Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
they actually got their second nine a few years ago and are cruising towards a third iirc

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mystes
May 31, 2006

Sapozhnik posted:

there is no such thing as a prototype
well yeah python doesn't have prototypes

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

bob dobbs is dead posted:

youtube has been materially rewritten and so had reddit. and reddit had disgusting perf and uptime problems for decades, almost all attributable to their eav db schema

Most companies could use Django until they encompass one of the largest websites on earth before they have to refactor then? :v:

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

kinda a yogi berra-ism but performance doesnt matter until it does

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill
python is an ok language because it provides decent abstractions for writing readable and maintainable code, unlike say c or go where the language is hostile to the idea of abstraction at all, or c++ or lisp where people get so obsessed with abstraction that they end up writing completely inscrutable poo poo.

Just a Moron
Nov 11, 2021

I think you're all forgetting that EVE Online is written in Python which definitely speaks to its quality and ability to build large applications.

lol

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Just a Moron posted:

I think you're all forgetting that EVE Online is written in Python which definitely speaks to its quality and ability to build large applications.

lol

I don't think anybody is advocating for writing games or performance-critical applications in Python. :v:

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
If I remember my Eve lore right, they simply wouldn't have made a functional game in time in a language they were less familiar with.

Getting stuck on an old version of Stackless Python was terrible, though.

Doktor Avalanche
Dec 30, 2008

give me javascript or give me death

12 rats tied together
Sep 7, 2006

the game was shipped and has been, presumably, a financial success for like 20 years.

seems good to me.

12 rats tied together
Sep 7, 2006

games programming is cool because you do the interview and they throw you some horseshit like "invert a b tree in place" and unlike "software" engineering if you press them they will explain that this was a real problem for the company because it had to run inside the xbox controller which has the wrong kind of ram

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

eve being python rules because it makes it extremely easy to reverse engineer and programmatically manipulate

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Just a Moron posted:

lol

not just python

*stackless* python

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

the eve online programmers making a bad decision does not denigrate the usefulness of the thing they built upon

source: every loving software application built forever into infinity

but also: god i hate these dialogs

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

basically the only useful software is built in raw c or assembly with no network access or nonenglish internationalization and anything else built on top of that is a hellworld

am i getting that right? there is no good programming

12 rats tied together
Sep 7, 2006

no. the computer is mostly good. and so is the programming. including javascript

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

12 rats tied together posted:

no. the computer is mostly good. and so is the programming. including javascript

:mods: :negative: :mods:

FlapYoJacks fucked around with this message at 00:34 on May 5, 2023

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.
odd that the thread called "terrible programming" is sometimes down on the concept as a whole

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

[while scribbling notes] and how do the gun and the penis rank

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

quiggy posted:

[while scribbling notes] and how do the gun and the penis rank

lmao i'll get my briefs n boots

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
i would like to remind everybody itt that they are posting on a forum written in PHP 4 with i think register_globals enabled

php is so atrociously bad that it is the entire reason why wafs exist. at least that's my headcanon.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

FlapYoJacks posted:

casting everything to void * is what enlightenment did and then Samsung forked enlightenment to make Tizen so every object with TizenOS is a void *. Or it used to be, perhaps they cleaned it up over the years.

Microsoft called their void* HANDLE.

lifg
Dec 4, 2000
<this tag left blank>
Muldoon
does PHP still let you ignore errors with the @ symbol? because I loved that.

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

lifg posted:

does PHP still let you ignore errors with the @ symbol? because I loved that.

C# lets you say "nah fam it's not null just trust me" with ! and it owns

Just a Moron
Nov 11, 2021

the game was shipped and has been, presumably, a financial success for like 20 years.

seems good to me.

I should clarify that I love EVE, I think it's great. But I've gotten the impression over the years that it running in python has been a consistent source of technical debt that they have to overcome.

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

Just a Moron posted:

I should clarify that I love EVE, I think it's great. But I've gotten the impression over the years that it running in python has been a consistent source of technical debt that they have to overcome.

it's a shame that keeps getting in the way of them becoming insanely profitable... oh.

Just a Moron
Nov 11, 2021

Today I ran into an amazing problem in LabVIEW. They have an event structure that you can setup to register and react to changes in variable state. What makes it beautiful, is that it only reacts to changes to variable state that are initiated from the GUI. So if a value is changed within your program, for example an external program modifying the variable over a network interface, the event handler ignores it. Naturally, this distinction isn't documented anywhere, isn't that great?

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
labviews wikipedia page has a section on the inability to zoom

Just a Moron
Nov 11, 2021

nudgenudgetilt posted:

it's a shame that keeps getting in the way of them becoming insanely profitable... oh.

They're profitable because they built a great game, but they're constantly running into performance problems. I guess that could be inevitable due to the single server architecture, but running in python probably doesn't help.

Just a Moron
Nov 11, 2021

bob dobbs is dead posted:

labviews wikipedia page has a section on the inability to zoom

Don't get me started on the zoom nonsense.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Just a Moron posted:

They're profitable because they built a great game, but they're constantly running into performance problems. I guess that could be inevitable due to the single server architecture, but running in python probably doesn't help.

Unlike those other games that don’t have performance issues and are coded in C++ like CP2027 or Jedi Survivor or Destiny 2. :v:

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

Just a Moron posted:

Don't get me started on the zoom nonsense.

i think its come up on this thread like 6 or 7 times, the implementation on pixels thing

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
eve "running into performance problems" is typically because they want to have thousands of players interacting with each other in a single instance, instead of having instanced content or forcibly dividing players between servers. it's purely a game design issue rather than a technology issue.

if you claimed that python was responsible for them not being able to delete billboards without breaking the game then that'd be pretty believable

Just a Moron
Nov 11, 2021

Fine, python is a perfectly good language.

I like using it over most other languages/environments. I was just repeating what I've been told in terms of how it scales.

Sagacity
May 2, 2003
Hopefully my epitaph will be funnier than my custom title.

Just a Moron posted:

I was just repeating what I've been told
you would fit right in on HN

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

I like python, I think it's fun to develop applications in.

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome

i've said it before and i'll say it again:

computers are fine. letting them talk to each other was the big mistake.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
I wrote and deployed a Python application while you were having this conversation.

(New job, their old phone directory was a static page generated as csv from LDAP via a large Perl script, then processed by a php script with a huge batch of dependencies, then uploaded. And it is dependent on deprecated and abandoned code.The new one is a few lines of Python, its dependencies are ldap3 and jinja2, and it works in a fraction of the time)

Yay Python imo.

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome
i remember when python was first released the big demo was "web server in three lines" or whatever where someone would bring up a terminal, start python then type whatever the three lines were and then be like "look at that! so powerful! so concise!" and like i was always so surprised when people were amazed by it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

Share Bear posted:

but also: god i hate these dialogs

I'll see if I can find or possibly create a nightmare to post later today