Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
At the very least they could have used Welcome to the Jungle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

doomrider7 posted:

That makes sense. A few tracks like Battle Without Honor and No Rest Till Brooklyn actually work, but Take on Me and Holding Out for a Hero just feel WAY off and pretty overplayed respectively(would need to hear what they had in mind for the Obstacle Course for any more thoughts). Mr. Blue Sky was actually a really good choice since it's the closing song for this movie and was the opening one for GotG2 which also starred Chris Pratt.

Mr blue sky also feels like a good morning music. But yeah, Take on me and holding out for a hero are the worst.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
I'm just glad they won the fight to not use Jump for the final fight cause holy poo poo that would've absolutely wrecked the entire tone of that scene

MokBa
Jun 8, 2006

If you see something suspicious, bomb it!

I didn’t really mind Holding Out for a Hero but Take On Me was INCREDIBLY jarring and out of place. And hearing the original score makes it all the sadder. Thank god they didn’t change the climax music because the orchestrated star theme made that scene work.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Ghost Leviathan posted:

At the very least they could have used Welcome to the Jungle.

Agree.

Macaluso posted:

I'm just glad they won the fight to not use Jump for the final fight cause holy poo poo that would've absolutely wrecked the entire tone of that scene

Thank God for that one.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

MokBa posted:

I didn’t really mind Holding Out for a Hero but Take On Me was INCREDIBLY jarring and out of place.

So there's this old anti-sitcom called Get A Life that was on FOX for a minute in the early 90's. Despite the whole thing being surrealist and cynical, FOX execs insisted it have a laugh track. As was the custom of the time. The creators responded by sarcastically inserting the laugh track into the most inappropriate moments they could find. An alien beats up the pope? Laugh track. Little girl wheels severed body parts in her stroller? Laugh track. The main character drowns in his cereal while his parents ignore him? Laugh track.

I choose to believe this is why Take On Me is where it is.

mutantIke
Oct 24, 2022

Born in '04
Certified Zoomer
reminds me of an article I read about a sitcom where it was so inconsequential that they slowly made it a surreal nightmare and nobody noticed https://www.avclub.com/nobodys-watching-the-strange-genius-of-the-fourth-seas-1798220591

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

https://twitter.com/catsuka/status/1652571106375598081?s=20

https://news.denfaminicogamer.jp/interview/230428w

So, yeah, apparently Mario and Luigi's mom and dad were canon all along and have had official designs for over two decades, it just never came up in the games before.

Also, the Mario movie has officially made over a billion dollars so I feel like it's pretty safe to we'll be getting more films based on Nintendo properties in the future.

Does anyone know how Illumination was chosen to be the one to make the Mario movie? I imagine a lot of other animation studios wanted to get a piece of that sweet Nintendo money pie.

Space Cadet Omoly fucked around with this message at 21:58 on Apr 30, 2023

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
They hit the other studios in line with a freeze ray.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

mutantIke posted:

reminds me of an article I read about a sitcom where it was so inconsequential that they slowly made it a surreal nightmare and nobody noticed https://www.avclub.com/nobodys-watching-the-strange-genius-of-the-fourth-seas-1798220591

Was not expecting to see Til' Death.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

I did a little digging and it turns out Miyamoto himself answered the "Why illumination?" question back in 2018: https://www.nintendolife.com/news/2018/02/miyamoto_explains_why_illumination_was_chosen_for_the_upcoming_mario_movie

BioEnchanted posted:

They hit the other studios in line with a freeze ray.

