Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness
Is windows phone link the go-to app to manage notifications on my desktop and share links between devices or is there something else better?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.

Incessant Excess posted:

Is windows phone link the go-to app to manage notifications on my desktop and share links between devices or is there something else better?

I recently found out that kde connect also works on windows for some reason. It is much better then any other connection apps I have tried.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
I found at least on Windows that the Microsoft app worked better than KDE Connect, for texting anyway. KDE Connect just provided phone numbers in the messaging list.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

I use KDE Connect on both Windows and Linux, and it works great for my purposes.

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!
All I use is : https://messages.google.com/

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

Is that just the web app? Or is there a native app to download and I'm just not seeing it?

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

ex post facho posted:

So I guess YouTube Vanced died? Is there any alternative?

ReVanced is a slightly bigger pain in the rear end to get going than Vanced was, but it's not too hard to comprehend once you get past how badly all the guides are written and how they haven't finished getting the actual website up so it's all on a raw github repo.

1) Download and install the latest version of ReVanced Manager, which is currently this one.
2) Go to APKMirror and download but do not install the non-bundled variant of the most recent version of Youtube that ReVanced supports, which is currently 18.05.40.
3) If your phone isn't rooted, download and install Vanced MicroG. You probably already have this if you've been using Vanced, but it can't hurt to make sure you have the latest version.
4) Open ReVanced Manager. Tap Patcher, then "Select an application", then the "Storage" button at the bottom, then select the Youtube APK you downloaded from APKMirror.
5) Tap "Select patches" and pick which of the ~60 available patches you want. If your phone isn't rooted, make sure the MicroG Support patch is selected.
6) Tap the Patch button and wait for it to finish.
7) I've been told you should disable the 'real' Youtube app as well, but I'm not sure why or what happens if you don't. It was able to coexist with Vanced just fine on my phone.

If the version of Youtube you get back is throwing weird errors about not having an internet connection on the home page or when you try to log in, open your phone settings, search for Accounts, tap Manage Accounts, then Manage Accounts again, remove any accounts connected to Vanced MicroG, then log back in through your patched Youtube app.

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

I just installed newpipe from f-droid and it did not require any extra work.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Aside from the extra work of setting your subscriptions up again, you mean?

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Dabir posted:

Aside from the extra work of setting your subscriptions up again, you mean?

You can just export from YouTube and import them in.

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Nah, all my subscriptions are in an rss feed the way God intended.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Nitrousoxide posted:

I've done that, and "just" is doing some lifting there

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Nitrousoxide posted:

if you use other features like watch history or watch later etc you're up poo poo creek but

it's good otherwise

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

I don't know how janky it is in reality, but you can export your subscriptions and import them into a Piped account and then use LibreTube and/or a Piped Redirects webbrowser add-on and it will idk keep track of subscriptions, watched history, watch later or something.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.
Hello thread. Are the OP recs for wallpaper needs (Muzei, Tapet) still good ones or should I go with something else? I have the Samsung default video lock screen and the matching wallpaper. Ideally whatever app I use would manage both, like a theme. For I am very lazy, you see.

I'm happy with geometric designs, colour gradients, and otherwise abstract designs, in case it makes a difference. Any suggestions?

Soysaucebeast
Mar 4, 2008

I still use Muzei and it still works just fine for me. I just wish I could sync it to a Google photos album like I can on my PC instead of needing to have the wallpapers downloaded, but that's a small enough quibble.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

What's a good app for tracking/logging detailed weightlifting? So I can build my own workouts, I don't want one that gives me premade ones.

Necronormiecon
Mar 12, 2019

Farewell, sweet Nerevar. Better luck on your next incarnation.

CLAM DOWN posted:

What's a good app for tracking/logging detailed weightlifting? So I can build my own workouts, I don't want one that gives me premade ones.

Strong.

Exercise library, clean UI and you don't need to pay.

incogneato
Jun 4, 2007

Zoom! Swish! Bang!
I like FitNotes.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

FitNotes is fantastic.

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Birds do not want you to know any more than you already do.

Trabant posted:

Hello thread. Are the OP recs for wallpaper needs (Muzei, Tapet) still good ones or should I go with something else? I have the Samsung default video lock screen and the matching wallpaper. Ideally whatever app I use would manage both, like a theme. For I am very lazy, you see.

I'm happy with geometric designs, colour gradients, and otherwise abstract designs, in case it makes a difference. Any suggestions?

Tapet is still good. They've added a lot of fun designs over the years. Plus it can save to a folder and you can sync it with Google Photos.

XeeD
Jul 10, 2001
I see invisible dumptrucks.

Dabir posted:

reVanced instructions

Thanks for this, fella. I was starting to panic over how I was going to replace Vanced.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
I followed this guide to get ReVanced on my tablet. Had to do it a second time to update to fix the playback issue I was having.

https://www.reddit.com/r/revancedapp/comments/xlcny9/revanced_manager_guide_for_dummies/

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

effika posted:

Tapet is still good. They've added a lot of fun designs over the years. Plus it can save to a folder and you can sync it with Google Photos.

Soysaucebeast posted:

I still use Muzei and it still works just fine for me. I just wish I could sync it to a Google photos album like I can on my PC instead of needing to have the wallpapers downloaded, but that's a small enough quibble.

Thank you both! :tipshat:

Funso Banjo
Dec 22, 2003

My 77 year old mother is getting her first smartphone, and when I let her play with mine she struggled.

