Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
I don't know if it counts among the current crop of live action adaptations but the live action Cinderella Branagh did in 2015 is pretty loving dire. It's pretty far removed from the animated version; there's no talking mice, I don't think any of the songs are in it, and it's literally twice as long as the original animated version.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ommin
Apr 5, 2006
I like to watch CinemaSins and Honest Trailers for all the movies I'm curious about but don't want to watch. It's like Cliff's Notes with commentary notes to use in conversation to "prove you watched it."
I'm pretty sure Cinderella was the one that kicked off this whole trend, and yeah, it was pretty bad. I actually like the villain origin ones myself. Maleficent and Cruela were both a lot of fun. I'm not sure how I feel about making villains sympathetic characters, but its a little more creative than just a shot for shot remake, imo.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
Should try more Rosencrantz and Guildenstern Are Dead remakes, retelling the story through side characters.

Also Disney should embrace absurdism. The movement still has more to say!

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

HopperUK posted:

Pete's Dragon and Jungle Book are good. The Lion King is *dreadful*. Just absolutely joyless. No emotion on a single face. Every scene just blank stares. And Beauty and the Beast sucks too.

I'm not sure there was a good way to go with Lion King. A "realistic" lion with a smile on his face is going to look creepy as hell.

e:

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

Ommin posted:

I'm pretty sure Cinderella was the one that kicked off this whole trend, and yeah, it was pretty bad. I actually like the villain origin ones myself. Maleficent and Cruela were both a lot of fun. I'm not sure how I feel about making villains sympathetic characters, but its a little more creative than just a shot for shot remake, imo.

Most of the Twisted Tales books are fun in a similar way, like showing how pathetic a lot of the villains really are, like in the Sleeping Beauty book "Once Upon a Dream" a good amount of Aurora's confrontation with Maleficent is her realising what a loser she really is under her power. "I have had so many friends and allies that have got me where I am right now. What do you have? A bird?!" There's also a fun moment where Maleficent responds to a thought Aurora has in a somewhat inventive way that confuses the prince because he wasn't privy to it, and when he expresses that confusion Aurora simply explains the in-joke and just dismisses it with "She's trying to be cute, ignore her."

BioEnchanted has a new favorite as of 02:40 on Apr 28, 2023

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
My only real issue with Maleficent is that it always really amused me that her whole motivation was 'did not get invited to party'. I loved that she was so petty.

Also no Merryweather. I can't hang with Sleeping Beauty and no Merryweather.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

HopperUK posted:

My only real issue with Maleficent is that it always really amused me that her whole motivation was 'did not get invited to party'. I loved that she was so petty.

Also no Merryweather. I can't hang with Sleeping Beauty and no Merryweather.

Oh, Aurora calls her out on that too, she is just completely sick of her poo poo by the end of the book and it's kind of amazing. On a similar note, I always appreciated that the Maleficent sequel movie, the second one with Angelina Jolie, hinged on the villain inviting Maleficent to a thing. I thought that that was a fun twist.

Ommin
Apr 5, 2006
I like to watch CinemaSins and Honest Trailers for all the movies I'm curious about but don't want to watch. It's like Cliff's Notes with commentary notes to use in conversation to "prove you watched it."

dr_rat posted:

Should try more Rosencrantz and Guildenstern Are Dead remakes, retelling the story through side characters.

This is a favorite of mine as well. And by chance my daughter was watching Lion King 1 1/2 the other day, and I had the exact same thought because it is basically RGAD'ing The Lion King (which is basically a Hamlet clone) but with Timon and Pumba.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

Ommin posted:

I think Maleficent might have also kicked off the terrible prequels trend too.

Keromaru5
Dec 28, 2012

Pictured: The Wolf Of Gubbio (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

dr_rat posted:

Like I said, I could probably go for a movie from Smee's point of view.

dr_rat posted:

They used to just put 2D animated characters into live-action movies. I'm old enough to remember when that was a serious filmmaking flex. Do they not realize it still counts as live-action when you do that?

Edit: On the other hand, that's sort of what they did with that Rescue Rangers movie, and if that were any more cynical, it'd be Diogenes.

Keromaru5 has a new favorite as of 03:08 on Apr 28, 2023

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
so videogames real is brown was ripping off hollywood?

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

Ommin posted:

My issue with Maleficent is the baddie guy, (Murdoch from the A Team movie).

