Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Buttchocks
Oct 21, 2020

No, I like my hat, thanks.
Do what the Brady Bunch did: The Rings of Power Variety Hour
Characters singing pop standards then jumping into a pool. Also one character gets replaced by a lookalike.

Wait a minute, this already almost is the Variety Hour version of middle earth

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

I mean the Mandalorian’s cg backdrops are really obvious and it never feels like they’re in most of the spaces on the show. I really hope some studios are willing to continue spending money on real sets and location photography.

Also the city in the last episode had no crowd sims at all, it’s completely uninhabited in wide shots, and in medium shots it only has as many people as can fit in the volume.

Half the costume work looks really rubbery. It kind of works with the Fraggle Rock nature of the show, but I wouldn’t want orcs that looked that fake.

RoP looked lightyears better in practical work and even the CG has more nuance. To suggest that the two shows have similar final images displayed seems nuts to me.

Edit: I suppose we could have gone with Andor, since it's the closest television show in terms of visual extravagance with excellent execution. But it also had fewer locations, more props and costumes that could be repurposed real-world items, and not much in the way of animal/water-tank/atmospheric work.

Bugblatter fucked around with this message at 00:32 on Apr 7, 2023

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

Bugblatter posted:

I mean the Mandalorian’s cg backdrops are really obvious and it never feels like they’re in most of the spaces on the show. I really hope some studios are willing to continue spending money on real sets and location photography.

And as I recall, Mandalorian is novel for being an early adopter for that live-composite big screen tech. The footage isn't keyed, it's just filmed that way. Which should look more "real," but I guess it doesn't matter if the models still look bad.

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."
The Mandalorian looks really good imo. Maybe I'm just easy to please. I loving love all the random puppets they have.

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

Xealot posted:

And as I recall, Mandalorian is novel for being an early adopter for that live-composite big screen tech. The footage isn't keyed, it's just filmed that way. Which should look more "real," but I guess it doesn't matter if the models still look bad.

Yeah, it pioneered the use of live digital backdrops in a volume that Disney+ now uses for all its shows. It's sort of a modern equivalent of rear projection. It's great tech if used well but is prone to the same issues of keyed backdrops if not. Most of Disney's productions have used it in a lazy way, where they do very little in terms of physical prop work and just do everything with the volume. So you wind up with the same issue of the SW prequels where the actors are clearly in a 20m space with little in the fore-to-mid-ground. Like in Willow, whether the characters were in forests or mountains, the 20-meter area around them always has level ground with very few props, and the characters can never interact with the world. Action that requires vertical movement is very limited because that requires going outside. You can never have more characters than fit in the limited space.

It's a great tool for certain uses. Greg Fraiser's use in Season 1 was great, as was his use of it in The Batman. But in the last year Disney has been using it as a solution for... ever building sets at all and it makes everything feel very stagey.

External Organs posted:

The Mandalorian looks really good imo. Maybe I'm just easy to please. I loving love all the random puppets they have.

I mean I adore the janky puppets. I use the Fraggle Rock reference in an affectionate way for Mandalorian, 70s-esque puppet work is a great fit for the show. But I wouldn't want orcs that look as rubbery as the swamp man pirate in a LotR story.

covidstomper58
Nov 8, 2020

I can't wait for the Elves to come nagging for the Dwarves to dig up some more mithril.

From an ill-fated thread:

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Bugblatter posted:

Yeah, it pioneered the use of live digital backdrops in a volume that Disney+ now uses for all its shows. It's sort of a modern equivalent of rear projection. It's great tech if used well but is prone to the same issues of keyed backdrops if not. Most of Disney's productions have used it in a lazy way, where they do very little in terms of physical prop work and just do everything with the volume. So you wind up with the same issue of the SW prequels where the actors are clearly in a 20m space with little in the fore-to-mid-ground. Like in Willow, whether the characters were in forests or mountains, the 20-meter area around them always has level ground with very few props, and the characters can never interact with the world. Action that requires vertical movement is very limited because that requires going outside. You can never have more characters than fit in the limited space.

