Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
Microsoft 365
(Office)

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
the suite formerly known as office

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

infernal machines posted:

we use edge for a bunch of our clients because it's just chrome but with sso and account integration. it would be fine if microsoft weren't microsoft and could resist loving it up with their value-adds for services no one wants

they can't, but for like, a few months, it was pretty good.

sso works fine in chrome for me on my garbaeg windows work laptop, op

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

all my whining about edge must be understood in the context of: using chrome? embracing the google ecosystem?! lol, lmao, dream on

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Carthag Tuek posted:

sso works fine in chrome for me on my garbaeg windows work laptop, op

it works fine as long as you're signed in with your microsoft 365 credentials. this is not a default. on edge we can use gpo/intune policies to make the default profile tied to their microsoft 365 profile and everything "just works" when accessing microsoft cloud services, etc.

it's just streamlining poo poo so that people can't gently caress it up by doing their own thing with the browser and then get mad when half their online poo poo signs into the wrong account

infernal machines fucked around with this message at 14:39 on Apr 18, 2023

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

well i never set anything up aside from installing chrome so maybe the it folks configured something?

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

microsoft has been so good at locking businesses into their garbage office 365 ecosystem and it makes me unreasonably mad

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
every alternative is hugely worse and office 365 comes with useful stuff like azure ad

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

literally the only office document ive used at work in 4 years is the excel spreadsheet that a coworker set up for keeping track of hours

no word docs at all (not even reading them), no powerpoints

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

r u ready to WALK posted:

microsoft has been so good at locking businesses into their garbage office 365 ecosystem and it makes me unreasonably mad

it's not good, but it's the best

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

gsuite is an absolute joke and that's before you get to google's propensity to kill features and services on a whim with no notice

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

txt & csv 4 lyf

burning swine
May 26, 2004

Truman Peyote posted:

a few years ago microsoft bought Swiftkey X, my favorite phone keyboard. As you're typing it gives you 3 suggestions for next words you're likely to use, which legitimately speeds up my phone typing a lot. Today, MS has finally removed a bunch of screen space that was dedicated to those options in favor of an unremovable Bing button

I updated swiftkey today just to see if this was true. So far nothing, but I also noticed while poking around in the settings that I'm not logged in to the app with an MS account. Try that maybe?

I've been using swiftkey since my HTC diamond running winmo 6 :pressf:

Just a Moron
Nov 11, 2021

Some embedded hardware I work with requires Silverlight to interface with its configuration pages and since I no longer have access to IE I have to use Edge in legacy mode. First of all, wtf does Edge just not have Silverlight as part of its legacy emulation. Second of all, yes I'm very sure I want to access this webpage in legacy mode, no you do not need to disable this setting and ask me again every time I reload it in the same browser session!

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
oh you're in IE mode! did you really want to be in IE mode? click here to see it in Edge which is clearly better! CLICK NOW

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

i do love that their promotional nags run regardless of whether you've opened ie via compatibility mode in edge

i mean, it's because they don't give a gently caress, but still, it's very funny, even the hundredth time you have to dismiss a pop-over nag screen to be able to navigate to the thing you intended to do. never gets old

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

as a user of microsft products, the thing i appreciate the most is every single motherfucking one of them tripping over themselves to tell me how i should use them, nearly every time i open them. just loving bukkake me with toasts and prompts and unskippable intro animations and dialogues after ever single point release update. never stop interrupting my workflow, please. there is nothing i love more than being forced to interrupt my train of thought to acknowledge that you've changed the product, again.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

i had a great conversation with someone today where i got to explain that yes, onedrive is broken, and no, i cannot make it less broken than it is at the moment. regardless of what we do, it will remain a buggy piece of poo poo, and there's no fixing it. you can work around it, or you can call me to complain, and then work around it, but those are your choices.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

as a user of microsft products, the thing i appreciate the most is every single motherfucking one of them tripping over themselves to tell me how i should use them, nearly every time i open them. just loving bukkake me with toasts and prompts and unskippable intro animations and dialogues after ever single point release update. never stop interrupting my workflow, please. there is nothing i love more than being forced to interrupt my train of thought to acknowledge that you've changed the product, again.

this is what happens when you tie mbos to specific feature usage

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
Got it!

