side, but you have to tow them back to either the avarice system which likes to blow up the tugs, or in my game at least there was a teladi scrap processor in the sector before ianamus zura on the highway loop, forget the name of it, northeast section of the loop. But it is very finnicky about accepting trades, I think it's overloaded with scrappers and they keep reserving it for deliveries. Seems like it would be a very good option for early development though as you can make all your own station materials that way.

A number of the mission chains will give you free ships too. You get one from the boron missions and the HAT still give you a nice callisto sentinel for free on their first mission.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Oh I forgot about scrapping, is there a way to integrate it into your shipyard loops? I haven't really gone into Avarice yet

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

It produces hull parts and claytronics so you could just ship the hull parts to your shipyard.

The way they're set up it's kinda like mining battlefields except you can only use medium miners, the large ships cut up bigger wrecks using drones and poo poo out cubes for the medium tugs to bring to the scrapper.

So you really want the scrapper to be as close as possible to the wreck generation sites. Although you can drag wrecks through gates and even the highway no problem. It's just that the tugs aren't very fast compared to a good L miner so you spend an awful lot of time with them in transit.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 19:49 on Apr 15, 2023

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Cool thanks, I own the one scrap sector I guess so I can just set up there and fiddle around once I buy blueprints

It's not like the entire galaxy doesn't have infinite demand for those two things lol

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Yeah that's the thing, if you went for scrap processing as your first investment you can literally self produce 100% of the materials you need for stations by salvaging wrecks, so at that point you're just limited by throughput.

It does use a huge amount of power though, so if you were to set up in ocean of fantasy you would need to ship in power from elsewhere as that sector has bad sun.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

So I started an Untested explorer start, you know, the classic 5k credits + Disco, and apparently I can't do the player HQ questline anymore? the Boron expansion seems to have Boso Ta just jump the player HQ right to Heretics End immediately?

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

Im excited to get into a new game but waiting for VRO to update first. Maybe I'll try unlocking the Boron start in the meantime.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I've liberated the Yaki! It wasn't really worth it lmao. Do not attempt this without a shitload more fighter screens than you think you need, Asgards alone really just cannot do it. Watching the fleet go in live stream view in safety was pretty nice too lol (less nice was watching the Asgards routinely miss Is with the laser beam, but oh well). At one point the Terrans even showed up to reinforce me! That was the second bloodiest battle after the total wipeout I had the first time. Matrix 79b is awash in blood, but that last push finally broke the Xenon's back and my remaining forces swept through unchallenged. In the end I had eight Asgards, two Syns, two Tokyos with 40 Kukris and 25 Katanas, and a Nomad Vanguard to resupply. I don't think I lost any Osakas but most stayed in Savage Spur II to secure against raids after I took it for resources. In total there were 20 battleships that pushed forward in three waves (not all died, four or five stayed behind to secure station construction sites, but the rest were wiped out), four Syns, a Tokyo, 60 Kukris, 40 Katanas, two more Nomads (stop charging the Is you morons), a Falx wing, and whatever the initial push into Savage Spur II cost me last year. It was a lot of fun!

I control over half the galaxy now though. My battleships and defense stations are everywhere and peace reigns, except for the southern realm of the TRI, who is at war with everyone for reasons that definitely have nothing to do with me

e: Lol I just noticed that completing Heart for Pirates doesn't even give the Yaki the sector. Mine now too I guess

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 03:27 on Apr 16, 2023

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

The Yaki explicitly don't claim sectors.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Taerkar posted:

The Yaki explicitly don't claim sectors.

I know, but I was hoping that when the mission said it'd open up new markets it'd make them a psuedo faction or just give them SS1. I didn't really think it'd do literally nothing lol

Still, just dangling it's what I needed to get me to do anything, so it did its job. All I need in an sandbox is an objective, no matter how vague :v:

e: Lol the Terrans appear to be hauling rear end over to wipe them out now, even though I told them they're no threat. Probably just shouldn't have said anything :haw:

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 03:35 on Apr 16, 2023

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

pretense is my co-pilot

how do you even start the yaki plot?

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

TheDeadlyShoe posted:

how do you even start the yaki plot?

It's an extension/follow-on to the Terran militia (or whatever the group is called) mission chain in Getsu Fune

EDIT: Tagged just in case anyone doesn't want to know

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Ah I forgot the pain of waiting for deliveries to wharves to get your ship(s) built/upgraded...