Coz the beginning sets him up great. A troubled soul forced to do a terrible thing to his childhood crush in order to try and please a stern and unloving father. But then it throws all that away and turns him into a boring generic baddie guy all "grr arrgh"-ing his way around until Angelina Jolie inevitably beats him. And then takes custody of his daughter because she was good all along and really really loved the princess so much more than everyone else.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

PhazonLink posted:

so videogames real is brown was ripping off hollywood?

Pretty much everything video games do has been ripping off Hollywood for the entire history of the medium, back in the day the covers would literally be barely distinct traces of action movie covers. Solid Snake is basically Kyle Reese down to the gear on his belt, Contra stars Arnie and Stallone.

Cool Kids Club Soda
Aug 20, 2010
😎❄️🌃🥤🧋🍹👌💯

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Pretty much everything video games do has been ripping off Hollywood for the entire history of the medium, back in the day the covers would literally be barely distinct traces of action movie covers. Solid Snake is basically Kyle Reese down to the gear on his belt, Contra stars Arnie and Stallone.

And get a load of this Donkey Kong guy!

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

Rampage was an awesome game,

Based on movies.

And then,

One day,

They turned it into its own movie.

Dunno what movie Pac-Man was based on, tho, Requiem for a Dream hadn't come out yet.

stringless has a new favorite as of 09:25 on Apr 28, 2023

Roblo
Dec 10, 2007

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

FFT posted:

Rampage was an awesome game,

Based on movies.

And then,

One day,

They turned it into its own movie.

Dunno what movie Pac-Man was based on, tho, Requiem for a Dream hadn't come out yet.

I kinda liked rampage. Fun movie with monsters, did what it said on the tin. Monkey smashing things, cool.

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

Yeah, it was etter than anything Uwe Boll ever did

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
I never saw Rampage but I remember the trailers featuring so much of the Rock and barely any monsters to the point that I kept confusing it with the one where he fights a building.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
Monsters vs buildings, the rock vs buildings, with so many vs building films, I just want to see one where the buildings win!

I mean I guess some evil house films may count. Also possibly Ghostbusters two? Still needs to be more.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

dr_rat posted:

Monsters vs buildings, the rock vs buildings, with so many vs building films, I just want to see one where the buildings win!

I mean I guess some evil house films may count. Also possibly Ghostbusters two? Still needs to be more.

The Castle?

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

Is the hotel still standing at the end of The Shining? Pretty sure it explodes in the book but the movie's got the ending where it zooms in on the picture

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

I mean that's a home vs an airport, which is also a building. So that's just sort of a David vs Goliath building match. But I guess it sort of counts?

FFT posted:

Is the hotel still standing at the end of The Shining? Pretty sure it explodes in the book but the movie's got the ending where it zooms in on the picture

Yeah in the end in of the movie it ends of the photo showing the Hotel got Jack and lives on to haunt again. So definite win!

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

BrigadierSensible posted:

My issue with Maleficent is the baddie guy, (Murdoch from the A Team movie).

Coz the beginning sets him up great. A troubled soul forced to do a terrible thing to his childhood crush in order to try and please a stern and unloving father. But then it throws all that away and turns him into a boring generic baddie guy all "grr arrgh"-ing his way around until Angelina Jolie inevitably beats him. And then takes custody of his daughter because she was good all along and really really loved the princess so much more than everyone else.

I had two issues with it, though one was more from the Disney parks introducing a new "clockwork dragon" float to their parades to celebrate its release, so I was hoping we got the black dragon as a steam punk robot. In my defense, it was a pretty sweet dragon float.

The other issue I had was that I went into the film expecting 'Sleeping Beauty as told by the villain', not 'Sleeping Beauty but Maleficent isn't immune to fairy magic'. Not a bad movie, just not what I was expecting.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

dr_rat posted:

What any movie set in Vegas. The house always wins.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Randalor posted:

I had two issues with it, though one was more from the Disney parks introducing a new "clockwork dragon" float to their parades to celebrate its release, so I was hoping we got the black dragon as a steam punk robot. In my defense, it was a pretty sweet dragon float.

The other issue I had was that I went into the film expecting 'Sleeping Beauty as told by the villain', not 'Sleeping Beauty but Maleficent isn't immune to fairy magic'. Not a bad movie, just not what I was expecting.

