Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
You could see the gears turning in everyone's head as they ran through what they would each have to say in the potential future deposition during the "ah yes, very humorous, such joke" conversation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SunshineDanceParty
Feb 7, 2006

One Road. Two Friends. One Ass.

PostNouveau posted:

I think a caption mistake makes the most sense here. A note about Kerry means they found the Kerry note, flushed it, and then found ANOTHER note that they were OK with keeping in a scene we weren't shown that talked about Kendall. It's not really like Succession to have a misdirect like that. Offscreen action happens (Tom betraying Shiv, Logan swaying their mom), but I can't recall a time they deceived the audience like this.

That's totally possible the show doesn't usually do things like that.

panko
Sep 6, 2005

~honda best man~

I think the little princes interpretation is valid. It’s probably how I’d have heard it if I wasn’t following the captions. there’s a landmark in my city called the princes’ gates and until I saw it written out I assumed for years that it was referring to some commonwealth faildaughter and not two princes standing before me (just go ahead now)

looking forward to karl acquitting after gojo goes through

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Looked up the King Lear = Succession theory. It implies Tom will improbably rise to the top by sheer virtue of everyone else completely loving imploding

Yeah, I guess that does make some sense. The kids are all too self-destructive to actually pull it off, Frank and Carl both have one foot out the door and just want this sale to go through before they can bolt. Gerri would be the only one left. Stewy could just puppet-master Tom until the end of time.

Obviously Wayster Royco needs an outside hire though. Just get yourself one of those expensive search firms. The guy who insisted on picking winners among his inner circle is dead so the board doesn't need to limit itself to the dipshits who are left.

Equeen
Oct 29, 2011

Pole dance~
I was looking up executive titles out of curiosity, and lol that Ken or Roman couldn’t be bothered to at least offer Shiv a chief marketing officer position or something.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
The thing is, Tom will never be "the only one left," will he? Like, the board could just get some obedient creature who just golden-parachuted their way out of some other company.

breadshaped
Apr 1, 2010

Soiled Meat

We need to figure out if Logan was left or right handed to know if this line started as an underline or a strikethrough.

This is important.

glassyalabolas
Oct 21, 2006
I want to bowl with the gangsters...

Did anyone get a screenshot the document when it was in full view?

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Equeen posted:

I was looking up executive titles out of curiosity, and lol that Ken or Roman couldn’t be bothered to at least offer Shiv a chief marketing officer position or something.
They might, but it’s still not CEO.

What bugged me more is literally right after they promised Shiv access to everything, they exclude her from the PR meeting. Like they literally just promised equality. Lmao.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Thing is, if Shiv got some high-ranking title, what insures her against getting Gerri'd?

Dmitri-9
Nov 30, 2004

There's something really sexy about Scrooge McDuck. I love Uncle Scrooge.

Halloween Jack posted:

Thing is, if Shiv got some high-ranking title, what insures her against getting Gerri'd?

She must have similar equity in RoyCo as Ken and Roman. They want her votes and her money for Pierce.

Dinosaurs!
May 22, 2003

flashy_mcflash posted:

This may well be true but we're on season 5 and it's never safe to bet against Roman jerking off on someone/something no matter how much he's grown as a character.

I did like him musing about whether he should do a bit at the beginning of the episode. That felt like Kieran talking, not Roman.

I don’t think he had an ulterior motive with Kerry, but I just remembered he tried to guilt Gerri into some pity action last episode. So you’ve got a point.

ephori
Sep 1, 2006

Dinosaur Gum
How can we even be sure the pencil marking was Logan? For all we know Karl and Frank hastily scribbled on it when they took it out of the safe, instead of flushing it.

CeeJee
Dec 4, 2001
Oven Wrangler

KENDALL LOGAN ROY

That's pretty much all there is to it. Without Logan Roy the true Kendall can rise.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Every document they find in that safe will have 'Greg?' written on it somewhere.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

Because of the way this show works (and discussion in this thread has worked in the past [see the "Tom is a puppet master with a big twist" stuff from last season]) I am 100% certain that the strikeout/underline of Ken's name never comes up again and was always supposed to be a Seinfeldian bit, there was only ever 1 piece of paper and they said "princes," the fact they brought Greg in just to let him know his name was on a piece of paper is more or less proving that they didn't have the guts to throw the paper away and take control (and eventually we learn that only Ken and Marcia have the guts to pull any poo poo on anyone,) and Roman was merely trying to flirt with the woman that his dad was attracted to and, because he's Roman, he wants to gently caress her too. AKA: Roman's daddy complex continues as usual. I don't think he broke her bag, that was a combo of Marcia giving her a lovely bag and Kerry being distraught. It's all straight forward, as this show tends to be.

