Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

mmhmm

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

armpit_enjoyer posted:

That was the only phone I ever had that would crash when receiving a phone call.

someone missed out on the glory days of windows mobile

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Just let yourself become a worthless person!
the big lie: maybe this android phone will be good

Expo70
Nov 15, 2021

Can't talk now, doing
Hot Girl Stuff

nrook posted:

the big lie: maybe this android phone will be good

playing with an iphone recently, the app library/app drawer stuff is awful, you still don't have a back button, the keyboard sucks, and the ecosystem was kind of terrible beyond a few vaguely interesting apps that only really run properly on an ipad with a pencil

paying more should not result in you getting less

android is lovely and inefficient but i can't think of a situation where i'd ever do anything serious that gives a poo poo about memory or cpu on a phone -- its for checking stuff, consuming stuff and to play modem for my laptop i think

smartphones are very helpful but at the end of the day they're still just smartphones

maybe fixing the os nonsense could change that but i think its more of a limitation of the way you have to interact with them

humans are still greasy monkeys who stare at rectangles all day

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

Expo70 posted:

playing with an iphone recently, the app library/app drawer stuff is awful, you still don't have a back button, the keyboard sucks, and the ecosystem was kind of terrible beyond a few vaguely interesting apps that only really run properly on an ipad with a pencil

paying more should not result in you getting less

android is lovely and inefficient but i can't think of a situation where i'd ever do anything serious that gives a poo poo about memory or cpu on a phone -- its for checking stuff, consuming stuff and to play modem for my laptop i think

smartphones are very helpful but at the end of the day they're still just smartphones

maybe fixing the os nonsense could change that but i think its more of a limitation of the way you have to interact with them

humans are still greasy monkeys who stare at rectangles all day

What do you mean there's no back button? If you need to switch from the app you're currently on to the one you were on previously, you can swipe up and you can see the app switcher, where you can choose just how far back you need to go on previous apps you were using. Also, if you change from one app to another because of a notification, there will also be a button in the upper-left corner with the previous app's name and a back button if you want a one-touch way to get back where you were.

Also, I can't imagine what you are thinking trying to say that the android keyboard is somehow better than the iPhone's.

Android people have gotten so used to their atrocious, barely-useable UI that they have a hard time using a phone whose interface doesn't suck.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!
Oh nooooo you don't need this very obviously useful and simple thing. Here is a gesture instead.

(Btw Android also has an app switcher)

Android sucks but you apple bros are brainwashed.

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

i like the new gestures in android. they remind me of Meego on the N9

Internet Janitor
May 17, 2008

"That isn't the appropriate trash receptacle."
i had a handspring visor as a teenager, and it was a delightful device. very limited, but at the same time the ui was consistent, usable, and discoverable, and there was a constantly expanding ecosystem of neat software to play with. every once in a while i dust it off, pop in some AAA batteries and fiddle with it

for telecommunication purposes i made do with a nokia brickphone for many, many years. it was not pleasant, but it was adequate and unsurprising

one day i got an ipod touch essentially for free, and i was shocked at how terrible and non-discoverable every aspect of its ui was. the display, battery life, storage, durability and compute power of the hardware outclassed my visor in every respect, but the software was a horrible carbuncle of inconsistency and hobbled functionality. i could not believe anyone tolerated this

years later i tried an android tablet for the first time, and i immediately realized that as insanely lovely as iOS is, android is worse along every axis; just a hellfucked disaster

it is terrifying how much time so many people spend on devices with absolute rock-bottom user interfaces. no fuckin wonder the average person has basically nonexistent computer literacy when as an industry we have lost both the ability and the desire to teach

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison
why would I press a button when I could just… swipe back?

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord

Mega Comrade posted:

Oh nooooo you don't need this very obviously useful and simple thing. Here is a gesture instead.

(Btw Android also has an app switcher)

Android sucks but you apple bros are brainwashed.

gesture controls are one of those things i always turn off asap

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Same. Gestures have become the 'default ' on the lastest android versions. But as long as I have the option I will cling to my trusty back button.

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

i never thought i'd see someone defend the android ui. every android person i know irl is either the contrarian type that calls everyone who owns an apple phone "fanboys," very price sensitive, or doesn't care at all and got a free android phone five years ago and is just rolling with it.

ngl it's kind of unsettling

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
phone were fully commoditized by like 2015 for peeps who dont have to care too much about security, so those two billion peeps just go for the cheapest

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

good word.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

Internet Janitor posted:

it is terrifying how much time so many people spend on devices with absolute rock-bottom user interfaces. no fuckin wonder the average person has basically nonexistent computer literacy when as an industry we have lost both the ability and the desire to teach

agreed yeah but one does not follow from the other. it's the same as complaining that Kids These Days can't drive stick or change their own oil.

people didn't learn how to use DOS and configure Windows because they loved screwing around with computers, they learned how to do those things because they had poo poo to do and Windows was in the way.

