Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I would ask my online buddies, and by online I mean the people on hot city BBS (gilroy, california), for help when I got really badly into the weeds of config.sys/autoexec.bat nonsense

which reminds me of another funny tech poo poo: the absolute minimal DOS install could be missing both edit.exe and edlin.exe, and if you needed to fix a problem with one of these .bat or .sys files, you could still do it by using:
code:
copy con autoexec.bat
and then everything you type until you hit control z or whatever, is the new file. But no backspaces! Those'd be captured literally. So you had to type it in perfect in one go, and if you made a typo, you had to start over. But the "copy" command was built into the basic DOS shell set of commands, so it was always available.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

all the dos stuff was all a couple years before i experienced the internet. we didnt even have it at my school or public library, so you just made do by guesswork

later, my first exposure to the internet was the guy who ran the youth club showed us a bbs and a picture of some playboy models boobies

that guy was probably a creep, wtf downloading pinups to be cool with a bunch of 13 year olds

e: to be generous he was probably like 16 and the only one in the vicinity who knew how to make computer do thing. still tho, ew

greg the peanut
Dec 24, 2000

My pencil case from undergrad, technically a Sony product??

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

Leperflesh posted:

I would ask my online buddies, and by online I mean the people on hot city BBS (gilroy, california), for help when I got really badly into the weeds of config.sys/autoexec.bat nonsense

which reminds me of another funny tech poo poo: the absolute minimal DOS install could be missing both edit.exe and edlin.exe, and if you needed to fix a problem with one of these .bat or .sys files, you could still do it by using:
code:
copy con autoexec.bat
and then everything you type until you hit control z or whatever, is the new file. But no backspaces! Those'd be captured literally. So you had to type it in perfect in one go, and if you made a typo, you had to start over. But the "copy" command was built into the basic DOS shell set of commands, so it was always available.

i forgot about copy con but I used to do it for some reason that i definitely can't remember

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

lol this is the most niche of niche poo poo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wg2Si7D3JS0

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast
bitmap font cartridges for printers

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
soundfonts. if we still relied on MIDI think of the DLC creative labs could have :allears:

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

git apologist posted:

i forgot about copy con but I used to do it for some reason that i definitely can't remember

still to this day even on windows 11 22h2 it wont let you name a file or folder "con" the legacy lives on

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

NoneMoreNegative posted:

lol this is the most niche of niche poo poo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wg2Si7D3JS0

drat I'd never heard of cd text, what an actual good idea. classic Sony.

other people
Jun 27, 2004
Associate Christ
I had a cd burner and car cd player (sony) that did cd text and seeing the track name on the screen was loving awesome

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
yeah I remember that lol

HELLOMYNAMEIS___
Dec 30, 2007

picasa.

i just remembered while uploading photos to google photos and having some trouble, we got to talking with a friend and both were of the opinion that we'd never had such issues with picasa.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

picasa is one of the few things i was actively using when google bought it and was enraged when they shut it down because no other image library software at the time did what i was using picasa for

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

njsykora posted:

picasa is one of the few things i was actively using when google bought it and was enraged when they shut it down because no other image library software at the time did what i was using picasa for

same here. it was very good for me at the time and it felt like years before something similar came along

yippee cahier
Mar 28, 2005

yeah, that was a good one. the old google chat client that was like 120kB and had zero UI latency was pretty nice too.

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice
i switched away from google photos when i realized i'd somehow turned on the "space optimizer" option for like 18 months. i don't remember ever turning it on; i made sure it was off when they first rolled out that option and my photos from then were "original quality" so i think it was when i migrated to a new phone and then was "fixed" when I moved to a newer phone after that. i never actually switched it to "original quality" either after the very first time i did; i only think it was on because i noticed a lot of my photos were set to "space optimizer" individually even though the option was off in my settings.

now i pay for icloud instead and use apple photos. gently caress you google.

