Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

Wayne Knight posted:

nah, this is a step further. they normalized the view that the only valid styles are the ones that they have products for, cobranded with their on screen personalities. If it doesn't look like this it's "dated". They have wrecked some gorgeous homes on that godforsaken channel because they didn't conform to their identity.

bring back wood paneling you cowards!!

yes my point is that magazines did this first

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

a thought: what if there is no "next big thing" in tech? what if all the ai and ar and vr and connected health and the rest of it just doesn't pan out commercially? because actual business results are pointing that that way

quote:

The numbers show a slowdown from last quarter, when Reality Labs lost $4.28 billion on $727 million of revenue. For all of last year, Reality Labs recorded an operating loss of $13.72 billion on $2.16 billion in sales, underscoring how VR and AR technologies have yet to reach the mainstream.

quote:

Amazon has decided to shutter its health-focused Halo division, The Verge has learned. Amazon has stopped selling its three Halo products and plans to lay off portions of the Halo team.

quote:

In addition to the death of AltSpaceVR, Microsoft has also culled the entire team behind the popular MRTK framework. MRTK (opens in new tab) is Microsoft's "Mixed Reality Tool Kit," which is a cross-platform framework for spatial anchors in virtual reality spaces. MRTK was built for Unity VR integrations, and works with Meta's headsets with a focus on HoloLens.
I feel like a ton of the remaining air in the vr/ar space is because apple hasn't shown its hand yet and if they haven't "solved" it with what they show at the developers conference it's going to get even uglier. the ai hype train is going full speed but it's due for a massively costly error

basically how many of these companies can exist without eternal growth?

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

idk, it’s hard to suggest that x won’t work when all the big examples of x by some of those companies have just been priced really high and also not good enough to work. imo that doesn’t mean that the fundamental idea is fatally flawed so much as no one’s figured it out yet (this doesn’t mean that apple will be the one to do it, but i think they have a better chance than most)

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
if you stop growing, you whiplash sharply in valuation because the valuation priced in growth and now does not but otherwise capitalism can also milk a decrepit business for literal centuries

you can't get investment without growth

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

I currently work for a wildly profitable mature business and the market really doesn't like that

the solution is, of course, MORE SERVICES REVENUE

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

https://twitter.com/modestproposal1/status/1651285866357071874

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

Wanna run with my crew huh? Rule cyberspace and crunch numbers like I do?

Google really is the new Microsoft

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
irony!

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

qirex posted:

a thought: what if there is no "next big thing" in tech? what if all the ai and ar and vr and connected health and the rest of it just doesn't pan out commercially? because actual business results are pointing that that way

I’ve been posting about this for awhile now and think we’re at that point. For 40 years the gains we made were based around: computer gets smaller, computer gets cheaper, computer gets faster, computers talk to each other. Now we’ve hit peak small/fast/cheap/chatty and where do we go from here?

AR/VR/wearables seem like a bust. Even the Apple Watch and Fitbit and stuff felt more like fads compared to the ubiquity of the smartphone. Crypto is a big decade long scam. Self driving cars are a lot harder than we thought… etc etc

Maybe there is something to the chatgpt stuff and that’s the hot new thing, who knows, but one thing I have noticed is that these new frontiers are a lot more technically challenging than the past and aren’t gonna pay off as quickly as we’re used to

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
cloud underwater, send scuba gear plz
https://twitter.com/gergelyorosz/status/1651256663284805635

https://twitter.com/gergelyorosz/status/1651351946811305984

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

ADINSX posted:

I’ve been posting about this for awhile now and think we’re at that point. For 40 years the gains we made were based around: computer gets smaller, computer gets cheaper, computer gets faster, computers talk to each other. Now we’ve hit peak small/fast/cheap/chatty and where do we go from here?