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

Sapozhnik posted:

people didn't learn how to use DOS and configure Windows because they loved screwing around with computers, they learned how to do those things because they had poo poo to do and Windows was in the way.

I assume you mean normal people and not, for example, everyone in this forum

Internet Janitor
May 17, 2008

if we're going to torture car analogies it'd be like if car manufacturers spent decades developing refined, tactile knobs and switches to control the features of cars based on careful ergonomic research, and then at some point just started replacing everything with touchscreens because they're cheap and look fancy, and meanwhile half of the poo poo doesn't even work anymore, and physical aspects of your car started being disabled on a subscription basis

oh wait

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Sapozhnik posted:

i mean, i did, but i post in yospos

you give a curious kid a big opaque machine like that and they will absolutely pull it apart to figure it out if they have nothing better to do

Internet Janitor posted:

i had a handspring visor as a teenager, and it was a delightful device. very limited, but at the same time the ui was consistent, usable, and discoverable, and there was a constantly expanding ecosystem of neat software to play with. every once in a while i dust it off, pop in some AAA batteries and fiddle with it

for telecommunication purposes i made do with a nokia brickphone for many, many years. it was not pleasant, but it was adequate and unsurprising

one day i got an ipod touch essentially for free, and i was shocked at how terrible and non-discoverable every aspect of its ui was. the display, battery life, storage, durability and compute power of the hardware outclassed my visor in every respect, but the software was a horrible carbuncle of inconsistency and hobbled functionality. i could not believe anyone tolerated this

years later i tried an android tablet for the first time, and i immediately realized that as insanely lovely as iOS is, android is worse along every axis; just a hellfucked disaster

i will defend a lot about ios as a phone os, in terms of being able to provide a consistently functional phone but the ui has been a trash fire for a solid decade now specifically because they have to cram every conceivable kind of interaction into it as a generalized information appliance.

the early versions of ios were a lot better for discoverability because they were relatively feature limited and you could present all the options in a fairly logical and obvious way

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

post hole digger posted:

I assume you mean normal people and not, for example, everyone in this forum

actually i mean people itt as well

if my first computer was an ipad and not some crappy home computer with BASIC on it then i probably wouldn't have become a computer toucher. here was a new toy, i had to find some way to entertain myself with it, guess i'll dick around writing BASIC programs since that's literally all this thing can be used for. if it was an ipad i'd have probably watched spiderman pregnant elsa tooth surgery garbage on youtube instead idk.

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

i personally prefer android because the pixel Just Works as well as an iphone and im less locked into a stupid ecosystem with it. also it has a very easy universal back "button" of sorts (pull from left edge, also has an equivalent for forward) and on every iphone ive used i had to learn how to go back for each individual app and just lol

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

ime convergence has just meant doing everything, worse. the convenience comes with significant tradeoffs

Expo70
Nov 15, 2021

Can't talk now, doing
Hot Girl Stuff

LanceHunter posted:

What do you mean there's no back button? If you need to switch from the app you're currently on to the one you were on previously, you can swipe up and you can see the app switcher, where you can choose just how far back you need to go on previous apps you were using. Also, if you change from one app to another because of a notification, there will also be a button in the upper-left corner with the previous app's name and a back button if you want a one-touch way to get back where you were.

Also, I can't imagine what you are thinking trying to say that the android keyboard is somehow better than the iPhone's.

Android people have gotten so used to their atrocious, barely-useable UI that they have a hard time using a phone whose interface doesn't suck.

I handle both. Android is less consistent and generally more flawed per app, but overall the system user systems are better.

if you don't task-switch and you don't get upset at ecosystems, go apple

if you task switch like, a lot and you care about having any amount of control over your own hardware, go android

let's be real: the problem isn't apple vs android, its the entire smartphone platform

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

The main problem with android is every brand has to try and put their spin and identity on it. So If you go from say a Samsung to a Motorola you have to figure out all the different icons and names for basic apps.
And then of course you have google changing default messaging apps every 6 months.

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

if you're using android you should be using either a pixel (if you care) or the literal cheapest thing you can find (if you don't)

mystes
May 31, 2006

Mega Comrade posted:

The main problem with android is every brand has to try and put their spin and identity on it. So If you go from say a Samsung to a Motorola you have to figure out all the different icons and names for basic apps.
Haven't the interfaces have gotten way more consistent over time? I feel like now as long as you don't use the default launcher you won't even notice the difference (I use KISS because I absolutely hate organizing icons).