This was probably a factor as well

mutantIke
Oct 24, 2022

Born in '04
Certified Zoomer
Illumination does fit Nintendo's reputation not taking risks with their story in order to maintain brand image (see: the original pitch for the Lorax movie)

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I would not be surprised if Nintendo shopped the movie around at Dreamworks and Disney first but I imagine both of them wanted way more control over the movie than Nintendo would've wanted, while it seems like the most control Illumination had was the bad music choices

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

Also, the Mario movie has officially made over a billion movies

My god. It's spreading,

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Bleck posted:

My god. It's spreading,

I have gone back and edited my original post in shame.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

The UK is currently in the first of three three-day weekends between now and the end of May and there's basically zero competition in kids films until Little Mermaid at the end of the month. Mario's going to keep bopping coins out of that ? block

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

https://twitter.com/Wierd_o78033920/status/1652355981005783041

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dzJvuswZ5ys

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

Stick person fighting animations were my favorite part of the Flash animation era

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

A new book about Studio Ghibli came out, taking a more critical angle on the studio.

https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/review/studio-ghibli/an-industrial-history/non-fiction-book/.197405

quote:

Denison points up that Ghibli's producer and sometime President Toshio Suzuki has made brutal comments about what working at Ghibli can be like, even for an artist as great as Yoshifumi Kondō – Suzuki claimed that Kondo was abused and traumatized by Takahata when he worked for him. (The Ghibli commentator Alex Dudok de Wit has said that Suzuki “kind of retracted” his comments about Takahata later on.)

quote:

Denison finds evidence in animators' public comments that working at Ghibli was relentlessly pressured, with animators typically working all night and on public holidays. Koji Morimoto, beloved by many sakuga fans, recalls feeling lost and confused animating the "everyday drama" of Kiki's Delivery Service (pictured left); he would have preferred an action film like Laputa. For Makiko Futaki, another elite animator, the challenge of Kiki was that “there is only one correct interpretation of the storyboards drawn by Miyazaki. How the shots must be executed is pretty much already decided in Miyazaki's mind…”

quote:

Porco Rosso (pictured left) depicts an “ideal” workplace – Piccolo's factory, where the titular pilot (often seen as a stand-in for Miyazaki) – sees his new plane created by an army of industrious women and girls. Denison points out, though, that Ghibli's promotion of the film was cringe-worthy. Its cinema program boasted that Porco Rosso had been made by “an army of a beautiful woman.”

Similarly, a production report on Totoro described the producer Eiko Tanaka as shouldering burdens and being “a triple threat warrior: vigorous, cheerful and beautiful.” Denison notes, “Tanaka's production work is masculinized (she is a warrior who shoulders burdens) but simultaneously she is sexualized (beautiful) and made to perform her production role in a service industry mode (cheerfully)”. She's both elevated yet framed in “reductive, almost anti-feminist ways.” Tanaka would go on to co-found STUDIO4°C, over which she's presided for nearly forty years.

quote:

In Denison's research, she never found a Ghibli female director “for feature films, short films, music videos, or even advertisements.” That puts Ghibli well behind not just Kyoto Animation or Science SARU but also Disney Animation, Pixar, and DreamWorks Animation which are frequently framed as being less progressive than the home of San, Kiki, and Chihiro.

It also contains info about one live action movie Studio Ghibli produced, that stars Steven Seagal's half Japanese daughter and is based on a book she wrote. and is directed by Hedaki Anno, creator of Evangelion.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
I put off seeing Mario for the past few weeks because I was hoping I'd manage to get a less packed theater with no kids. lol no dice there, pretty sure the kids behind me were at their (at least) 2nd show. Anyway, movie was surprisingly good, though maybe I had just set my expectations low after reading reviews.

Echoing everyone else's thoughts about the music though. Normally I'm a sucker for a "Holding Out For A Hero" drop and like it even when others hate it but it just absolutely did not work for the scene in this movie. Although I will admit that the very beginning of Take On Me got a chuckle out of me at first because the 80s music combined with the appearance of the white-sportscoated Kong just somehow matched perfectly... then the song kept going and I was immediately like ohhhh this sucks. Anyway 8/10 will see the inevitable sequel.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Party Boat posted:

The UK is currently in the first of three three-day weekends between now and the end of May and there's basically zero competition in kids films until Little Mermaid at the end of the month. Mario's going to keep bopping coins out of that ? block

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qhVEu0ax0bw

Sivart13
May 18, 2003
I have neglected to come up with a clever title
in the wake of all this Take On Me talk I heard what I presume is this sad acoustic version at the supermarket today

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-xKM3mGt2pE

so maybe you can all think about how at least the movie doesn't have this version in it and maybe you've got it pretty good actually hmmmmm?