I liked that she got screwed over by her own phrasing. "She will be loved by all who meet her." She just didn't bank on... meeting her.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Facebook Aunt posted:

I'm not sure there was a good way to go with Lion King. A "realistic" lion with a smile on his face is going to look creepy as hell.

"Realistic" neutered lions without buttholes are creepy as hell.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Mortal Kombat is literally Blood Sport, they even tried to get Jean Claude Van Damme to be in the game.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Solid Snake is basically Kyle Reese down to the gear on his belt.

Are you sure you don't mean Snake Plissken?

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

Beachcomber posted:

Are you sure you don't mean Snake Plissken?

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

dr_rat posted:

1408. Evil fuckin room.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.
Guys

guys

The Room

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.
Sorry for double posting but what the gently caress, I just found out that Joe Taslim, who should be known for The Raid and The Night Comes for Us because he owns in those, was in Star Trek Beyond. I was painfully aware of how they wasted Idris Elba and Sofia Boutella by smothering them in generic alien make-up, but this irritates me quite a bit more.

Keromaru5
Dec 28, 2012

Pictured: The Wolf Of Gubbio (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

It's even more blatant in Metal Gear 2:

Naturally, they redrew them for the remake.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

BioEnchanted posted:

Most of the Twisted Tales books are fun in a similar way, like showing how pathetic a lot of the villains really are, like in the Sleeping Beauty book "Once Upon a Dream" a good amount of Aurora's confrontation with Maleficent is her realising what a loser she really is under her power. "I have had so many friends and allies that have got me where I am right now. What do you have? A bird?!" There's also a fun moment where Maleficent responds to a thought Aurora has in a somewhat inventive way that confuses the prince because he wasn't privy to it, and when he expresses that confusion Aurora simply explains the in-joke and just dismisses it with "She's trying to be cute, ignore her."

Reading this reminds me I want to see more messed up takes on different Disney properties. Imagine someone bringing American McGee's Alice to film with all the darker background story elements or taking an idea like Meatcanyon's Pinocchio short & making it into a horror film.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

BOOTY-ADE posted:

Reading this reminds me I want to see more messed up takes on different Disney properties. Imagine someone bringing American McGee's Alice to film with all the darker background story elements or taking an idea like Meatcanyon's Pinocchio short & making it into a horror film.

I also love a few scenes in the Little Mermaid one where Eric is fully aware at this point about Ursula/Vanessa's true nature after being under a spell for most of their marriage, and he and her have a hilarious little conversation over dinner where they are just openly talking about her life as a Cecaelia (which is the term for a merperson who is half octopus, the book taught me that) and it's just like "Is it true that you have tentacles?" "Yes, and I miss them :(" and later on he makes a big point about something she missed where he calls out her warmongering behind his back as gonig against her own rules, because "You signed a contract. :smug:" and she's like "No I... oh.... poo poo..." but the prince makes clear that he's not going to be an rear end in a top hat about it because he's not the kind of guy who'd do that to someone, even someone as insanely evil as his current wife. That book was a hell of a ride, the only one that's a bit lame is the Frozen one as nothing much really changes.

Marcade
Jun 11, 2006

Who are you to glizzy gobble El Vago's marshmussy?

There's also the Neil Gaiman short story where Snow White is a vampire. Snow Glass Apple, I think it's called.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde
Apples, but you're right.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

BOOTY-ADE posted:

Oh man a dark and twisted retelling of alice in wonderland, what a cool new idea. Maybe you could do something with Tim Burton too, or someone who can do kinda the same art but lower budget.

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I am an oppressed White Male, Asian women wont serve me! Save me Campbell Newman!!!!!!!

BOOTY-ADE posted:

What you really mean is someone going back to the source material instead of the Disney versions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

im watching narc

dominic west definitely modeled jimmy mcnulty on jason patric at least partially. try listening to the dialogue with your eyes closed

anyway, this guy is a cop on furlough for over a year and his apartment is fuckin huge. that annoys me

oh also the questioning in the beginning of the film, where theyre mad that he shot a pregnant woman. they should be mad, but he never mentions that the guy he was shooting was about to take a toddler for hostage, but then also, the way he was shooting he might have shot the kid too so, maybe not a great defense? but the "saving" of the kids life probably would carry weight in a police tribunal is what im saying