Internet Janitor
May 17, 2008

Sapozhnik posted:

if my first computer was an ipad and not some crappy home computer with BASIC on it then i probably wouldn't have become a computer toucher. here was a new toy, i had to find some way to entertain myself with it, guess i'll dick around writing BASIC programs since that's literally all this thing can be used for. if it was an ipad i'd have probably watched spiderman pregnant elsa tooth surgery garbage on youtube instead idk.

when i was in elementary school, i didn't have a computer of my own, or even access to a computer. some of my (richer) friends had computers i'd get to see occasionally, and most of them had game boys and game consoles. no one i knew could program

there was a palpable hunger among many kids my age to make stuff like what we saw on those screens. drawing elaborate levels for fictional games on paper and describing the intricacies of what they'd be like was a common activity. in many ways, the things we could draw on paper weren't that different from the experiences you could buy on a game cartridge; the gulf is certainly much wider today

i'd like to hope that today's kids have a hunger to create as well, but perhaps some of it is diffused into prepackaged creativity vessel products like minecraft, or discouraged by locked-down devices and platforms

EricBauman
Nov 30, 2005

DOLF IS RECHTVAARDIG
the one thing i can't wrap my head around is how samsung is so popular.

the stuff they add to android slows the devices to a crawl and works like poo poo.
their phones feel cheap for the most part.

if you can get their market share with the stuff they release, imagine what you could do if you put out something that actually worked well
(and then backed it up with marketing as well, i guess)

mystes
May 31, 2006

The one thing I can't get my head around about Samsung is why, if you were determined to spend as much money on a phone as possible, you wouldn't get an iphone

I hope this doesn't result in a lot of angry android users yelling "but we deserve expensive things too" at me like when I occasionally make the mistake of posting in the Chromebook thread

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
hugely popular in gulf arab countries who hate america for deec reasons

same w se asia, etc etc

they're commodity. its like coke vs pepsi now

mystes
May 31, 2006

bob dobbs is dead posted:

hugely popular in gulf arab countries who hate america for deec reasons
yeah actually if you're in another country and don't want to use US products that actually seems like a legit reason

I will admit that I was thinking more about people in US like one coworker I had who was always had to have the latest samsung phone inexplicably

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
it doesnt work that well, us software hegemony is pretty complete lol. much like how gulf arab countries disdain coke in favor of... pepsi

anyone use tizen? answer is no. and tizen lead is an american anyways

bob dobbs is dead fucked around with this message at 17:42 on Apr 15, 2023

Expo70
Nov 15, 2021

Can't talk now, doing
Hot Girl Stuff

Mega Comrade posted:

And then of course you have google changing default messaging apps every 6 months.

Or do what normal people do and dump/disable all the defaults and run stuff you actually like consistently and then throw some basic theming on if you even give a poo poo about any of the visual differences

even apple's default apps are just not that great once you get over the integration and they're inherently anti-competitive so you don't get to try alternatives to them last time i checked

so if there's like, a feature you would like to have and don't, get hosed i guess?

i don't like that

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

tizen is based on loving Enlightenment and the horror stories of devs who have to tizen are great

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

Sapozhnik posted:

interesting thought. I agree with it more than I originally thought. although there are more outlets for creative energy on devices than actually messing with os configs, programming it, etc…, games existed back then too and I don’t think passive consumption of YouTube videos or w/e will really sate the curiosity of kids who just like fiddling with stuff. I had cable tv as a kid, but I still wanted to mess around on my parents windows 3.1 computer with no internet, and wanted to mess around even more once we got the internet. is there less to tinker with on an iPad these days compared to a pac bell in 1997? I’m not sure

I also came of age where a computer was still this novel special thing and most kids probably don’t see it that way anymore because they are so integrated into every facet of everyday life, which I think is part of it too.

post hole digger fucked around with this message at 17:43 on Apr 15, 2023

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

Achmed Jones posted:

if you're using android you should be using either a pixel (if you care) or the literal cheapest thing you can find (if you don't)

or a OnePlus 9 or 9 Pro -- lots of lineages devs for that phone

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

i don't think "normal people" theme their phones in any meaningful way beyond changing their lock screen and wallpaper

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

The true best option is to root your phone and put lineageOs on it :unsmigghh:

EricBauman posted:

the one thing i can't wrap my head around is how samsung is so popular.

They spend more on advertisement than almost all other android brands put together.

mystes posted:

Haven't the interfaces have gotten way more consistent over time? I feel like now as long as you don't use the default launcher you won't even notice the difference (I use KISS because I absolutely hate organizing icons).

Google have been more strict on the main settings over time yes. But its still pretty inconsistent.

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

"ahh yes let me root my phone so i can install a custom operating system, this is reasonable behavior that should be generally recommended to others":whitewater:

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

mystes posted:

The one thing I can't get my head around about Samsung is why, if you were determined to spend as much money on a phone as possible, you wouldn't get an iphone

I hope this doesn't result in a lot of angry android users yelling "but we deserve expensive things too" at me like when I occasionally make the mistake of posting in the Chromebook thread

my sister has one of the new folding samsungs and its an absolute piece of poo poo and i dont know why she has it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mystes
May 31, 2006

The idea of folding phones at least appeals to me even if their actual state does not

If it wasn't expensive and worked perfectly I would love something that was pocket sized but then could open up to have a bigger screen