Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

MockingQuantum posted:

I don't know if it's because he's a good player and that's scary or whatever but it does kind of weird me out just how much of d1 discussion centers around binus in the games I've played with him, how do you even play against that regardless of what team you're on

if you think that's bad, shift discussion to something you think is scummy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PlasticAutomaton
Nov 12, 2016

Artoria Pendonut

This whole discussion feels a bit off, tbh, though I can't put my finger on that off is.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

Sandwolf posted:

no one said this

ah my mistake, that's how I read " imo it's easiest to just presume he's scum", my apologies for misunderstanding

shwinnebego
Jul 11, 2002

Capitalist Pig is scum please vote capitalist pig thank you

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

Sandwolf posted:

if you think that's bad, shift discussion to something you think is scummy.

I mean I effectively did, I think the votes on binus because his posting is in some way scummy despite looking like every recent game I've seen him in, is suspicious

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

MockingQuantum posted:

I mean I effectively did, I think the votes on binus because his posting is in some way scummy despite looking like every recent game I've seen him in, is suspicious

You do remember he was scum for a bunch of those games, yes?

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

MockingQuantum posted:

ah my mistake, that's how I read " imo it's easiest to just presume he's scum", my apologies for misunderstanding

Presume he’s scum, rather than bothering with if he’s 3P or town with an ortho-win-con explaining his weirdness. I am not defaulting to binus being scum, evidenced by the fact that I wrote a loving case.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012
I don't really have the experience to comment on meta reads, and I think generally they're not great cases, but I'm pretty convinced that sandwolf is town

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

Sandwolf posted:

Presume he’s scum, rather than bothering with if he’s 3P or town with an ortho-win-con explaining his weirdness. I am not defaulting to binus being scum, evidenced by the fact that I wrote a loving case.

yes, I apologize, I misunderstood.

votefinder
Jul 6, 2010

scoop scoop
Votecount for Day 1

saladscooper (3): Maugrim, Green Wing, PlasticAutomaton, fool of sound, shwinnebego, Green Wing, shwinnebego
b-minus1 (2): Green Wing, Sandwolf
CubicalSucrose (2): Cloacamazing!, Cloacamazing!, saladscooper, Illusionis
CapitalistPig (1): CapitalistPig, CapitalistPig, shwinnebego
fool of sound (1): PlasticAutomaton, PlasticAutomaton, Cloacamazing!
shwinnebego (1): Green Wing, Green Wing, CapitalistPig
Green Wing (1): Yami Fenrir, saladscooper, CapitalistPig, CapitalistPig, saladscooper
Maugrim (1): b-minus1, CapitalistPig, CapitalistPig
Toalpaz (1): Illusionis, Mr. Humalong, Illusionis
Sandwolf (0): Mr. Humalong, Mr. Humalong
MockingQuantum (0): b-minus1, b-minus1
Cloacamazing! (0): CapitalistPig, CapitalistPig
Illusionis (0): shwinnebego, saladscooper, shwinnebego, saladscooper
Tired Moritz (0): saladscooper, Cloacamazing!, Cloacamazing!, saladscooper
Yami Fenrir (0): Illusionis, Illusionis, shwinnebego, shwinnebego

Not Voting (4): CubicalSucrose, MockingQuantum, Tired Moritz, Toalpaz

With 17 alive, it's 9 votes to execute. The current deadline is May 04th, 2023 at 9 p.m. UTC -- that's in about 4 hours.

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

Sorry I usually swear for emphasis but I know it comes off as really hostile, I apologize if it came across that way.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

Sandwolf posted:

Sorry I usually swear for emphasis but I know it comes off as really hostile, I apologize if it came across that way.

nah I'm the dummy here, I should have slowed down and read a little closer

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012
My time is going to be limited as we approach deadline so just generally:

happy to vote, in order of priority: salad>cpig>maybe illu

ambivalent but willing to vote: cubical, toal (but mostly because they always read like scum to me), moritz, huma, green wing?

resistant to voting: yami, plastic, maugrim, binus, cloaca

won't vote: sandwolf, quantum, probably shwin

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face
I won't be voting binus even though he's tunnelling me, consider it penance for accidentally shooting him N1 in my last (first) game

