Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT
Has anyone else’s Vinegar stopping blocking YouTube ads lately? Still get the Picture in Picture but now I’m seeing ads. It is enabled in Safari.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Silly Burrito posted:

Has anyone else’s Vinegar stopping blocking YouTube ads lately? Still get the Picture in Picture but now I’m seeing ads. It is enabled in Safari.

I have lots of success with Sponsorblock

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

Corb3t posted:

I have lots of success with Sponsorblock

Oh man, I love this app on other platforms and didn’t even think to look for it in iOS. Thanks.

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib

Silly Burrito posted:

Mine was still working the other day. There are two places for settings for that app, maybe check both?

Or failing that email the dev, he’s pretty responsive.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
Is there a way to customize what times I get the “it’s going to rain” notifications from Weather app? I keep waking up in the morning and seeing missed notifications at like 3am saying it’s going to rain soon or that rain is stopping soon at 4am. The issue isn’t the notifications because I don’t see them anyway with DND/sleep mode. I just don’t care about weather notifications between 11pm and 6am, but I like seeing them every other time when I’m awake and it actually matters.

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

Dark sky does all that I think

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

kri kri posted:

:negative:

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

Sorry 😢

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

kri kri posted:

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
The Google search app on the iPhone likes to hoard tabs. Up until recently, there was a Close All button on the tab history page. Google with all their wisdom decided to remove that button. The gently caress is wrong with companies.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

idk why would I use a whole app to search things when I can just type it in the browser bar

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

Endless Mike posted:

idk why would I use a whole app to search things when I can just type it in the browser bar

Lots of the time I just want a one-off search and don’t want to have to deal with the tab in the future so I pull up DDG or Google.

At least, I used to, now I almost always use perplexity.ai’s app.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Are there any apps out there that will scan your contacts and automatically add a profile picture to business contacts? Seeing a business's icon for message notifications is really nice, and I don't want to spend the time manually adding icons myself.

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001
There's no way in Apple Music to share playlists that have iTunes Match uploaded songs in them, is there? I thought maybe they would share across users in my family plan, but they don't. Then I thought maybe if I uploaded the same tracks to iTunes Match for both users, then it would work, but it appears to still not work.

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

I don’t have TikTok, never have. Girlfriend sends them to me sometimes and when I click the link it opens through my browser.

Today, I opened one through messenger and the app opened. When I go to the App Library and type in “Tik” it is listed. I can open it and view random videos, but it prompts ne to “download the full app” if I want to view anything but the random FYP thing. I cannot pull it to my Home Screen, and there is no option to delete it in my settings.

What’s going on here?

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

It’s probably doing something with the web app wrapper you can do. Like when you add a webpage to your Home Screen and it opens like it’s a native app.

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

Yorkshire Pudding posted:

I don’t have TikTok, never have. Girlfriend sends them to me sometimes and when I click the link it opens through my browser.

Today, I opened one through messenger and the app opened. When I go to the App Library and type in “Tik” it is listed. I can open it and view random videos, but it prompts ne to “download the full app” if I want to view anything but the random FYP thing. I cannot pull it to my Home Screen, and there is no option to delete it in my settings.

What’s going on here?

https://developer.apple.com/app-clips/

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Yorkshire Pudding posted:

What’s going on here?

App Clips babyyyy

You find them in gas stations sometimes too.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

OldSenileGuy posted:

There's no way in Apple Music to share playlists that have iTunes Match uploaded songs in them, is there? I thought maybe they would share across users in my family plan, but they don't. Then I thought maybe if I uploaded the same tracks to iTunes Match for both users, then it would work, but it appears to still not work.

nope, if the status is "matched" or "uploaded" those tracks are only visible to you. it has to be an apple music track specifically to appear in the shared playlist for them

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
I forgot all about app clips. Don’t think I’ve seen a single one since they came out!

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

Question Mark Mound posted:

I forgot all about app clips. Don’t think I’ve seen a single one since they came out!

what the gently caress is an app clip

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

One of the food ordering services uses it and will create an App Clip for ordering food at restaurants. That's the only time I've seen one

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla

Grassy Knowles posted:

what the gently caress is an app clip
I dunno, what’s an app clip with you.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

I dunno, what’s an app clip with you.

oh my god I think i've seen two of those circle logos ever and thought "what AR bullshit is this"

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Funnily enough I re-learned about app clips this weekend too (file it under ‘things Apple add to iOS that get big applause at WWDC then never utilized by any devs because if requires a modicum of effort’). I scanned a QR code to pay a check at a restaurant then noticed later it downloaded an app clip to enable this. Kinda neat and super seamless, but not sure they need to live among my regular apps on the phone.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

App Clips are perfect for something like parking apps - I don't know how many parking apps I've had to download for every random Detroit metro suburb just so I can park on the street.