I'm looking for an email client that is super simple, because when I let her play with spark it blew her mind and she got very stuck.

In the same vein, what are great, overly simple apps you would recommend for an older person? To cover basics, like weather, email, a bit of news. Preferably apps that aren't ever, ever going to ask for money, because my mother appears to be the type of person who will happily throw money at anything that asks her for some with zero thought.

Funso Banjo fucked around with this message at 22:00 on May 5, 2023

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

It's probably no help but I was reminded of the Baldphone launcher that turns your phone into something like this:

and was sad to see it hadn't seen updates recently. You can still get it on f-droid but eh.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
One thing I had to do on my mom's phone is take away anything that would change a setting with a single click. Removed everything I could from the Quick Settings, as she'd accidentally turn off wi-fi or go into airplane mode. I made shortcuts to her primary contacts on the home screen, but they go to the contact page, not automatically make a phone call. She does so much tapping without realizing.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Flipperwaldt posted:

It's probably no help but I was reminded of the Baldphone launcher that turns your phone into something like this:

and was sad to see it hadn't seen updates recently. You can still get it on f-droid but eh.

Today my mom screenshot the iOS update page, from the settings screen, and asked if it was a scam

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Honestly, for an older person with their first smartphone I might think about iOS; it forces you to do things its own way more than Android, but on the other hand it can be less confusing for a beginner for the same reason.

Although that opinion was formed a while ago, I don't know if it's kept that lately.

Flipperwaldt posted:

There's a company called Emporia that makes phones for elderly with android skinned like this. No idea if it's any good though.

Funso Banjo posted:

I'm looking for an email client that is super simple, because when I let her play with spark it blew her mind and she got very stuck.

My go-to for email is just outlook and then turn off all the swipe actions and focused inbox and smart things. That might not be simple enough though.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 06:40 on May 6, 2023

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

My 80 year-old dad has been doing pretty well with a Pixel 6a, mainly because he is able to do so much just by talking to it. He has started texting and using navigation, and is getting more and more comfortable with it the longer he has it. Once I demonstrated how good the speech recognition is and what you can do with it he saw cellphones in a different light.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

CaptainSarcastic posted:

He has started texting and using navigation,

I wish my mom could figure out navigation. Find the address, press start, plug into your car, it will tell you where to go!

Instead, I get random phone calls where she tells me what street she is passing (keeps driving during this part) and I need to type in the address and tell her where to go!

Speech recognition is a good idea. Maybe I can see if she would use it. But, she's an immigrant with a Polish accent and doesn't know the correct English word often enough to where I can see Assistant not knowing wtf she wants. (thinking about when I had Fi and Google would "try" to give me a text version of their voicemails, but would give me English words when they were talking in Polish...)

Funso Banjo
Dec 22, 2003

I'm going to try the BBC weather app, that should never ask for money. The Gmail app doesn't seem too complicated, right? Can you use icloud addresses in the Gmail app?

And I did think ios might be better, but my wife has already ordered her a cheap oneplus nord, so for now that's what we're going to go with.

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

It is always Friday night, motherfuckers

Uthor posted:

I wish my mom could figure out navigation. Find the address, press start, plug into your car, it will tell you where to go!

Instead, I get random phone calls where she tells me what street she is passing (keeps driving during this part) and I need to type in the address and tell her where to go!

Speech recognition is a good idea. Maybe I can see if she would use it. But, she's an immigrant with a Polish accent and doesn't know the correct English word often enough to where I can see Assistant not knowing wtf she wants. (thinking about when I had Fi and Google would "try" to give me a text version of their voicemails, but would give me English words when they were talking in Polish...)

Does Google's speech recognition only work in English?

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Funso Banjo posted:

I'm going to try the BBC weather app, that should never ask for money. The Gmail app doesn't seem too complicated, right? Can you use icloud addresses in the Gmail app?

Yeah, there's pages about hooking your icloud up to android like this no idea if it's a decent guide or not but yeah it looks like you can hook icloud up to gmail, you've gotta create a third-party-app password for it.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Cool Dad posted:

It did a long time ago when I had a service that would work with my voicemail. I think I it's multi-language, now, but I haven't tried in a while. Maybe I'll try to set a timer in Polish later today! And I wouldn't be surprised with it messing up if you switch languages in the middle of a sentence, like my family tends to do.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Cool Dad posted:

It definitely works better in English. I've got an Android phone with a dedicated assistant button for some reason and whenever I set an alarm or timer I don't bother with my native tongue.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

It's just bad enough when you're an australian that most people don't bother.

forest spirit
Apr 6, 2009

Frigate Hetman Sahaidachny
First to Fight Scuttle, First to Fall Sink

Usually when an older, less tech literate person is getting a smart phone, see if they have a friend in their age bracket with a similar device. If Aunt Bernie spends most days at bingo with her bff Trudy who has an iPhone and told her to get one then don't get an android.

But generally iPhones are the way to go

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

For reasons that only make sense to me, I want to customize my phone so certain apps don’t work while I’m at home.

It’s a long story but I’m way too distracted working from home and need to block some apps to force myself to get outta the house

Would Tasker help with something like this? I used Tasker ages ago but haven’t needed it for a while

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

I don't have an answer for you, but I really wish Android had a two layer Do Not Disturb system, one to filter out work apps and the other for everything. Like, don't give me Outlook notifications after 6 pm or on the weekends, completely silence my phone at night.