Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.

Mescal posted:

lol i forgot where i was. i'm not an advanced user, i will sometimes deign to use a GUI for... fiddly things here and there :cry:

The major arch derivates are all ideal for intermediate users, and if you can get pip to work then you not longer a beginner.
I use Manjaro, but Endeavor OS has a better reputation these days though I still think that Manjaro's graphical package manager is better. A default install shouldn't be too different from steamos until you start fiddling with the system yourself. I think they even install steam by default.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.

Computer viking posted:

As for distros, just go for one of the big ones at first - it means there's a good chance other people will have had your exact problems, asked about them online, and have gotten concrete and specific answers already. Ubuntu and Fedora are probably the biggest, and both should be easy enough to get working and let you do most things from the GUI. Steam works fine on both, too.

E: neither are super slim with the default install, but give it a shot before deciding to scale down.
Even though snap performance drove me away, it's still hard not to recommend Ubuntu as the default entry point for newer Linux users ; a distro that largely works, a lot of information/support because the userbase is so large, large repos. I've recently switched to Fedora. I'd say the main downsides are smaller repos and more version upgrades risks than Debian/Ubuntu.

I'll mention Mint as an Ubuntu-minus-snaps option. Or OpenSuse as the large, long-running distro everyone forgets.

Pablo Bluth fucked around with this message at 09:58 on Apr 16, 2023

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

jaegerx posted:

Random device? Like you're going to peoples laptops and logging in to your poo poo?

Yes - though "my poo poo" in this case is a €5 Vultr machine that has and does nothing important except for the utility of having a machine outside the work network.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Computer viking posted:

Yes - though "my poo poo" in this case is a €5 Vultr machine that has and does nothing important except for the utility of having a machine outside the work network.

Did you know that you can enable 2FA for SSH? :sun:

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

Wibla posted:

Did you know that you can enable 2FA for SSH? :sun:

I do, and should probably bother looking at that sometime. :)

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Manjaro, pickle OP.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Saukkis posted:

This is reason enough if the SSH doesn't need to be reachable by large number of people. At work we have a system that alerts if there are more than a hundred failed login attempts on a day. A server with 22 open to the internet get's 10k attempts, a high custom port gets reported few times a year.

Theoretically SSH on a custom port is trivial to find, but no one bothers to go through the effort. If the admins were aware enough to use a custom port you probably wouldn't crack it anyway.

I've always used 443 or some other port that's used for a common encrypted protocol, in case I'm on a network where the admin is paranoid and insists on running an outgoing port whitelist.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Managed to get plasma 5 on xwayland working on a fresh gentoo install last night

:getin:

No sound tho lmao

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

should i attempt booting/installing endeavor from microsd card? my only thumb drive here is tiny. i could use the tiny one for a slim ubuntu i guess. a slim install is fine if it has a post-installer process where it asks what features you need to add

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Mescal posted:

should i attempt booting/installing endeavor from microsd card? my only thumb drive here is tiny. i could use the tiny one for a slim ubuntu i guess. a slim install is fine if it has a post-installer process where it asks what features you need to add

If your PC boots from a sd card, there shouldn't be any difference between that and a USB stick.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Speaking of security through obscurity, I'm reminded of a 2003 black-hat presentation on something called cök - essentially just the age-old notion of port knocking, but with a one-time-pass implementation as part of it. Unfortunately it was written in Java, and seemingly everyone who's had the idea since then has done it in Python, presumably because it's easy to prototype in.
I wish someone write something equivalent, that can be used in production - I imagine rust would make a great language for it, and using one of the existing totp libraries should make it fairly easy.

Also, looking up how old it was, caused me real pain from realizing how long ago that was.
:negative:

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
Somewhat related, but any suggestions on how to safely expose devices/HTTP services on my LAN to my Android phone when traveling? I was eyeing maybe tailscale for this. I only want LAN traffic to go over the mesh, though.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gyshall posted:

Somewhat related, but any suggestions on how to safely expose devices/HTTP services on my LAN to my Android phone when traveling? I was eyeing maybe tailscale for this. I only want LAN traffic to go over the mesh, though.