He was scum so I'm not THAT sorry about it, but I was aiming at toal

Green Wing
Oct 28, 2013

It's the only word they know, but it's such a big word for a tiny creature

Just got off work and the upshot of what I've seen so far today is that honestly, I'm more confident about my binus vote than before, largely on the same basis that I put down the vote originally, that has been echoed by others - townreads a'plenty, scumreads a'few. I do feel bad for somebody that leaves games early a lot, but in the last game we were in together he made it longer so I don't feel too bad, and this scummy impression that only increased since I was last able to read the thread. That's good enough for a D1 vote in my eyes.

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

Maugrim posted:

I won't be voting binus even though he's tunnelling me, consider it penance for accidentally shooting him N1 in my last (first) game

what the hell

Green Wing
Oct 28, 2013

Maugrim posted:

oh did he die N1 in pinball? I must be misremembering how long he lasted there.

Eesh I was checked out in that game.

Green Wing
Oct 28, 2013

Tired Moritz posted:

I will not vote scum Wing for now until I get to test my meta read of her

absolutely itching to know what this is, btw. You'd better tell me at some point or after the game.

shwinnebego
Jul 11, 2002

fool of sound posted:

My time is going to be limited as we approach deadline so just generally:

happy to vote, in order of priority: salad>cpig>maybe illu

ambivalent but willing to vote: cubical, toal (but mostly because they always read like scum to me), moritz, huma, green wing?

resistant to voting: yami, plastic, maugrim, binus, cloaca

won't vote: sandwolf, quantum, probably shwin

i'm strongly aligned with your scum reads

which is itself sorta suspicious

but either way vote capitalist pig

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

Green Wing posted:

oh did he die N1 in pinball? I must be misremembering how long he lasted there.

Eesh I was checked out in that game.

I was also *scum with him that game* and *kept telling him he wasn’t making enough scumreads* and that his scumtell is *makes town reads the way he usually makes scumreads*

But no, ignore me, what do I know. I’ve only been playing with the guy for a decade.

Green Wing
Oct 28, 2013

Sandwolf posted:

I was also *scum with him that game* and *kept telling him he wasn’t making enough scumreads* and that his scumtell is *makes town reads the way he usually makes scumreads*

But no, ignore me, what do I know. I’ve only been playing with the guy for a decade.

I'm not ignoring you, I said I would be voting for him today.

Green Wing
Oct 28, 2013

I'm agreeing with you, friend.

Green Wing
Oct 28, 2013

I only said I'd feel less bad about it because he lasted longer in that game - but he actually didn't...but the scum read feeling I have is too strong so I'll just feel bad about it and live with it. Sic transit gloria mafii.

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

Green Wing posted:

I'm not ignoring you, I said I would be voting for him today.

I’m talking to the newbies! lol

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face
Okay have a qualification to my previous post, I'll be here for deadline and will hammer anyone, binus included, to prevent no execute.

Green Wing
Oct 28, 2013

Oh, aha. Right, sorry :shobon:

b-minus1
Jul 24, 2008

She's a maniac, maniac
on the floor
And she's dancing like she's never danced before
I’m happy to report that I am town in this game

b-minus1
Jul 24, 2008

She's a maniac, maniac
on the floor

PlasticAutomaton posted:

This whole discussion feels a bit off, tbh, though I can't put my finger on that off is.

I’m being tunneled

Cloacamazing!
Apr 18, 2018

Too cute to be evil
Well, so much for my "binus didn't directly say he was town, he just quoted someone like in Stellaris 2" point

Green Wing
Oct 28, 2013

Decided to read cpig, largely because Maugrim has him down as the most preferred vote and I don't see it. Cpig was right that my vote was the weakest on salad, and looking back on it now I think I was a bit too hasty there anyway, and I don't hate the shwinn vote either. It seems like normal scumhunting, modulo D1.

b-minus1
Jul 24, 2008

She's a maniac, maniac
on the floor

Cloacamazing! posted:

Well, so much for my "binus didn't directly say he was town, he just quoted someone like in Stellaris 2" point

