Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
been playing jedi knight 2 on pico since saturday morning, it's so fuckin good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

When people here were wondering why Vertigo 2 had wacky edgy swearing for no discernible reason, I was trying to remember what other VR game it was that was doing that. It was Gambit.

Both games have a case of Borderland-itis

Bondematt
Jan 26, 2007

Not too stupid

Truga posted:

been playing jedi knight 2 on pico since saturday morning, it's so fuckin good

...do you have access to the console in this?

Cause

HelpUsObi 1
And
g_saberRealisticCombat 9

better work.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

I finished Vertigo 2. It's really an impressive game given that when you see the credits, you see "Code, Art, Sound, Music, Story" all credited to a single dev. Still, as impressive as it is from that Renaissance man perspective, from a realistic pov it would have been a better game for the consumers with 3 or 4 devs instead of one, the dude has a limit. Maybe with the money of this game he can hire a few people for the next one.
The game has some cool boss fights and some chaotic, intense combat set pieces. He really likes to put AI fights where two factions fight between them. While that's good, I'm still split in my opinion the combat, in fact in the last levels I was kinda wishing to reach the end already, as ultimately it feels a bit flat.
It's also decently hard, some of the last level fights make you sweat bullets, and some of the boss fights are directly frustrating and need many attempts.

One pet peeve I forgot to mention before, it annoys me how the game dims your view as a warning of having low health, even when you are at 50% health (and you are at that threshold a lot, as that's up to what you regen). In other words, that means you are in that state a lot.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

What's the best headset on the market right now, and is there any upcoming headsets worth waiting for or should I jump into the VR ecosystem as is?

I've been putting off on getting a headset for months. Might as well wait a few more if there's the biggest, best headset coming out soon™

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Qubee posted:

What's the best headset on the market right now, and is there any upcoming headsets worth waiting for or should I jump into the VR ecosystem as is?

I've been putting off on getting a headset for months. Might as well wait a few more if there's the biggest, best headset coming out soon™

PC VR or standalone VR?

The candidates are imo
-Pico 4 now (but it has a limited store)
-Wait for Quest 3 later this year
-Bigscreen Beyond but is too expensive ($1000 + base stations + controllers)

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Turin Turambar posted:

-Bigscreen Beyond but is too expensive ($1000 + base stations + controllers)

I looked this up and you literally can't order one without a recent iPhone because their face scanning app needs it.

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica

KillHour posted:

I looked this up and you literally can't order one without a recent iPhone because their face scanning app needs it.

do you need to use the iPhone continuously or just to set it up the first time?

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Jokerpilled Drudge posted:

do you need to use the iPhone continuously or just to set it up the first time?

The latter. They said you can use a web app thingie, so you can use an iPhone in a demo kiosk at an Apple store.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

KillHour posted:

You can order just fine without an iPhone. You only need one once for ~2 minutes to do the scan, links for which will apparently go out closer to shipping.

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Early work on a CRYSIS VR mod, looks promising - M&KB or Joypad controls for now, but who knows if they can get the full motion controller experience up and ruining in the future:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7A_clNQEBTM

The github is here if you want to give it a shot:

https://github.com/fholger/crysis_vrmod

You'll need a hefty CPU to run at acceptable framerates etc, I think in the video the fellow says Crysis 1 was a single-threaded app so its just brute-forcing it with a high-end CPU.

housemaster!!1
Oct 6, 2015

DUNT 4GEHT 2 FLAAHP UR ARRMAZ

housemaster!!1 posted:

Currently I'm playing Chaos;Head, a visual novel from the Science Adventure franchise, on my Quest 2 via AirPlay and SteamVR and really liking it so far. Sure, its 2D, but the immersion is much better than playing it on my TV. Next I wanna play the game via Big Screen Beta in a japanese school classroom. I just bought the headset and this is the first time I ever experienced VR, but I really really like it.

Unfortunately my eyes start hurting after 30 minutes but I guess thats normal since I have a TV 1cm in front of my eyes.

Alright, my experience after one week in the virtual reality:
It's addictive and I don't have motion sickness at all anymore. After about 3 sessions (30 minutes, 1 hour, 2 hours) I think my brain got used to it and stopped reacting with dizziness and nausea. I've had the most fun with VRChat so far because we've been able to try all kinds of things there. Swinging between huge platforms with grappling hooks, trying to fly helicopters and crashing (the feeling when you expect your legs to break...), MarioKart 64 in VR. All very cool experiences.