AR/VR/wearables seem like a bust. Even the Apple Watch and Fitbit and stuff felt more like fads compared to the ubiquity of the smartphone. Crypto is a big decade long scam. Self driving cars are a lot harder than we thought… etc etc

Maybe there is something to the chatgpt stuff and that’s the hot new thing, who knows, but one thing I have noticed is that these new frontiers are a lot more technically challenging than the past and aren’t gonna pay off as quickly as we’re used to

i think there's a discussion worth having here but it's hard to suggest that the apple watch is a fad simply because more people have smartphones. i mean they've sold like 200 million of the things

i think there's a lot of room for sort of background connectivity / intelligence in the home that we haven't really touched yet

mediaphage fucked around with this message at 01:36 on Apr 27, 2023

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

That’s more than I expected, but will it continue? Will we be wearing smartwatches in 10 years? My wife and I both bought one but no longer wear them (mine gave me anxiety)

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

ADINSX posted:

That’s more than I expected, but will it continue? Will we be wearing smartwatches in 10 years? My wife and I both bought one but no longer wear them (mine gave me anxiety)

like a lot of this sort of thing it all comes down to how you use it. perhaps i'm reaching but was the anxiety from the notifications? i hate notifications and explicitly block them from everything except like imessage, the health app, and one or two other things. definitely no email. it's one reason i haven't gotten an apple watch, though the health features are robust enough it's got me thinking about it.

i think smartwatches generally will probably be more ubiquitous in ten years simply because the features of today will probably be available on any $50 junkband

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

this guy is a dummy. you always need your poo poo spread across regions, not zones

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

speaking of silly tech though did y'all see the "sony reality display"

someone at sony built a product that incorporates that 3d wiimote demo from 16 years ago and put it into a 16-inch, $4000 monitor

AWWNAW
Dec 30, 2008

I wear an Apple Watch for the time, weather, health and sleep tracking, and I have all my notifications turned off. a few years ago I actually liked getting texts on my watch now I just want to die quietly

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

Yep, the notifications. It was like this final straw for me. I could turn them all off but then what’s the point, I’ll just pull out my phone if I want to check something

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

ADINSX posted:

Yep, the notifications. It was like this final straw for me. I could turn them all off but then what’s the point, I’ll just pull out my phone if I want to check something

well yeah then maybe you're just not a good fit for a smartwatch, which is fine. like i said i like the idea of the health tracking, and being able to control content while exercising, say, could be handy. i'm sure there's a few other dinky little watch apps id prolly use. apple pay would be super handy on my wrist since i still mask in stores.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
I only just discovered that when using airpods with your phone it will spontaneously read new messages to you without prompting

I don't receive a lot of messages so I'll see if this is annoying or not. if I did receive a lot I'd probably turn it off immediately

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

haveblue posted:

I only just discovered that when using airpods with your phone it will spontaneously read new messages to you without prompting

I don't receive a lot of messages so I'll see if this is annoying or not. if I did receive a lot I'd probably turn it off immediately

yeah that's a setting, when i set siri to french for practice i discovered it. esp because it reads out my so's english texts in a hilarious french accent

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome

haveblue posted:

the allegory of the crave

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

mediaphage posted:

well yeah then maybe you're just not a good fit for a smartwatch, which is fine. like i said i like the idea of the health tracking, and being able to control content while exercising, say, could be handy. i'm sure there's a few other dinky little watch apps id prolly use. apple pay would be super handy on my wrist since i still mask in stores.

I’m probably not. But even still: the smart watch is part of that smaller/cheaper/faster trajectory. Like you said, smart watches will be a commodity when the hardware is ubiquitous. How much smaller cheaper and faster can things get?

Home automation is cool and we’ll obviously continue to see all sorts of new products but my response was to qirex’s question “what if there is no next big thing”. Home automation has been around for decades… since the 60s if you count that cool demo from the Seattle worlds fair (they automated a home via telephone commands). If it was going to be the next big thing why hasn’t it taken off yet?

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

power consumption/storage are the areas where gains need to be made for stuff like watches to really take off imo. if an apple watch lasted a week it'd be a lot more tempting, even if it does have a stupid screen that should be removed

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

ADINSX posted:

I’m probably not. But even still: the smart watch is part of that smaller/cheaper/faster trajectory. Like you said, smart watches will be a commodity when the hardware is ubiquitous. How much smaller cheaper and faster can things get?