I just use wireguard.

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life

Gyshall posted:

Wireguard

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
What does that look like with a firewall?

Could I do something like put a cloud VM somewhere with wireguard and then have that go back into my LAN?

Maybe repurpose a Pi for this

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Gyshall posted:

What does that look like with a firewall?

Could I do something like put a cloud VM somewhere with wireguard and then have that go back into my LAN?

Maybe repurpose a Pi for this

Why would you do a two step vpn like that? Just go straight back to your LAN via wireguard on a device on your home network.

Bonus points for using a ddns to cloudflare with a domain name so it'll automatically update your domain's destination if your home's IP changes and then pointing your wireguard vpn to something like "wireguard.domain.tld" so you don't suddenly lose access while away.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

I use tailscale, it works quite well. Easy to setup, works fine on all of my devices.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week
I know wireguard is the new hotness for cool buckaroos, but to connect to your home network from outside on a temporary basis I really don't see why you wouldn't use the VPN built into your router. Even if that's OpenVPN.

Your router is always on. You don't have to leave a real machine running if you just want to access a NAS box or whatnot. Or even send a magic packet to wake a desktop when needed. And the speed difference isn't a big deal when you're accessing stuff from home. I dunno, maybe if you have symmetric gigabit fiber it is.

I dunno, I run a asus router with asus-merlin firmware so maybe I'm just used to my home router having plenty of bells and whistles. It can even do the DDNS thing.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Klyith posted:

I know wireguard is the new hotness for cool buckaroos, but to connect to your home network from outside on a temporary basis I really don't see why you wouldn't use the VPN built into your router. Even if that's OpenVPN.

Your router is always on. You don't have to leave a real machine running if you just want to access a NAS box or whatnot. Or even send a magic packet to wake a desktop when needed. And the speed difference isn't a big deal when you're accessing stuff from home. I dunno, maybe if you have symmetric gigabit fiber it is.

I dunno, I run a asus router with asus-merlin firmware so maybe I'm just used to my home router having plenty of bells and whistles. It can even do the DDNS thing.

The vpn built into my router is wireguard. So I use that, don't care that it is fashionable.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Wibla posted:

I use tailscale, it works quite well. Easy to setup, works fine on all of my devices.

Tailscale is acceptable since it's also built on wireguard.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Headscale lets you selfhost a tailscale-like solution on a VPS of your own.

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

The wireguard app on android can be set up to only do networking for specific apps, which is nice; I use if for homeassistant.

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Maybe this post will get me on your ignore list!

There’s a pure open source tailscale replacement who’s name I can’t remember right now if that’s your allergy to tailscale.

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

BlankSystemDaemon posted:

Headscale lets you selfhost a tailscale-like solution on a VPS of your own.

head scale I said it first.

jaegerx fucked around with this message at 00:39 on Apr 17, 2023

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Just use tailscale, it's fantastic.

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

netbird

that's an alternative

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

jaegerx posted:

head scale I said it first.
That's an interesting definition of first.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

sed 5,10p scale

There, I said it first.

cruft fucked around with this message at 02:37 on Apr 17, 2023

atomicpile
Nov 7, 2009

RFC2324 posted:

Managed to get plasma 5 on xwayland working on a fresh gentoo install last night

:getin:

No sound tho lmao

Emerge Plasma-meta with pulseaudio use flag, install pipe wire. Never worry about Linux audio again. (I did this like a week ago on a fresh install). Have another install that’s been going a long time with pipewire and this works fine.

atomicpile fucked around with this message at 04:33 on Apr 17, 2023

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

what's the piss easy way to make my thumb dive (i got a bigger one) iso boot when the thing turns on? for installing the endeavor. the file's coming from a windows pc

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe

Mescal posted:

what's the piss easy way to make my thumb dive (i got a bigger one) iso boot when the thing turns on? for installing the endeavor. the file's coming from a windows pc

I like Ventoy since I can put a bunch of ISO's on it.
https://www.ventoy.net/en/index.html

Rufus might be a bit easier.
https://rufus.ie/en/

Maybe I don't understand the question because of the way you worded it.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Seconding ventoy, very easy to use.