Just a Moron
Nov 11, 2021

That's some real sicko poo poo infernal machines

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Maybe Later

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
thinkin bout that toast bukkake

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Just a Moron posted:

That's some real sicko poo poo infernal machines

what can i say, the only possible explanation for continuing to use this poo poo is some kind of sadomasochistic fetish, clearly

Weaponized Autism
Mar 26, 2006

All aboard the Gravy train!
Hair Elf

tell me there's a reg key or some option to remove this

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

Weaponized Autism posted:

yes you install windows 10 op

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Weaponized Autism posted:

it's just preview builds for now, so it may or may not make it to release. if there is a policy to disable it, it'll be enterprise only, so yeah, at best a reg hack for pro

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

Pinterest Mom posted:

man this is what windows looks like now??

(from this blog, which also points that that one of the news stories being presented to this new user account for this guy's kid is about a mass shooting. i hadn't really thought about how obnoxious that behaviour, to display news front and centre out-of-the-box, would be to parents)

i was wondering how the gently caress are you supposed to close that window there's no X button but then i realised it's the start menu :lol:

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

Just a Moron posted:

Some embedded hardware I work with requires Silverlight to interface with its configuration pages and since I no longer have access to IE I have to use Edge in legacy mode. First of all, wtf does Edge just not have Silverlight as part of its legacy emulation. Second of all, yes I'm very sure I want to access this webpage in legacy mode, no you do not need to disable this setting and ask me again every time I reload it in the same browser session!

are you me?

Always thought it was dumb that Edge doesn't detect that "Download Silverlight!!!" page and redirect to IE Mode.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Pile Of Garbage posted:

i was wondering how the gently caress are you supposed to close that window there's no X button but then i realised it's the start menu :lol:

username/post combo

Just a Moron
Nov 11, 2021

~Coxy posted:

are you me?

Always thought it was dumb that Edge doesn't detect that "Download Silverlight!!!" page and redirect to IE Mode.

Exactly! And they should have silverlight already a part of the IE mode, don't make me go to some third party website to download an installer.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

lol. you think they're going to maintain and distribute silverlight too?

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

VDP1 posted:

Allow Telemetry being set to none is only honored by Enterprise and Education SKUs.

By default Microsoft gets every Window.Title ("app state change") and that's no goood

I finally got our MSP to change this so MSFT doesn't get every Window.Title, set it to level 0 (Security). Hopefully that doesn't gently caress anything up long term, Microsoft is a little weasely that it will hurt Windows Update stuff but upon further reading that's just the telemetry that shows they hosed up an update.

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Best viewed on Orgasma Plasma
Lipstick Apathy

it's just preview builds for now, so it may or may not make it to release. if there is a policy to disable it, it'll be enterprise only, so yeah, at best a reg hack for pro

steal enterprise if you value your sanity

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

enterprise will (probably) let you turn poo poo off but every new nuisance will have its own group policy and will default to the most intrusive setting when it is introduced

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

any of ya'll done a defender for endpoint deployment? i just did one, purely because we need vuln mgmt for an environment and have Enterprise E5 and really its not so much a deployment more just an unfucking it. the number of domains you have to bypass from HTTPS intercept is staggering. microsoft give you a loving spreadsheet and its enormous: https://download.microsoft.com/download/6/b/f/6bfff670-47c3-4e45-b01b-64a2610eaefa/mde-urls-commercial.xlsx.

jammyozzy
Dec 7, 2006

Is that a challenge?
Something has broken copying from calc.exe calc.appx only, on my work PC

wtf

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

congratulations, you got hacked

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
still having a laugh at our Enterprise windows including Groove Music, the MS Store, and Movies & TV apps lol