Unfortunately, all of those cities funding for a parking app is probably dried up by now, so there's no way they could possibly update their apps to support app clips, apple pay, or sign in with apple (I thought this was mandated?).

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
I've only seen app clips at Exxon/Mobil gas stations.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

It’s kinda baffling that the stock calendars app doesn’t have a templates functionality.

It’s one of my favorite aspects of Fantastical, and you can even add scheduled tasks/reminders from it easily:

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

EL BROMANCE posted:

Funnily enough I re-learned about app clips this weekend too (file it under ‘things Apple add to iOS that get big applause at WWDC then never utilized by any devs because if requires a modicum of effort’). I scanned a QR code to pay a check at a restaurant then noticed later it downloaded an app clip to enable this. Kinda neat and super seamless, but not sure they need to live among my regular apps on the phone.

I had the exact same thing happen a few weeks ago. I remembered app clips, but had never actually seen one before. It actually worked really well. I could see the benefit if they were more widely adopted.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Please don’t freeze your coffee beans.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

withak posted:

Please don’t freeze your coffee beans.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=5uT5_IWWb00

https://manchestercoffeearchive.com/freezing-coffee/

The more you know.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
I bought fantastical way back when and I just don’t find the premium features compelling enough to subscribe, but I still enjoy the basic app.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Fantastical’s basic functionality is good enough most of the time, and solves a lot of UX issues that bother me with the default calendars. I ended up splitting a premium family membership with some other nerds on the internet and it ends up being $18 a year.

I really like Fantastical because it….

• Let’s me enter events using natural text input
• Shows colored dots for specific calendars
• Has a scrolling list view with monthly view at the top
• Integrates with scheduled reminders
• Shows upcoming daily weather
• Different calendar set views (me + shared partners, personal, work, etc)
• Allows me to display specific calendars based on a schedule (only show work calendar on weekdays from 8 to 5)
• Diverse collection of widget views
• Templates

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla

Corb3t posted:

It’s kinda baffling that the stock calendars app doesn’t have a templates functionality.
If you're handy with Shortcuts, you should be able to write one that lets you select a date and have it add in pre-set calendar entries from there, but it's a nuisance it's not in the app itself. I don't think I can even duplicate an existing entry like in Google Calendar?

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

If you're handy with Shortcuts, you should be able to write one that lets you select a date and have it add in pre-set calendar entries from there, but it's a nuisance it's not in the app itself. I don't think I can even duplicate an existing entry like in Google Calendar?

Long-press on the existing item you want to duplicate.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla

Kalman posted:

Long-press on the existing item you want to duplicate.
Was gonna post that this doesn’t work on iPad, but turns out it does work when you’re in week view but not month view.

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001

Weedle posted:

nope, if the status is "matched" or "uploaded" those tracks are only visible to you. it has to be an apple music track specifically to appear in the shared playlist for them

Huh, that's strange. It totally makes sense that "uploaded" songs would only be visible to me.

But doesn't "matched" essentially mean "you've added this file to your library, but we've replaced it ('matched it') with the version that's on Apple Music"

Seems like those SHOULD be visible to others?

Dicty Bojangles
Apr 14, 2001

OldSenileGuy posted:

Huh, that's strange. It totally makes sense that "uploaded" songs would only be visible to me.

But doesn't "matched" essentially mean "you've added this file to your library, but we've replaced it ('matched it') with the version that's on Apple Music"

Seems like those SHOULD be visible to others?

~~licensing~~

(I agree with you it should be visible, but I’m sure there are clauses against it in the agreements between IP owners & Apple, possibly because the source of your file that was matched is unknown to Apple)

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006
I’m using my iPad more and more as my main computer. Google Docs native app is really bad, especially if you use an external monitor. No multiple windows, weird bugs, etc. Using it in Safari is much much better, but there are still lots of bugs and things like scrolling can be a real pain.

I’ve tried using Craft, another native app, which I really liked until I realised that it uses a weird formatting system that doesn’t play nice with any other place where you might need to share text, and its all come crashing down - pasting my nicely formatted bullet point list into outlook has been an exercise in abject misery. Exporting into formats that other human beings might use, like Word or Gdocs is also proving really unreliable. (Hilariously, you can tell this is an iOS app for Apple brained people because the top post on Reddit concerning this acknowledges the shortcoming but says ‘it’s not Craft’s fault’ but is in fact the fault of the majority of people and apps that do not use Craft).

Anyway - do people have any recommendations for good and nice iPad word processing apps that run well on the OS and also play nice with the rest of the world? Google drive integration would be a huge bonus. Should I just bite the bullet and get a Microsoft Office subscription?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
Pages?