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life

BlankSystemDaemon posted:

That's an interesting definition of first.

Its counting from zero, so really you never said it

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Mr. Crow posted:

Its counting from zero, so really you never said it
:hmmno:

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Thinking of repurposing an old machine as a Linux Plex/file server. It’s been a while since I did something like this from scratch. Which file system would be a good choice for a large (16tb) drive?

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

Last Chance posted:

Thinking of repurposing an old machine as a Linux Plex/file server. It’s been a while since I did something like this from scratch. Which file system would be a good choice for a large (16tb) drive?

Any really. ext4 would work just fine. But, if you want to be able to expand that volume later with more drives without juggling mount points, LVM (with ext4 on top) would work better. Or, if you feel that you want to take advantage of ZFS capabilities (of which there are many, BlankSystemDaemon I'm sure can give you a rundown) that would work as well.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Last Chance posted:

There's nothing really wrong with ext4 as a no-frills filessystem. However, one weakness it has relative to modern alternatives is that all the filesystem data structures (inode tables, etc.) are statically allocated. The issue there is that the default inode ratio is pretty small (which allows you to fill your disk with 16 kB files before running out of inodes) with the consequence that as your volume grows larger (over 1+ TB) you end up wasting lots of space (10+ GB) on these data structures that can't be used for actual data storage.

For that reason I prefer to user a 1 MB (or larger) inode ratio on any volume that's primarily storing media since it wastes much less space. As long as the average file size on the volume is 1 MB or larger you won't run out of inodes. For a 16 TB volume, I might even consider using 4 MB. You can set this using the mke2fs "-i" option, but even better might be to use the "-T" option specifying a usage-type label that corresponds to configuations listed in /etc/mke2fs.conf. In this case "-T largefile" uses a 1 MB ratio and "-T largefile4" uses a 4 MB.

The other thing to consider is that mke2fs reserves 5% of the filesystem for use by root only, which on a media volume might also waste space. You can remove this reservation with mke2fs's the "-m" option (e.g., "-m 0"). Fortunately if you forget to do this you can change it later with tune2fs too.

Now, all that said, modern/fancier filesystems dynamically allocate their data structures and are generally easier to work with for larger volumes. Among Linux native filesystems, btrfs works great on single disks (which is to say, to the extent the filesystem is still experimental, the single-disk usage case is quite well vetted). I'm sure ZFS (via OpenZFS) is also fine, but also mind that it has to be built against your kernel with dkms for licensing reasons (which may be an automatic thing with your distribution).

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Last Chance posted:

I would recommend something with checksumming for massive drives. So, zfs or btrfs. You can also add additional drives pretty painlessly and implement effective snapshot history easily.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
zfs or btrfs if you want fancier stuff like snapshots (btrfs should be avoided for multi disk arrays but is meant to be fine for single disk usage, and won't involve out-of-kernel driver issues on non-Ubuntu distos).

Ext4 or xfs for more vanilla fs. Not sure you'd see much difference between the two; xfs might bemore efficient for a media disk of large video files.

Pablo Bluth fucked around with this message at 14:53 on Apr 17, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

I use btrfs extensively at home and work. I'm a big btrfs fan. There's some stuff out there saying it has stability problems: that was true 5+ years ago.

E: I use it for multi-disk arrays. We have a few at work with 22 disks. It's just great. In fact I think Synology is touting that their NAS devices use btrfs as an advertising point.

Ee: yeah, https://www.synology.com/en-us/dsm/Btrfs

cruft fucked around with this message at 15:12 on Apr 17, 2023