Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

A similar thing happened 10 years earlier with "what the bleep do we know", a neo-spiritualism film which tried to connect spirituality with quantum woo

quote:

David Albert, a professor at the Columbia University physics department, has accused the filmmakers of warping his ideas to fit a spiritual agenda. "I don't think it's quite right to say I was 'tricked' into appearing," he said in a statement reposted by a critic on "What the Bleep's" Internet forum, "but it is certainly the case that I was edited in such a way as to completely suppress my actual views about the matters the movie discusses. I am, indeed, profoundly unsympathetic to attempts at linking quantum mechanics with consciousness. Moreover, I explained all that, at great length, on camera, to the producers of the film ... Had I known that I would have been so radically misrepresented in the movie, I would certainly not have agreed to be filmed."

"I certainly do not subscribe to the 'Ramtha School on Enlightenment,' whatever that is!" he finished.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord

echinopsis posted:

tbh I don’t remember if I stopped believing in creation as much as just started challenging my own faith

toward end of my christian life we went to a church that was much more bible based, it wasn’t pentecostal

and a consequence of putting a lot more time into study of the bible was naturally questioning things like why these 66 books? and the end answer to all my questions was that you have to make that leap
of faith, that there were no satisfying answers to those questions you just had to believe. and I couldn’t

and then I went to university at this stage and was studying science and I remember being in a tent with my now ex wife and telling her I didn’t think jesus was real anymore (or not the son of god anyway) and she was sad but in the morning it did make her realise that I was the one here with her and not jesus and she followed soon

and then did the typical swing the other way into obnoxious atheism lol, this was peak dick dawkins era too

check out the Religion for Breakfast channel some day, it focus mostly on archeological and anthropological aspects of religions. it's made by this guy who is a phd in early christianism iirc, so it's full of interesting stuff that changed my view of what early christians were probably like.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLHsXddZFR9ANivJTYru79qCdNp-Wv-k4b

he never goes into theological questions but you can kinda infer some things from the way he keep analysing the gospels as literary pieces of fiction with their weird spinoffs (the gnostic gospels)

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

there's also Sunday School Dropouts - a podcast where two people go through the bible one book at a time and have a light-hearted talk about the content and the historical context.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pUgvAoTzWBA

MrQueasy
Nov 15, 2005

Probiot-ICK
Lost a bunch of productivity this morning to mild disassociation resulting from this lady's Youtube Shorts about 3d actors influencing a 2d universe and its implications for 4d on 3d space.

https://www.youtube.com/@tibees

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

this dude rocks

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

MrQueasy posted:

Lost a bunch of productivity this morning to mild disassociation resulting from this lady's Youtube Shorts about 3d actors influencing a 2d universe and its implications for 4d on 3d space.

https://www.youtube.com/@tibees
Huh, that's a really interesting idea.
I've no clue how you'd go about making a hypothesis for it or even testing it, but it's interesting!

Could make for a fascinating science fiction book, too.

MrQueasy
Nov 15, 2005

Probiot-ICK

BlankSystemDaemon posted:

I've no clue how you'd go about making a hypothesis for it or even testing it, but it's interesting!

I don't think she was claiming that 4d entities exist, thankfully. Just a mathematical explanation of how changing the number of dimensions makes everything odd.

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

improve the lives of everyone

BlankSystemDaemon posted:

There's actually a really easy test! A four dimensional actor can rotate a left-handed glove and cause it to become right-handed in our dimension :2bong:

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

A four dimensional being can also add or remove objects from a closed three-dimensional space without passing through its walls. So the next time something in your house goes missing, look around for signs of four-dimensional interference, like books that have had all their text mirrored

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 04:04 on Apr 18, 2023

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

Shaggar posted:

this dude rocks

the educational part is being able to peer into the mind of a savant

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

MrQueasy posted:

I don't think she was claiming that 4d entities exist, thankfully. Just a mathematical explanation of how changing the number of dimensions makes everything odd.
Yeah, I get that - it's just that I don't recall having heard of the idea before.

Corla Plankun posted:

There's actually a really easy test! A four dimensional actor can rotate a left-handed glove and cause it to become right-handed in our dimension :2bong:
:hmmno:

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
i’ve always hated those analogies that draw on flatlanders because we we can conceptualise a 2d world as if it was a video game but it still makes no sense as a conceptual but possible universe, and so using it to relate 2d to 3d is kinda bullshit imo, just coz math can describe something doesn’t make it so.

I wanna watch those video tho

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

fart simpson posted:

the educational part is being able to peer into the mind of a savant

yeah its fuckin cool.

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lqmxvc2YgjM

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WD2UrB7zepo

MrQueasy
Nov 15, 2005

Probiot-ICK

Man, why did you have to tease me. I thought there was a new video PopCultureDetective since the Marvel episode.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

just to make some spicy sticks? seems hardly worth it

Tweezer Reprise
Aug 6, 2013

It hasn't got six strings, but it's a lot of fun.

doing all this in my apartment to show respect to first responders

Dijkstracula
Mar 18, 2003

You can't spell 'vector field' without me, Professor!

not quite as comfy as their smaller manufacturing videos but boy howdy, worth it for the end

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

somebody recommended a video about the fashion in muppet christmas carol and oh god it is terminal youtube bullshit. i am so disappointed

what would have been good: "here is rizzo's first costume. this is why it's cool, these are the details that you should pay attention to"
bad: (shouting) "LOOK AT IT! LOOK AT THE SMOCKING! [costume designer] YOU ARE A QUEEN! Look at the the little cute mousey!"

