Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bobtheconqueror
May 10, 2005
I had a situation pop up where one of my starbases in orbit around a black hole started to fall into the black hole. I didn't want to lose the system so told it to pull away, and then had multiple instances of insane scientists commandeering the station to veer it towards the black hole for research. Situations are probably my favorite new addition in a while.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DJ_Mindboggler
Nov 21, 2013

PittTheElder posted:

Are the new pre-FTL Civ observation techs DLC only? I've been watching some planet since the first decade of the game and I'm pretty sure I've got nothing to show for it

I think they're DLC only, yeah. Do you have a situation for observation insights?

You can control the pace of tech gain by adjusting observation and mission type in the situation log. Also, I'm pretty sure the rate of tech gain is additive with number of observation posts, so with one or two posts passive observing it'll be pretty slow, but once you have more (or are more actively observing), the pace'll pick up quickly.

bobtheconqueror
May 10, 2005

DJ_Mindboggler posted:

I think they're DLC only, yeah. Do you have a situation for observation insights?

You can control the pace of tech gain by adjusting observation and mission type in the situation log. Also, I'm pretty sure the rate of tech gain is additive with number of observation posts, so with one or two posts passive observing it'll be pretty slow, but once you have more (or are more actively observing), the pace'll pick up quickly.

Is that right? I assumed the observation situations were planet specific, so the rate of advancement was based just on how you handle the situation. That being said, more observation posts will mean more situations popping because of more planets being observed, so it's a similar result.

standard.deviant
May 17, 2012

Globally Indigent

bobtheconqueror posted:

Is that right? I assumed the observation situations were planet specific, so the rate of advancement was based just on how you handle the situation. That being said, more observation posts will mean more situations popping because of more planets being observed, so it's a similar result.
They are per planet, but there is only one situation. It proceeds faster with more planets and with more aggressive observation, and if you reach the end of the situation it resets to the beginning with one less planet in the calculation.

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Ninety-nine ninety-nine ninety-nine

Pillbug

bobtheconqueror posted:

I had a situation pop up where one of my starbases in orbit around a black hole started to fall into the black hole. I didn't want to lose the system so told it to pull away, and then had multiple instances of insane scientists commandeering the station to veer it towards the black hole for research. Situations are probably my favorite new addition in a while.

I just got this playing a rogue servitor empire. I was in a good position so I instructed the station to get as close as possible, and I pushed it a little too close and the the machines running the station ended up going beyond the point of no return. I was given a new choice: destruct them or keep them online and observe what happens. I decided to let it ride even though there was a big red warning about how it could negatively effect the entire empire. I got lucky, and the unique experience of part of the group consciousness being stretched in time gave me a permanent empire wide +5% unity bonus. I really like situations.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

https://twitter.com/StellarisGame/status/1647963128842338307?s=20

Holy poo poo loving finally.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Are they going to add an option to the terraform capable planets so they don't pop up an event every time you find one? That's by far the worst, since it pauses the game to pop it up, and as the game goes on that's the only anomaly type left.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Oh my god I love this

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
Hooray but can we please get a proper event log too?

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.

binge crotching posted:

Are they going to add an option to the terraform capable planets so they don't pop up an event every time you find one? That's by far the worst, since it pauses the game to pop it up, and as the game goes on that's the only anomaly type left.

Quoting this

Also I'm all for this feature, holy poo poo. Can I also have configurable precursors as well???

CainsDescendant
Dec 6, 2007

Human nature

Splicer posted:

Hooray but can we please get a proper event log too?

This please

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013
Mercenary enclaves need to be toned down jfc

My merc enclaves can each field like 300k fleets when my own fleets are like 50k. Heck one merc enclave fleet is as strong as like all of my own fleets together

Its just busted. I didnt give them that much alloys, where did this gigantic fleet come from?

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer
thank gently caress, finally a way to shut down the endless stream of political updates from the larger galaxy

no game, I do not need to know every exact moment political alliances between 1-planet polities on the other side of the galaxy change, if I'm suddenly interested in them, I can look up what they're doing then by myself, thank you

In more hilarious news, remember the post I made about my first proto-vassal nuking themselves into the stone age after I spend hundreds of influence on preparing them for their future? And how I then found a second pre-FTL civ to repeat our errors on?

Well, good news. They didn't nuke themselves. A year after they started loving us so much they started making plushies of our space foxies (and spiders, technically), their rapid advance towards FTL-time triggered an AI uprising.

But it was only four armies against four armies, so I of course I scrambled our troops to go help them. And then. The game. Told me. "Sorry, but landing your troops would make the locals upset, piss off, player". Welp!

