Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kliras
Mar 27, 2021

BlankSystemDaemon posted:

Even the best YouTube reviewers are significantly worse than reviews we used to get from Anand, Ian, and people of that caliber.

Even Ian himself seems to have recognized this, because his videos are about anything other than the things he used to write about.
you can also just tell that no one on youtube likes to put emphasis on good graphs, probably in part because that's just something people will screenshot and post to dead forums without them getting much out of all the effort put into it

(unless it's a video that's all charts likke hardware unboxed)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

kliras posted:

you can also just tell that no one on youtube likes to put emphasis on good graphs, probably in part because that's just something people will screenshot and post to dead forums without them getting much out of all the effort put into it

(unless it's a video that's all charts likke hardware unboxed)
Charts are a whole separate matter, because none of the reviewers have any loving clue about statistics and as a result don't publish the requisite information needed to extrapolate data from the graphs.
It's largely a function of the tooling they use, as well as the need to meet publishing deadlines - but without collecting highs, lows, means and medians, and figuring out standard deviation and student Ts, you can't say anything about the confidence level of the data.
Without confidence levels above 90%, preferably at 95% or 99%, it quickly becomes impossible to say anything meaningful about the difference between two pieces of hardware that're receiving very similar scores.

The thing that Anand, Ian, and others were good at is that they all provided a lot of background detail that simply doesn't get covered nowadays.
It's all just "is the number bigger", but all too often, the conclusions they draw from their data aren't supported from the data.

I'm not an expert in these things either, but it's fairly easy to learn how to spot when other people make the more obvious mistakes.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses
Video production has a lot more overhead as well, and everything you write into the script requires coverage.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005
I FUCKING HATE POOR PEOPLE BUT I LOVE BEING FUCKED IN THE ASS and having two dishwashers in my CONDO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

SlowBloke posted:

He's milquetoast in criticism, even on bad items, plus his youtuber voice makes him sound like white noise. He has good production values but content-wise there are more interesting reviewers.

I think you got closest to the thought that I could not articulate, his reviews are like air, he says words, here is a thing, I don't have strong feelings about it, he's like a bad QVC sales person that took a bit too much medication, went off script and said a few less than flattering things about a product he is selling, it's background noise.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

kefkafloyd posted:

Video production has a lot more overhead as well, and everything you write into the script requires coverage.
I'm not saying video production isn't more work, because that'd be both asinine and wrong - the point I'm making is merely that written articles are better for the kind of in-depth reviews.

There's a fundamental disconnect between in-depth reviews of a single tech journalist writing an article that gets published on a website, and the inherit mass-audience reach of running a YouTube channel that employs multiple people in order to reach a deadline.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses

I'm not saying video production isn't more work, because that'd be both asinine and wrong - the point I'm making is merely that written articles are better for the kind of in-depth reviews.

There's a fundamental disconnect between in-depth reviews of a single tech journalist writing an article that gets published on a website, and the inherit mass-audience reach of running a YouTube channel that employs multiple people in order to reach a deadline.

Oh, I know. We’re in agreement here; my point was just that the extra overhead of video production directly impacts the depth that you can go into from a technical standpoint. There’s nothing saying a video can’t go into that kind of depth, but the production required to support the depth takes so much more time and effort that it’s very difficult for one person, let alone a team to do it.

(not to mention that with written articles you can read them at your own pace, etc etc. I too lament the death of our in-depth writers who’ve been undercut by hacks like MLID and the flattening of topics imposed by youtube and google).

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

when you think about it...i'm the first girl you ever spent the night with

Grimey Drawer

The Grumbles posted:

Why’s this thread always hating on Brownlee. He seems nice! His content is more tech stuff from a lifestyle/everyday people perspective and less from a sysadmin/power user/tech weirdo one, but even then reviews are always pretty even-handed and thoughtful, and honestly can be a refreshing change from your engineer-brained perspectives like GN or whatever. This thread would have you believe he’s some megashill but his reviews never really play out like that.

