Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

ruddiger posted:

Has Takeshi Kitano ever showed up in any of Takeshi Miike's films?
I think I remember Kitano having a minor role in Izo

This makes me wanna rewatch Kitano's Zatoichi which I loved as a kid (just wish it didn't have cgi blood...)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

https://twitter.com/BlakeRobPerry/status/1654324120912293890?s=20

Thought the thread would enjoy this. It works amazingly well.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Can they just get to the movie faster by doing that with all the commercials? Just one cacophonous seizure-inducing ad for Coca-Nissan-iagra.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

thrawn527 posted:

Love that music video aesthetic.

How is this possible? Do they have multiple projectors, and separate ones for ads?

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

The MSJ posted:

Love that music video aesthetic.

How is this possible? Do they have multiple projectors, and separate ones for ads?

There are a few ways, but you’re onto what I think is most likely. There’s generally a lower quality projector for pre-roll ads that gets changed over to the main projector for the film. If one trailer was attached to the film, but the ad projector didn’t turn off and just rolled another ad in the queue, you could get this effect.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Lobok posted:

Can they just get to the movie faster by doing that with all the commercials? Just one cacophonous seizure-inducing ad for Coca-Nissan-iagra.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ekg45ub8bsk

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

Reminds me of old Butthole Surfers concerts where they would project footage of Charlie's Angels on top of footage of a sex change operation running in reverse. :getin:

EDIT: Also I think about this a lot:

caligulamprey fucked around with this message at 06:10 on May 6, 2023

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Click here to join Lem Lee in the Hell Of Being Cut To Pieces
Nap Ghost

caligulamprey posted:

Reminds me of old Butthole Surfers concerts where they would project footage of Charlie's Angels on top of footage of a sex change operation running in reverse. :getin:

They were playing the suicide scenes from The Happening along side the gender reassignment surgery videos at the last Surfers concert I went to.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

thrawn527 posted:

This would be the greatest movie of all time and is already one of my fav recent trailers lol

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

caligulamprey posted:

EDIT: Also I think about this a lot:

Lol that pic of Rock in the left corner

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

I would just like to state, for the record...the Butthole Surfers loving rule. That is all.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Butthole Surfers provided the theme song to Freaked.

They do rule.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ojZxibPh_Io

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

I have a file that is the love guru overlaid on top of you dont mess with the zohan at 50% with dark side of the moon as backing. I watched it on acid once and had a very bad time.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Dillbag posted:

They were playing the suicide scenes from The Happening along side the gender reassignment surgery videos at the last Surfers concert I went to.

That feels pretty loving transphobic to me. Did they explain themselves?

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Dillbag posted:

:yikes:

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

Yeah, I went to a butthole surfers show a couple decades ago and the gender reassignment surgery played for shock value felt exploitative to me even then.

Black Lighter
Sep 6, 2010

Just keep looking at what we're doing, keep watering and ask yourselves first and know 'Are you watering? And are you fertilizing every day?' So when it's time to pop, it'll pop.
Yeah, that sounds like something that was probably just meant to be transgressive in the 90's but is actively gross now, whether they mean it to be or not.

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
LOVES EVERY FUCKING GAME EVER MADE. EVER.

thrawn527 posted:

They both seem to be about 2 hours long, so I'm thinking we'll probably see full length mashups of these films at some point. NGL, they've gone from two films I have no interest in seeing, to being one weird film I would absolutely watch.

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

Gonz posted:

Butthole Surfers provided the theme song to Freaked.

They do rule.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ojZxibPh_Io
My local Ska-themed weed store that only plays EDM recently partnered with the animator and now they have slabs of clay from this credits sequence on the wall and it takes everything in my power not to steal them.

Black Lighter posted:

Yeah, that sounds like something that was probably just meant to be transgressive in the 90's but is actively gross now, whether they mean it to be or not.
Oh, they meant it. Butthole Surfers were weaponized Bad Acid Vibes and if you weren't on that wavelength they would absolutely cause hideous damage. It was actively gross back in the '80s too and they remain one of my favorite Psychedelic bands of all time.

Jedit posted:

Did they explain themselves?
lol

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Click here to join Lem Lee in the Hell Of Being Cut To Pieces
Nap Ghost

I guess they could go to Austin and confront Gibby themselves but I'm pretty sure all they'll get is a megaphone thrown at their head.

Black Lighter
Sep 6, 2010

Just keep looking at what we're doing, keep watering and ask yourselves first and know 'Are you watering? And are you fertilizing every day?' So when it's time to pop, it'll pop.

caligulamprey posted:

Oh, they meant it. Butthole Surfers were weaponized Bad Acid Vibes and if you weren't on that wavelength they would absolutely cause hideous damage. It was actively gross back in the '80s too and they remain one of my favorite Psychedelic bands of all time.