Ahh, so they've invented the holodeck :v:

BB2K
Oct 9, 2012
Ironically scenes in the holodeck in TNG looks better because they were filmed with real things

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

I liked this show a lot. I also love the hobbit movies extended editions

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

A MIRACLE posted:

Someone call a doctor

covidstomper58
Nov 8, 2020

Taear posted:

Someone call a doctor

I learned from the very good show they are called artificers.

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

A MIRACLE posted:

:dafuq:

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

Taear posted:

Someone call a doctor

This man is already dead.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

I've never seen the extended versions of the Hobbit trilogy, because I hated the originals so much that I didn't want to subject myself to more. Did they add anything of value?

For context, I think the extended versions of the LotR trilogy are the only real way to watch them. But I still loved the original versions in theaters, which is why I wanted to watch the extended versions in the first place.

Nobody Interesting
Mar 29, 2013

One way, dead end... Street signs are such fitting metaphors for the human condition.

There's a bit where the dwarves get naked and whip each other with towels.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Nobody Interesting posted:

I think you're joking...but I can't risk it...

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

there’s more dwarf antics and songs and stuff I think, I’ve never seen the non extended editions

watching the lotr extendeds now

Rassle
Dec 4, 2011

Nobody Interesting posted:

Where there's a whip *whipcrack*, there's a wang!

Buttchocks
Oct 21, 2020

No, I like my hat, thanks.
Honestly it could have benefited from more song and dance sequences.

Nobody Interesting
Mar 29, 2013

One way, dead end... Street signs are such fitting metaphors for the human condition.

thrawn527 posted:

I think you're joking...but I can't risk it...

I truly wish I was.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.
I own, and have watched the extended version of the first Hobbit movie and I couldn't tell you anything of consequence that was added. I have not seen the extended cut for either of the other two because I don't hate myself that much.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

thrawn527 posted:

I've never seen the extended versions of the Hobbit trilogy, because I hated the originals so much that I didn't want to subject myself to more. Did they add anything of value?

Hardly value, but the extended versions make them even more tedious and unbearable, and depending on your point of view, perhaps more shameful and offensive

covidstomper58
Nov 8, 2020

MrMojok posted:

Hardly value, but the extended versions make them even more tedious and unbearable, and depending on your point of view, perhaps more shameful and offensive

You are incorrect sir, nevar forget the twirly whirlies.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cuu1SKxSqOg

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Finally caught up on the thread after watching the show a couple months ago. Have to say it was pretty not good. Maybe not actively bad, but not good.

Still can't get over how loving badly the whole Mount Doom thing was executed though. Like why was the dam (that was apparently part of an Elven fort?) rigged to demolish itself when the evil sword was inserted into it? Why did the volcano have a massive eruption when the tiny amount of water that would have reached it via the orc canals hit it, that's not a thing volcanoes do. There's loving snow on it, water obviously gets in there all the time anyway. None of this is necessary because you could just have the sword set off the volcano via magic if you really want to lean into the evil MacGuffin. Then everyone is engulfed in a pyroclastic flow from the volcano, but don't worry everyone is fine, except for poor Isuldur, who is of course fine because obviously.

I also read Bret Devereaux's excellent columns (Part I: https://acoup.blog/2022/12/16/collections-why-rings-of-powers-middle-earth-feels-flat/) on it after that and god drat you just can't unsee the flaws once you read them. The material culture of the show really makes zero sense, a problem that the PJ films had no problem with.

It sure was pretty to look at though I guess, and it was actually nice to see the cast of Spartacus all turning up.

E: god drat I love Bret's writing:

"ACOUP.blog posted:

Celebrimbor everyone, ostensibly the world’s greatest and apparently dumbest craftsman. Also that bronze protective plate is silly but also shows that Celebrimbor already knows how alloys work.

PittTheElder fucked around with this message at 06:09 on Apr 18, 2023

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

covidstomper58 posted:

loving hell. I feel ashamed for just having watched this.