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

that version rules actually

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Sivart13 posted:

in the wake of all this Take On Me talk I heard what I presume is this sad acoustic version at the supermarket today

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-xKM3mGt2pE

so maybe you can all think about how at least the movie doesn't have this version in it and maybe you've got it pretty good actually hmmmmm?

awwwwww, but I like it. You're right that it doesn't belong in a Mario movie though. Although, I tried playing that song over this footage of Mario gameplay:

And it actually matched up weirdly well, so maybe a sad slow version of Take On Me SHOULD be in the Luigi's Mansion movie. Maybe Melody plays it on her piano before Luigi ghost-busts her.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Macaluso posted:

I would not be surprised if Nintendo shopped the movie around at Dreamworks and Disney first but I imagine both of them wanted way more control over the movie than Nintendo would've wanted, while it seems like the most control Illumination had was the bad music choices

Yeah, and given what happened the last time they made a Mario movie I imagine Nintendo doesn't want to cede an inch more than they have to. On the other have, Illumination's visual style and movement has always been top-notch, and it really shows with the physical gags, action sequences and general kinetic feeling throughout the whole movie.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Madness Combat feature film when

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

SirSamVimes posted:

Madness Combat feature film when

My God those were amazing.

Pootybutt
Apr 5, 2011

Saw the Mario flick w the hubby over the weeked. It was dogshit.

Went home and washed out that bad taste by rewatching Chicken Run for the first time in prolly 20 years and goddamn what a good movie. Was like night and day, experiencing something capable of humor, warmth, jokes, visual storytelling, payoffs, fun voices, character arcs, literally anything that makes movies movies. Perfectly Bri'ish too.

mutantIke
Oct 24, 2022

Born in '04
Certified Zoomer

Pootybutt posted:

Went home and washed out that bad taste by rewatching Chicken Run for the first time in prolly 20 years and goddamn what a good movie. Was like night and day, experiencing something capable of humor, warmth, jokes, visual storytelling, payoffs, fun voices, character arcs, literally anything that makes movies movies. Perfectly Bri'ish too.

Still kind of in disbelief about that sequel. Pretty funny that they replaced Mel Gibson with Zachary Levi only for Levi to get wrapped up in some insane anti-vax controversy. No clue why they replaced the lead actress, though

Nikumatic
Feb 13, 2012

a fantastic machine made of meat
Weird rear end ageism according to her. She was told she was too old for the part .. and was replaced by an actress four years younger.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
Why the hell would that matter? It's an animated movie. She won't even be on screen.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

That was the reason for most of the cast changes wasn't it? Which is pretty ridiculous, I can't imagine any of them would sound that different, and it's set in the future anyway since Ginger and Rocky's kid is a character

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

People's voices do age, but I can't imagine it'd age drastically enough to warrant a recast

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde
Maybe it was just cheaper but they wanted her to feel bad.

ccubed
Jul 14, 2016

How's it hanging, brah?
Counterpoint: Have you heard the voice actors for The Simpsons these days?

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
No. I haven't seen an episode of The Simpsons newer than maybe '11.

I didn't think anyone had.

a strange fowl
Oct 27, 2022

the simpsons.....

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!

doomrider7 posted:

My God those were amazing.

Series is still going, too. Even got a big video game adaptation.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

ccubed posted:

Counterpoint: Have you heard the voice actors for The Simpsons these days?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

The same actress for goku is still used to this day and it's kinda insane how committed they are to him sounding like a little grandma