Something that's taken me this long to realize is this show throws a lot of business terms out there in the same way that Star Trek throws out technical terms to describe problems and solutions. In Star Trek, it's called "technobabble" so what would Succession's version of this be called? Capibabble? Busibabble?

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

CeeJee posted:

That's pretty much all there is to it. Without Logan Roy the true Kendall can rise.
The Occluded Roy

IG-88
Apr 21, 2019

I just hope Greg doesn't become CEO or whatever

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

If Greg gets anything, it's to gently caress with Ewan. As a hanger on to a hanger on, he's got nothing.

limp dick calvin
Sep 1, 2006

Strepitoso. Vedete? Una meraviglia.
Greg does a face turn and donates the company to green peace

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

DaveKap posted:

Something that's taken me this long to realize is this show throws a lot of business terms out there in the same way that Star Trek throws out technical terms to describe problems and solutions. In Star Trek, it's called "technobabble" so what would Succession's version of this be called? Capibabble? Busibabble?

Buzzwords?

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Although they do use a lot of buzzwords, there is still actual business information being thrown about w/r/t company control, "comparables," and whatnot that someone says, someone else understands, and is used to determine decisions. That's what I'm talking about.

But... yeah 90% of it is buzzwords.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

Consummate Professional posted:

Greg does a face turn and donates the company to green peace
On his last day in the office, Shiv calls him a soyboy.

SuperTeeJay
Jun 14, 2015

DaveKap posted:

Although they do use a lot of buzzwords, there is still actual business information being thrown about w/r/t company control, "comparables," and whatnot that someone says, someone else understands, and is used to determine decisions. That's what I'm talking about.
Good old fashioned jargon - the best friend of the corporate or legal type who wants to obscure their meaning or doesn't quite understand what they're saying.

mutantIke
Oct 24, 2022

Born in '04
Certified Zoomer

stev posted:

Every document they find in that safe will have 'Greg?' written on it somewhere.

Except for one, which has "Craig?"

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
I have to admit I enjoyed Greg's hail mary shot at the #2 position

Memnaelar
Feb 21, 2013

WHO is the goodest girl?

christmas boots posted:

I have to admit I enjoyed Greg's hail mary shot at the #2 position

It is really weird how Greg generally just makes my hair stand on end with how absolutely... disgusting (bros) he is... and then moments later has me laughing at just how visceral a reaction the character gets out of me. And here I thought the Egg would grow on me after Season 1. Just the opposite.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Memnaelar posted:

It is really weird how Greg generally just makes my hair stand on end with how absolutely... disgusting (bros) he is... and then moments later has me laughing at just how visceral a reaction the character gets out of me. And here I thought the Egg would grow on me after Season 1. Just the opposite.
I mean, the point of Greg is to see how all the other failsons became who they were. I think the character does this phenomenally well. Greg was never supposed to grow on you, he was supposed to be your target of pity growing into the target of ire. The fact that we've come to empathize with the man who has turned him into such a disgusting sycophant, Tom, is a testament to how amazing the writers and actors of this show are, cancellations notwithstanding.

DaveKap fucked around with this message at 23:09 on Apr 17, 2023

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Episode was great but one specific moment I adored was that brief pause and Kendall tapping Roman on the shoulder when he realizes that Logan's jacket is still draped over the back of his chair. Ouch.

mcmagic posted:

I was sure that Frank, Pete and Gerri were going to "lose" that piece of paper. And they 100% should have.