I meant 'gross' in the 'ew, transphobia' sense, not the 'ew, blood and surgery' sense

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

Black Lighter posted:

I meant 'gross' in the 'ew, transphobia' sense, not the 'ew, blood and surgery' sense
Those dudes have had an out gay drummer and were putting on dresses in Texas since the early '80s. I'm not the one to make the official call on what sense they were using the footage, but I give 'em the benefit of the doubt since they've always been in the LGBTQIA+ space.

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
LOVES EVERY FUCKING GAME EVER MADE. EVER.

caligulamprey posted:

Those dudes have had an out gay drummer and were putting on dresses in Texas since the early '80s. I'm not the one to make the official call on what sense they were using the footage, but I give 'em the benefit of the doubt since they've always been in the LGBTQIA+ space.

Not that I wish to further this derail, about a band I barely know, but a lot of the stuff you've said there doesn't really matter these days. In the UK, the TERF scene (especially online) is dominated by 50 year old white women, and 40 year old gay men. For some reason gays of a certain age are loving tripping over themselves to throw trans people to the wolves. I wish I was joking.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Yeah, being gay doesn't preclude transphobia. Hell, it's a hallmark of the TERF movement.

Also phone posting and my phone kept correcting "TERF" as "turd." lol

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

edogawa rando posted:

Also phone posting and my phone kept correcting "TERF" as "turd." lol

idgi, you just wrote the same word twice?

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Parkingtigers posted:

Not that I wish to further this derail, about a band I barely know, but a lot of the stuff you've said there doesn't really matter these days. In the UK, the TERF scene (especially online) is dominated by 50 year old white women, and 40 year old gay men. For some reason gays of a certain age are loving tripping over themselves to throw trans people to the wolves. I wish I was joking.

Similarly, comedian/satirist and raging transphobe Barry Humphries died the other week but he was most famous for his crossdressed character Dame Edna so a whooooole lot of apologists were concerntrolling "He was a drag performer and yet you're calling him a bigot???? Maybe the real bigot is YOU! Checkmate, liberals :smug:" and then in other threads the same folk were calling for a ban on drag queens doing story time for kids in public libraries with zero irony or self-reflection

The 'discourse' has been infuriating and is only getting worse, Sartre's 1946 quote about frivolous bigotry is becoming more relevant every day

Jean-Paul Sartre posted:

Never believe that anti-Semites are completely unaware of the absurdity of their replies. They know that their remarks are frivolous, open to challenge. But they are amusing themselves, for it is their adversary who is obliged to use words responsibly, since he believes in words. The anti-Semites have the right to play. They even like to play with discourse for, by giving ridiculous reasons, they discredit the seriousness of their interlocutors. They delight in acting in bad faith, since they seek not to persuade by sound argument but to intimidate and disconcert. If you press them too closely, they will abruptly fall silent, loftily indicating by some phrase that the time for argument is past.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

https://twitter.com/ROTBTrailer/status/1655383375660691457?t=yGDruo8sbje9WEs3nNSbGQ&s=19

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

I don't see Ariel anywhere in here. Boo.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Oh, here, have some actual content.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7KD8JwDmMFA

thrawn527 fucked around with this message at 14:21 on May 8, 2023

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Goddddddddddddddddd that looks really good.

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003
I don't like that as much as the previous ones. Also I didn't realize Matt Damon was going to have such a prominent role. Anyway, day 1 regardless.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

That’s a good rear end trailer.

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dG91B3hHyY4

Humans will eventually go extinct and this film will somehow be the one remaining piece of evidence of our existence that aliens will chance upon.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Did we really need another movie of Jason Statham punching a giant shark in the face?

Yes, the answer is obviously yes.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

That lady got Sam Jacksoned and I laughed

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!

Jewmanji posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dG91B3hHyY4

Humans will eventually go extinct and this film will somehow be the one remaining piece of evidence of our existence that aliens will chance upon.

Ok, I’ll admit it, the jet ski shot got me good, I’m in for a Wave Race 64 crossover

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

I been wantin to see a honkey dance.
Lol isn't that the one directed by Ben Wheatley?

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
i hope we reach a peaceful understanding with the megs and they become humanity's friend

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

This trailer is funny if you follow the career of Josh Goldstine and his ouster at Uni and now heading WB's team and...bringing Jurassic Park with him

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

Meg 2 looks crazy enough to actually do the ending from the book, Jason Statham's character riding a minisub armed with torpedoes through a super-megalodon's guts like the death star run from Return of the Jedi