He doesn't review products so much as he acts as a hype man for his favorite companies. He provides about as much value to a discussion about a product as a channel that talks only about the Unboxing Experience. He's not interested in functionality and a lot more interested in Lifestyle As a Service™. He's a calculated part of the marketing effort of the companies he shills for. Less generiously: He is a tool for multi-billion dollars companies.

If you want someone to tell you that every apple product you bought is definitely the coolest thing because it's cool, then I suppose that channel has value.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
That’s how I feel about Dave2D. I can’t hate for him finding a niche, but I feel like the vast majority of his uploads are just long form advertisements.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Same for ETA Prime. It kind of gives you a general idea of what stuff does but not much more than that.

Chips and cheese is the only place still doing actually interesting hardware analysis, the type of stuff that used to show up on ars technica like 15 years ago: https://chipsandcheese.com/

Not so useful as consumer advice though.

Prescription Combs
Apr 20, 2005

mobby_6kl posted:

Same for ETA Prime. It kind of gives you a general idea of what stuff does but not much more than that.

Chips and cheese is the only place still doing actually interesting hardware analysis, the type of stuff that used to show up on ars technica like 15 years ago: https://chipsandcheese.com/

That ETA prime guy pisses me off. Always driving up the price of the used small form factor market.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

THIS 64BIT 5GHZ VERY MODERN PROCESSOR WITH 32GB OF RAM IN A SMALL BOX EMULATES MOST CONSOLES PERFECTLY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

5 Million Views

Blurb3947
Sep 30, 2022
hay guys its austin

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Beve Stuscemi posted:

THIS 64BIT 5GHZ VERY MODERN PROCESSOR WITH 32GB OF RAM IN A SMALL BOX EMULATES (the first 10 minutes of games on) MOST CONSOLES PERFECTLY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

5 Million Views

Emulation test YouTube is always hilarious because they’ll say with a straight face that a device can emulate Switch games based off it barely maintaining 60fps in the first area of Mario Odyssey.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

mobby_6kl posted:

I've been longing for this kind of long-form in-depth analysis stuff, so thank you for mentioning it.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

regardless of how you feel about MKBHD we can all agree that his shoes are extremely mid

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
the ETA Prime guy worked on me - I bought a Xiaomi tablet for the wife based on his recommendation that it was good value

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
ETA's bit of a yes man but he does at least do work on launchbox iirc, so that's something

Unlike Taki "I made this" Udon

Sorbus
Apr 1, 2010
As a custom water cooling haver this made me laugh:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LyVlvu8BoNU

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

Shipon posted:

custom loop also requires maintenance that maybe the people they give the computer to might not want to deal with

its really funny how shiny new PSUs, mobos and GPUs shown on chinese out-of-warranty repair vids are almost always there due to water cooling leaks

Palladium fucked around with this message at 13:39 on Apr 28, 2023

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

SUCCHIAMI IL MIO CAZZO DA DIETRO, RANA RAGAZZO

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC
looks like LTT wiped a load of the jank off their infrastructure lol

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lK1gPoGxgAA

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005
I FUCKING HATE POOR PEOPLE BUT I LOVE BEING FUCKED IN THE ASS and having two dishwashers in my CONDO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
https://twitter.com/MKBHD/status/1651935278049685504

See, it's this kind of stuff that makes people not like MKBHD. "Better value"? Sure, there are reasons why you may want an Android tablet over an iPad but "better value" is ludicrous.

Three Olives fucked around with this message at 16:16 on Apr 28, 2023

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
And then immediately after, arstechnica trashed it for having an awful display

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

A better value version of the iPad, just without all the stuff people like iPads for like apps and good drawing tools and long software support and also $50 more expensive than a base iPad.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Wild EEPROM posted:

And then immediately after, arstechnica trashed it for having an awful display

Weirdly, no other review has that issue and most of them say the display is great. I wonder if Ars got a bad unit or had something wrong with it?
https://www.theverge.com/23701161/oneplus-pad-android-tablet-review
https://www.engadget.com/oneplus-pad-review-solid-hardware-thats-let-down-by-android-130039695.html

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006

Three Olives posted:

https://twitter.com/MKBHD/status/1651935278049685504

See, it's this kind of stuff that makes people not like MKBHD. "Better value"? Sure, there are reasons why you may want an Android tablet over an iPad but "better value" is ludicrous.