I would never lie about something like that

Green Wing
Oct 28, 2013

MockingQuantum posted:

chuckles aside, yes I don't often voice suspicions d1 because as much as we all love jokephase---and we really do love it, don't we, folks---I think d1 meta reads are either bunk and no more likely to be right than a coin flip, or i'm just too new/bad/dumb to make good meta reads

but that aside, I'm a firm believer that being wrong in mafia is half the fun, so here's my kneejerk baseless list of d1 suspects:

Green Wing
Plastic
Clo
Toal

and my very confident definitely not mostly random list of townreads:

binus
Maugrim
Toal

for my less random, somewhat informed reads:
-I think either shwinn or cooper are suspicious but I can't decide which
-I think cube is inherently suspicious because I think they intentionally do weird D1 self-imposed policy vote things to intentionally confound meta reads which is a good way to hide both scum and townie play, but also I respect the hustle and would do it myself if I was smarter
-I was suspicious of TMor for the "I wont vote Green Wing because I want to test my GW meta read" (see above on my opinion of d1 meta reads) but also he supports keeping binus around on principle which I support

biggest iffy read right now is illu and yami based on them going after binus because this is literally exactly how binus played in the last game where he was town, I think scum shook by binus's very presence

I really do not like the *amount* of reads in this one post - and not just because I'm in the scumread pile. It's a common scum tactic to put in a scumbuddy among the scumreads, and this is just...so many vague reads. It's whitenoise. And it uses the D1 smokescreen to give coverage for those reads - and then gives *even more reads* in the lower pile.

Scattershot, white noise, wide-field interference-running. Whatever you want to call it, this post is giving me strong alarm bells. Putting this much suspicion out there allows for this post to be drawn out at a later time on a tactic of convenience, or a bussing if necessary.

I would go so far to say that for this post alone, Quantum is my #2 preferred vote today.

shwinnebego
Jul 11, 2002

Sandwolf posted:

hmmmmm

shwinnebego
Jul 11, 2002

i feel i would like to demand something in return for voting for binus with sandwolf but what

CubicalSucrose
Jan 1, 2013

Phantom my Opera and call me South Park: Bigger, Longer, & Uncut

Green Wing posted:

I really do not like the *amount* of reads in this one post - and not just because I'm in the scumread pile. It's a common scum tactic to put in a scumbuddy among the scumreads, and this is just...so many vague reads. It's whitenoise. And it uses the D1 smokescreen to give coverage for those reads - and then gives *even more reads* in the lower pile.

Scattershot, white noise, wide-field interference-running. Whatever you want to call it, this post is giving me strong alarm bells. Putting this much suspicion out there allows for this post to be drawn out at a later time on a tactic of convenience, or a bussing if necessary.

I would go so far to say that for this post alone, Quantum is my #2 preferred vote today.

QM getting called out again for not adhering to SA mafia best practices, don't like this at all.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

Green Wing posted:

so many vague reads. It's whitenoise.

welcome to my d1 posting, I wouldn't have even given the reads if someone hadn't pointed out I didn't express an opinion that I was too quiet about who I suspected

standing firmly by my opinion that d1 reads are nonsense anyway, including my own

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

shwinnebego posted:

i feel i would like to demand something in return for voting for binus with sandwolf but what

I have nothing of value to give in this life or the next

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

Is it I that is insane... or the rest of the world?
I do find it interesting that plastic has basically done jack poo poo this game but jump on a bandwagon and defend b- on flimsy reasoning so far.

shwinnebego
Jul 11, 2002

CubicalSucrose posted:

QM getting called out again for not adhering to SA mafia best practices, don't like this at all.

yah Quantum is a newer player who is just posting lots of reads to generate content. towny behavior, or if MQ is scum then this is an earnest and pretty good impression of how they'd scumhunt as town

Green Wing is reading them incorrectly through the lens of what constitutes "good" town play, but that doesn't mean Green Wing is scum

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Green Wing
Oct 28, 2013

CubicalSucrose posted:

This is a bad faith reading of my post! I don't care or adhere to SA mafia best practices, I overpost my thoughts and jump around with my votes all over. This is me saying - hey, this is scummy and this is why. Very bad faith dismissal of what I said!