Home automation is cool and we’ll obviously continue to see all sorts of new products but my response was to qirex’s question “what if there is no next big thing”. Home automation has been around for decades… since the 60s if you count that cool demo from the Seattle worlds fair (they automated a home via telephone commands). If it was going to be the next big thing why hasn’t it taken off yet?

that goes back to what i said earlier. just because something has been around doesn't mean it's been any good during that time. until very recently home automation has been (from a normie pov) stupidly complicated and expensive and hard to understand. each generation of products has made it easier and more useful.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Achmed Jones posted:

power consumption/storage are the areas where gains need to be made for stuff like watches to really take off imo. if an apple watch lasted a week it'd be a lot more tempting, even if it does have a stupid screen that should be removed

95% of customers wouldn't buy one without a screen. just buy a whoop or something

i agree though that battery gains need to be made but i expect those will happen over time

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
home automation also used to be flaky as hell but has really improved over the years

Internet Janitor
May 17, 2008

"That isn't the appropriate trash receptacle."
it's possible it just isn't useful in as many contexts as i'd like to imagine, but i feel like epaper technology could enable a huge range of novel and handy devices if the screens weren't extremely patent-encumbered and only available in a small range of sizes

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
all displays everywhere are now commodity, basically

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

tell me what fitness tracker satisfies the following and i'll buy it:

1. integrates with apple healthy without obnoxious sync apps (fitbit is out)
2. no screen
3. no monthly fee (the rings and it looks like whoop are out)

this is a legit request btw, not me being sassy

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
yeah, that would be a big change, if we actually got the tech to make pretty much any rigid surface into a low energy display

I’ve recently started noticing big box stores using epaper for price cards on shelves, how new is that?

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
early 2000s, iirc?

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Internet Janitor posted:

it's possible it just isn't useful in as many contexts as i'd like to imagine, but i feel like epaper technology could enable a huge range of novel and handy devices if the screens weren't extremely patent-encumbered and only available in a small range of sizes

there are e-ink displays in all sorts of sizes these days - my local grocery has replaced all of their price tags in the entire store with three colour (white/black/red) e-ink displays. you can also get them in phone screen sizes, tablet sizes, monitor sizes, and they recently came out with like a wall poster sized version

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

bob dobbs is dead posted:

early 2000s, iirc?

there's no way there were common e-ink price tags in the early 2000s, surely? it wasn't even invented as a technology until 1997

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
im talking prototypes yeah. first commercial b2c displays was late 2000s but b2b can do shittier deals and be more expensive

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Achmed Jones posted:

tell me what fitness tracker satisfies the following and i'll buy it:

1. integrates with apple healthy without obnoxious sync apps (fitbit is out)
2. no screen
3. no monthly fee (the rings and it looks like whoop are out)

this is a legit request btw, not me being sassy

don't the misfit trackers work with the apple health stuff? i've never used one but they've been around for a few years now (their gimmick has always been a screenless design)

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

never heard of em, but i'll have a look. thanks! :tipshat:

e:

quote:

In 2019 or early 2020 Fossil Group discontinued production of all existing Misfit products and shutdown the website pending relaunch

lol dangit

Achmed Jones fucked around with this message at 02:29 on Apr 27, 2023

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

bob dobbs is dead posted:

im talking prototypes yeah. first commercial b2c displays was late 2000s but b2b can do shittier deals and be more expensive

the first real shipping products with e-ink were things like the sony reader in 2004 i think? the earlier shelf label stuff used lcd, not e-ink, those are newer than that

nobody means prototypes when they ask about when something became a thing imo

Enderzero
Jun 19, 2001

The snowflake button makes it
cold cold cold
Set temperature makes it
hold hold hold

ADINSX posted:

honestly the problem is not that we have nowhere to go, it’s that people in our current society can’t go much further.

in almost every business, there are critical business processes that are performed in extremely inefficient ways. many companies have excel spreadsheets that, if not maintained, mean you go into oh poo poo money is not being moved mode. these could unilaterally be improved by solid software dev today, but politics and people dictate that they won’t.

I think the last 30 years showed how much low hanging fruit there was to collect, productivity-wise, but going farther will require buy in from a bunch of incompetent e-mail job types and that trend is not likely to change soon. unless the lead poisoned boomer retirement trend really takes root maybe

edit: thus, salesforce. also the legion outsourced development that is garbage. and lots of places with decent talent, but a necrotic management that won’t let them fix it, etc

Enderzero fucked around with this message at 02:56 on Apr 27, 2023

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

what we really need is more software

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice
what the gently caress. i was promised ai would put me out of a job within 12 weeks and now you're telling me i have to write more of this poo poo?!