Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
Maybe there's a power change in the movie & Nova's ousted.

Or Nova has been lying this entire time.

I think they can figure something out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

If we get Tuned arc I bet we'll be very off script at that point and we'll get more Mars backstory instead of Barjack. Maybe she goes out in the desert to kill what turns out to be a martian remnant or something. I don't think you can leave her backstory as an almost complete mystery if you're doing a movie trilogy.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Shadowy guy’s suggested to be the URM but it’s actually the GIB. Or LADDER.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

I vote for giving RR all the money you can and letting him do what he wants.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Dawgstar posted:

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

Dawgstar posted:

:hmmyes:

As much as Cameron has proven himself to have that Hollywood magic touch, Rodriguez feels like the better director in terms of capturing the tone the series needs.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Cameron is a blessing as a producer, but he's a cheeseball. Rodriguez got the magic touch imo.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

I would laugh if they decided to introduce Nova clones before Alita gets to Zalem. I mean, why not?

Also what do you think they'll do with Ido?

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Aces High posted:

He gonna die if the title is Alita: Fallen Angel.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

:ohdear:

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.

Aces High posted:

I would laugh if they decided to introduce Nova clones before Alita gets to Zalem. I mean, why not?

Maybe start his boxing career a little early.

CheddarGoblin
Jan 12, 2005
oh
The Texas film incentive program is up for renewal right now. With a record $33 billion state budget surplus this year we're hoping for a significant bump. It makes a big difference for Troublemaker and could only help the chances of a second Alita. Fingers crossed!

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Last Order should be one of those big tv series, like The Expanse.

Vir
Dec 14, 2007

Does it tickle when your Body Thetans flap their wings, eh Beatrice?
Robert Rodriguez is going to be one of the award presenters at the Crunchyroll Anime Awards in Tokyo this Saturday. I think it's unlikely that he'll use this event to announce anything Alita related, especially since Crunchyroll is owned by Sony. But the fact that he's going to Japan for an anime related event is interesting. Who knows who else he might be meeting there?

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Vir posted:

Robert Rodriguez is going to be one of the award presenters at the Crunchyroll Anime Awards in Tokyo this Saturday. I think it's unlikely that he'll use this event to announce anything Alita related, especially since Crunchyroll is owned by Sony. But the fact that he's going to Japan for an anime related event is interesting. Who knows who else he might be meeting there?

:pray:

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

MonsieurChoc posted:

Last Order should be one of those big tv series, like The Expanse.

We already got James Cameron's Dark Angel (though the first episode was definitely the only episode approaching "big").

Aces High posted:

That said imagine a TV series where every episode Alita murders the new Number Two Nova but then gets owned by a weather balloon.

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 21:24 on Mar 2, 2023

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WsEc2VV5eR8

BeanpolePeckerwood fucked around with this message at 13:47 on Mar 3, 2023

Vir
Dec 14, 2007

Does it tickle when your Body Thetans flap their wings, eh Beatrice?
They've talked to Rosa about doing a sequel, but there's no confirmation yet: A long-awaited sequel to James Cameron's passion project, 'Alita: Battle Angel,' may finally get off the ground, producer says

quote:

"Have there been any conversations about 'Alita'? Several, even in the last couple weeks," James Cameron's longtime producing partner, Jon Landau, told Insider during a press day for the digital release of "Avatar: The Way of Water."
(...)
"We've been talking to Robert. We've talked to Rosa," Landau added of the film's director and star about continuing the "Alita" franchise.

"It's a place where Jim and I really think there are more stories to be told," he continued. "We think that in the Alita character, it is something that is so relatable to audiences today."

CheddarGoblin
Jan 12, 2005
oh
More Iron City in trailer for Hypnotic:

https://youtu.be/FRJVuHZrA8k

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I see it, I see Iron City

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

https://twitter.com/screenrant/status/1651364338203017217

:supaburn:

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
I should probably watch the first film, shouldn't I?

I've never read the manga.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

:f5h::f5:

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Mordiceius posted:

I said this elsewhere on the forum recently, but the level of engagement you have with this film definitely leans towards your tolerance of anime and YA tropes; it embraces the source material completely. That said, it's a really well made sci-fi actioner and you really can't help but cheer on Rosa Salazar's Alita; her performance is so good and that alone is worth at least a once over. You also get to hear Christoph Waltz deliver lines of dialogue with supremely anime terms like URM berserker and Panzer Kunst, lol. It's awesome.