Hang on, I thought we didn’t like him because he worships Apple and only recommends the most expensive things

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

njsykora posted:

A better value version of the iPad, just without all the stuff people like iPads for like apps and good drawing tools and long software support and also $50 more expensive than a base iPad.

I feel like cross-comparing iOS and Android devices is, at a certain point, specious.

Case in point, I tried to add a family member to my iTunes Family subscription last week, which is apparently impossible if you do not have any devices in the Apple/iOS ecosystem (I do not). The Apple Music app for Android flat out refuses to let you add any members to the plan you are paying for because it requires 2FA via an Apple device and has no alternative. You can login with 2FA via SMS, but you have to 2FA again to add somebody to your plan and that 2FA is iOS/MacOS device only.

I'm sure there are comparable examples where the chosen ecosystem is reversed (lmao, I'm not). I used to be pretty platform agnostic and indeed daily drove a Mac Pro but that kind of poo poo from a service you're paying for on a platform they claim to support really riles me up.

e: I do still use a 2013 MacBook Air on a daily basis. Unfortunately I couldn't use this because MacOS on that hardware is abandonware and it works perfectly fine with Linux.

Theophany fucked around with this message at 18:20 on Apr 28, 2023

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Charles Leclerc posted:

looks like LTT wiped a load of the jank off their infrastructure lol

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lK1gPoGxgAA
It's just a giant ad for all the companies that hand them hardware.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Klyith posted:

Weirdly, no other review has that issue and most of them say the display is great. I wonder if Ars got a bad unit or had something wrong with it?
https://www.theverge.com/23701161/oneplus-pad-android-tablet-review
https://www.engadget.com/oneplus-pad-review-solid-hardware-thats-let-down-by-android-130039695.html

TheVerge and Engadget would require the screen to have done warcrimes to get a bad score out of them.

power crystals
Jun 6, 2007

Who wants a belly rub??

But enough about LTT the channel, what did you think of the video?

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

The Grumbles posted:

Hang on, I thought we didn’t like him because he worships Apple and only recommends the most expensive things

I'm ready to admit that if he's giving more attention to value that I'm now wrong and that he's better! Most of my opinions are from a few years ago when I didn't see him even look at a cheap phone.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

The Grumbles posted:

He's happy to shill for anyone.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

power crystals posted:

But enough about LTT the channel, what did you think of the video?
:rubby:

teraflame
Jan 7, 2009
People who say marques worships apple have never really watched him. He’s pretty level headed.

I like his car reviews the most.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

Welcome to YouTube old man, what fuckin' decade did they just unfreeze you from???

Factor Mystic
Mar 20, 2006

Baby's First Post-Apocalyptic Fiction
I'm amused by MKBHD's channel because they appear to spend SO much time planning/executing/polishing these robotic camera shots at the beginning of videos, but that I typically ignore. So much energy for so.... not actually useful output! I guess it makes them distinct which gets views, kudos for figuring out a system I guess.

Blurb3947
Sep 30, 2022
The more aggressive B roll shots that utilize that robotic camera are neat but I don't think they do too much of that anymore. I liked the closeup slider shots a lot years ago when they were novel but it's boring now, but that may be because the devices aren't as exciting as they used to be.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Lovingly shot cinema footage of a black rectangle can only scintillate for so long.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
It’s a silly thing I guess, because the creator putting in the extra effort shouldn’t be a bad thing, but I do seem to have a preference for reviews without super slick presentations.

mewse
May 2, 2006

LTT's networking rack looks about like i'd expect

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

mewse posted:

LTT's networking rack looks about like i'd expect

to be fair the others looked a lot better