The robots won, with our troops watching, since I didn't want to just invade the locals and a peaceful option to go help them against the genociding robots didn't exist. What a funny oversight!

But here's the twist: The victorious robots immediately invented FTL and became a real civ. And they were driven assimilators, so the original natives still exist! In some way, at least. So instead of bombing the bots into the ground, our civ instead demanded immediate subjugation. Now our civ has their own pet killbots!

Luckily this run I'm going down the cybernetic ascension route, so in the end there won't be much difference between us, anyway. If we ever research a way to un-drone their pops, I'll consider taking them in for a quick annexation, and then releasing them back as free cyborgs afterwards. But until then I'm just happy those fuckers made it into space without dying!

Edit:

I forgot to mention, my civ is doubling down on spy poo poo this run, just to influence pre-FTL civs faster and harder. My first friends are already halfway back to the bronze age, since we keep landing agents giving out free laser guns to everyone they meet.

Libluini fucked around with this message at 17:33 on Apr 17, 2023

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

OctaMurk posted:

Its just busted. I didnt give them that much alloys, where did this gigantic fleet come from?

The same place the alloy you buy on the market comes from.

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013

Jack Trades posted:

The same place the alloy you buy on the market comes from.

The alloy on the market is ludicrously expensive, I dont believe the merc enclaves are doing enough business to cover that

Libluini
May 18, 2012

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

OctaMurk posted:

The alloy on the market is ludicrously expensive, I dont believe the merc enclaves are doing enough business to cover that

they probably know the trick is to let the great empires buy up huge masses of alloy for them, then trade it against tiny amounts of rare materials

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

standard.deviant posted:

The insight techs are really slow. Do you have a developing situation for observation?

No. Did I have to push a particular button to get a situation? Does it have to be on Passive Observation?

OctaMurk posted:

Mercenary enclaves need to be toned down jfc

My merc enclaves can each field like 300k fleets when my own fleets are like 50k. Heck one merc enclave fleet is as strong as like all of my own fleets together

Seriously, I was surprised to see the Federation I was fighting show up with like 1 million fleet power in one system suddenly, turns out various members had just hired out half the mercs on the map. And yeah my local merc group was fielding a fleet of 450k in the end game when the best I could do (due to Fleet Command Limit) was about 120k. Just silly nonsense. Don't know why they felt the need to import the merc problem from EU4.

PittTheElder fucked around with this message at 18:44 on Apr 17, 2023

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

PittTheElder posted:

No. Did I have to push a particular button to get a situation? Does it have to be on Passive Observation?

It can be passive observation, but you have to be proactive yourself: I got tons and tons of both techs and situations out of just two pre-FTL civs by burying them in spies. Just constantly influencing their society or straight-up raining gifts from heaven like divine mana. Triggered tons of weird events.

Like that one case where our scientists had to compete with local scientists thinking they're crack pots. Trying to bribe the locals with more funding then lead to most of our secret agents being banned from academia. Oops!

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

I captured a system from a local hive mind which had... 6?... Gaia worlds and pre-FTLs on all of them. I can't build observation posts, nor can I interact with them, and they've got the ? on all the planets in the place of the empire symbol.

One of the planets is labeled as Sol and being humans, I'm very curious who stole our planet, but we have been busy defeating MSI and apparently the poor fool evangelizing zealots who defensive pact'd with them.

Maximum Tomfoolery
Apr 12, 2010

That's a special event system, which if you build observation posts around, they'll eventually tell you to gently caress off and offer to tow a gaia planet to your home system as a peace offering. I didn't try rebuilding the posts, it might just prevent you from interacting with them if you take that deal, and of course it wouldn't surprise me if the devs didn't consider at all what happens if system ownership changes.

edit: I also don't know what happens if you click no after getting the offer.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

If the AI already had the system though I don't know if any of the special events will popup for the player. You can try and dismantle the outpost, wait for the monthly tick, and then rebuild it?

Worst case scenario, try landing an army and see what happens?

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
Hey I’ve been out of the loop for a while with this. What are the recommended DLCs?

ButtHate
Sep 26, 2007
Personal opinion:
The only one that I'd always recommend is utopia.
Otherwise, if you want robots, get synthetic dawn. If you want more stories, get distant stars or ancient relics. If you wanna play garbagemen, get Toxoids.
Personal ranking:

Must Have:
Utopia

Pretty Good
Distant Stars > Synthetic Dawn > Apocalypse > Ancient Relics > Leviathans

Alright, not essential
Megacorp > First Contact > Lithoids = Necroids

Not bad, but probably skippable
Toxoids > Aquatic = Plantoids > Federations = Nemesis > Humanoids

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?
Do you need a DLC to get Snailiens, bc that one is mandatory if so.

