Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Asteroid Alert posted:

"And just to be clear, this brand new original animated movie is already finished and in the can. So it's 100% real, happening, and coming out very soon."

Shadowdropping next week on HBO Max?

And deleted from existence 3 days later.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"Negotiations were going well. They were very impressed by my hat." -Issaries the Concilliator"

Asteroid Alert posted:

"And just to be clear, this brand new original animated movie is already finished and in the can. So it's 100% real, happening, and coming out very soon."

Shadowdropping next week on HBO Max?

And it is completely faithful to original series, including using only Amiga video toasters for rendering all the cgi.
It took only 20 years to render it all.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

CainFortea posted:

B5 The Anime was not on anyone's bingo card.

Kawaii Vorlons?

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!
So predictions on what this'll be? Fingers crossed for The Dilgar War.

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

This may or may not be correct.

Issaries posted:

And it is completely faithful to original series, including using only Amiga video toasters for rendering all the cgi.
It took only 20 years to render it all.

Looking forward to Babylon 5 Beast Wars

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

babylon 5 done in the style of legend of the galactic heroes would be very nice

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

Q_res posted:

So predictions on what this'll be? Fingers crossed for The Dilgar War.

The Telepath War is the one story that JMS has badly wanted to tell ever since the end of the series and hasn't had the opportunity to do. I'm thinking that's it.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

CainFortea posted:

B5 The Anime was not on anyone's bingo card.

Grand Fromage posted:

My safe bet is audio drama. Out there one is animated series.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Grand Fromage = JMS confirmed.

Zat
Jan 16, 2008

Well, that's kinda exciting. Very cool that it's finished and ready to go and we had no idea!

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Holy poo poo my out there guess was right(ish).

Zaroff
Nov 10, 2009

Nothing in the world can stop me now!
Is this the same thing that was intended for Comic Con?
And if so, would the fact it’s being announced now suggest it’s coming sooner rather than later?

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Yeah. If it's already finished I doubt they're going to sit on it all that long.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

Based off no information beyond what's in JMS's tweets I'm guessing it'll be out sometime this summer.

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008

ultrafilter posted:

The Telepath War is the one story that JMS has badly wanted to tell ever since the end of the series and hasn't had the opportunity to do. I'm thinking that's it.

Doing that while Koenig is still alive would make a lot of sense, but I don’t know it’s a story that can be told in a single movie.

You all realize that in some alternate reality, Crusade was a runaway hit, JMS just announced a Crusade animated movie, and somebody designed an advertisement saying “Welcome to Max” over the animated face of Max Eilerson.

Although it’s plausible some sort of “Timeline Authority” was formed to specifically preclude that possibility. I liked Crusade, but I know a lot of people didn’t.

Edit: And I see Variety and a number of other places have somehow taken the JMS “movie is in the can” post and translated it into “Babylon 5 Animated Movie in the works.”

Edit edit: Can I just say how much I appreciate that this movie happened without making the fans Kickstarter it?

Narsham fucked around with this message at 18:43 on May 3, 2023

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

This may or may not be correct.

lobster shirt posted:

babylon 5 done in the style of legend of the galactic heroes would be very nice

I just started LotGH recently and had similar thoughts. A ton of the Empire characters in particular feel like prototype Centauri, foppish and decadent and backstabby in similar amounts

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

I like your style hombre, but this is no laughing matter. Assault on a police officer. Theft of police property. Illegal possession of a firearm. FIVE counts of attempted murder. That comes to... 29 dollars and 40 cents. Cash, cheque, or credit card?

CainFortea posted:

Grand Fromage = JMS confirmed.

He's the big cheese for a reason.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

Narsham posted:

Doing that while Koenig is still alive would make a lot of sense, but I don’t know it’s a story that can be told in a single movie.

It's definitely less than ideal but how many other options are there at this point?