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

i use syncthing to store my pictures on a big server with my wife.

well, i would if i had a wife, anyway.

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice
apple is far from perfect but i appreciate they still support the idea of having your photos stored both locally and in the cloud. when i was still using google photos i was doing a google takeout export every few months because afaik they don't let you sync photos locally anymore.

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

a medium-format picture of beeftweeter staring silently at the camera, a quizzical expression on his face
lol better make sure icloud isn't transcoding your stuff to HEIC/HEVC then

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

my mom lost what little faith she had in computers when my dad bought her a new PC and she couldn’t install Picasa on it

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
i have seen more normies get ready to climb a clock tower over Picasa and Shutterfly than any other software products or services period, by like a factor of 10

those of us not infected with the internet poison really like the pictures and dislike them going away.

Manzoon
Oct 12, 2005

ALPHASTRIKE!!!

Installing quake 2 demo on a grade school friend's older brother's computer and hiding the install directory in a random folder. Playing it and remarking how much cooler it would look with a 3d accelerator because all the particles would be round instead of square.

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice

Beeftweeter posted:

lol better make sure icloud isn't transcoding your stuff to HEIC/HEVC then

where did you get the idea it does? are you thinking about when they changed the camera default to heic but continued to not change the format of existing files and if you changed it back to jpeg it would respect that and not change it again? and either way it was preserving the photos at the highest resolution you saved them as? is that the one?

anyway my stuff is already in heic/hevc :smuggo:

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through
speaking of repair chat every few months here they run a repair café (i think this is a trend) where nerds go to a room and sit behind tables and the public comes in with busted poo poo to get fixed at low/no cost, depending

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
that's really cool

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

yeah they focus on like, not ipads and stuff for obvious reasons but they also offer advice for those

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

I would very much like to participate in something like that.

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

I'm looking for the man who shot my paw.

Sagebrush posted:

couldn’t you just ask one of your students to fix your stuff? for extra credit or something

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Roosevelt posted:

couldn’t you just ask one of your students to fix your stuff? for extra credit or something

the students who can't use a mouse and make PDFs out of phone photos?

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Sagebrush posted:

good lord yes me too, it's awesome

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

it’s a movement! sort of. y’all should try starting one near you.

https://www.repaircafe.org/en/

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

i haven't washed my penis since i jerked it to a phtotograph of george w. bush in 2003
that’s dope af, i can help with bicycles and jewelry and some electronics maybe!

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

i haven't washed my penis since i jerked it to a phtotograph of george w. bush in 2003
most bike fixes are super easy. replace inner tube (maybe also rim tape), twist some barrel adjusters, oil things up, brake pads, you are like 80% of the way there.

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Stupid drivers always breaking car, Gronk fix car...
i missed radioshack chat but my solution was to just buy the place out by getting the 70-90% closing discount if i purchased the cabinets whole and rolled them out to the car

got all the soldering and arduino stuff too

Only registered members can see post attachments!

mr.winky
May 1, 2023

by vyelkin
the white house running on dial-up and fuzzy memory in the year 2023

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

DJ Commie posted:

i missed radioshack chat but my solution was to just buy the place out by getting the 70-90% closing discount if i purchased the cabinets whole and rolled them out to the car

that’s a good score, the hoarder inside me says, next to boxes of my own unused components.

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Stupid drivers always breaking car, Gronk fix car...

EIDE Van Hagar posted:

that’s a good score, the hoarder inside me says, next to boxes of my own unused components.

it has been exactly like you said, currently it is in a storage shed since a kiddo took over the room

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

DELETE CASCADE posted:

most bike fixes are super easy. replace inner tube (maybe also rim tape), twist some barrel adjusters, oil things up, brake pads, you are like 80% of the way there.

dont oil the brake pads tho

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

glossy screens

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

DJ Commie posted:

industrial shelving and storage at a discount is always a win. that stuff is surprisingly expensive