this is not me uncharitably paraphrasing. this is what she's actually doing.

anyway im gonna try to watch some more but if you have a low tolerance for the, uh, youtube house style like i do my current recommendation is to delete it from your 'watch later' queue

e: finished it; it got better than it started but i still give it like a c+/b-. 30 minute video for, idk, 12? minutes of content. some people like or dont mind the super high energy youtube thing though so dont take my dislike too seriously

Achmed Jones fucked around with this message at 20:19 on Apr 26, 2023

mystes
May 31, 2006

Achmed Jones posted:

somebody recommended a video about the fashion in muppet christmas carol and oh god it is terminal youtube bullshit. i am so disappointed

what would have been good: "here is rizzo's first costume. this is why it's cool, these are the details that you should pay attention to"
bad: (shouting) "LOOK AT IT! LOOK AT THE SMOCKING! [costume designer] YOU ARE A QUEEN! Look at the the little cute mousey!"

It's because that's the laziest/easiest possible way to make a video, like all those movie critique channels where the "critique" is effectively just summarizing stuff that happens in the movie

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
here, have an old educational film:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cLUD_NGE370

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

i absolutely love all the ingenious little explanatory models they used to make for old educational films. that colored rope on a drum thing is fantastic and communicates the idea of rasterization and serial transmission perfectly. today it would just be a dull CG rendering.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

Achmed Jones posted:

anyway im gonna try to watch some more but if you have a low tolerance for the, uh, youtube house style like i do my current recommendation is to delete it from your 'watch later' queue

e: finished it; it got better than it started but i still give it like a c+/b-. 30 minute video for, idk, 12? minutes of content. some people like or dont mind the super high energy youtube thing though so dont take my dislike too seriously

NinetySevenA
Feb 10, 2013

i worked on a hot stamp line for a bit. it heats steel up to 900c. it was like 99% automated but sometimes we would have to go in and take the steel off the line and it was unbearably hot. and these guys here are just pulling slag out of molten iron right next to the furnace.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

[image of that meme drawing guy with the grim exhausted expression and burned out eyes]

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Youtube channels that are 100% completely playing to the algorithm are extremely cursed and more than a little creepy.

I know its well-trodden ground at this point, but those kids channels that are just thousands and thousands of hours of incomprehensible animation designed to keep toddler eyeballs on ipads are deeply disturbing

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

youtube should go back to showing a frame from the video as the thumbnail

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Beve Stuscemi posted:

Youtube channels that are 100% completely playing to the algorithm are extremely cursed and more than a little creepy.

I know its well-trodden ground at this point, but those kids channels that are just thousands and thousands of hours of incomprehensible animation designed to keep toddler eyeballs on ipads are deeply disturbing

they make things harder for more normal channels too. it seems like every video creator has to err so far on the side of not breaking one of youtube's arbitrary advertiser-friendly rules that it gets annoying.

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

how much of it is actually even meaningful and how much of it is pure cargo cult a la "unalive" on tiktok and similar?

i really wonder if the dumb thumbnail thing is just "your videos do better when you make a thumbnail. any thumbnail that doesn't suck is fine." but people misunderstood why it worked

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Achmed Jones posted:

how much of it is actually even meaningful and how much of it is pure cargo cult a la "unalive" on tiktok and similar?

i really wonder if the dumb thumbnail thing is just "your videos do better when you make a thumbnail. any thumbnail that doesn't suck is fine." but people misunderstood why it worked
I'm sure it's a good mix, but that's part of the problem.

The corporations with the most profit margin of the world are deliberately leaving it unsaid what the exact rules are, because that way they have more leeway in tweaking the algorithm any time the corporations they need to satisfy complain.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Sweevo posted:

Yeah, i'd be fine with not being able to upload custom thumbs.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Sweevo posted:

A randomly selected frame isn't going to be that useful as the thumbnail for many videos and allowing the uploader to select the frame would basically be equivalent to allowing a custom thumbnail

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

im a fucking monster

i'd rather see 25 blurry images not representative of the content than 25 identical thumbnails of people pulling faces

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

mystes posted:

A randomly selected frame isn't going to be that useful as the thumbnail for many videos and allowing the uploader to select the frame would basically be equivalent to allowing a custom thumbnail

People got around the old system because Youtube always took the same frame for the thumbnail, so they would have one frame of their video that was the thumbnail they wanted and basically brute forced their way into the current system

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

Jonny 290 posted:

Yeah, i'd be fine with not being able to upload custom thumbs.

i just told sundar that jonny290 would be fine with this. lets see

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
this is p good
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YuojAtE8YCY

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

It's low-key amusing that a video with a guy talking about saturation has audio that's all over the place.
Some segments are clearly recorded in post and set over B-roll, and it's pretty jarring.

Also, saturation is big part of the loudness war that's been destroying music for decades.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I found the bit about odd and even kinda interesting

it makes me want a real oscilloscope.

like, I only want it for the fun of looking at waves. I had an idea of trying to make one with arduino or whatever, but instead of doing any kind of analysis on the signal to determine frequency to display the wave, just also take a midi input and use the lowest note as the repeating frequency. genius

it was all part of my fantasy regarding doing some kind of live performance, have a visible wave display for shits and gigs