I could see the movie being just part of it, though. Some books or comics to flesh out the story could work.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

My guess for release date is on the 23rd as part of the HBO Max -> Max.com rebranding.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Fools, the babylon 5 rvival isn't cancelled, it's merely a collection of everything Zaslav personally hates. Nothing can go wrong.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

So that turned out to be a nothing burger. I dunno, I couldn't be any less interested in this.

Clouseau
Aug 3, 2003

My theories appall you, my heresies outrage you, I never answer letters, and you don't like my tie.
A cursory glance at some of the cast's social medias (potential casting spoilers, nothing else): Boxleitner, Christian (!), Mumy, and Tallman have all posted about it. Idk about anyone else.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

I hope Bester's in it. Koenig did some voice work in the last season of Picard and still sounds great.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

My wife and I are going to watch In the Beginning this week, she has actually never seen it, but as seen all 5 seasons of Babylon 5 when I introduced it to her.

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

in the beginning is easily the best of the babylon 5 movies, it rocks

Clouseau
Aug 3, 2003

My theories appall you, my heresies outrage you, I never answer letters, and you don't like my tie.

Grand Fromage posted:

I hope Bester's in it. Koenig did some voice work in the last season of Picard and still sounds great.

I also had that thought, and I really really want this to be true. He obviously had more Bester poo poo he wanted to get to, what with that Crusade episode with him that was never made. Lets see him off!

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

Finally, I wasn't really joking before when I said that Marcus was Jedi-like. His fighting moves and extendable hurty stick remind me a lot of the prequels. He's totally going to end up with Ivanova at the end of this.

I mean... Not wrong, butttt

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Lol, yes, technically Marcus was with Ivanova at the end.

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

sebmojo posted:

Technically correct for sure. :ohdear:

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.
The least she could’ve done is boffed him once

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

I said come in! posted:

So that turned out to be a nothing burger. I dunno, I couldn't be any less interested in this.

I can't help but be disappointed when what I really wanted was a good remaster. But I will do my best to give this a fair shot.

Now an audio drama, I would have been right there with you.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Angepain posted:

Funnily enough my very slow watch of B5 has also just gotten to 3x08. I just came in here for one reason: to vent about how much I hate Marcus. I actively do not care about this man. everything I know about him I resent having come into my brain.

At least the suit-mandated pilot guy from season 2 had the benefit of being completely dull and forgettable, this guy is just obnoxious. I hate his smug pretentious face. I hope he dies in a very boring way and nobody mentions him ever again. Ivanova you can do so much better

Some heavy marcus opinions gonna happen in a season.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

sebmojo posted:

I'm getting more amusement out of this:

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

And speaking of the forces of evil: "Eternal vigilance is the price of freedom" was a chilling line because of how similar it was to something Picard said to Worf in "The Drumhead". It never occurs to these freaks that if you have to destroy something in order to save it, maybe that thing wasn't really worth saving in the first place.

The "chilling line" is a quote from Thomas Jefferson.

tribbledirigible
Jul 27, 2004
I finally beat the internet. The end boss was hard.

Jedit posted:

I'm getting more amusement out of this:

The "chilling line" is a quote from Thomas Jefferson Admiral Tolwyn.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

*inhales forcefully through nose* With every FIBER of my being

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

The Suffering of the Succotash.
Don't make me tap the Egyptian god of frustration.

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"Negotiations were going well. They were very impressed by my hat." -Issaries the Concilliator"

Clouseau posted:

A cursory glance at some of the cast's social medias (potential casting spoilers, nothing else): Boxleitner, Christian (!), Mumy, and Tallman have all posted about it. Idk about anyone else.

Hopefully they'll recast and use some of the other older characters too.
Babylon 5 movie without G'kar, Delenn or Garibaldi wouldn't be the same.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Can't wait for an animated B5 movie that's entirely in the style of early 90s CGI cartoons.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

CainFortea posted:

Lol, yes, technically Marcus was with Ivanova at the end.

WE DO NOT TALK ABOUT THAT.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Doctor Zero posted:

WE DO NOT TALK ABOUT THAT.

"something, something" unpublished?