Frank found it and finds himself in a very awkward position, as far as he knows he's the only person alive who knows it exists..... but he doesn't know that for a fact, it's only a (very likely) possibility. So now he has to do the mental arithmetic of what happens to him if it comes out Logan's lawyer or somebody else knew about it, or even if any of the other inner circle are aware of it. So he does the smart thing of telling Karl so that way at least he can say,"I did my duty and immediately informed one of the company's top people!", plus it puts somebody else in the same boat with him so now it isn't HIS decision, it is THEIRS. When Gerri shows up that's another person to put in the same boat and again take the brunt of the decision making away from him, and he makes a real point of simply not directly suggesting anything himself and not specifically agreeing to anything that is suggested.

Then at that point they're all so worried about exposure that they bring in the people mentioned on the paper just so they have their asses covered there, going so far as to bring in Greg (with a question mark!).

Greg's clumsy, utterly unsubtle,"There's a case for me to be the #2!" reaction is hilarious, and Frank's reaction to that is great because he's both genuinely amused by the sheer stupid audacity of it, but also because it must be nice to hear somebody speak who is too gormless to couch everything in double-talk.

Edit: Something I dug is that while people are circling each other for the CEO spot, even if only temporarily (Karl makes no bones that he wants it purely to secure the deal and get that big retirement bonus he's been jonesing for), Tom has no illusions after Karl's brutal "here's what somebody MIGHT say" takedown and is constantly saying,"I'm here to serve, I'm here to serve" and just trying to ensure whoever ends up winning might retain him in some position of authority.

Jerusalem fucked around with this message at 23:33 on Apr 17, 2023

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Karl seems to be the person most freed by Logan's death, except Roman who seems a lot more human now.

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming

beepo posted:

I'd be very surprised if Kerry's stuff wasn't thoroughly rummaged through before it was bagged up. Marcia had it bagged up in the first place so she isn't going to pass up the chance to see what Kerry was hanging on to at the home.
But was it rummaged to fruition?

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
imo the thread title should have been "speculating in a comic mode" but that's just me

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

mcmagic posted:

Ken 100% thinks it was crossed out.

Absolutely. I assumed that was the whole point. "You hated me to the end, you old bastard. Now, I'm going to gently caress your entire legacy." Kendall operating by pure spite is the most Logan choice he can make, but I viewed it as an act of scorched-earth vengeance upon seeing the truth crossed out in front of him.

PostNouveau posted:

Karl seems to be the person most freed by Logan's death, except Roman who seems a lot more human now.

For the executive team, I think everyone but the kids is freed by Logan's death. Karl, Frank, certainly Gerri. Their position was always one bad day away from Logan jettisoning them, but now it's more of a "feast on a whale carcass" situation. They just want to salvage the GoJo deal, then there's a power vacuum to fill.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

IG-88 posted:

I just hope Greg doesn't become CEO or whatever

If it be... If it be the will.... If it should come to pass.

Also, looking back at the beginning of the show, I really appreciated when The Mind Virus (or whatever it was called) was introduced.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Gerri responding to the claim that she was on her way out (which she knows to be true!) with "There's nothing on paper indicating that" was so loving satisfying. Especially funny since she was also among the group trying to discount the value of something that was literally on paper!

panko
Sep 6, 2005

~honda best man~

Big Taint
Oct 19, 2003

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

I want a spinoff show with Karl, Frank, and Gerri.

Yes

SunshineDanceParty posted:

I still kind of think the actual paper they talked about tossing was tossed and it involved Kerry.

I sort of think so too.

Theory about whether Logan crossed out or underlined Kendall: it’s clear that he typed that document, then revisited it some time later with a pencil to make some edits. I think it’s a solid underline because it starts under the name, and if he were crossing it out he would have likely written another name…

OMG GREG?

Edit: ^^ lmao

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Everytime I see the back of Hugo’s head I get a. it loving chuckle. How’s a PR guy got a haircut like that.

Moltke
May 13, 2009
you can clearly see the underline and the pencil addition with the ? in the first scene between Karl and Frank. It's not a different paper.

edit - also rewatching the scene, Frank clearly says "little princes" referring to Ken/Greg, the subtitle "princess" is wrong

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord

Vegetable posted:

What motivation did Logan have to write “Greg?” on that piece of paper?

Sometimes people just scribble.

After his brother Ewan disinherited Greg I think Logan wanted to leave something to him and scribbled to remember to figure something later. And then he never did.