Maximum Tomfoolery
Apr 12, 2010

edit: just rewrote the whole post for better clarity.

These bad boys, and a bunch of other "cute" portraits in various categories are gated behind the Leviathan Story Pack.

Maximum Tomfoolery fucked around with this message at 22:57 on Apr 17, 2023

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?

Maximum Tomfoolery posted:

Oh my god I never noticed the hay in their mouth.

Perfect in every way, Stellaris is literally unplayable without them.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
humanoids does come with some pretty cool ships (that i never use), also 3 really good classic stellaris tune covers/remixes

megacorp also has the march of profits track, but that one's available on youtube

e: wait no i guess all the tracks are up on youtube now so just get the stuff you want for the content lol
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O2_dkdJOeWY

Truga fucked around with this message at 23:09 on Apr 17, 2023

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

If you want to play the I-didn't-know-this-was-a-hippo-bar game with me, that's fine.
I'm just reaching the end of a great game where I became galactic emperor as a driven assimilator.

I gotta say that minor artifacts suck. As a guy who just lets the game build default ship designs I was fully capped on alloys and crystals and motes and poo poo but I had to reinforce my fleets two ships at a time because you only get to have like 3000 of the loving things.

Maximum Tomfoolery
Apr 12, 2010

Good news! According to the open beta patch notes, they plan to reduce the cap to 2,000!

(It will be increasable by +1k with the empire-unique archeostudies building, or +3k with the archeostudies ascension perk)

Also very excited about this patch note:

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

ButtHate posted:

Personal opinion:
The only one that I'd always recommend is utopia.
Otherwise, if you want robots, get synthetic dawn. If you want more stories, get distant stars or ancient relics. If you wanna play garbagemen, get Toxoids.
Personal ranking:

Must Have:
Utopia

Pretty Good
Distant Stars > Synthetic Dawn > Apocalypse > Ancient Relics > Leviathans

Alright, not essential
Megacorp > First Contact > Lithoids = Necroids

Not bad, but probably skippable
Toxoids > Aquatic = Plantoids > Federations = Nemesis > Humanoids

I've got Utopia, Synthetic Dawn, Leviathans, and Apocalypse, so that seems to cover a bunch of the good ones in your list. Cool, thanks!

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

If you want to play the I-didn't-know-this-was-a-hippo-bar game with me, that's fine.

Good news! According to the open beta patch notes, they plan to reduce the cap to 2,000!

(It will be increasable by +1k with the empire-unique archeostudies building, or +3k with the archeostudies ascension perk)

Yeah I'd heard about that which is for sure even worse. A checkbox for ignore minor artifacts would be great. I just don't want to micromanage my fleet designs.

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Ninety-nine ninety-nine ninety-nine

Pillbug
Starting up a Relic World start was incredibly OP since it gives you an archeostudies building right off the bat and that makes your fleet incredibly strong early game. But, wow, lategame sucks. I actually had to open up the ship designer for the first time in like 6 years instead of just using auto-best because it was using too many artifacts.

Archonet
Mar 12, 2022

it is time to boogie

is that a loving tomska reference

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
:orb:

Kenlon
Jun 27, 2003

Digitus Impudicus

And yet they still have not, and probably never will, given us a proper log like we used to have in older Paradox games.

Kenlon fucked around with this message at 03:55 on Apr 18, 2023

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Kenlon posted:

And yet they still have not, and probably never will, given us a proper log like we used to have in older Paradox games.

Inflation and covid hurt all of us okay

Maximum Tomfoolery
Apr 12, 2010

It's really cool and good when I try to press Esc to close a window while the game is unpaused and a giant menu pops up and immediately goes away, and I have no idea what it was, until 20 years later I realize the Curators haven't asked for a renewal in a while.

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

It's really cool and good when I try to press Esc to close a window while the game is unpaused and a giant menu pops up and immediately goes away, and I have no idea what it was, until 20 years later I realize the Curators haven't asked for a renewal in a while.

Autorenew check box on deals when?

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

Spanish Matlock posted:

Autorenew check box on deals when?

but that's 5k energy every 10 years, surely this represents an important choice!?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

I always love making a trade offer of 2 alloys every month or whatever for 5 years and the AI going "HOLY poo poo!! YES!!! WE WON'T ATTACK YOU AND ALSO YOU CAN HAVE ANYTHING YOU WANT!!!!" because I think it's a straight multiplier of the base value.