Plucky Brit
Nov 7, 2009

Swing low, sweet chariot

Buttchocks posted:

Honestly it could have benefited from more song and dance sequences.
The best moment across all three films is the Dwarves singing Far Over The Misty Mountains. It's criminal that they never did a full version.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m5BETb-hLgA

Diamonds On MY Fish
Dec 10, 2008

I WAS BORN THIS WAY
I watched the first Hobbit movie in the theater on opening day.
It was poo poo. I didn't see the rest.

Recently, a friend told me about the Cardinal Cut, which takes footage from all 3 movies and trims out anything that deviates from the book.

It was still poo poo.

pidan
Nov 6, 2012

Same, I watched the first Hobbit movie, liked the singing, then watched it get worse and worse through its runtime. Didn't watch the other two.

feller
Jul 5, 2006

PittTheElder posted:

Finally caught up on the thread after watching the show a couple months ago. Have to say it was pretty not good. Maybe not actively bad, but not good.

Still can't get over how loving badly the whole Mount Doom thing was executed though. Like why was the dam (that was apparently part of an Elven fort?) rigged to demolish itself when the evil sword was inserted into it? Why did the volcano have a massive eruption when the tiny amount of water that would have reached it via the orc canals hit it, that's not a thing volcanoes do. There's loving snow on it, water obviously gets in there all the time anyway. None of this is necessary because you could just have the sword set off the volcano via magic if you really want to lean into the evil MacGuffin. Then everyone is engulfed in a pyroclastic flow from the volcano, but don't worry everyone is fine, except for poor Isuldur, who is of course fine because obviously.

I also read Bret Devereaux's excellent columns (Part I: https://acoup.blog/2022/12/16/collections-why-rings-of-powers-middle-earth-feels-flat/) on it after that and god drat you just can't unsee the flaws once you read them. The material culture of the show really makes zero sense, a problem that the PJ films had no problem with.

It sure was pretty to look at though I guess, and it was actually nice to see the cast of Spartacus all turning up.

E: god drat I love Bret's writing:

TBH, crassus, and the rest of spartacus, got me through those really bad beginning, middle, and end eps.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
Peter Jackson sort of sucks and it's a miracle that the Lord of the Rings movies were mostly great

They could not come even close to recapturing the magic of those movies with The Hobbit movies.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

covidstomper58 posted:

Am I hearing not one but two Wilhelm screams in there??

Hobo Clown
Oct 16, 2012

Here it is, Baby.
Your killer track.

The only Hobbit movie I saw in theaters was the first one, and the only thing I remember about it was hating HFR

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
Peter Jackson should have canned the hobbit films and focused his efforts on making Bad Taste 2.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Hobo Clown posted:

The only Hobbit movie I saw in theaters was the first one, and the only thing I remember about it was hating HFR

Have the studios stopped doing HFR? I haven't heard word one about it since the Hobbit movies, not even in the context of people arguing over whether it's good or bad. Only explanation I can think of is that they gave up and pretended it never happened

Llamadeus
Dec 20, 2005

Data Graham posted:

Have the studios stopped doing HFR? I haven't heard word one about it since the Hobbit movies, not even in the context of people arguing over whether it's good or bad. Only explanation I can think of is that they gave up and pretended it never happened
Avatar 2 did some and to much the same reaction

Hobo Clown
Oct 16, 2012

Here it is, Baby.
Your killer track.

Llamadeus posted:

Avatar 2 did some and to much the same reaction

Do you mean certain scenes were in HFR, or were some theaters screening the whole movie that way? If it's the former I don't remember noticing, so maybe the tech has improved.

Llamadeus
Dec 20, 2005
Certain scenes, but I imagine some theatres showed the whole thing at 24.

ozmunkeh
Feb 28, 2008

hey guys what is happening in this thread
It’s criminal GdT didn’t get to make those movies.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

ozmunkeh posted:

It’s criminal GdT didn’t get to make those movies.

I go back and forth on his work lately, but at the very least it would have been different, which is what I think the trilogy needed. I love the LotR trilogy. One of my favorite series of movies of all time. But if you were going to do the Hobbit, it really needed to be different, I think. Maybe this is just with the benefit of hindsight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog
Feels like GdT's been replaced by Waititi as the "nerd darling that gets attached to a hundred projects that never end up being made".