To fully melt with the virtual world, all I really need is an MMORPG. I tried Zenith, but unfortunately it's hardly being played anymore and is also quite repetitive, especially in the later levels. I wish some triple-a studio would eventually release Sword Art Online as a VMMORPG (not like the anime, of course, but well-designed). I don't think I would play anything else.

Really, I find it really hard not to play VR in the evening after work. VR is the best that happened to me since Rome: Total War and that one time I had a girlfriend.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Stupid Meta, their cloud save backup system still doesn't work as good as it should. When I RMA'ed my Quest 2, and I got a new one, it seems I lost my current saves of a few games, in one of them I lost a week of progress.

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

Wheezle posted:

This will be due to the recent release of the Bonelab Fusion multiplayer mod.

How does it handle people using custom models in the game? That was a big selling point of Bonelab

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.

Turin Turambar posted:

Stupid Meta, their cloud save backup system still doesn't work as good as it should. When I RMA'ed my Quest 2, and I got a new one, it seems I lost my current saves of a few games, in one of them I lost a week of progress.

I lost my Tales from the Galaxy's Edge save file, and it wanted me to play through the entire campaign again to access some of the DLC. Hard pass

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Professor Wayne posted:

I lost my Tales from the Galaxy's Edge save file, and it wanted me to play through the entire campaign again to access some of the DLC. Hard pass

Lost my save or not. Make me play through base content to get to DLC again? lol. Nope. Uninstall.

Wheezle
Aug 13, 2007

420 stop boats erryday

Dr. VooDoo posted:

How does it handle people using custom models in the game? That was a big selling point of Bonelab

Perfectly as long as you all have the same mods. It's really impressive.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
I see Virtuix has their new OMNI treadmill which looks like an incrementally-better design than most of these slippery-shoes-on-a-bowl "treadmills".

Weird thing is their angle of having their own software store and titles, that just seems weird. Maybe that's puffed-up ad copy for "we offer support for our hardware in popular titles"?

parasyte
Aug 13, 2003

Nobody wants to die except the suicides. They're no fun.

housemaster!!1 posted:

To fully melt with the virtual world, all I really need is an MMORPG. I tried Zenith, but unfortunately it's hardly being played anymore and is also quite repetitive, especially in the later levels. I wish some triple-a studio would eventually release Sword Art Online as a VMMORPG (not like the anime, of course, but well-designed). I don't think I would play anything else.

There's XIVR which has some amount of motion control mappings. Still a flatscreen game you're just modding to support VR, but it is a full MMO with a solid population. Also it is still FFXIV so if you don't like that due to prior experience, the VR experience is unlikely to change your feelings on it.

I haven't tried it myself because I have a bunch of mods and such installed and it seems like I'd need a separate configuration for the VR modded version entirely to keep performance in acceptable ranges.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

parasyte posted:

FFXIV... I have a bunch of mods and such installed

Sandwich Anarchist fucked around with this message at 00:40 on Apr 13, 2023

parasyte
Aug 13, 2003

so uh. i picked up a vive pro 2 off ebay and the left eye looks fuckin amazing compared to my vive. the right eye leaves something to be desired though

tried different displayports on my video card, restarted the link box, reseated the cables a few times, updated the headset firmware. this something that can get some sense knocked into it or am i sending this back to the seller?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

parasyte posted:

so uh. i picked up a vive pro 2 off ebay and the left eye looks fuckin amazing compared to my vive. the right eye leaves something to be desired though

tried different displayports on my video card, restarted the link box, reseated the cables a few times, updated the headset firmware. this something that can get some sense knocked into it or am i sending this back to the seller?

Extreme longshot, but do you have more than two monitors by any chance? Unplug the third+ one(s) and try it then, I know the Vive Pro 2 has some dumb problem with a PC having too many monitors.

It is probably pooched though.

parasyte
Aug 13, 2003

Yeah I saw the other day that due to the resolution VP2 shows up to the system as two monitors, and most nVidia cards only support four. I've only got the one connected right now, so sending it back it is.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Pistol Whip has now a editor!
https://mod.io/g/pistol-whip/r/official-pistol-mix-how-to-guide

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A1ksWrOgdFI
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ja-oQknP-UY

9/10 for Breachers. Crossplay + crossbuy too.