The film borrows heavily from the OVA anime, which covers most of what happens in the first two volumes of the manga. Jimmy Cameron ended up weaving elements from the third and fourth manga volumes into the story that I thought worked really well--this was despite my having massive reservations about doing so before the film was released. Overall, it's a very faithful adaptation. The original 9 volume manga is also a blast and I definitely recommend it. They released a hardcover box set of beautiful reprints a few years ago that goes for about $130ish on Amazon, sometimes cheaper. Or, if you have Kindle Unlimited/Comixology sub, the original 9 volume run is available on there. I still haven't read Last Order (which basically retcons the ending of the original manga and continues on from there), but pretty much every goon says it's also really good.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Last order is wiiiiild and incredibly fun, it also has one of the best artwork in a manga I've ever seen. Sechs is the best boy

Mordiceius posted:

do both imo

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

teagone posted:

I said this elsewhere on the forum recently, but the level of engagement you have with this film definitely leans towards your tolerance of anime and YA tropes; it embraces the source material completely. That said, it's a really well made sci-fi actioner and you really can't help but cheer on Rosa Salazar's Alita; her performance is so good and that alone is worth at least a once over. You also get to hear Christoph Waltz deliver lines of dialogue with supremely anime terms like URM berserker and Panzer Kunst, lol. It's awesome.

The film borrows heavily from the OVA anime, which covers most of what happens in the first two volumes of the manga. Jimmy Cameron ended up weaving elements from the third and fourth manga volumes into the story that I thought worked really well--this was despite my having massive reservations about doing so before the film was released. Overall, it's a very faithful adaptation. The original 9 volume manga is also a blast and I definitely recommend it. They released a hardcover box set of beautiful reprints a few years ago that goes for about $130ish on Amazon, sometimes cheaper. Or, if you have Kindle Unlimited/Comixology sub, the original 9 volume run is available on there. I still haven't read Last Order (which basically retcons the ending of the original manga and continues on from there), but pretty much every goon says it's also really good.

My issue with the film was that I saw the OVA like twenty times and read through the manga a few times. It was a great adaptation of a good (teen) story and there wasnt quite enough new to make me "feel" anything. But new viewers should be perfectly happy with it.

Also, to the above post, I think Last Order helped me understand trans people more than anything way ahead of time to the current culture movement.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Mordiceius posted:

the film rules and i am hella excite

the manga is my favorite of all time, the art is simply unmatched. cool story about capitalist class critique and punching robots until they explode

Darko posted:

Also, to the above post, I think Last Order helped me understand trans people more than anything way ahead of time to the current culture movement.

yeah, this is also hella relevant

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
I want a BAA->BAA:LO anime. Make it, cowards!!

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Darko posted:

My issue with the film was that I saw the OVA like twenty times and read through the manga a few times. It was a great adaptation of a good (teen) story and there wasnt quite enough new to make me "feel" anything. But new viewers should be perfectly happy with it.

Yeah that's a fair position. I was just excited to finally have Alita be a live-action venture after enduring so many years of waiting lol. My only gripe with the film is that I wouldn't have minded the violence to be quite a bit more intense. As good as the action design wise, I would not have minded more sparks and oil/blue blood splattering all over the place to even further embrace its hyperviolent manga/anime roots.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

teagone posted:

Yeah that's a fair position. I was just excited to finally have Alita be a live-action venture after enduring so many years of waiting lol. My only gripe with the film is that I wouldn't have minded the violence to be quite a bit more intense. As good as the action design wise, I would not have minded more sparks and oil/blue blood splattering all over the place to even further embrace its hyperviolent manga/anime roots.

What is Genndy Tartakovsky doing? He should do more robot massacre storyboards.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
I've heard Alita described as basically Robert Rodriguez directing in James Cameron's style. It's not quite as intense as either but super stylish and kinetic.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I've heard Alita described as basically Robert Rodriguez directing in James Cameron's style. It's not quite as intense as either but super stylish and kinetic.

Yeah tho it's far less cringe than a Cameron film, very personable and not rigid in the dialogue dept

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Mordiceius posted:

I never read the manga or saw any of the anime(s? lol not even sure how many there are) and I freakin' loved it. Rose Salazar is a treasure, the film is full of both tender moments of heart and some sicknasty action, just a great entry into the action scifi canon.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
I really need to finish my read of Alita. I fell off when a tiny copy(?) showed up. Or something. It was all very confusing for some reason.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Mordiceius posted:

The first film is a pretty loose adaptation (although it captures the vibe perfectly), so you don't need the manga for context at all... but it's also a masterpiece in its own right, so you can't really go wrong either way.

efb by like a dozen people lol

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

Yeah tho it's far less cringe than a Cameron film, very personable and not rigid in the dialogue dept

I've seen a surprising number of people sort of gloss over RR for why the film works.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

He got poo poo on (at least here on SA) for Book of Boba, but I don't really think that was on him, considering Obi Wan and most of Mando season 3. However, I like to think if Alita 2 gets the go-ahead, RR and JC aren't going to have their movie edited by a committee

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Aces High posted:

He got poo poo on (at least here on SA) for Book of Boba, but I don't really think that was on him, considering Obi Wan and most of Mando season 3. However, I like to think if Alita 2 gets the go-ahead, RR and JC aren't going to have their movie edited by a committee

Plus from what RR was saying for Book of Boba Fett the schedule was so tight there were days they were literally going from shooting to finished Volume footage in the same day for some scenes and you know there's no way in hell JC is going to allow that kind of rushed horseshit for anything he gives a poo poo about.