Turin Turambar fucked around with this message at 19:07 on Apr 13, 2023

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Game sounds cool but man that second video made it look pretty dull despite his glowing praise. A good VR game doesn't always come across in video I guess but dude's footage is mostly him camping a room and waiting for people to walk in. The official trailer looks a whole lot more dynamic so I am going to assume the guy just did a bad job of showing off the breadth of the content

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

explosivo posted:

Game sounds cool but man that second video made it look pretty dull despite his glowing praise. A good VR game doesn't always come across in video I guess but dude's footage is mostly him camping a room and waiting for people to walk in. The official trailer looks a whole lot more dynamic so I am going to assume the guy just did a bad job of showing off the breadth of the content

I mean... the real game, I suspect, it's very much like the second video shows, if you are playing as the defenders. You haven't played R6 Siege?

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Turin Turambar posted:

I mean... the real game, I suspect, it's very much like the second video shows, if you are playing as the defenders. You haven't played R6 Siege?

I have; sure there's waiting around but defending in Siege usually means putting down traps and people using crazy abilities to do poo poo while others are driving drones around to spot people, enemies can shoot through/break through walls which creates a lot of dynamically changing fights, etc.. The official trailer at least shows more traps and drones and EMP's and cloaking abilities which is more what I'd expect and it's cool to see that stuff is in there. Definitely going to have to keep an eye on this one and see if I can drag a friend in with me.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

https://twitter.com/PickleballProVR/status/1646602587871891463
New racket game from ETT devs

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

Turin Turambar posted:

New racket game from ETT devs

they should really put "from the makers of eleven table tennis" in the tweet and the video because I had zero interest until I read your comment

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Oh wow it’s the worst sport ever made, thanks for reminding me middle school gym class existed.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

explosivo posted:

I have; sure there's waiting around but defending in Siege usually means putting down traps and people using crazy abilities to do poo poo while others are driving drones around to spot people, enemies can shoot through/break through walls which creates a lot of dynamically changing fights, etc.. The official trailer at least shows more traps and drones and EMP's and cloaking abilities which is more what I'd expect and it's cool to see that stuff is in there. Definitely going to have to keep an eye on this one and see if I can drag a friend in with me.

These are the attackers gadgets

and the defenders

It could be the case that the game is a bit more campy than Siege, because it doesn't have as much dynamic destruction.

Twibbit
Mar 7, 2013

Is your refrigerator running?

Dewgy posted:

Oh wow it’s the worst sport ever made, thanks for reminding me middle school gym class existed.

Badmitton? Or was that only my HS that did that

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Bondematt posted:

g_saberRealisticCombat 9

this is on by default, but yeah, there's access to the console too afaik

Lozareth
Jun 11, 2006

explosivo posted:

I spent 7 minutes wondering if he was ever going to fire his gun in this "shooter" and right at the end of the video AYYYY! He fires his gun once and kills somebody. Why would you spend so much time talking about what a fantastic shooter it is then show next to no shooting?

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Huh, Ragnarock is getting a flatscreen PC version called "Vikings on Tour" that will be free to owners of the VR version. Early access in May. It sounds like the PvP races will be cross-platform but song leaderboards will be separate per platform so I could see this being a way to shore up player numbers while ideally squeezing some more sales out of it.

Tagichatn
Jun 7, 2009

I'm finally getting a new gaming pc that can do vr stuff. What are some good pcvr games besides alyx and blade and sorcery? I have a quest 2.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Tagichatn posted:

I'm finally getting a new gaming pc that can do vr stuff. What are some good pcvr games besides alyx and blade and sorcery? I have a quest 2.

Half Life 2 VR Mod
Hotdogs Horseshoes and Hand Grenades
VTOL VR
Risk of Rain 2 VR Mod
Hitman 3 (or world of assassination, whatever it's called now)
Tetris Effect
Ragnarock
Into the Radius
Pokerstars VR
Blaston
Eleven Table Tennis

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Moss, Moss 2
Demeo
Pistol Whip
Fisherman’s Tale
HL2VR
PokerstarsVR
Beat Saber
Budget Cuts (2)
I Expect You to Die
Paper Beast
Panoptic
Acron
Phasmophobia
Richie’s Plank Experience
The Room VR
Into The Radius
Until You Fall
Walkabout Mini Golf
Eleven Table Tennis
VTOLVR
Gorilla Tag

That’s my list of favorites, anyhow. Probably missed some.

Also a couple honorable mentions that aren’t full VR (that is, you need regular controllers of some sort, you don’t get to free walk or have VR hands) but are absolutely mind blowing to see in VR if you’ve played them flat and thus already have them:

Subnautica
Elite: Dangerous
DCS
SW Squadrons

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

explosivo posted:

Half Life 2 VR Mod

Episode 1 mod just dropped too